[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Update fucking when?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 28
File: header[2].jpg (36 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header[2].jpg
36 KB, 460x215
Update fucking when?
>>
>>337828129
When I get laid
>>
Do they still wipe after each update
>>
The current ETA is somehwere enar the end of this month or the beggining of next month. They said they're just polishing up shit now.

Next update is going to be fucking huge. Worlds will all have different biomes and be bigger, monsters will be different, there's fucking wands now and tons of cool weapons and shit.

The game is finally starting to look like al the shit we were promised, too fucking bad it's like three years too late.
>>
>>337828129
Even if they made an update that was 3 times bigger than Terraria's major ones, Starbound wouldn't be worth anyone's time. This game is just a fucking waste of a decent idea.
>>
Nobody cares, shills.
This update is doing barely anything to the actual gameplay, it's mostly just a bunch of awful story shit that ~literally~ nobody gives a fuck about.

They should have spent their time doing what I suggested ages ago. Putting actual emphasis on biomes/sub biomes by having specific enemies spawn in each biome with bosses/minibosses that can be spawned in each of those biomes.

For example, the slime biome having a slime boss and slime related enemies. Simple. Then give us reasons to want to visit the slime biome.
Same for the flesh biome, add some enemies that fit that theme as well as a boss.
It really is that simple, everything is set up for it but there's fuck all reason to go there.
>>
>>337828536
thank god, that's few years faster than the dev works at least.
>>
File: starbound.jpg (163 KB, 1200x684) Image search: [Google]
starbound.jpg
163 KB, 1200x684
It's supposed to be the 1.0 update, right?

About damn time
>>
>>337829407
Most correct post. Cheers anon.
>>
>>337829407
I think they're actually doing that this coming update.

I remember hearing something about biome-specific enemies.
>>
>>337829407
There is a huge biome change in the next update

> No more a single mega biome in each planet. Instead, each planet can have a variety of mega biomes

> Each planet will have a dungeon, it can be for one of the races. Bosses at the end, with rewards

>>337828129
1, 2 months, anon.
>>
The last time I played I kept getting annoyed that there was no way to store money

And then I died, losing a great deal of it (again) and spawned in space, above a planet but unable to move and nothing on screen but my character and the background showing a planet. The only thing I could do was quit the game.
>>
Same time 1.3.1 releases.
>>
Doesn't matter. It's not only too late, the update is still gonna be shit.

I've kept up with the dev blog, and besides some very welcome changes to the combat, it's all cosmetic crap.
Races are still entirely cosmetic.
That pet slot in your inventory is never gonna get used.
The grappling hook is still using the test/debug sprites.
Spawning colonists just makes shops selling shit you don't need.
The story is retarded. And I don't mean the writing, because I never expected anything deeper. I mean it's presentation.
On one hand you have several suposed "serious" conflicts like the Avian faith crisis, the Big Ape 1984 thing, desctruction of Earth and Hylotl civilization falling apart.
But every step along the way, NPC's seem to be having a cheer good time and no one cares about the galaxy being fucked up side down.

Progression is still gonna be tier-grinding shit.
You simply have more shit to grind.
Took them 2 years to emulate what Terraria did with late game armor, and they fucked it up since none of the 3 paths is all that diferent (and the staffs/mage weapons feature a bunch of bugs).
Look at your backslot. The only thing that was actually usefull there was a torch on a stick. That's it. 923484729384 cosmetics for it, but only one usefull thing.

I've kept up with the devblog because I hoped they'd eventually drop this habit, but they didn't.
Does the new content have new GAMEPLAY?
Yes. But like all the other additions throught the last 3 years: for every new neat thing, you get a bajjilion inconsequential cosmetic additions.

At this point, the game is starting to look more like those "drag-n-dress princess simulator" made in flash than a Terraria clone.
>>
>Things that will be NEVEREVER in Starbound
>>
>>337828129

THICC AND FAST
>>
>>337832860
Save corrupted. Happened to me too.
All these 3 years there have been stupid crashes and save game bugs like that. People didn't notive much of it in the first few months because of the constant wipes.
And no, they never fixed those. I didn't see them mentioned either on the dev blog, so expect them to stay.

Funniest one I got was the 0 health crash bug.
Sometimes when you die, the game will crash.
I'm guessing here, but I think the game is trying to play a file it can't, or use an image it shouldn't, wathever.
The point is that your game gets "saved" like that. With 0/0 health.
Now everytime you load it, the game doesn't quite understand if you're dead or alive. So you'll see the planet surface, or your ship, but you won't spawn.
Only way to fix it is with a Save editor.
And thankgod I found one. I wanted to try the other races to see if they had anything diferent without going throught the grind again.
Nope. Cosmetic changes. That's all.

Even the speshul snowflaky Novakids. All the races are just re-textures.
>>
>>337833339
>Races are still entirely cosmetic.
Fuck off, WoWfag. Races with percs is fucking old.

Selecting your race is about making yourself comfortable with the appearance of your character. having different traits only forces players to chose a race they don't want for a talent they want.

>That pet slot in your inventory is never gonna get used.
>The grappling hook is still using the test/debug sprites.
WIP

>Spawning colonists just makes shops selling shit you don't need.
They also give you quest now, you can hire them, and the rewards are based on the type of planet

>The story is retarded. And I don't mean the writing, because I never expected anything deeper. I mean it's presentation.
What do you want? An animu cutscene?
>>
>>337834157
>Selecting your race is about making yourself comfortable with the appearance of your character. having different traits only forces players to chose a race they don't want for a talent they want.

Spoken like a true autist.
>Waaah I can't pick my favorite race because the other one gets +1 to guns!
You're fucking pathetic, and your autism is no excuse for having races be pointless.

Oh and just for the record, I'm not that guy you're replying to, I just found your entire post to be cringe worthy as fuck.

Now fuck off chucklefish, you failed at what should have been a piss easy task, to create a Terraria in space.
>>
>>337834686
that's one of the reasons why Final Fantasy XIV is popular. There is no classes locked by races or genders. You can be a loli tank or a bara healer.

Something so simple like that attracted lots of WoW and Wildstar users who got frustrated by having such limitations.
>>
>>337834157
>races with percs are a bad thing
Then take an Hylotl and dive into the ocean.
Oh shit, you drowned. How come?

You're thinking of the old "+x% to attack" schitck for races.
I wanted Florans to regen energy during daylight, or Glitch to be able to eat metals.
Fun quirky shit like that, nothing gamebreaking.
Plus: race diferences are a great reason to party with other people. Having race perks synergize with one another means you can get a couple of friends to play, and everyone has something to contribute to the party.

>WIP
I've heard that one before they added pets.
Then they added pets and I still heard it.
This update will come out, people will bitch about the pet slot still being there and unusable and all the answer they'll get is "WIP".

>They give you quests.
Oh great. That's amazing. Are they one the same quality level as the "quests" they give on the outpost now?
>Fetch me X
>Fetch me item Y
>Bring me X of Z
Fucking amazing.
I especially loved the "find this Glitch Book" quest. Know why? Because it depends on the RNG spawning a Glitch castle for you. There's 7 diferent Glitch ruins and only two have the fucking book.
So get ready kids, you're gonna land on at least 20 planets, walk around for 30 minutes in each before realizing it's not there and go out again.
In one word: epic.

>What do you want? An animu cutscene?
Should have read the rest of my post.
They HAVE an interesting story behind the game. And many plotlines they can do with it.
But they're ignoring all of it, and focusing on an entirely new generic "Space Evil" plotline.
Where's the mission to infiltrate Apex cities?
Where's the mission to save sacrificial victims of Kluex?
Where's the (several) missions to help Earthlings re-settle somewhere?
Where's the confrontation between Glitch and their former masters/ideology?

All of these things were treated not as plotlines, but the same way as everything else: cosmetic.
That's all this game is right now. 90% cosmetic.
>>
>>337834971
No, FFXIV is popular because it's genuinely a good MMO in a market saturated with pure shit ones.
The races in XIV also still have different starting stats, as minor as they are. Even that is better than having carbon copies of each race.

Starbound could have gave each race small unique buffs. I'm not gonna think up one for every race, but shit like Hylotl being able to stay underwater for longer would have been a welcome change.
>>
>>337834971
>attracted lots of WoW and Wildstar users
I'm starting to suspect you're from Chucklefuck yourself, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

WoW having locked classes depending on races is a Lore thing. I don't agree with it myself (from a gameplay perspective) but they wanted to mantain a sense of identity for each race.
They ended up fucking it up (Tauren Paladins, WTF) but there you go.
Wildstar was shit through and through. You don't even need to do anything to attract users from there. You just need servers that stay up longer than 30 minutes.

>You can be a loli tank or a bara healer.
Yes, but on those games, each "race" has enough identity and personality to make you actually pick one or the other.
Starbound has... the way they speak. And the backstory.
Asides from that, you can make the same weapons (they simply have a diferent visual) and you go to the same places, doing the same things.
Like I said in >>337835461 it's all cosmetic crap.
>>
>>337835635
>shit like Hylotl being able to stay underwater
They should have been able to stay there for as long as they wanted.

The reason they don't ties in with the "progression" they made with whole "unlock this outfit to progress" schitck.
At one point, you unlock "doesn't need O2 to breath".
This was mainly to let you go on Moons, but it's also the same effect used on water.
So if you gave that to hylotls you'd have two problems:
One, Hylotls would be able to skip one step of the progression that other races couldn't (or be forced to do a useless step anyway because hey, this is Starbound, you're here to grind afterall) and second: Hylotl could natively go to moons and get the fuel for the ship.
Useless, I know since you have to repair it first anyway, and it wouldn't even make sense, but that's chucklefish: make something "cool" today that will shoot us in the foot 2 months from now.

The whole game suffers from the same problem minecraft did: no design document, no direction of development. They just tacked shit on it as they went, and it was enough to pull millions of dollars from gullible retards.
>>
There's no general for this game, so how do I play it with you fagets? No one plays online ?
>>
>>337836489
You can give it a try, but last I tried, this game is fucked.
I have i5 for reference. When you want to play it online (you can use hamachi or LAN) you gotta fire up the server aswell.
You can then open your process manager and marvel at the spectacle of:
>Starbound.exe - 50%
>Starbound_server.exe - 49%
And then hear people complain that they're lagging anytime you go somewhere with more than 2 NPC's.

Me and a friend used this to find undeground dungeons. We just walked around the surface. Anytime it started lagging like a motherfucker, there it was. Undergound dungeon.

Going to the outpost is outright suicide if you're hosting.
>>
>>337835635
>The races in XIV also still have different starting stats, as minor as they are. Even that is better than having carbon copies of each race.
these are literally nothing.

>>337835993
>WoW having locked classes depending on races is a Lore thing.
Lore can suck my dick. I don't want to be forced to play a race just because the fucking devs wants to maintain an artistic integrity. If I want to be an undead paladin, for as much as crazy as it sounds, it's a videogame and I should be able to make it, since it shouldn't affect the gameplay.

THe same goes for Wildstar, why I can't be a chua warrior? just because the size? fuck them.

Starbound allows me to pick whatever I want without being forced to change my gameplay.

Yes, Hylotl being able to breathe underwater makes sense lore-wise, but it brokes the gameplay because now I have to play Hylotl in order to explore glacial planets with oceans.

>but on those games, each "race" has enough identity and personality to make you actually pick one or the other.
Subjective
>Starbound has... the way they speak. And the backstory.
Are you blind? The most important thing: their appearance.
>>
Have to agree with what has been said here, I too constantly check in on their news/blog to see what changes they've been adding, as I have done for years now, and I'm never impressed.
It's already been said, the updates are fucking way too focused on cosmetic shit. Why always cosmetic shit? There's no goddamn shortage of cosmetic shit currently, so how about you chucklefucks work on giving us shit to do in the game?
I want reasons to explore.

Look, in Terraria if I go to the underground snow biome EVERYTHING feels unique. New enemies, new hazards, unique loot, new music. You go to the snow biome because it offers things that other biomes don't offer.
Starbound does NONE of these things, when instead it should be expanding on them. Add everything I've just mentioned that Terraria has and think "hmm, what is Terraria's biomes lacking? Oh shit, how about we add a biome specific boss to the area?".

I still play Terraria to this day (I've just got done with another expert hardcore mode playthrough a few hours ago actually) because the game is jam packed with content, and there's no garbage filler quests in it to pad the game out either.

Somebody in the thread earlier on said it best, the emphasis should be on biomes and bosses now. Make them actually feel useful instead of just some cosmetically different area that serves no purpose.

What annoys me most is that people have been saying this shit for FUCKING YEARS NOW, it's so infuriating that they're not listening at all, and instead we get another cosmetic heavy update. Fuck off.
>>
>>337836850
> I don't want to be forced to play a race just because the fucking devs wants to maintain an artistic integrity
Yeah, damn right. Fuck artistic integrity!
Screw the original vision devs had for the game.

>>>/tumblr/
And take the other retarded SJW's that you brought along with you.
>>
i bought it for $15 about 3 years back and i STILL feel ripped off. i roll a new character every ~6 months and still get to the end-game stuff in a ~day. terraria fucking spoiled me man.
>>
File: 1462557546370.jpg (183 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1462557546370.jpg
183 KB, 640x480
>>337837084
Mate, I got it for free 3 years back and I feel bad for the guy who bought me it.
The game is utter shit when compared to Terraria.
>>
>>337837049
In games like WoW, FFXIV and Starbound, there is no point in maintaining artistic integrity because the devs themselfs broke that with transmogs

What fucking integrity you want when you can fight wearing a bikini
>>
>>337837261
>The game is utter shit when compared to Terraria.
The game is utter shit period
>>
>>337837009
You should also know they dropped the "randomly generated monsters" too.
Now you get a set pool of 15 to 20 monsters they designed, and those are all you see.

At least a few of them are fairly unique, but I would have prefered that they improved that feature instead of axing it.

Imagine you drop down, see an animal. You have no idea what it can do, what it drops on death, and how it relates to the plants/animals.
Then you whip out some Pokedex shit, and read all the facts of it.
OR kidnap it, put it on your ship and make SCIENCE with it.

Nah fuck it. Too much work. Here's a few designs.

>>337837261
Got it as a gift too.
Kinda knew it was gonna be shit but I wanted to make sure. Now it's sitting on my library and I can't remove it.
Can you refund gifts?
>>
>>337834157
fuck off tiy
>>
>>337837265
You're starting to talk about MMO's.
We were talking about a bad Terraria clone.
Go to another thread if you want to complain about bikini-armour, neither Terraria nor this game have it.
>>
Terraria is going to update AGAIN before Starbound, on the 22nd

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/1-3-1-release-date.43505/
>>
>>337837501
Terraria does.
>>
File: 1458790575985.gif (1021 KB, 421x389) Image search: [Google]
1458790575985.gif
1021 KB, 421x389
>>337837603
>an update for PC that focuses on wiring mechanics and controller support.
>>
So...serious question.
Will mods truly fix the game, like Tiy has not so subtly implied?
Is anybody that can mod even still around to fix this mess of a game?
>>
>>337837501
>You're starting to talk about MMO's.
Starbound has more MMO elements than Terraria. From quest to gear, the only thing missing is leveling and talent trees, and not every MMO has that.

I am comparing Starbound with MMO because the discussion is about races with differences, something so common in old MMO that ruins the fuckin experience.

>We were talking about a bad Terraria clone.
Terraria doesn't have different races, comparing it with Starbound in the matter of this subject is stupid, anon.

>>337837501
>Go to another thread if you want to complain about bikini-armour, neither Terraria nor this game have it.
Terraria doesn't have it, another reason to not mention it.

But Starbound has armorkinis.
>>
>>337837928
>"Stop mentioning Terraria!" - the post
>>
>>337828129
Three years ago I just wanted to be a science man in space, build robutts and "colonize" plant women. Build a lab maybe go crazy and try to nuke the universe.

But no, Tiy had to spend all his money on niggers so he could watched them fuck Molly in London. Fucking cucks ruin everything.
>>
File: 1460566000645.png (992 KB, 1199x900) Image search: [Google]
1460566000645.png
992 KB, 1199x900
>>337838217
*watch

goodbye post
>>
>>337837814

Most of them got fed up with every update breaking half of everything.
>>
Shut the fuck up and post cute birds
>>
File: 1437728450043.gif (2 MB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
1437728450043.gif
2 MB, 720x576
I heard it's going to release at the same time cube world updates too
>>
What race do you pick /v/?

You're not a robotfag, are you?
>>
>>337838525
Cute dumb plants
>>
>>337838525
Apex for monkee poosy
>>
>>337838525
Burdtits
>>
File: not cropped i swear.png (31 KB, 226x163) Image search: [Google]
not cropped i swear.png
31 KB, 226x163
>>337838525
>hating on robots
fug u

Hylotl forever
>>
>>337829046
>The game is finally starting to look like al the shit we were promised

I thought it started to look like that a year ago but then it was literally nothing

>>337829407
I don't think anyone here would shill Starbound
We're all just waiting to finally get our fucking moneys worth
>>
>>337838975
Source pls
>>
File: Hylotlbro's Hylotlgirl.png (429 KB, 840x617) Image search: [Google]
Hylotlbro's Hylotlgirl.png
429 KB, 840x617
>>337839108
me
3 years ago
>>
>>337838525
Human, since I'm a boring cunt apparently.
>>
>>337839159
I mean source to uncensored. I wish to see dat fishtits
>>
>>337839159
Your anatomy is a bit wonky in the arms m8

I hope you've improved
>>
File: crew.png (9 KB, 368x108) Image search: [Google]
crew.png
9 KB, 368x108
>>337839261
it's not as good as you think it is
>>
>>337838525
Human, so I can
self insert. Yes I know i'm a faggot
>>
>>337839381
That's fine. Link please?
>>
File: 1368225993682.jpg (37 KB, 301x291) Image search: [Google]
1368225993682.jpg
37 KB, 301x291
RACE LIST

GOD TIER:
Floran
Avian
GOOD TIER:
Hylotl
OKAY TIER:
Human
Apex
SHIT TIER:
Glitch
Novakid
>>
>>337839675
This is correct
>>
>>337838525
Human, going to get a Floarn Crew and sedate them with Weed-B-Gone should they rebel.
>>
>>337839675
I can agree with this.
>>
File: 1359230492828.jpg (100 KB, 500x715) Image search: [Google]
1359230492828.jpg
100 KB, 500x715
>>337839418
Alright
http://i.imgur.com/CHs5BrU.png
>>
>>337839937
I like
>>
>>337839937
Bretty good.
But you don't fool me.
That first pic you used to censor it is an Hylotl getting fucked from behind.
Post it.
>>
File: Lightbulbs.png (403 KB, 919x1017) Image search: [Google]
Lightbulbs.png
403 KB, 919x1017
>>337840150
>being wrong
I kind of want to get back into drawing starbound stuff, for some reason
>>
>>337839393
Nothing wrong with self inserting. All my characters look somewhat like me even if they aren't.
>>
>>337840328
I think you might be suffering from a bit of symbol drawing
>>
soon ;)
>>
>>337840551
these are things from 3 years ago, anon
>>
File: 1455563925837.jpg (22 KB, 650x511) Image search: [Google]
1455563925837.jpg
22 KB, 650x511
>>337840884
Do you have anymore recent drawings? I'd like to see how you've improved
>>
anybody watch the road to 1.0 video? is it worth watching or is it filled with shit?
>>
>>337836441
>Make fish breathe underwater
>Don't let fish breathe in the vaccum of space.
It isn't hard.
>>
>>337829046
But thats wrong. They have no date set but have said they would have 'LIKED to have it done in 3 months'.

They said this one month ago.
>>
>>337836441
But there is no oxygen on the moon, hylotl should be able to breathe underwater but not on moons so having that quest step is not pointless.
>>
File: knightprincess_unfinished.png (381 KB, 1193x1503) Image search: [Google]
knightprincess_unfinished.png
381 KB, 1193x1503
>>337840964
I've been having a lot of trouble with drawing for the past 3 years, actually. I almost never finish drawings, and my quest for improvement has left me disappointed with everything I've made in some way or another.
I have no idea what's going on and I want it to stop. Have this unfinished thing in the meanwhile.
>>
File: j1XHFnWl.jpg (48 KB, 640x374) Image search: [Google]
j1XHFnWl.jpg
48 KB, 640x374
Wonder if any of my meme loving fucks are still alive. The online was fun, but damn that shit was years ago
>>
File: Starbound Hopes and Dreams.png (32 KB, 1003x298) Image search: [Google]
Starbound Hopes and Dreams.png
32 KB, 1003x298
>>
>>337833339
>But every step along the way, NPC's seem to be having a cheer good time and no one cares about the galaxy being fucked up side down.
That what happens when you have a plant race that everyone wants to jack off to

See Guild Wars 2
>>
File: th.jpg (12 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
12 KB, 250x250
>>337841853

>Lilly's chest
>>
>>337841509
>>337841802
I'm pretty sure anon is aware of the differences between the moon and the ocean. chucklefuckers however probably didn't bother to define the difference between "no atmosphere" and 'low O2 environments". the game probably only has two states, "Oxygen" and "no Oxygen".
>>
File: 1WL499d.jpg (121 KB, 600x578) Image search: [Google]
1WL499d.jpg
121 KB, 600x578
>>337842081
Of course.
>>
Have they actually improved this since early access launch? Because it was fucking awful. No content whatsoever, just recolored planets to mine more of the same shit on. Dungeons with no bosses/loot at the end. etc etc.
>>
File: 1365809489784.jpg (392 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1365809489784.jpg
392 KB, 800x800
>>337841832
I love it anon, you should really continue drawing, your artwork looks great!

Do you have anywhere you post your art, like a tumblr?
>>
>>337829407
sooo terraria. but in space?
>>
File: 1456418503691.jpg (43 KB, 838x816) Image search: [Google]
1456418503691.jpg
43 KB, 838x816
>>337843064
I have a tumblr, but I haven't used it in a good while. There's barely any posts on the thing, now that I'm looking at it.

Here it is, I guess.
http://dowzii.tumblr.com/
>>
>>337842467

Improved but they also removed content so YAY
>>
Are there any online servers that are publicly available?
I remember having fun around 3 years ago with some random blokes.
I'm wondering if they have fixed the fucking combat and leveling system yet
>>
>>337841361
desu i watched the first 20 minutes and it's just the devs playing around with admin hacks
>>
>>337829731
>I was there when he took that screenshot.
Fuck, early day sbg was fun.
>>
>>337841832
Hey Hylotlbro, long time no see, Its Dyolik.
>>
File: Arble Garble.png (48 KB, 186x218) Image search: [Google]
Arble Garble.png
48 KB, 186x218
>>337845331
Sup bro. Hope you're holding out better than I am
>>
this is the end of starbound
>>
>>337845820
I play occasionally with mods, but.. not really holding out for anything special. Too busy with XIV and Spessmen
>>
>>337838525
Human because I like their ship best.
>>
Pirating it, what am I in for?
>>
>>337846025
I meant holding out in terms of life shit, but ok.
>>
>>337846406
Sorta, same shit different day?
>>
I've kept the game updated, though I barely touch it. Here's what's major and new;

>Random quests are less frequent
>Random quests from spawned NPCS include escorts and eliminations, while Tenants are just collect and deliver
>Outpost got gutted hard. You now do your tech there instead of on your ship. Most vendors gone.
>Story quests don't work. Protectorate quest (the STARTING QUEST that you get the Manipulator from) has never worked.
>Pet AI is improved, but pet choices are shit. The only good pets are the ones that don't get in melee range and snipe (Pteropod is the only one)
>You can capture almost any enemy, except for; Playable Races, Penguins, Poop monsters, Bosses, and one stationary creature in the avian mission. Moontants from the lunar mission can be caught as pets.
>Pets' health and damage scale with the armor you wear. Wearing Ferozium gives the highest damage, Impervium the highest health.
>NPCs can become crew members, and will fight with you or hang out on the ship. They're annoying as fuck and still sit in the captain's chair.
>Staves got reworked. It's fucking MAGIC now. Literally Terraria in space now.
>Novakid glow in the dark, but don't provide any light. Tell me how that makes sense.
>Game loads and runs MUCH better. They somehow fucked up and still have that issue where chunks forget to load, though.
>Biome combinations are alright. Especially when you get a volcanic biome on a forest, since you get FUCKING IMPERVIUM GEAR IN THE CHESTS. Only Impervium armor and lava water balloons. 1/4 chance of Head, Chest, Pants, and Lava Balloon.

If they would just update the Unstable and make it have more than just the sandbox elements, I would probably give it a better review, but there's nothing to fucking do on the Nightly.
>>
File: 1415757607298.jpg (116 KB, 958x669) Image search: [Google]
1415757607298.jpg
116 KB, 958x669
>>337846506
Pretty much, yeah
>>
Is there any online community anywhere currently? I know there's no general for this and /v/ doesn't play. I really should get back into it. Playing offline is dull as fuck, but online is full of fucking around and fun.
>>
File: 1385368337691.png (515 KB, 719x693) Image search: [Google]
1385368337691.png
515 KB, 719x693
>>337844731
I remember that too.
It's amazing how fast these years flew by
>>
>>337847413
I'd say wait until the 1.0 update before playing, considering that the update is supposedly going to change a LOT of shit
>>
>>337847413
Man, the game looked so different back then
>>
File: DDDFixofawesome.png (587 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
DDDFixofawesome.png
587 KB, 1000x1000
>>337847545
Those days were days of hope and hype.

Hype that quickly died.

>Will never be a Hylotl merchant who only sells big heavy weapons.
>>
File: help.png (116 KB, 793x594) Image search: [Google]
help.png
116 KB, 793x594
How do I progress? Only thing I can do is interact with the computer, which renders the message "zzz... zzz... zzz.." and nothing else.
>>
>no way to build space stations
>no way to exterminate planet's population
>no REASON to go down on planets and stay there AT ALL
I'm STILL FUCKING ANGRY.
>>
>>337848616
Nightly is broken. Very broken. You need this mod if you want to play it the way it was intended;

http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/nightly-story.3660/

Otherwise;

/admin
/spawnitem shipT3
/spawnitem superfishaxe
/admin
>>
>>337833339
If you kept up with the dev blog you'd see there's a whole shitty pet pokemon system coming that's a total waste of time but hey they promised pets just like they promised fossils for some reason.

They also moved the survival suit mechanic to backslot items that you can slot extra buffs like regen or light on because they're fucking idiots.
>>
>>337849153
Honestly, I want the regular temperature system to come back (wear warm stuff to counter cold, wear light to not heat up, etc), and I want the Apothecary crafting station to provide proper healing shit to counter radiation, poison, and so on. Back slot items being more than just those three lights is a good change. Nanosuits were shit.
>>
>>337837928
MMOs aren't the only thing that uses racial differences. PnP games have this as well, but it only comes up for optimization for classes rather than locking you out of them. It's still possible to play a tiefling monk for instance even if it isn't optimal.
>>
>>337849495
When did they ever have a heat mechanic, ever? As far as I understood it, they only ever had the cold mechanic.
>>
>>337836441
>>337835635
From what I understand it, there WERE supposed to be race differences... in what techs you unlocked in what order. Basically a progression only thing that would be mostly negated by everyone having rad equipment at endgame.

I've not kept up with the game at all, so I don't know if they've accomplished this.
>>
>>337849495
> temperature system to come back
Well they already brought hunger back and made it infinitely worse with fucking non-stacking food that decays and a ravenous appetite. I'm sure they'll bring back an even worse version of temperature to pander to you survival fags that still affects the game even when it's turned off.

Maybe you'll have to track hydration while warding off effects like sunburn and frostbite. Stay in the shade and avoid cold gusts by just staying inside and preparing meals all day like a housewife.
>>
>>337837761
Wiring mechanics were overdue.
Controller support might finally bring the sad, unfortunate plebeians that stick to shittier ports because of the control scheme back into the fold, although I don't think it was worth delaying the 1.3.1 update, especially given that the more content-focused 1.3.2 is ALREADY IN DEVELOPMENT, BEFORE 1.3.1 IS EVEN FUCKING RELEASED.
>>
>>337837928
>Terraria doesn't have different races
True, but the mods that used to add different races typically had them all play differently.
>>
File: 129791361357.jpg (15 KB, 255x222) Image search: [Google]
129791361357.jpg
15 KB, 255x222
>>337829046
>The game is finally starting to look like al the shit we were promised
>>
Reminder that the only people that want racial abilities are robofags with crippling autism who want to be immune to everything because "realism"
>>
>>337852464
>immune to generic heat, cold, radiation, and poison
>weak to acid and lava, take extra damage while submerged in water

Really I just want my boid to jump higher.
>>
>>337852464
>Birds jump higher
>Plants grow shit faster
>Fish can stay in water for longer without needing to breathe or maybe could otherwise swim faster

It's not a matter of realism, necessarily. It's a matter of reducing the number of "cosmetic" choices. We can already customize our appearances as a species, why can't the choice of species have more of an effect outside of just "I WANNA BE A FISH" "I WANNA BE A BIRD"?

The problem with Starbound is that way too fucking much content is cosmetic. Way too many choices are cosmetic. So little that you do actually has any impact on your progress or how you play. With Terraria, maybe you don't pick different races, but to spec into a particular class requires a time investment and provides you with a set of pros and cons, as well as notably different progression.

But we're playing as fucking aliens, in space. The Klingon are strong but not as intelligent starting out. The Ferengi have amazing business acumen, but aren't particularly fit to be warriors yet make up for that with their acquisition of many technologies. Different races, different traits. Frankly I'd be happy if the tech progression was more notable, more in your face, felt more impactful, and if the chucklefucks actually made good on their promise for different races to have different tech progressions like Hylotl getting water tech earlier, and so on. I haven't played particularly recently so maybe they did that in a patch behind my back, but still.
>>
>>337853997
This.

When races are different it can make following run throughs a lot more fun as well as peoples housing on planets more unique if they build to that races strengths.
>>
Realistic benefits for races;

Apex:
>Beneficial effects last 50% longer
>Harmful effects last 50% longer
They're prone to being experimented on. Buffs and Debuffs lasting longer would make sense.

Avian:
>Jump height increased by 10%
>Fall damage taken increased by 25%
Birds are lighter, but also more fragile. Being flightless, they'd likely fall to their deaths really quickly.

Floran:
>Melee weapon kills share the same drop pool as Bows
>Increased fire damage taken by 25%
Hunters who hate fire, what more can be said?

Glitch:
>Deal more damage with non-tech weapons.
>Submerging in water applies a Rust debuff (Poison effect, just new icon)
They're medieval as hell, and they're just robots.

Human:
>Prices are lower from shops by 25%
>Increased physical damage taken by 25%
Charismatic, but also just flesh and bone. We don't have great defense compared to some animals.

Hylotl:
>Swim 25% faster than other races
>Increased electrical damage taken by 25%
Ever seen a fish get electrocuted?

Novakid:
>Glow in the dark at all times (actually provide light)
>Lower energy consumption from gun weapons by 10%
>Lower base health by 25%
Just makes sense overall.
>>
>>337828536
Update this weekend!
>>
>>337853997
>grass grows, birds fly and brother, I have slightly more carrying capacity

This is why there are no racials. You're left with obviously lame and inferior choices because without stats you don't have anything to differentiate the options beyond immunities, special abilities and ribbons. Which is why your Star Trek example doesn't work here.

Also I don't know where you got the idea races would have different tech progressions. But I'll grant Tiy might've said it in some throwaway tweet just like how armour would have racial abilities and all the other half thought other bullshit he says.
>>
>>337855386
Before the game was even released, it was one of the many things that was promised to be in the game, just like capturing enemies, taming them, training them, and then releasing them back into the wild to fight alongside you.

The idea was that there would be SOME element of choice, some element of difference between races, but that as you progressed closer and closer to endgame, the differences would eventually even out as everyone eventually got everyone else's technology. Because from a lore standpoint, it makes sense that the fish would focus on acquiring technology to get back into his species' traditional habitat faster.

Just like, from what I remember, from a lore standpoint, the fish were on their way towards being able to breathe and swim better underwater but they were at a stage in their species' progression where they hadn't quite yet evolved those traits, and had developed technology to make up for that .
>>
>>337855252
Avian and Human are incredibly shit, minor benefits in exchange for dying easier. Hylotl and Glitch have lame abilities that could get made redundant early on in progression. Floran and Novakid are decent options and Apex is a berserker gimmick build.

Doesn't make sense overall.
>>
>>337855252
Being lighter relative to their size, it would take longer for them to reach terminal velocity, man, meaning they should take less fall damage.

On the flip side, having more spongelike, hollow bones would make them more brittle and thus impact-based damage would likely hurt them more. Far more likely though is that they wouldn't swim good because feathers.

>submerging in water applies a Rust debuff
The thing is though, the Glitch are designed very much so after actual living creatures. They eat, and they drink, so being watertight and and having stainless components would make sense, but that being said maybe they should take more damage in water or acid, as suggested in earlier posts.

>Human
We heal a lot faster than most other animals. Our bones set faster, we get scar tissue so we seal up faster, and so on. They should have an increased bonus to healing. At the very least they should have some kind of energy bonus.

>ever seen a fish get electrocuted
Some fish generate bio-electricity.
>>
>>337842280
Makes sense, since you could freeze to death while in FUCKING LAVA
Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.