[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is the most overrated indie game I've ever played
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 12
File: spelunky2.jpg (188 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
spelunky2.jpg
188 KB, 1280x720
This is the most overrated indie game I've ever played

>Extremely easy except for a couple optional areas
>In order to make up for the lack of difficulty, there are instant kills everywhere (rounds will end where you go from 6-10 HP to 0 because of a single miscalculation)
>This "artificial difficulty" makes for an "artificial extender" because despite only having 16 required levels, with only four unique required areas, the game can take a while to beat because these common instant kills.
>The only good levels in the game: Worm/Castle/Hell, aren't rewarding to play through and there's no reason to go out of your way to play them.
>Items make the already easy game even easier.
>Compared to the game it's based off of, La-mulana, it comes off extremely shallow and devoid of content.
>Procedural Generation system isn't all that impressive.
>Only two bosses in the entire game.
>The only redeeming factor is that it's addictive, somewhat charming, and has good controls. It's basically an average "pop song" equivalent to videogames.

I think the only people who consider this that good of a game just had fun, but didn't want to see it improve or become better. Aka the cancer killing videogames.
>>
I can barely make it past the first are because of the controls, I hate this game and regret my purchase.
>>
The only good thing Spelunky has going for it is the soundtrack. Other than that, I don't find the game to be very fun. I feel like there's only one optimal style of play and the skill gap between competent play and skilled play is too wide.
>>
>>338012847
>he skill gap between competent play and skilled play is too wide.
Too short, you mean, because there's no such thing as being "too wide" in any case.
>>
File: CV1wpdJVAAAY8Hx.png (253 KB, 600x379) Image search: [Google]
CV1wpdJVAAAY8Hx.png
253 KB, 600x379
I got this game because I was told it was based off La-mulana.

Boy was I disappointed
>>
You deserve getting conned by those faggots for thinking it was ever not going to be trash.
>>
File: 1455957921195.gif (160 KB, 749x578) Image search: [Google]
1455957921195.gif
160 KB, 749x578
>>338012676
I think it's pretty good
>>
File: spelunker-usa.png (294 KB, 360x500) Image search: [Google]
spelunker-usa.png
294 KB, 360x500
>>338012676
>>Compared to the game it's based off of, La-mulana

???
>>
>>338013083
The creator's primary inspiration was La-mulana. He never even played spelunker.
>>
>>338013146
lol
>>
>>338013146
Source: my ass
>>
>>338013264
Source: wikipedia
>>
>>338012676
>This is the most overrated indie game I've ever played
Overrated as fuck like most "succesful" indie titles but you haven't played too many indies if you think this is the most overrated piece of shit they've created, try Limbo if you want that.
>>
>>338012676
I found La mulana to be meh too. I guess indie/doujin games aren't my thing.
>>
File: Capture.png (41 KB, 1660x186) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
41 KB, 1660x186
>>338013594
>>
>>338013916
Kek.
>>
>>338012676
>Game is extremely easy
>Except for parts that aren't, which I'll buzzword as 'artificial difficulty'
Great review OP, where can I subscribe?
>>
>>338014058
/thread
While this game is overrated his points are extremely retarded for the most part.
>>
>extremely easy
>b-but the instant kills are ch-cheap
>m-m-merely a miscalculation
lmao
get good
>>
>>338012676
>in order to make up for the lack of difficulty they made the game more difficult

Do you have brain damage that only allows you to see the moment to moment difficulty of a game, with things like harsh punishment or the requirement for consistency being artificial?
>>
>>338012775
try remapping them you numb cunt
>>
File: 1462180157484.jpg (69 KB, 600x578) Image search: [Google]
1462180157484.jpg
69 KB, 600x578
>the people who have fun enjoying entertainment are the cancer killing entertainment
no op, you are the cancer
>>
File: spelunky.png (63 KB, 637x244) Image search: [Google]
spelunky.png
63 KB, 637x244
>>338012676
I'm sorry OP you hate fun.

Spelunky is a great game because it's short, it has nearly unlimited replay value and it's not "extremely easy". The music and the artstyle is also top notch.

Also for the instant kills, learn to play AKA git gud.
>>
File: 1463535952077.jpg (58 KB, 447x448) Image search: [Google]
1463535952077.jpg
58 KB, 447x448
>>338014058
>>338014229
>Make a single mistake and lose all progress = difficulty
No. Even if you give someone the easiest task of all time, such as standing still, they'll eventually make a mistake. That doesn't make standing still hard.
>>
>>338016945
nice excuse faggot
have you tried getting good instead?
>>
File: 1461392478979.jpg (99 KB, 703x516) Image search: [Google]
1461392478979.jpg
99 KB, 703x516
>>338017014
The game is easy you fucking casual. Instant Kills does not make a game hard.
>>
>>338017098
>the game is easy
>except when it's not easy
perchance you can attempt to become better?
>>
>>338017151
See here's where you're making a mistake (as simple as dying in spelunky).

Never did I say "except when it's not easy"

I said "the game is easy" and "thing that you think is difficulty is, in fact, not difficulty."

Instant kills don't make a game hard.

Standing still is easy, standing still for an hour is, again, easy. People will fail to stand still for an hour, however, because we are imperfect beings.

Fighting off a giant monster is hard, because it requires much more from you and actually stimulates you.

If spelunky removed instant kills, the game would only change in that it's shorter.
>>
>>338017394
>calls others autistic
>posts THIS
holy shit my man
it would really be in your best interest to sustain skill
>>
>>338017484
Alright, seeing as you're not willing to digest "reason" or "knowledge" I'm going to hope that you're just trolling, as most of /v/ does. No more (You)'s for you.
>>
File: 1462308489999.png (23 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1462308489999.png
23 KB, 225x225
>>338017394
If the game is so easy then why don't you just dodge all the instant kills and win every time?
>>
>>338017558
You probably think standing still for an hour is easy, correct? Then do it.

I'm going to bet you can't do it, but it's still not hard.
>>
>>338017628
Trying to equate standing still for an hour to playing a videogame that takes less than thirty minutes to complete if you're a slow player is grasping at such thin straws that I'm not even sure they are considered straws anymore. Please stop posting.
>>
>>338017394
>Instant kills don't make a game hard.
They make it hard otherwise the game would be a cakewalk with or without them, maybe your problem is that it doesn't feel like a fair challenge to you?
>>
>>338017556
maybe if you stopped digesting "semen" and "feces" and got good then you wouldn't have to shitpost about instant kills in spelunky and would be able to get good instead
>>
>Instant kills are artificial difficulty
So any game with bottomless pits/spikes are bullshit now?
>>
>>338017769
The game is a cakewalk without them, but then you get hit by one enemy and fall into lava at the end because of the awkward combat. Or maybe you didn't quit grasp the knockback of the shotgun and shot into an endless pit. Or maybe you got hit by something that ricochet and then you fall down and get raped by the natives.

The game requires perfection, and regardless it's easy.

It's a lazy, cheap way to be difficult. Instead of La-mulana, which gives you atleast 20 hits but the bosses are still some of the most challenging you'll ever fight.
>>
>>338017628
I could put an audiobook on and stand still for an hour easily. I probably wouldn't feel anything other than a slight stiffness in my legs which would undoubtedly wear off after I started moving again. I'm not entirely sure what your point is. That avoiding instant kills in spelunky is doable, but a pain? Maybe you should play a less challenging game if you feel that way.
>>
>>338018003
Yes. That's why Fighting Games, Rhythm Games, Puzzle Games, RTS, and most competitive games shit on platformers and the like in terms of difficulty without having to resort to bullshit like that.
>>
>>338018009
>awkward combat
my man I thought you were retarded before, but this takes the cake
g
e
t

g
o
o
d
>>
>>338018071
>I could put an audiobook on and stand still for an hour easily.
And I can beat spelunky, easily.

That's my point. It's easy to do.

>Maybe you hsould play a less challenging game
Or I can play a game that's more stimulating with actual difficulty because it's ultimately fair but still requires a heavy amount of cognitive effort.

Again, such as fighting/rhythm/puzzle/rts games.
>>
>>338018009
>The game is a cakewalk without them, but then you get hit by one enemy and fall into lava at the end because of the awkward combat. Or maybe you didn't quit grasp the knockback of the shotgun and shot into an endless pit. Or maybe you got hit by something that ricochet and then you fall down and get raped by the natives.
All of those are your fault not the game"s and you could try other ways to solve them anyway. Seriously your complaints are pretty fucking stupid
>>
>>338018084
>>338018171
In other words your problem is the genre not the game.
>>
>>338016945
Except you can avoid those mistakes. The game gives you all the tools you need to avoid them.

Let's go with a TV Tropes definition of Artificial Difficulty.
>Bad technical aspects make it difficult. Making a difficult jump is a real difficulty. Making a same difficult jump with overly complex controls, bad jumping physics, or an abrupt mid-air change of camera angle - and therefore the orientation of your controls - is fake difficulty.
The controls aren't overly complex, the jumping physics are solid enough, and there is no real mid-air change of the camera angle to affect your controls.
>The outcome is not reasonably determined by the player's actions
Not even remotely applicable.
>Denial of information critical to progress.
It's a platformer, it gives you all of the information you need.
>The outcome of the game is influenced by decisions that were uninformed at the time and cannot be undone.
Not really an applicable point.
>The game requires the player to use skills or knowledge that are either incorrect or have nothing to do with the genre.
Also not really applicable. Everything is based purely on your platformer skills.

So, buddy, you just don't like instant kill mechanics because you have to restart. That doesn't mean it's fake difficulty. It just means you need to learn to better avoid said deaths.
>>
>>338018276
Artificial difficulty is "wahhh I can't avoid this it's the game's fault!".
>>
>>338018187
>All of those are your fault not the games
You're right.

That doesn't change the fact they're such minor mistakes that they don't warrant going back to the beginning of the game.

Seriously, it's such a copout to make your game short.

Do you think that I should die instantly for missing one note in this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrBSqRbkypI

No, obviously not. That'd be completely retarded and the game is already challenging enough for me to lose at because I'm simply not good enough.
>>
>>338018276
>Everything is based purely on your platformer skills.
Have you even played spelunky? It's barely a "platformer." The skill comes, essentially, from not being hit by anything.

>>338018273
There isn't a single "roguelite/roguelike" that's challenge comes from instant deaths and not actual difficulty aside from Spelunky.
>>
>>338018438
>It's barely a platformer
What the hell else would it be if not for a platformer?
>>
>>338018438
Spelunky is a platformer with roguelike elements in the first place, and you can avoid quite easily most of the instakill traps.
>>
>>338018438
>it's barely a platformer
>the skill comes from not being hit by anything
where do you think the skill comes from in super mario bros? are you fucking thick in the head mate?
>>
>>338018572
A "slow walking simulator"
>>
>>338018359
They are not minor mistakes because you can always look what's ahead (with plenty of time too) of you before getting hit or getting yourself in a bad place. Also stop comparing different genres, you're already being retarded enough.
>>
>>338018438
>It's barely a "platformer."
>The skill comes, essentially, from not being hit by anything.
I'm getting conflicting info here
>>
>>338018683
Make the walking/running speed faster and this fag will hate the instakills even more.
>>
>>338018683
>slow walking simulator
>there's a run button
maybe you need to get good, friend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvuYkHCDf_U
>>
>Arguing with people who like shit games
every time
>>
>>338018918
>posting like someone else because you got blown the fuck out
it's time to stop posting OP
>>
>>338018438
>Have you even played spelunky? It's barely a "platformer." The skill comes, essentially, from not being hit by anything.
You can say the same shit about 90% videogames you dipshit.
>>
>>338018918
>No new IP
Sasuga samefag
>>
File: 1403475088391.gif (3 MB, 286x258) Image search: [Google]
1403475088391.gif
3 MB, 286x258
This is the most unco thread i've ever spectated.
>>
>>338019038
Wait wait let me try it.
Have you even played killing floor? It's barely a "shooter". The skill comes, essentially, from not being hit by anything.

You're right! It worked!
>>
>>338019190
Yeah it worked, you got hit = you fucked up, even if your accuracy is the best you'll have to avoid getting hit.
>>
>>338019272
Hmm... guess I better not fuck up next time then! Maybe I won't even have to shitpost on /v/ if I don't fuck up any more!
>>
>>338019351
I think the ones who didn't have to fuck something up were your parents.
>>
>>338019393
Are you complimenting me because my parents didn't fuck me up? Well thank you then.
>>
File: 1394550091193.jpg (190 KB, 1000x1471) Image search: [Google]
1394550091193.jpg
190 KB, 1000x1471
>>338019393
>>
>>338019393
Oh you.
>>
in the same post, you criticized it for being too easy and too difficult twice

i don't think you know anything about game design. spelunky is one of the best-designed platformers of its time. it has a bunch of really interesting emergent properties and strategies, and a really large possibility space. it's got a lot of depth and complexity, and is easy to play but hard to master. it's literally the opposite of a 'video game pop song'

i will agree with you that the procedural generation isn't super impressive but it was the first proper roguelike platformer so whatever
>>
>>338019662
But it's not perfect so it's shit.
>>
>>338019662
OP has been thoroughly roasted if you look through the thread.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.