[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Magic from DeS to DS2 >the most overpowered shit ever,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6
>Magic from DeS to DS2
>the most overpowered shit ever, you can oneshot everything from a distance. literally easy mode
>this is ok

>Magic in DS3
>you have to make an effort to make a viable magic build. some bosses are actually challenging this way
>this is not ok
Explain
>>
You can't make lightning miracles work. Even stake which is point blank damage is too weak.
>>
I'm not a magic user, but if I had a complaint it would be that magic is fucking boring. No good spells at all, just soul arrow, soul spear, soul greatsword.
>>
File: DragonsDogmaScreenshot_39.jpg (61 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
DragonsDogmaScreenshot_39.jpg
61 KB, 1280x720
>>338034197
>No good spells at all, just soul arrow, soul spear, soul greatsword.
It's been like this always. It's certainly no Dragons Dogma.
>>
>>338034321
>le hold button for epic magic
fucking DD shills your games sucks.
>>
>>338034421
Just like Souls, DD coming to PC was a mistake
>>
>>338034742
I own the PS3 version because you fags baited me into buying this trash game.
>>
>>338034742
Because now the whole world can see that your epic exclusive wasn't that good in the first place?
>>
>>338034853
Yeah Dark Souls is pretty shit
>>
>>338034893
Imagine if BB actually did come to PC.

Shit would get exposed so fast
>>
>>338033509
but magic was shit in DS2
in dark souls 1 a good magic can damage as much as three-four sword hits, in dark souls 2 and 3, you need to switch magic every ten seconds because some enemy are completely resistant, making your build worthless

a strength build, that's what i'm talking about
only piles of goo resist to being punched in the face
>>
>>338033509
>need twice the stat investment to get worthwhile damage
>barely any fun and viable spells
>half the enemies and bosses in PvE are resistant to it anyway

Pointless before 60 int, and by then you're done with the game or PvPing
>>
>>338034197
Farron magic is the next big thing, they make magic users able to keep up with quick melee players using fast and cheap spells.
>>
>Almost every weapon is viable in previous games
>DS3
>Short sword or you're done kid
>>
>>338035245
none of my playthroughs have been with a shortsword so can't agree to this

perhaps you should become better?
>>
>>338034971
This, I'm pretty fuckin sick of sonyggers shitposting our board, but who am I kidding, they'd just find a way to defend shitborne anyway
>>
>>338035581

And how much have you PVP'd?

Due to poise being shit in this game, short sword types are literally just better than big weapons
>>
>>338035641
Yhorm's Machete destroys any memestoc or dank sword user
>>
>>338034793
>he played the original release
i actually feel sorry for you
>>
>>338035610
>>338034971

Oh please, if BB was on PC you faggots would be shitting on dark souls non stop

You're just anally annihilated that you can't play Miyazaki's best game
>>
Clutch rings need to go
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 480x647) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 480x647
>>338033509
>always played games doing strength build because fuck magic
>game is harder this way
>DS3
>strength build
>get steamrolled by dex fags because no poise
>using regular greatsword, not even an ultra great sword
>still hardest way to play
>no love for Str users ever

What the fuck
>>
>>338033509
> >this is not ok
In my opinion it's not that ok, no.

I always liked the idea about having some kind of difficulty choice build in game: want an easier game, go magic, want a harder game go melee.
So I'm not too keen on this new approach. I'd very much like for FROM to put some powerful spells easy enough to find/buy just so some people can have a easier experience if they want, and maybe keep some cool and powerful ones, harder to find, for those who actually like to go in depth with the game.

Honestly I never liked to use magic in any Souls game, but I liked having the option.
>>
>>338035915
I played BB on a borrowed PS4. It's good, but not worth a whole console.

It has its fair share of flaws but you literally can't mention them unless you want the entire sonybrigade on your back demanding proofs you own the game/console
>>
Pyromancy is pretty fucking good in Das3. I finally got to my pyromancy playthrough and after getting the Chaos fire orb the game has become a cakewalk.
>>
>>338035197
Except farron magic does like zero damage and doesn't stun.
>>
>>338036074
Lrn2hyperarmor

Seriously, it helps.
>>
>>338035641
Astora Greatsword is extremely viable you shitter. I used that for my quality build. For my STR build I used Yhorm's Machete and before that The Greatsword. I pvp a lot and win most fights.
>>
>>338036339
Hyper armor is shit on Executioners Greatsword sadly, and hyper armor is so dumb in a game like this, it's not street fighter, I can't fathom who thought it was a good decision
>>
>>338036074
You should use an ultra greatsword. Regular greatswords are trash, since they do at best 10% more damage than a straight sword, but are twice as slow, consume twice the stamina, and don't have the hyperarmor of ultras.

Greataxes are also universally fantastic.
>>
Will they buff Power Within? It's so shit now.
>>
>>338033509
>you only have so many spell casts

>you have to rescue NPCs to get spells

>you have to find books on the ground to get more spells

>the somewhat decent spells are near endgame

>you have to give up ringslots and more levels than ever for magic to be viable even late game

>your playstyle is way more limited in a magic school than it is going str, dex, or ref where you can infuse weapons so more than ever you can swap weapons on a whim

>In DAS3 enemies are faster and more aggressive than ever and only miracles have hyper armor if you go with a talisman
Magic being OP was the REWARD in demons souls. at this point they split up the magic schools, made it more annoying to get spells, restrict how many times you can use a spell, but make up for it with spells being worse. "glass cannon" is the only way to make a caster build viable, and even still thats a stretch. even the most powerful caster class, pyro, isnt as effective as just going with a weapon. early game balence is something das3 needed to work on in general, but it just makes spells not fun until like the very end of the game. and have fun using them on the twin princes, nameless king, and soul of cinder. oh and thats not even giving a shit about pvp.
>>
Being overpowered is fun as fuck, what's the issue here
>>
>>338036521
Two-handed r1s on greatsword have hyperarmor though
>>
>>338036074
Strength builds are easymode anon. Btw greatswords are the 2nd most shit weapon class in the game. 1st goes to axes. Use an ultra greatsword or great mace. You will thank me later.
>>
>>338033509

Imagine if everytime you swung your weapon it used stamina, but now imagine your stamina didn't regenerate. The only way to get it back would be either to rest at a Bonfire, or use a Stamina Estus.

That is what it's like being a mage in DS3.
>>
>>338036657
And are parryable, unlike most ultra 2H R1s.
>>
>>338035641
you sound like an honest to god shitter yes straight sword is in imbalance state now but that doesnt mean every other weapon is LITERALLY useless you fucking mong.
>>
>>338036521
hyper armor was a godsend for strength builds. the problem is though that they dont do enough damage.

god, remember when you decided to stop being a dex bitch and used the greataxe/club to bully everything is das1? never looking back.....
>>
>>338035641
I'd love to facefuck you with my cathedral ultra gs.
>>
File: knight_wallpaper_high_resolution.jpg (328 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
knight_wallpaper_high_resolution.jpg
328 KB, 1920x1080
>>338036074
Same here STR bro. Using a caestus offhand to parry works wonders though.
>>
>>338036817
Well yes, but you still have the hyperarmour and that tiny bit more damage
>>
>>338036253
Flashsword does as much damage as quality dark sword. More if opponent has shit magic resist which is common for boring quality builds.
Dart is like a throwing knife with a damage of kukri.
>>
>>338036724
>the great mace weapon looks cool
>has the shittiest scaling ever
It really should get a buff.
>>
>>338037030
Meant great hammers. Been using vordts far too long.
>>
>>338036076
oh man i can see the irony magic user are one of the most hated build in des,das, and das2 due to their ability to steamrolled one-shot everyone form afar with very low skill ceiling. suddenly magic being shit in das3 everyone started to white knight magic user.
>>
Because shocker: People liked to cheese in Souls.

They enjoy the ego boost of playing Souls, while skipping out on the frustration. Most people don't actually enjoy hard games, they just enjoy people thinking they enjoy hard games.
>>
>>338036092
I know, I played it on youtube, sonyggers just praise it because it's their literally one exclusive, Dark Souls 3 ended up being better too and now they're asspained to oblivion
>>
>>338036506
You wot m8 hyperarmour literally provide the biggest crutch for strength user.
>>
File: yhorms_great_machete.png (21 KB, 222x270) Image search: [Google]
yhorms_great_machete.png
21 KB, 222x270
>>338036074
>str faggots are crying about str weapons despite having best str weapons since des
you fucktards will never be happy
>>
>>338036604
>the somewhat decent spells are near endgame
The only spell you really need are greater soul arrow and the slow version of it which you gain both very early. The rest of the spells aren't that useful unless you want to PvP.

>and have fun using them on the twin princes, nameless king, and soul of cinder
By the time you're fighting them you should already do a ton of damage with your spells.

What really sucks is that you have to give up so many Estus Flasks just to cast spells, but it really isn't as bad as people say. I played through the game with pure magic and it was easier than with my melee play throughs.
>>
>>338036968

>Implying

Dart does fucking no damage at all.

The only viable spells considering damage/cost are the Soul Arrow spells which are very boring, cheezy and aren't even that good. The problem with sorcerers are that there are a huge amount of spells, but none of them are usable.

Claymore +10 Crystal Magic Weapon gets outdamaged by the Deep infusion.
>>
>>338037139

It's still easy as fuck to one-shot people with magic in DS3. I do it all the time, in fact it's the only PvP I do now because it's the only way I deal with Gank Squads. From wants me to fight 3v1, so I just one-shot the host. Fuck off From, nice try though ;)

So that irritating and annoying part of magic hasn't changed. What HAS changed is that magic is garbage in PvE, Faith is now garbage.

All these changes and nerfs to magic and yet, you can still just one-shot people in PvP. So all those changes and nerfs were completely pointless.

It's garbage game design and From have had 6 patches to fix their mistake.
>>
I don't like how little damage magic does in general, even with magic boosting rings

I also don't like how they ditched one of the few things 2 did right and give some casting related hats benefits. Dusk's Crown is the only one that does anything, when Karla's hat and Sage's Big Hat and others would benefit from other effects
>>
>>338036968
>Crystal Rapier
>Spending any points into str/dex at all
You're a disgrace to every sorcerer.
>>
>>338033509
At 60 faith Sunlight Spears and Great Chaos Fireball can carry you over the game pretty well.

The shittiest thing is having to switch between the glove and chime all the time and do the same with the estus. Plus the Darkmoon Blade for those enemies resistant to both Light and Fire damage.
>>
>>338037587

I put one point of strength into my Sorcerer build so I could use Enchanted Short Sword, fight me.
>>
>>338037587
Good thing you're not looking at my build.

I'm mixing all magic kinds with halberds, with the hope of using Gundyr's at least two handed
>>
>>338036092
I agree with you, but I feel that way for the entire franchise. A lot of Souls games flaws are disregarded by the fans because they legitimately can't comprehend that a game they like isn't actually that great. I fucking love Souls games, but some of the franchise is just total shit. Same goes for Bloodborne, which is my personal favourite. It's also plagued by shit design choices. Who the fuck thought the lamps taking you back to the dream every time was a good idea?
>>
>>338037726
Use Rapier/Mail Breaker you faggot. Actually, use the fucking candle and never melee attack anything.
>>
>>338037587
>not using a dedicated int weaponry created by the most powerful scholars in entire Lothric
>>
>>338037443
I hope you're talking about pve nigger because for pvp your statement is hilariously wrong and you've obviously never used sorcery clutch + crown of dusk.
>>
>>338037973
>dedicated int weaponry
>requires more str than a fucking battle axe
>>
>>338038165
MLGS is a dedicated INT weapon and needs more STR than most axes, so what?
>>
>>338034421
How is Souls' trash magic system any better. At least DD had interesting spells like the Lightning Whip, setting yourself on fire, fucking raining meteors, and fucking 50 ice torpedos.
>>
>>338036834

>Yes you're right but that doesn't mean you're right!

Lol
>>
>>338037441
Nameless king is one of the easiest bosses to kill as a sorcerer. both phases
>>
>>338037906
They're flawed masterpieces for the most part. It's kind of frustrating that From doesn't and won't go and fix a lot of the issues with the games, like Dark Souls 1's latter half, Gravelording, Bloodborne lamps and optimization, making some character quests a lot less retardedly vague, and Dark Souls 3's entire online making half the covenants nonfunctional for most of the playerbase.
>>
>first playthrough as sorcerer, die to everything, do piss poor damage to certain bosses/monsters, takes me 30 minutes to kill the first crystal lizard
>struggle on probably 50% of the bosses
>near the end of the game unlock some cool spells and really enjoy my character

>new playthru as pyro
>everything i died to as sorcerer i kill in one try with way more damage and take less damage

is sorcerer bad in the beginning or did i just get gud?
>>
>>338037906
Flaws are always easier to forgive in a diamond in a rough kind of situations, which Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were.

But now the franchise has a huge following and marketing and memes associated with it. It somehow exists in this weird limbo between niche and AAA popularity and nobody knows how to judge it accordingly anymore.
>>
>>338033509
>It's everyone elses fault you didn't factor in magic damage into your armour choices
>>
>>338039375
I think the damage values for sorcery and miracles are bugged while pyro stuff is just fine. If you don't think that's possible, just remember poise
>>
>>338039375
Pyro is really good against bosses.
>>
>>338038294
I like Dragon's Dogma more than Souls games and while I agree that magic in DD looks cool, it gets boring really fast.
>Early game
>Flame boon + M1

>Mid game/End game
>Lassitude everything
>Comesticon/Bolide/Fulmination/Misma/Gicel

>Post end game
>Holy affinity + M1
There's a lot of spells, but only a handful of them are useful. And the whole sorcerer gameplay isn't very interesting.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.