[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do I love this game? The actual gameplay is clunky shit,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: community_image_1388248309.jpg (370 KB, 605x702) Image search: [Google]
community_image_1388248309.jpg
370 KB, 605x702
Why do I love this game? The actual gameplay is clunky shit, but the characters, music, plot, and atmosphere more than make up for it, even though it's basically Japanese Twin Peaks. I can't recommend it to people because of how bad the actual game is, but I enjoy how bad it is at the same time.
>>
someone post t he youtube link.

you know the one
>>
I seem to remember some part where you have to follow some other car without getting too close. But for some reason, the car was traveling at like 1/2 a mile per hour. So it took forever to finish.
>>
>>337853850
>character actually grows facial hair
>you can use turn signals AND windshield wipers manually
>character actually sleeps under a blanket
>suits have to be changed every once in a while (two days, I think) and cleaned
>>
>>337854318
Well everything is slow because Francis refuses to do above like... 65
>>
>>337854318
That mission was effectively the sole reason I never finished the game.

I would spend ages following this car, and then when we got out and went round the house the game would crash.

Got it recently on PC, with the fix, gonna finish it someday.
>>
I never finished it, don't know if I ever will. It's buggy as hell and the gameplay and controls are total shit. The story is kind of interesting, but some of the voice acting is bad, which makes it hard to sit through the cutscenes.
>>
>>337853850
It was more than the sum of it's parts.
I usually can't handle alot of OTT writing in japanese games, but the absurdity of the world and characters made it all really funny, and it was easier to suspend your disbelief
>>
File: 2013-11-06_00006.jpg (259 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2013-11-06_00006.jpg
259 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>337854558

>character actually sleeps under a blanket

Don't forget fully functional mirrors.

These are actually kind of a big deal if you know what a pain they are to develop. It speaks volumes to how passionately they focused on the daily life aspects of the game (whereas all of the combat was shoehorned into what was meant to be more of an open world adventure/exploration game).
>>
>>337854558
>>337855623
Meanwhile, GTA V has
>no hair growth or fat/muscle customization
>characters changing clothes by themselves, but only to shitty non-custom outfits
>no windshield wipers or even rain hitting the windshield
>characters sleeping, fully clothed and with shoes on, on top of their beds
>>
>>337855623
Enemies in the game are actually creepy but infinite ammo weapons and almost infinite healing items shows how little they cared about combat, the thing was probably made because the publisher wanted it.
>>
i love this game but the ports are so fucking dogshit terrible i can't recommend it to anybody
>>
>>337853850
I find that after playing tons of different games I've started caring less about quality and more about novelty.
>>
When you think about it, figuring out how to circumvent the bugs in the PC version was a minigame all on its own!

I remember before the fan patches were fully complete, having to learn how to save/load on a black screen, learning that to avoid crashing after leaving a vehicle, I had to restart my PC before playing the game, and more.
>>
It's fun because you can see that they really tried to make the game great. It felt like they had a million different ideas and just kept implementing them no matter how shitty they did it. DP is really endearing in that way.
>>
>>337856503
>PC
Get fucked, homo. Director's Cut on PS3 all the way
>>
>>337856937
also very bad. 360 or nothing.
>>
>>337854773
You can unlock faster cars, but usually by the time you do the game is over
>>
>>337854318
This was a nightmare on the PC version because the game crashes approximately every 3 minutes.
>>
>>337857264
How so?
>>
File: fk-in-the-coffee.png (304 KB, 640x359) Image search: [Google]
fk-in-the-coffee.png
304 KB, 640x359
>>337857790
Never had that problem, but it wasn't a great port to begin with, couldn't even change resolution or windowed mode without a fix. Played Director's Cut on PS3 and honestly is the way I'd recommend it.

Also if you've never played don't trust the coffee
>>
>>337853850
>it's basically Japanese Twin Peaks
that
>>
Will TBFP ever return to their glory days?
>>
>>337857790
After installing DPfix (Made by the same guy who did DSfix, Jesus bless him) I had almost no crashes the entire game, wich I completed in ~40 hours.
>>
When a game accomplishes its core concept, I usually have a pretty generous opinion of it. Deadly premonition had a lot of really rough gameplay elements but it pulled off the creepy/goofy twin peaks vibe perfectly and told an entertaining mystery.
>>
>>337856304
>rain doesn't show up on windshields in GTA V
Holy shit, this ruins my immersion even worse than only being able to see the left side of the car in first person.
>>
It's the greatest worst game ever.

I hated it until the end and then loved it.
>>
>>337858132
Maybe if they can get off the new release train and actually do a full LP of something a little more off the beaten path again. I think they're caught too deep in the cycle of needing to do current releases to maintain viewer count at this point to break out of it, though.

It's a shame, because they're how I finally experienced DP. For the longest time I just thought it was generic grimdark horror garbage because all I ever saw was the cover, but after hearing that particular LP recommended up and down I finally gave it a shot and loved every minute of it. It finally convinced me to watch Twin Peaks, too.
>>
>>337855623
Mirror's are easy as shit to implement, they just don't work with modern engine with texture streaming and all that shit because you need to consider the relection on top of everything to make sure the stuff visible in the mirror has textures
>>
Started playing the other day. I can't stand driving, the sound of the motor just grinds my gear. Other world sections are really annoying too. But i like York. And i really liked D4, so i guess I'll still give it a shot.

Don't bother, i already know about Gabe Newell and all the other shit.
>>
Easily the GOAT 2BF lets play. The driving segments were the perfect chance for them to tell cool stories and talk about dumb shit, the gameplay did get a bit too slow at times but it was simple enough to follow, and the Quint side story...holy shit everything was so good.

They need to go back to more obscure stuff, I can't even bother with Dark Souls III lets play because I lost my fucking mind watching Woolie play Bloodborne. Sorry Woolz, but it's true.
>>
>>337861145
>They need to go back to more obscure stuff
Fucking this, their best LPs were not the flavor of the month video game (Until Dawn notwithstanding ) but obscure shit years old.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.