[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /maxcaulfield/ here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 12
File: 1462563511208.jpg (1 MB, 1280x1878) Image search: [Google]
1462563511208.jpg
1 MB, 1280x1878
Who /maxcaulfield/ here?
>>
File: kate.jpg (40 KB, 425x516) Image search: [Google]
kate.jpg
40 KB, 425x516
Who /katemarsh/ here?
>>
>>337837027
I can't be, because I didn't save her.
>>
File: 1446924454661.jpg (40 KB, 500x409) Image search: [Google]
1446924454661.jpg
40 KB, 500x409
>>337837075
Kate forgives and forget
>>
File: 1459283566117.png (150 KB, 400x450) Image search: [Google]
1459283566117.png
150 KB, 400x450
>tfw you will never play this game for the first time again
>>
ep5 really soured the rest of the game desu

then i played ep1 on acid and i hate it now
>>
>>337837410
Yeah, you'll never get to experience that feeling at the end of episode 2 where you think it might turn out to be a really good game. At least playing it on release you had 8 weeks before it started to all go downhill.
>>
>>337837075
>he didn't immediately restart
What's wrong with you letting the best girl die
>>
>>337837713
It had its ups and downs, but in the end I still tohught it was a really good game. No other media has ever emotionally affected me as much as this game.
>>
It's interesting how this is one of the few games that actually get discussed with minimum shitposting on /v/, even when OP starts with a shitpost like here.
>>
>>337837872
But all but one of your choices did not matter, in a game where it was just making a bunch of choices. That ending ruined anything the game had going for it
>>
>your choices matter
>(not really)
>>
File: 1459096823474.png (397 KB, 722x680) Image search: [Google]
1459096823474.png
397 KB, 722x680
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzeOsIyjs4Q

Why is max so fierce?
>>
>>337838204
A lot of the choices mattered, and had consequences, they just didn't affect the endings. And I'm perfectly fine with that.
>>
File: Stupid Gun.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Stupid Gun.webm
2 MB, 640x360
retarded sjw game for the retarded sjw tumblr crowd.
>>
>>337838532

> And I'm perfectly fine with that.

Kek, of course you are. The game could literally force you to eat shit and you'd probably be okay with it.
>>
>>337838591
t. numale
>>
>>337838591
>Max calls her out over her bullshit
Remind me why this is SJW again?
>>
>>337838721

>"stupid gun"

Max calls the gun out, an inanimate fucking object
>>
>>337838532
>but didn't affect the ending
I.e. didn't really have consequences. It's so stupid, but I somewhat blame myself for not seeing it coming when the game wanted me to feel bad for that blue haired bitch. Such wasted potential.
>>
They must have no drop of self awareness to name her Caufield
>>
>>337838864
>Max : "I thought you believed in gun control"
>Chloe : "stupid ironic statement'

She cursed the gun out of desperation. Chloe who would actually make a good SJW shouldn't have her hands on the gun at all.
>>
File: seriosulybro.jpg (13 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
seriosulybro.jpg
13 KB, 512x384
>>337839069

I took one look at it and immediately and loudly signed in disgust

they could at least TRY to be more subtle
>>
>>337838591
>there are people who literally destroyed a town to save this moron's life
>when she gets herself killed five times over in the game already

She'll be dead within the month. It will all have been for nothing.
>>
>>337839309

I feel like there really should have been a way to save both.
>>
>>337838895
Why do choices have to affect the endings to be deemed true consequences for you, like the endings are somehow all that matters with a game? I do agree that they could have tied your choices into the endings better, but a statement like, "since choices didn't affect the endings they had no consequences" is fucking retarded.
>>
File: 1459804160838.jpg (148 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1459804160838.jpg
148 KB, 1920x1080
Daily reminder that everything that happens past chloe getting shot is in max's head, trying to deal with her best friend dying after she waited years to contact her, even after she got back to arcadia bay. The "nightmare" at the end is her subconsciousness trying to get her to back to reality. Sacrificing chloe is accepting her death and moving on, and sacrificing arcadia bay is letting the tornado (her grief) wipe her out and going insane. All the people in the cafe in her dream represents the people that will "die" for her if she goes insane, and the edgy "cereal" max she is talking to is the part of max's mind that wants to accept reality and snap out of it, while chloe represents the opposite part.

Going from max the socially awkward to being max the awesome superhero saving the day and befriending everyone with her time powers reflects her delusion that she can make everything perfect and reverse chloes death. Those being mad about the endings and that the choices you made didn't have an effect on it is missing the entire message the game is trying to convey. Being left empty at the end is your way to feel max's pain and hopefully also accept chloe's death in the same painful way she did.
>>
>>337839430
>I didn't pay any attention while playing.
Thanks, senpai, you're the reason almost every movie has to end with a happy end.
>>
>>337839976

because forced tragedy is so much better? I understood the game just fine. This is gonna surprise you but it was stupid. Extremely stupid and just because there's some downer ending doesn't change the fact that the whole either or aspect was retarded in a cosmic sense and the writers had no real understanding about time travel or the butterfly effect beyond the most base level.
>>
File: 1400711157001.png (228 KB, 327x321) Image search: [Google]
1400711157001.png
228 KB, 327x321
Anyone else felt really strange after episode 3? I wasn't sad, I was just super-anxious about basically undoing everything I did in 3 those episodes and that being gone. The feeling started as soon as the photo began to twitch at the bed, I fucking knew everything was going to shit. It felt like a real nightmare and I just wanted someone to WAKE ME UP WAKE ME UP INSIDE
>>
>>337837831
>Being a filthy cheater.
>>
>>337840214
All of us were. I tried as hard as I could to let David not die so I didn't get it as bad.
>>
>>337840169
Have you considered the fact that the game was never about time travel?
>>
>>337840317
to let David die*
>>
>>337840169
>verbosely proving that he didn't get the game

Nah, you're right, senpai, the focus was on time travel and the butterfly effect. Those weren't just vehicles to tell a story about friendship, losing touch, diverging lives and the futility to try and recreate a past blissful moment. You're right, of course, it's the intricate details of time travel that need to be in the foreground...
>>
File: 1461848652789.jpg (32 KB, 633x738) Image search: [Google]
1461848652789.jpg
32 KB, 633x738
>>337835881
when I jack off and climax. I say "WOWSER". or I say "Wowsers" or "WOWSER BOWSER WOWSER BOWSER!".
>>
>>337839437
Pretend you have the choice to get fucked by your dad. You decide to face the possible consequences and let him do it. But, instead of actually facing the consequences, the universe comes in and rewrites what happened so that you didn't get fucked by your dad, regardless of what you chose. Did your choice really have any consequences? Now, instead of just your dad, add your uncles and neighbors and boss and wife's boyfriend, but still keep that same ending where none of your choices for any of those encounters actually occur in the end, and instead the universe decides what happened, and you get the choice between driving a blue or red car to work. That's what Life Is Strange is. When the game ends up removing any choices you made except for last choice with two options, both options being the same no matter what choices you made before, did any of the choices except the last one even matter? Is it really a consequence when no matter what choices you made, the same thing happens? No
>>
>>337841335
In your analogy, the unverse rewrites what happened immediately after, which isn't true in the game. The choices did have consequences for max, in every episode up until the fifth. Max still remembers those consequences, and feel responsible because those alternate universes still exist.
>>
>>337842430
No where in the game does it point to alternate universes existing in parallel or Max feeling guilty for them. Furthermore, in my example I never specified when the universe rewrites itself; it doesn't matter. Consequences are the effects of a choice, but if there is no choice there cannot be consequences for that choice. If any series of choices lead to the same event, what is the point? There is no "I wonder what would have happened if I did X instead of Y" because X and Y lead to A. You can't honestly believe that is good for a game where the only thing the player does is make choices.
>>
Is this the most overrated game of 2015?
>>
>>337844114
>No where in the game does it point to alternate universes existing in parallel or Max feeling guilty for them
It actually did. In ep 4 when max goes back to the warren picture and talks to chloe, she says something like "I'm afraid I'm fucking up all these alternate realities, then goes on to explain what happened with william.

>If any series of choices lead to the same event, what is the point? There is no "I wonder what would have happened if I did X instead of Y" because X and Y lead to A.

But you absolutely can, they just don't tie into the end of the game. Again you take this line of reasoning where the ending of the game is somehow the only thing that matters. It's like saying that because you know that you will 1 day die, nothing you do matters because there are no real consequences, because there is only 1 ending, and that's you dying.
>>
>>337838591
she deserves to be judo slapped on the ground for breaking the laser rule that fucking hard jesus christ
>>
So was Warren really a creepy stalker?
>>
>>337845128
But my life has more consequences than those that just affect me. The game is like one of those "choose your own adventure" books but every path leads to the same exact ending, the same exact everything. It isn't like if you let Kate die she stays dead in an ending, no she comes back to life (I actually don't remember whether the ending forces her alive or dead but either way). You have no real choices in that game. How can you find that enjoyable for a game?
>>
>>337844375
>Is this the most overrated game of 2015?

when did Undertale come out?
>>
>>337841254
You sound like a fun lay.
>>
>9gag the videogame.
>>
File: vic.jpg (40 KB, 500x647) Image search: [Google]
vic.jpg
40 KB, 500x647
>>337835881
Every single thread
>maxfags
>katefags
>chloefags
Get some taste you plebs
>>
>>337845775
The kate that died in the universe you left behind is still dead, so that's a consequence, you're just not there to see it.

>You have no real choices in that game. How can you find that enjoyable for a game?
Because I don't let 1 negative aspect of a game ruin my enjoyment of the positive aspects, as long as they outnumber the negative.

If you interpret the story in a more symbolic way, I think everything makes a lot more sense. Your choices not mattering symbolizes max internally dealing with her friend dying, initially refusing to accept reality and changing things in an attempt to make everything perfect and ideal, but at the end maturing and learning to accept loss and moving on.
>>
File: 1459043342815.jpg (239 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1459043342815.jpg
239 KB, 1920x1080
>>337846906
>Get some taste you plebs

I'll get right on that.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.