[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is the best single player FPS since Half-Life 2. >fast
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 15
File: Doom4Splash.jpg (160 KB, 729x1000) Image search: [Google]
Doom4Splash.jpg
160 KB, 729x1000
This is the best single player FPS since Half-Life 2.
>fast paced
>great fov
>minimal and non intrusive hud
>no reloading
>great variety of weapons and upgrades
>non linear level design
>good story with very little cutscenes
>well balanced platforming and action

neo/v/ can get triggered all it want, you don't have shit on this masterpiece.
>>
File: 1456941359127.jpg (31 KB, 496x497) Image search: [Google]
1456941359127.jpg
31 KB, 496x497
>>338022614
>masterpiece.
This again?

I like the game anon, you dont have to be a cunt about this.
>>
How long is it?
>>
File: Image_165.png (155 KB, 287x275) Image search: [Google]
Image_165.png
155 KB, 287x275
Oh, this thread again.
>>
File: 1463412567584.jpg (44 KB, 321x362) Image search: [Google]
1463412567584.jpg
44 KB, 321x362
Didnt we have this exact thread yesterday?

Are you trying to make this undermeme 2.0?
>>
>>338023495
>>338023576
but he's right mates.
>>
> Feels more like Serious Sam than Doom
> Muh hardcore epic soldier
> Good story? Really?
> Every fucking thing shines
> Bad OST
> Design of enemies is crap

Mfw they finally killed Doom, making it a fucking piece of shit for american fat casual children.
>>
WOOM
>>
WOMB
>>
SHROOM
>>
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 400x1053) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 400x1053
This game is 2 hard for me. Am I casual scum? I'm on the middle difficulty and barely passed the hell map after trying a million times. I gave up on the map after that. It stopped being fun.
>>
TOOM
>>
>>338023789
Yeah you're pretty bad.
>>
BOOM
>>
>>338023678
>Feels more like Serious Sam

Eh that isn't bad.

I haven't played the game yet but I'd rather it play like serious sam then doom 3
>>
>>338022614
>>fast paced
>>great fov
>>minimal and non intrusive hud
>>
>>338023678
> Feels more like Serious Sam than Doom
Never played SS but I've played a lot of original doom. It feels close enough.
Implying the original Dooms weren't just as self-indulgent
> Good story? Really?
Good for its absence, but mildly interesting too
Turn it off
> Bad OST
Parts are alright. I mute it and play hymns anyway.
> Design of enemies is crap
This is true.
>>
>>338023885
:^(
>>
>>338023789
yea you're fucking awful

start on nightmare or don't bother
>>
ZOOM
>>
>no reloading
Dropped.
>>
>>338023678
>Muh hardcore epic soldier
Nigga the original dooms were like that as well.

Even in the fucking comics they portray doom guy like that
>>
Soundtrack sucks though.
>>
ROOM
>>
>>338023789
You should apply for a job at Polygon
>>
>>338024017
Nightmare is locked at first. Did you actually play the game or are you shitposting
>>
>>338024087
No it ain't, its just in red text.
>>
File: Comic.jpg (65 KB, 548x242) Image search: [Google]
Comic.jpg
65 KB, 548x242
>>338024059
>>338023678
forgot image
>>
>>338024087
no it isn't

ultra nightmare is

did you even play?
>>
>>338022614
>non linear level design

It's completely linear you idiot, just because there are few secret rooms doesn't make it nonlinear.
Nonlinear means that there are different routes through levels that maybe even lead to different level ends, Doom has literally just one route every level you will follow until the one and only ending point of that level.
>>
>>338024129
Oh that makes sense. Assumed that meant it was locked lol
>>
>>338022614
>good story with very little cutscenes

The ending is literally just a giant squeal hook that doesn't tie in any lose ends.
>>
>>338023965
>> Feels more like Serious Sam than Doom
>Never played SS but I've played a lot of original doom. It feels close enough.
>> Muh hardcore epic soldier
>Implying the original Dooms weren't just as self-indulgent
>> Good story? Really?
>Good for its absence, but mildly interesting too
>> Every fucking thing shines
>Turn it off
>> Bad OST
>Parts are alright. I mute it and play hymns anyway.

- No. It doesnt.
- The first doom guy was just a soldier. Not a chosen one but a guy that was in the wrong place. No other shit involved.
- WTF is that crusade armored space guys? Really? "Demonic invasion alert". WTF?
- So for the game to be good I have to mute and turn off stuff?

>>338024059
>>
>>338024321
>The first doom guy was just a soldier. Not a chosen one but a guy that was in the wrong place. No other shit involved.
It's the same doom guy.
>>
>>338024143
Just a fucking comic that probably didnt even had the overview of the team. Quoting that at the start of the game felt like exaclty what I said: a hardcore game for american fat casuals like the comic that everybody shows up like that small part of it is the entire story about Doom.
>>
>>338022614
It's true.
>>
>>338024386
That's exactly why the story is lame and wrong.
>>
>>338024321
>- No. It doesnt.
My opinion > your opinion. When was the last time you played the original Doom vanilla, anyway? Because I played it last week. It feels fine.

>- The first doom guy was just a soldier. Not a chosen one but a guy that was in the wrong place. No other shit involved.
Someone doesn't remember the story slides in between episodes very well, then. He was a regular soldier but he was still treated as le hardcore epic ripping and tearing man.

>- WTF is that crusade armored space guys? Really? "Demonic invasion alert". WTF?
It's background window dressing. The game is set a few hundred years after the original Dooms, and humanity is very familiar with Hell and how it works.

>- So for the game to be good I have to mute and turn off stuff?
For the game to fit your specific tastes you may have to customise it to your own tastes, yes. A lot of people are happy with the OST and glowy shit, so I'm not going to count it against the game, but the ability to turn that stuff off if you don't want it I will definitely count in its favour - too few games have that option. I turned off glory kill highlighting, because it turns them into a skill instead of a Press X on Glowy Shit for health. You have to actually visually identify when things are staggered, which can be harder than it sounds. I've gotten killed due to bad calls. That's one of my tastes, and Doom allowed me to customise it to meet my tastes.
>>
>>338023678
was disappointed in the art direction for this, really lacks grit and overly stylized
>>
>>338022614
What is Deus Ex 1
>>
WOOD
>>
>>338025000
I liked them a lot too. Especially the later ones.

Also, checked.
>>
File: 20160510154543_1.jpg (188 KB, 723x829) Image search: [Google]
20160510154543_1.jpg
188 KB, 723x829
How long is the campaign?
>>
I wouldn't say it's the best but it is fun as fuck and I am happy it didn't turn out to be shit

It feels good to pick up all those items off the floor and strafe constantly like in old games.
Doom and Marathon were my favorite games and it reminds me of the two
>>
>>338025268
Took me around 12 hours to finish on highest difficulty and finding 100% of collectibles.
>>
>>338023678
The first doom booklet were littezraly saying shit like "you're one of the most badass and hardcore space marine that ever lived", though.
>>
File: 1089.gif (4 MB, 450x251) Image search: [Google]
1089.gif
4 MB, 450x251
>>338022614
There's been plenty of better FPS games since HL2 though. HL2 is pretty shit without SMOD.
>>
>>338025268
It depends on what difficulty you play on and if you're going to explore or not

And by explore I mean trying to figure shit out by looking at your map and thinking, not watching YouTube videos like a fagget
>>
>>338024613
- I played Doom for the last two years. Vanilla and Brutal Doom. In fact, yesterday I played vanilla Doom and Hell on Earth. As I said, this game feels a lot more like Serious Sam with some multiplayer arenas from time to time.

- He was a soldier, a strong one that had to deal with all that shit. Not a chosen one out of a fucking stone coffin extracted from Mars and with an epic armor made by Demons. A simple fucking marine working for a space company with a simple armor.

- Yeah I know it's background dressing. It doesnt mean its good. "Demonic voice". Lol.

- You are right here. Still the OST still sucks, and the glowy shit just confirms that the game is casual as fuck. I didn't understand why the enemies drop so many glowy stuff either, it removes the exploration part of Doom were you had to find lots of stuff to survive, creating a constant added tension, and the need of exploration. At least they didn't chose the regen health way.

>>338025000
They feel like shit that came out of Gears of War. Its generic, muh hardcore and just ugly. Cacodemons and Baron of hell are ok, tho.

Overall, the problem with this game is that feels more like a game witht he same personality developed by epic games for Gears of War than anything Doom did when the originals came out.
>>
>>338024321
>The first doom guy was just a soldier
Nope. I mean, he was in the first one, but in Doom 2 and especially Final Doom, due to what happened in the first one, he's basically described as the thoughest space fucking marine in existence and described as a legendary badass.

Doom 2016 just carry on.
>>
>>338024059
Being so young you weren't there when the comic was a thing is understandable, but you're so braindead you don't see how ridiculous it was when pretty much everyone did at the time. People like you are going to be doctors and scientists in a few years. Civilization won't survive.
>>
>Super linear arena shooter. You could tell when there was going to be a fight because room was filled with ammo/health pick ups. Between those rooms it was pretty much just linear paths with few short secret paths every once in awhile.
>Boring boss fights
>Shitty story with no real ending
>Half of the guns and their mods were useless
>Chainsaw was turned into "oh no I fucked up save me" button instead of an actual weapon
>Easy as shit even on highest difficulty

Overall it was okay shooter, but not worth the praise some people seem to give to it.
>>
>>338025382
>There's been plenty of better FPS games since HL2 though
go ahead and name them.
>>
>>338025150
What is reading comprehension?
>>
>>338022614
Nice pasta.

As long as this games has out of place designs like rune trials, unimaginative weapons, bland monsters and godawful soundtrack, it really can't be considered masterpiece. 6/10 at best.
>>
>>338025642
>>Easy as shit even on highest difficulty
What am I doing wrong? What weapons did you mostly use?
>>
I'll give the new Doom that it's better then I thought it would be

It still has way too much modern FPS garbage in it

The bright side is maybe if they make a sequel they would correct all the mistakes in this one. they won't
>>
File: 1462726664017.png (318 KB, 496x559) Image search: [Google]
1462726664017.png
318 KB, 496x559
Every time. I think I'm getting burnt out on /v/

>New game comes out
>ITS SHIITTTTTTTT
>nah its just mediocre
>NO ITS SHIIIIIITT
>x20
>/v/ this game is the second coming of christ you have to believe here is some subtle or not so subtle shitpost
>WOWEEEE HOW MUCH DOES X COMPANY PAY YOU I HAVE NO CONCEPT OF LYING ON THE INTERNET UNLESS YOU ARE GETTING PAID TO DO IT OR SHILLING FOR FREE FOR SOMEONE
>Every
>Fucking
>Time
>>
>>338025484
>this game feels a lot more like Serious Sam
Maybe it does, I haven't played Serious Sam. However, feeling like Serious Sam and feeling enough like Doom are not mutually exclusive. It feels enough like Doom for me.

>He was a soldier, a strong one that had to deal with all that shit. Not a chosen one out of a fucking stone coffin extracted from Mars and with an epic armor made by Demons. A simple fucking marine working for a space company with a simple armor.
This was never true, anon. He was never a chosen one, sure, but he was never just another marine. Doomguy was always treated as exceptional, and Doom was always self-indulgent. All D44M did was explain why he was exceptional - it didn't make him exceptional. You may not like the explanation - which is fine - but Doomguy being treated as hot shit isn't new.

>I know it's background dressing. It doesnt mean its good
This is true. I didn't find it too offensive. It serves its purpose and then you can ignore it, and that's enough for me.

>I didn't understand why the enemies drop so many glowy stuff either, it removes the exploration part of Doom were you had to find lots of stuff to survive
Because enemies do a shitton more damage in D44M. Imp fireballs do like 10 points of damage in old Doom, in new doom they do a third or half of your health, and the powered up ones do even more. If they'd gone with the oldschool health drops the entire floor of the level would be a carpet of HP, and any time you got hit you'd have to backtrack. It's not like old Doom didn't litter the floor of its levels with healthpacks either. You rarely had to go off the beaten track to get enough HP to scrape by - maybe before a big fight it was worth going a little ways back to get a drop you missed, but it wasn't like you were constantly on the hunt for medpacks. The levels had more than enough.
>>
>>338025763
You're not going fast enough.

Weapons don't matter, you can beat the entire game with a shotgun and the explosive slugs mod. All you have to do is not get hit. The bigger weapons are a compensation for lack of speed.
>>
>>338025858
Yeah, I'm getting sick of this shit too tbqhwyf. Thinking of moving to Reddit, the crowd there is a bit more tolerable.
>>
File: dhl2.png (29 KB, 708x586) Image search: [Google]
dhl2.png
29 KB, 708x586
>>338022614
Hey marketer, how much longer does your contract last?
>>
File: banner.jpg (17 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
banner.jpg
17 KB, 300x100
>>338025858
>>
File: 1442574174827.gif (2 MB, 350x262) Image search: [Google]
1442574174827.gif
2 MB, 350x262
>>338025960
Like clockwork
>>
>>338022614
>no reloading
Why is that fun?
It removes the balance between ducking for cover and shooting at enemies
>>
>>338025763
Gauss Cannon with the siege mod for big guys or long range engaments.
Gatling Gun with turret mod for moving down smaller enemies.
Super Shotgun as a backup if I had ammo problems.

For early game Heavy Assault Rifle with scope mod is really good as it does insane amounts of damage when upgraded.

Once you get the runes that give armor on glory kill and one that gives you unlimited ammo while you have >100 armor you pretty much invincible.
>>
File: 1439912011064.jpg (34 KB, 640x638) Image search: [Google]
1439912011064.jpg
34 KB, 640x638
Even if it plays good I just can't stand looking at it.
It might be shallow but I hate every single graphical aspect of the game. The weapons, the enemies, the environment. It all looks like dogshit to me.

I was just watching gameplay videos and I can barely differentiate between the different enemies. The original DOOM excelled at having recognisable enemy design but these all look like brown and red blobs.
>>
>>338026075
>ducking for cover
But that's not fun
>>
>>338025959
>>338026076
Thanks for the advice. I'll try again tomorrow with this stuff in mind.
>>
>>338025858
>>338025960
(you)
>>
>>338025647
>FEAR
>SWAT 4
>Republic Commando
>Crysis 1
>Crysis Warhead
>STALKER
>EYE - Divine Cybermancy
>Metro 2033
>Shadow Warrior
>Wolfenstein: TNO
>Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
>Serious Sam 3

HL2 is a shit shooter with lackluster gunplay, poor AI, unskippable cutscenes, and honestly I think the story and atmosphere are dull as fuck.
>>
File: JUST.gif (672 KB, 360x199) Image search: [Google]
JUST.gif
672 KB, 360x199
>>338022614
do you get paid for spamming this shit?
>>
>>338023673
>s-sAME FAGGING
>>
>>338024159
level 3, 4, and 6 are non-linear.
>>
/v/ can never be pleased by anything other than jrpgs you autistic weaboo fucks lmao.

You guys have the shittiest taste I've ever seen. Even /b/ is more tolerable than you muppet farts.
>>
We know it's good anon, you don't need to keep posting this

TOOT
>>
>>338022614
its worse doom

why would anyone ever play it
>>
This looks piss easy as fuck and I've been watching someone play on the hardest starting difficulty, enemies just explode into health or ammo and they get extra for glory kills or chainsaw respectively.

Do we have a new candidate for baby's first fps?
>>
>>338026753
Go back there then.
>>
>>338026268
You might need glasses man.
>>
>>338026847
Yeah I've been watching videos of people playing on what they claim is Ultra Nightmare difficulty and they're just running around melee-ing everything to death. It can't be as easy as it looks but fuck.
>>
>>338026075
>ducking for cover

this is an arena shooter, not a cover shooter.
>>
>>338026927
that only works for the first two levels. bigger enemies cant be meleed to death, and stronger enemies take more chainsaw fuel. eventually, you'll be able to kill maybe 1-2 enemies before you're out of fuel.

game's not particularly hard but its fast, doesn't do the 2 weapon fagginess, and doesn't feature regenerating health. that makes it an above average modern fps for me.
>>
>>338026679
Wow so 3 levels out of 13 you had a small choice of in which order you wanted to do few objectives. Mind you you still needed to do all of them and the end of those levels were still the same regardless.
What a breakthrough example of nonlinear game design that is.
>>
>>338026927
I'm playing on nightmare and one hit even from a normal possessed takes roughly 30 pts of damage. Imp alone does half and a fireball does roughly around 25 to 35. Count all the shit going on at once and even evading becomes priority. So anyone with high level skill of fps could probably do it fine. Slight mistakes can cost though so it's believable but you will definitely have to show it.
>>
The over-reliance on stupid animations kills the game. Glory kills, the chainsaw being turned into an animation weapon, the fucking treatment they gave to the Berserker upgrade.
It's shit, m8.
>>
>>338027394
yeah, that's how old shooters are dumbfuck. you had certain things you had to do to complete levels (like find levers or keycards) along with some optional areas.

and i never said the game was perfect, but at least it has some good shit in it unlike all the other shit that's being made nowadays.
>>
B-b-B-but the MULTIPLAYER IS SHIT!!!
>>
>>338025268
I must be slow as fuck. Just got to hell for the first time playing on ultra violence. 8 hours in.
>>
>>338027808
Point out where I said it was not good you dipstick. It's a good game but calling it nonlinear is just bullshit.
>>
>>338027610
people who just jump into nightmare and say its easy are bullshitting. health packs only restore 1 health while enemies take like half your health from one hit. must people when they say "nightmare" actually probably mean "ultra-violence" which is the higher-medium setting.

and the people who say "lol just melee" are definitely not playing on nightmare. you learn quick that glory kills are a bad choice on nightmare most of the time, since once you're done with the animation you're going to take a massive hit to the face.
>>
Is Doom the new Undertale?
>>
>feels like original doom

does it have secrets?
are the levels maze like?
>>
>>3380240 ayyy LMAO
>>
>>338028591
>does it have secrets?
Yes, quite a lot of them actually
>are the levels maze like?
Not really
>>
DOOM SINGLE PLAYER CRACKEDD
>>
>>338028591
>does it have secrets
Yes it does, some of them are pretty damn well hidden too.

>are the levels maze like
Somewhat, depends on the level. The levels are pretty fucking huge but it really seems like they focused on making it so wherever you go you're going to run into some kind of action, so there's not nearly as many maze-like deadends like the original Dooms.
>>
lel
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.