[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was trying to teach my friend the basics of fighting games,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: sf2-s3[1].jpg (90 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
sf2-s3[1].jpg
90 KB, 604x453
I was trying to teach my friend the basics of fighting games, and holy shit is it hard. To try and teach a new player, there is so much fucking shit they have to know. I tried not to give him a whole gigantic information dump but it's fucking impossible, you have to talk about shit like:

>What each button does for each character and why it's important
>What super canceling/special cancelling is.
>How to play against defensive players
>Properties of grabs/command grabs
>Overheads
>cross-ups
>Why certain players play the way they do
>Execution (like doing the quarter circles)
>Combo timings/execution
>Trying to explain frame advantage and frame disadvantage without making it sound too hardcore.
>Reading/Guessing opponents

I wish I could make a flash game that could explain all the basics of fighting games and have the players learn it themselves first hand by practicing.
>>
>>337995770

99% of the time "hit every button as fast as you can" does the trick.
>>
You should just told him this:

>these are the attack buttons
>this is how you do special moves

And then stop playing like a tryhard for sometime so he can have fun and maybe, and just maybe, be interested in fighting games. That would lead him to practice and get better.

But you fucked up by trying to teach him your hxc gameways.
>>
>>337995951
Well yeah if you're playing with fucking scrubs
>>
Literally all you have to do is tell him
>Hit buttons that look like they have good range and come out fast
>Learn to fucking block
>>
>>337995770
Or you could just have your friend play a fighting game that actually has a good tutorial, like GGXrd, KI, or Skullgirls. Sure, it may not be Street Fighter, but I'm someone who learned through Skullgirls before seriously jumping into SF, and it helped me a lot. Also, I'd avoid frame advantage until way later. Just explain it as "lighter attacks beat heavier ones."
>>
>>337996248
Skull Girls is fucking ass. They took all these elements from fighting games they liked and mashed them together into a fuck fest. They even added a tag mechanic because it's "cool like Mahvel"

The game doesn't have dedicated combos for each character, you just hit a button that launches them into the air, mash buttons, then hit the button that knocks them back down. And because it has off the ground moves, knockdowns don't mean ass, so you just knock them back up into the air.

If you can't make the game have good fundamentals, just throw in super long combos that you didn't even know existed or combos that are infinite. Instead of fixing those combos, add in a system that instantly gets you out of infinite combos.
>>
The right way to teach people fighting games:

>these are your buttons, now fight me and we'll both use only buttons
>these are your special moves, now fight me with only specials and normals
>this is how you cancel, now fight me and punish all my dumb shit
>this is how you tech a throw, cross up, and bait stupid people, now fight me and try not to get rekt
And lastly
>this is how you link normals together, now come at me

Deviating from this formula will lose our great genre any potential player
>>
I wish I had a friend to help me figure this shit out years ago.
>>
>>337996556
Not OP, but I've tried that.
maybe I'm just a bad teacher
>>
>>337996565
I know this feel.
>>
>>337996565
I wish I wasn't so fucking good, so I could help my friends figure this out without discouraging them because I win.

I wish I could figure the game out with them again because that part after the initial button mashing is so fucking satisfying, no other game can beat it.
>>
>>337996507
When was the last time you played Skullgirls? Vanilla? They have an infinite-prevention system in place now. As for dedicated combos, it does have some, but sharing design-concepts with GG and Marvel, it leaves room open for people to decide how they want to play. Finally, keep in mind many beginners are figurative button mashers. You'd be surprised by how much it helps a newbie understand how buttons work when you're allowed to mash the shit out of them in GG or Skullgirls, then move onto something like SF. It explains itself.
>>
>>337996904
Pro tip: Let your friends win sometimes. I know I'll get some hate for it, but I was on the verge of giving up fighting games as a newbie when my friend just absolutely kept wrecking me. He noticed I was getting upset, let me win some, but after that day, I made it a point to study and become better than him. That said, if he hadn't loosened up on me, I might not be playing fighting games right now.
>>
>>337995770
>I wish I could make a flash game that could explain all the basics of fighting games and have the players learn it themselves first hand by practicing.

OH BOY OP, HAVE I GOT THE GAME FOR YOU.
http://www.nick.com/games/super-brawl-3.html
>>
>>337996915
>They have an infinite-prevention system in place now.

It's a bandaid to the problem. The developers should have had some kind of dedicated combos. Even Guilty Gear has people who know what the fuck they're doing make it, so they have dedicated combos instead of "super long epic 40 hit combos" or infinites.

I don't think it helps a person learn any sort of fundamentals if each of the buttons doesn't have a specific purpose, like a poke, anti-air and so on.
>>
Skullgirls tutorial
All you have to explain is the difference between how combos work in Skullgirls vs Street fighter and other game specific mechanics
>>
>>337995770
Half of that shit ain't basic bro.
>>
>>337996507
>They even added a tag mechanic because it's "cool like Mahvel"
Pretty sure, they didn't just "add in a tag mechanic".
Mike Z loves (loved) Marvel, and I'm sure that the first page of the design document for Skullgirls was "Let's make Marvel 2 with upskirts" and then they started to figure out what to change from there.
>>
>>337995770
all you need at the beginning is fireball and shouryu. and how to guard.

why you gotta act hard like that. tryhard retards like you have always kept beginners from playing fighting games and ruined fgc since sf2
>>
>>337997332
But the game doesn't lend itself to dedicated combos, especially with its base being Marvel. Outside of that, buttons do matter in SG. Just because you can mash them doesn't make them any less important.
>>
>can't even finish the Skullgirls tutorial because of the lengthier combos in the later chapters
How do I git gud?
>>
>>337998025
I am not being a "Tryhard" or trying to act like one, I am just trying to help my friend be on the same competitive level as me quickly, which is hard to do.
>>
>>337996201
This is a thread about playing fighting games with scrubs. Thanks for stating the obvious.
>>
>>337996248
tutorial in Skullgirls actually convinced me not to play it
>>
Heres how you do it op. Very few people like fighting games, it's just how it is.
Play him hard, beat him almost every time, but not by much. Show him what its really like, and it's up to him to ask you to learn.
>>
every metagame can be understood as:

>When A, Do B

you can play through the game a billion times to learn the statistically best move for every action, or just watch someone else who's played longer and copy.
>>
File: 1452777651801.jpg (102 KB, 576x1024) Image search: [Google]
1452777651801.jpg
102 KB, 576x1024
Sounds like you should just teach him the rock paper scissors basics first. Tell him to stick to knowing normal moves and the reach/speed of them, get good at spacing and the mental game of simply outsmarting your opponent with grabs/blocking/attacks.

The combos/execution/framedata just come later as most of that stuff is usually make the most out of your damage and doing better close calls. Then move to stuff like what to do on wakeup or what you should do if your opponent is knocked out etc.
>>
>>337996248
>ki

I second this. Its tutorial showed me how to play. Goes from the basic shit to high level shit
>>
>>337996132
>tryhard
hello bronze
>>
>>337998254
>What super canceling/special cancelling is.
>Properties of grabs/command grabs
>Overheads
>cross-ups
>Why certain players play the way they do
>Combo timings/execution
>Trying to explain frame advantage and frame disadvantage without making it sound too hardcore.
>Reading/Guessing opponents

Don't teach beginer this part right away, hell pulling a Dp is really hard for them

> I am just trying to help my friend be on the same competitive level as me quickly
that's not how it works
>>
>>337997332
>waaaah i can't keep pubstomping with my memorized 50% combo
play a real fighting game
>>
File: 7c270fd4c6a06dd2f82a287a1fc8323a.jpg (525 KB, 2856x3800) Image search: [Google]
7c270fd4c6a06dd2f82a287a1fc8323a.jpg
525 KB, 2856x3800
It honestly depends on the person. Some people do better feeling everything out in training mode/tutorial or scaling up vs the CPU before fighting other people, and others will lose interest if they dont start pressing buttons against their friends right away. You gotta be able to break down the basics in the easiest way possible, explaining what each button is good for as they press it is something I think works. Not a lot of detail though, just like "use that to beat air attacks" "press that when youre kinda far" and explain further if they ask. With people who just wanna play, moderate your power level and let games feel close. Gradually show them little things and see if they pick up on it or ask about it. They need to be interested too for anything to stick.

You're shit outta luck if they like the worst/least noobie friendly character in the cast though. I was talking up how Xrd was actually easy to pick up and you just magic series for combos like marvel and lo and behold my friend picks slayer.
>>
>>337997984
The thing is, SG doesn't even succeed at being a "MvC2 with upskirts". It feels like a bastard, not-quite-right skewed version of MvC2 with just MSP mirrors with all the resetfest.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.