[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Hey /v/, about 3 years ago I got a computer for Christmas which is starting to get old. I need a new one. I can buy one or build one with a $1500 budget. You guys tell me what to do
>>
not ur personal army XD
>>
>>337910469
>You guys tell me what to do
No. Do your own research.
Building a PC is as easy as building a Lego castle.
The only remotely hard part is being sure you don't buy the overpriced blocks which only offer a marginally better performance, if even that.
>>
File: Build.jpg (152 KB, 1155x810) Image search: [Google]
Build.jpg
152 KB, 1155x810
Here is a good build for your budget.
>>
Buy two motherboards, these days the extra processing power is necessary
>>
File: bitch hold on.jpg (59 KB, 540x820) Image search: [Google]
bitch hold on.jpg
59 KB, 540x820
>>337910815
>>
>>337910469
Just upgrade it instead of getting a completely new one you moron.
>>
>>337910680
Or putting on thermal paste, or installing water cooling, or even putting the CPU in the damn socket.

Yeah it's relatively easy compared to bomb defusal, but some people need to know how to do that shit without fucking it up.
>>
File: Relevant.jpg (977 KB, 3408x2214) Image search: [Google]
Relevant.jpg
977 KB, 3408x2214
>>337910971
>>
>>337910971
There literally hundreds of guides on Youtube detailing every step in meticulous detail.
Every functional human should be able to follow those.
>>
>>337911093
>Tabasco sauce not shown
pretty trash pic tbqh. that was the best part
>>
>>337911093
Fucking up putting on thermal paste doesn't make you THAT fucking retarded!
>>
File: 691_970i5 (newegg bundle).png (38 KB, 455x424) Image search: [Google]
691_970i5 (newegg bundle).png
38 KB, 455x424
>>
>>337911741
This is a good build. Why not wait one more week though for the 1080 or the 1070.
>>
that budget gets you a GTX1080 and an i7 6700k. Build
>>
>>337910971

>using water cooling
This isn't 2004.
>>
>>337910815
>3.5gb meme card
>Good
>>
>>337911462
not until you fuck it up so bad, you destroy your motherboard. fag
>>
Got a cheap ibuypower pre-built a couple years ago, had a code for a good discount, and I had been without a PC for almost a year (was out of work for almost 2 years, HDD died, so I'd been using a 7 year old laptop, got a new job and saved up for 6 months to get a new desktop). Biggest thing I looked for was a large case with plenty of room and space for fans, knowing I'd upgrade eventually. It is just about time for it.

So, couple easy questions, i5 or i7? Who is better in graphics cards now? I have an nvidia in this computer, and in my previous one. I used to prefer radeon cards, but I had 3 of the same model card burn out in the span of 2 years, so I switched brands.
>>
1) Wait until Pascal is out
2) Lazy build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mZPBgs
3) Add GTX1080
4) Add Windows licence (and potentially optical drive) from your old rig

If you've got a fine case in the old one, or enough HDD room, you can drop the price further.
>>
>>337915891
>So, couple easy questions, i5 or i7?
What's your budget?
If you want to keep the price reasonable: i5
If you want to blow $1500+ - i7

>Who is better in graphics cards now?
Right now, nvidia.
AMD has something cooking, but we don't know enough yet.
>>
File: Current Specs to Upgrade.png (36 KB, 661x473) Image search: [Google]
Current Specs to Upgrade.png
36 KB, 661x473
>>337916207
>>337916081

Probably be better if I gave an example of what I am already working with.
>>
>>337916441
If you plan to stick with your monitor for the foreseeable time, you can also take the GTX1070 once it's out. Major savings.

This sadly doesn't tell me your case, existing cpu cooler, or PSU. But you can definitly keep the optical drive, and at that budget, just get the new PSU.

You should also be able to now install win10 via upgrade, and get your key this way. Do that just to get the legit win10 key, the free upgrade ends soon.
>>
>>337916804

Been on the fence about win10. GF upgraded from 8, and has noticed an appreciable general slow down in everything from the computer booting up to web browsing, and even just loading programs.
>>
>>337917351
Getting the 10 key won't stop you from installing 7 again. It's more a case of future proofing.
>>
>>337917389

Ah, gotcha. Trying to figure out my case, best guess is that it's an ATX mid tower, specific model seems to be discontinued. Trying to find something similar for an example without taking everything apart.
>>
>>337917801
What it precisely is doesn't matter, what matters is that it has nice amounts of room, place for cable management, and some case fans.

If you think it's trash, get a new one, there's plenty of room in your budget.
>>
>>337918120

Gotcha. The case should be ok, and worst case, as you said, I can always get a new one. Main reason I went with this case was the fan space, with one main intake in the front (120mm) and 2 exhaust fans (120mm), one in the back where the CPU is and one out the top where the graphics card sits.
>>
>>337918417
Alright then.
Keeping the case, optical drive, monitor, and windows licence, you're probably looking at a final price point of ~$1200 for a very good rig.

Take the time to do some extra research on the invidiual parts (particulary, as I said, your cpu cooler - you can easily get 4.5GHz out of that cpu with a decent cooler), and wait until pascal is out.
>>
>>337918738

Super groovy, thank you kindly for your time. I've been so out of keeping up with new tech that it was a bear to find a point to dive back in.
>>
File: dsafdafewahgbvw.png (61 KB, 488x208) Image search: [Google]
dsafdafewahgbvw.png
61 KB, 488x208
>>337918821
No prob. As a starting point for future research, there's also logical increments, which may have some oddities, but isn't too terrible.
>>
>>337910469
3yo? Just upgrade your video card, cpu speeds have not improved since sandy bridge.
>>
>>337919097
There's a noticeable difference in speed between skylake and sandy bridge, like it or not.

There's also especially a huge difference in power draw on similar speeds.

We've also moved on to DDR4 RAM, and his build didn't have an SSD.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.