[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What settings are underused in videogames? Alt-history is one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: by_theengineer_2560.jpg (3 MB, 2560x1280) Image search: [Google]
by_theengineer_2560.jpg
3 MB, 2560x1280
What settings are underused in videogames? Alt-history is one of my favorites but it's not that prominently featured.
>>
>>337928396
Current time fanatsy.
Why does it always have to be medival, steampunk or cyberpunk?
>>
>>337928396
>Not prominently featured
Nigga what is Fallout, Cold War continued until we nuked the planet to death.
>>
>>337929101
>Current time fanatsy.
It's called urban fantasy.
>>
>>337929362
what if it doesnt take place in a city?
>>
>>337929468
>modern day
>not in a city
Never gonna happen because there is nothing of interest outside of cities.
>>
Egyptian or Greek mythology
>>
>>337929839
wouldnt tomb raider, indiana jones, and uncharted be modern day fantasy? they have modern day stuff but go to ancient ruins with some fantasy stuff

i could see rural fantasy working as a "im alone in a cornfield and theres a fantasy monster" simulator
>>
>>337930367
I can't think of a single game set in Egypt.
>>
>>337928396
Any war this isn't WW2 or a modern day shit desert war
>>
>>337929101
FF15 has High Modern Fantasy?
I like the idea of magic and monsters that has survived through time to the point of modern day.
>>
>Alt-history is one of my favorites but it's not that prominently featured.

But Lord of the Rings is alt-history.

And almost all fantasy rips off Lord of the Rings.
>>
>>337928396
Present day.

Nothing compares.
>>
>>337931398
aom
serious sam
games with generic desert level with pyramids in the background
>>
WWII games that are alternate history, like Turning Point Fall of Liberty but not total shit and forgetful like that game was.
>>
>>337933886
>But Lord of the Rings is alt-history
Bullshit.
>>
>>337935056
tolkien himself said they are
>>
>>337935056
Tolkien literally refers to Hobbits as being hard to find "these days" and often refers to things as if they are in our distant past.

LOTR is all about how the old world is dying. It doesn't matter if Sauron is defeated. Elves are leaving middle earth and the age of men is coming.

It's alt-history, deal with it.
>>
>>337935473
>>337935885
>it's alt history because i say it is
Isn't everything alt history then, as long as the author says it is?
>>
>>337938081
It's all fiction so pretty much yeah.

LOTR is clearly written as an fantastic take on history though. Middle Earth is the place that would later become Europe.
>>
>>337939197
So elves go to America and become Indians?
>>
I like eastern fantasy, with kung fu, magic, demons, ghosts, and stuff like that. I'm sad there doesn't appear to be very many games that play it straight.
>>
>>337928396
Wolfenstein The New Order had a bretty good alt-history
>>
>>337931398
probably why next ass creed will be in egypt.

we never really had a decent game sandbox in rome,
>>
>>337939363
No they went to Easter island and ate themselves.
>>
>>337939363
is fiction isn't it, but the lotr fantasy world goes further back in time from the hobbit book, he made books before.
TES lore is quite a parody of lotr fiction
>>
>>337939846
Ryse wasn't a sandbox, but then again Rome isn't that fitting for a sandbox IMO
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.