[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why were people mad at this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 16
File: ss.jpg (161 KB, 797x545) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
161 KB, 797x545
Why were people mad at this?
>>
why would you be happy about it?
>>
>>337786259
Because his music is kickass, his fight is fun, and it thematically makes sense that he's there
>>
Because it's a disappointing and anticlimatic boss
>>
>>337786161
People felt he came out of fucking no where.
I hear there is refrence of him some where earlier in the game but everybody missed it.
>>
>>337786161
His entire existence is pulled out of the thin air because FF’s needs to have an omnipotent being as the final boss. Not once did he is hinted. They could just make Kuja morph into a higher being, and that is already good enough.
>>
>>337786161

Because it doesn't make shit for sense as a last boss.

They could have just made Kuja Trance have like a Kuja Ex Trance or some other meme-word.

Instead they make up a new deity literally 5 minutes before the end of the game.
>>
>>337786638
>>337786848
>>337786945
>>337787002
ITT: hyper emotional teenagers that get mad over literally nothing
>>
File: 1429233577502.png (1 MB, 1020x991) Image search: [Google]
1429233577502.png
1 MB, 1020x991
>>337786945
>not once is he hinted
Wrong, he's the Iifa tree mechanism

>>337787002
>Because it doesn't make shit for sense as a last boss.
The entire game is about Life, the entire soundtrack is based on a song about life, and you fight Necron, an avatar of death and absolute erasure at the end of the game.
Not really just jumping you with a big blue man as a final boss.
Especially when you die right before fighting him.
Kuja basically executes you mafia style with giant ultima beams point blank.

>>337786848
Pretty much this, it's easy to get lost in FF9's weird planetary plot unless you really pay attention and keep certain things in mind.
>>
>>337787245
>FF9 fag thinks that his game is perfect
(You)

>>337787321
When is he hinted then?
>>
>>337787905
In the box art
>>
>>337786460
Man that theme is so classic final fantasy and I love it
>>
>>337787987
wait what? the Iifa tree mechanism? he was the opposite of the universal crystal, the representation of nothing. Where was this in the Iifa tree or when?
>>
>>337787987
Which box art may I ask? The one I had is the one that have 5 character in front of it. Zidane, Steiner, Garnet, Amarant and Vivi.
>>
>Kuja told all his life he was immortal
>finds out hes not
>Decides if he can't live forever, no one will
>destroy the soul recycling planet that he and Zidane are from
>Necron is summoned because of this
>Necron decides that the only way to bring balance is to destroy all life

there you go
>>
>>337788315
From this, I could guess Necron is hinted at the crashed ship (were you fight Arc) or when you visited Zidane’s planet. I might’ve missed them. Time to boot the steam version then.
>>
I once went as Necron for Halloween.

Two months later my parents were divorced.
>>
>>337788046
I agree

>>337787905
>>337788219
The Crystal isn't represented in the Iifa Tree, instead the Iifa Tree is a pipeline between Terra & Gaia that exchanges Gaian Souls with Terran Souls.
The Soulcage boss comes down and taunts you and vaguely says that he has existed for a 1,000 years and that the Iifa Tree creates Mist as a byproduct to the soul exchange.
When defeated he says this isn't his true end.

Then when you return to the Iifa Tree, and go into Memorium, and finally get destroyed by Kuja you wake up on the "Hill of Despair" and can hear people wailing in agony in the background. You then confront Necron, who glows red & blue like the souls of Terra(red) and Gaia(blue).

?????: So, it wasn't Kuja.

Zidane: "You just said Kuja! Where is he!?"

?????: I do not know.

Zidane: "Are you the one who makes the Mist!?"

?????: It is not produced... Mist is a by-product of the refining
process. It is discharged through the roots.

Zidane: "But why!? Why would you do that!?"

?????: I contaminate the other continents with Mist to stimulate the
fighting instinct. This, in turn, leads to war among the leaders
of nations, and then to the fall of civilization. Kuja merely
puts the by-product to a different use.

Vivi: "A different use!? What is Kuja trying to do!?"

?????: I cannot lie. Kuja used the waste product to make weapons.
Weapons...like yourself.

Zidane: "Wait, Eiko! What kind of weapons did Kuja make?"

?????: Kuja called them black mages, dark spawn of the Mist.

Zidane: "!?"
Dagger: "So the factory in Dali was really..."

?????: Defeat me, and no more Mist will flow. And then no more weapons
like this puppet will be made. Answer me, puppet. Do you deny
your very birth?

Vivi: "I won't let you make any more instruments of murder!"

?????: I have seen the end of my thousand-year life, and it is not now.
You cannot stop me. It is futile to even try.
>>
>>337788997
Any hint at him being in the game is your illusion. Even the devs stated he was put in last minute. They considered Hades to dark to be the final boss. Even concept art from the FF 25th anniverary ultimania shows Hades in place where you fight Necron.

http://gamingbolt.com/hades-originally-the-final-boss-in-final-fantasy-ix
>>
>>337786161
Because they shouldn't have bothered with writing a story if this is how they wanted to end it. Anything post Terra is nonsensical and what came before was already reaching.
>>
>>337786161

He pretty much comes out of nowhere. Yeah there's a few potential explanations, but when you're actually playing the game they aren't relevant. The first time you see him, you're not like
>oh yeah I was sure waiting to see this guy, everything about this encounter makes perfect sense
you're more like
>who the hell is this? the fuck is happening?

Sure, he's a reference to "classic" FF out of nowhere final bosses like Cloud of Darkness and Zemus, but frankly those weren't great final bosses to begin with. A final boss that is built up over the course of the game will pretty much always be better than one that comes completely out of nowhere. Good pacing trumps "surprise". There's a handful of exceptions, but generally they try really hard to make a strong impression in the limited time they have. Necron doesn't make a strong enough impression to make up for the lack of foreshadowing/build-up.
>>
>>337787321
>In Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary Ultimania — File 1: Character Book, Necron is described as, "a being awakened by Kuja's fear, despair, and hatred, which called out to it as he learned of his mortality, just as his ambitions were within reach".
>>
File: implying.webm (108 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
implying.webm
108 KB, 640x480
>>337786460
>and it thematically makes sense
>>
>>337788997
but that was Iifa tree itself, the tree was planted 1000 years ago by garland. I knew the tree was the pipe line, but the reason he was put there was to weaken Gaia's crystal so Terra can take over, they tried fusing the crystals with before and that's when the summoners and Terrans fought eachother. Soul cage was just apart of the stage of soul cycle of a much larger Iifa tree. Soul cage isn't Necron if that's what you are saying.
>>
File: 1-Kain_Chapter.png (1 MB, 700x800) Image search: [Google]
1-Kain_Chapter.png
1 MB, 700x800
>>337789683
Changing their original intention while still in development really doesn't disprove the connection.

Though I'm just wrong anyway because Soul Cage having a "thousand year life" really doesn't fit the 5K year timeline.

And now that I've googled for new information it seems I'm disproved by: >>337790271
The Ultimania, and the wiki also provides a timeline: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IX/Timeline

So Necron does in fact literally come out of fucking nowhere.

>>337790367
At the very least Necron is the anti-thesis to the whole Life theme of the game.

But I guess maybe Blue out of fucking nowhere Man is just a reference to Zemus.

I actually like Zemus
Necron was only cool in 6 because Gilgamesh comes and fucks him up
>>
>>337790653
well I'm being a fag over this detail, but it's life and death. The point being that death wasn't the end all but a new begining and memories of those who left never die, hence the whole memories of life song.
>>
A wild Necron appears
>>
>>337791214
This highlighted by Vivi who lives and dies throughout the course of the game and that his death is actually a new beginning.

I suppose that is a better way of stating the point of the game.

I'm currently fumbling over it being worthwhile to live out your life, or that life is more than a short road to annihilation and that your life ultimately means something.
>>
When I first finished it, I was 12 and thought it was lame.

I played again years later and found it great.
>>
File: FFIX-Hades.png (239 KB, 392x615) Image search: [Google]
FFIX-Hades.png
239 KB, 392x615
I'm quite confused on what Hades would've brought to the table, or in what situation you would fight him.
Clearly he is some avatar of death, would he just have the same dialogue as Necron? Maybe Necron was a second form or something?

>>337792520
There are a lot of games I've absolutely hated and have gone back to only to find that they really were quite good games, I always get something interesting out of FF.
Always = Usually
>>
>>337792520
The years passed and more retarded you become.
>>
>love blue magic
>don't like how quina looks
whatever
>>
>>337792006
yeah how you live it not how long you live it and even then it's not over, the cycle of life and death is never ending.
>>
>>337790148
Cloud of Darkness had some limited plot establishment before you actually get to fight her which makes her a well done "surprise" final boss.
Zemus is literally just the soul of Zeromus, there is no surprise there at all.
Necron still comes out of fucking nowhere with no establishment though.
>>
>>337790653
There is no Necron in FF6. There is only Necrophobe.
>>
So aside from Necron, what else in FF9 can we talk about?

Or shall we talk about a superior FF? Like 4
>>
>>337793489
Fuck off with you're waifu bait.
>>
>>337792846
They just swapped their models and movesets, the dialogue is the same. Someone should just make a mod to swap them around, make Necron the hidden boss you find in the coral reef section and Hades the final boss with dialogue intact.
>>
>>337786161
GRAND CROSS
>>
File: tumblr_mbdwjfkfax1qizbpto1_1280.jpg (612 KB, 900x1165) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mbdwjfkfax1qizbpto1_1280.jpg
612 KB, 900x1165
>>337793026
Blue Magic so good, my favorite

>>337793369
Zemus has a bit of build up as well, and I think he fits well.

>>337793538
How about my Husbando bait?

>>337793573
Swap them around and put Hades on the floor.
>>
>>337794043
>Zemus has a bit of build up as well, and I think he fits well.
His build is Zeromus' build up. They're the same fucking character. So of course he has buildup. I don't understand how can anyone think Zemus and Zeromus are separate characters when Zemus quite literally just Zemus' pissed off soul wanting revenge.
>>
>>337793992
>casual filter: the move
>>
>>337786161
My issue with Necron is that there's no mention of it or anything that's going on at the very end at any point in the main story.

The end of the game is built up entirely to the final confrontation with kuja. We have to get to him and defeat him before he destroys the planet. But out of fucking nowhere the game goes "Hey, did you know there's this crystal that created the Universe and life or whatever, and then there's this deity thing that is going to destroy that crystal because lifeforms suck?". And we're supposed to just sit there and go "oh...those things exist". It's pointlessly shoehorned in so we can have a final battle with something we don't care about to save the universe...just 'cause. And you're telling me somehow Zidane and co. are actually able to defeat this shit? The game could have ended right after the fight with kuja and nothing would have changed.
>>
I hadn't played FF9 for years before the steam release, and playing through it again after all this time was great.

Hearing a lot of the tracks in the game just makes me want to tear up instantly.
Pretty much anything that is a remix of the main theme turns me into a little girl for a few minutes instantly.
Stuff like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnCD5UW7vhA
Hearing it for the first time in years and just sitting here with tears in my eyes. There's many songs that did that to me in FF9.
Something about the main theme and its remixes is just magical.
>>
File: FfixLogo.jpg (315 KB, 2000x601) Image search: [Google]
FfixLogo.jpg
315 KB, 2000x601
>>337794505
>But out of fucking nowhere the game goes "Hey, did you know there's this crystal
>out of nowhere
You realize the crystal is literally on the final fantasy logo of FFIX, right?
The thing between the two words? That's not an explosion. That's the crystal.
>>
File: tumblr_lzjycjz2JO1qizbpto1_1280.jpg (616 KB, 850x1191) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lzjycjz2JO1qizbpto1_1280.jpg
616 KB, 850x1191
>>337794154
Even when I believed the Soul Switch mechanism Necron theory, I could still see how people thought "NECRON OUT OF NOWHERE".

But it never made sense to me to say that Zemus came out of nowhere, especially when he's mentioned pretty much as soon as you actually get to talk to a Lunarian on the moon.

Oh well, some people just can't read and will always be on those critical band wagons.
>>
>>337794756
Oh, it was in one picture in the game's logo. Yeah, that explains everything.
>>
>>337794756
Crystals are a recurring theme in all the fucking FF games.
1-5 have flat out crystals.
6 has Magicite Crystals.
7 has Materia Crystals.
8 has the Crystal Pillar.
9 has the Crystal again.
10 has Sphere Crystals (which were later retconned in the Ultimania to actually being Materia and Farplane being the Lifestream because muh FF7 prequel bullshit)
11 has Crystals.
12 has Magicite Crystals (and Save Crystals if those count too)
13 has Crystals (the ones used for Summons) as well as people turning into Crystals
14 has Crystals working same as in 11 mostly.
15 main plot revolves around Noctis' kingdom being buttfucked by a different country to steal Noctis' Kingdom's Crystal.

Really FF8 is pretty much the only one where Crystal/Crystals didn't have a major role.
>>
>>337795264
FF syndrome, where you have to list something about every FF game

>>337794756
Even if it was on the cover, how does this convey it's importance to the player?
The only other important crystal in the game is the Alexander summon crystal, and you really don't get a good look at that.
>>
>>337792846
Hades would make the symbolism incredibly obvious.
>>
>>337795592
>FF syndrome, where you have to list something about every FF game
What are you on about? I was giving evidence to make my point about Crystals being a recurring theme, much like Chocobos, items, spells, turn based or ATB combat system and so on.
It's all part of the FF identity and if you take those away the game might as well not be called FF.
>>
>>337795732

Fuck off, mate.
>>
Why would you not mad? Just look at that shitty graphic
>>
File: 540550-kefka_statue.jpg (56 KB, 572x592) Image search: [Google]
540550-kefka_statue.jpg
56 KB, 572x592
>>337795732
Do you think it was a criticism of your argument or a commentary on what a lot of FF fans like to do?
Maybe you're projecting your insecurity a little hard.

>>337795664
true
>>
>>337795837
Fuck off underage

>>337795664
>>337795842
That's why I said someone should just make a simple swap mod. Necron would even fit the void-like aesthetic of where hidden boss Hades is more. Same with Hades fitting in more with that final boss room and floating in air would make more sense on his throne that's set on a floating crystal.
>>
So why is FF9 such an overlooked FF game? FF7 and 8 both get a fair amount of attention and then it jumps to 10 in terms of popularity. I never really played the series but I was alive during the time and I pretty much remember no fuss being made over FF9.
>>
>>337796327
FF9 came out in 2000 when PS1 was already dead and PS2 was already gaining huge popularity.
And then FF10 came out literally next year.
>>
>>337796327
>FF9
>Overlooked
>>
>>337796327
It isn't.
>>
>>337796387
>>337796423
It is though.
Sold considerably less than FF7 and 8 on PSX and again sold less than them on Steam.
>>
>>337786161
I'm pretty sure only americans were mad.
They hate thinking.
Those are the same guys that renamed the philosopher's stone to sorcerer's stone.
>>
>>337794505
pretty much my major issue with 13's entire story. while I agree with necron shoe horn the crystals were explained earlier when you go get the pumice piece and then some more before you enter terra.
>>
File: 1406562024708.jpg (112 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1406562024708.jpg
112 KB, 1280x720
>>337796736
>It's overlooked because it didn't sell as much as the best selling game of the franchise
?????????

Also, it has the highest MetaScore if you want to get down to that shit.
>>
>>337796327
it's also do to the fact that many people couldn't get into the graphic style it went with.
>>
>>337796976
It's one of the worst selling, together with 2 and 3.
2 is also universally regarded as worst, because it is really.
The only thing of worth that 2 did was spawning the SaGa series.
>>
>>337786161
When people on /v/ say they think FFIX is the best they mean the first disc, OP

It's selective memory at its finest
>>
>>337797098
again this is when the ps2 debuted and they were showing X production off. IX got shafted but in reality it was a pretty damn good game.
>>
>>337797235
I know it's a damn good game, my point is that it IS overlooked due to poor marketing (which focused more on the upcoming FF10 instead) and other reasons such as people disliking the art style.
In no way in hell is this game "popular" thus it is indeed overlooked. Overlooked doesn't mean shit as some people here seem to think.
>>
>>337797098
>As of March 31, 2003, the game had sold 5.30 million copies worldwide.
>The game was voted the 24th-best game of all time by readers of the Japanese magazine Famitsu.

You do also realise that pre-VII games sold like shit because they didn't even get a release in EU and for US two games were skipped because it wasn't popular enough, right?

In terms of sales it's above all I-VI, XII, X-2, XIII-2, XIII-3
>>
>>337797195
It's not the first disc, it's just that the main continent is the only interesting part of the game outside learning of Terra related things.
The entire trek our of the main continent and into the Iifa Tree was pretty uneventful and drab. With maybe the exception of the Black Mage village
>>
>>337797387
>Japanese popularity
I was talking strictly western and you obviously know that, faggot.
>>
>>337797553
>I was talking strictly western and you obviously know that, faggot.
Point me to the part where you said that strictly western popularity applies. And let's not forget that Japanese like Dragon Quest more than FF.
>>
>>337797678
I think it's common fucking sense to assume someone is talking about popularity of something in the west when discussing western sales, cause, you know, JAPAN DOESN'T FUCKING HAVE FF ON STEAM YOU RETARD.
>>
>>337796327
After the 3edgy5me atmosphere of 7 and 8, all the new edgelord fans that Squeenix gained on Playstation got buttmad over MUH CHIBI GRAFIX
>>
>>337786161
Because he quotes The Phantom Menace
>>
I wish I could ditch Zidane and use an Amarant, Quina, Freya and Elko team instead.
>>
File: 1339671317815.jpg (16 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
1339671317815.jpg
16 KB, 126x126
>>337797829
Why are you so fucking mad when you don't even present the full argument? If you don't directly say "oh and only west counts" then you can't fucking yell at people for not pondering what you're pondering.

Even so: It's far more popular than 1-5, XII-2, XIII-3, even fucking VIII, X-2 and XII by a long margin.
>>
File: Untitled.png (475 KB, 1042x803) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
475 KB, 1042x803
>>337797829
The fuck does steam matter at all in this case?
VII has been out on steam for 3 years, IX for a month. No shit it sold less. Are you clinically retarded?

Also
>JAPAN DOESN'T FUCKING HAVE FF ON STEAM YOU RETARD.
Yeah, you really are clinically retarded.
>>
>>337798092
>FF9
>more popular than 5, Waifu Trilogy, 10-2 and 12
No.
>>
File: 1448189375345.jpg (190 KB, 900x636) Image search: [Google]
1448189375345.jpg
190 KB, 900x636
>>337798213
10-2 is popular? More popular than 9?
Holy shit
>>
>>337797996
this tbqh famalam
>>
>>337798213
No one gives a shit about 5, the only FF from the pre-PS1 era that people care about is 6.
X-2 is universally disliked by anyone who liked X. XII is universally disliked period.
Though I'm sure there's no way it's more liked than any of the Lightning games.
>>
>>337798342
10-2 has the best battle system in any Final Fantasy.
>>
>>337798213
The only Pre-VII that gained ground was VI.

Actually it's more popular than whole XIII trilogy since sales don't really reflect the popularity.

Nobody in their right mind can claim that XII trilogy is more approved of than IX. People hate on the whole trilogy so baselessly it's not even funny.

And if went by sales, LR sold like 1 million copies and XIII-2 sold like 3 million.

>12
People are just as torn with the game as they are with VIII. Hardly popular, sold less than IX in total as well.

>10-2
Another love/hate title that also sold less than IX.

>>337798420
>X-2 is universally disliked by anyone who liked X. XII is universally disliked period.
This is just yet another baseless statement.
>>
>>337793448
There is no necrophobe in ff6 either, fucko.

He's in 5.
>>
>>337798420
4 and 5 have pretty large fanbases actually

>>337798432
I disagree, on the surface it has some pretty interesting class concepts and is arguably a more polished 5 job system. But it suffers from the same action menu gameplay of 13. Timing your menu entries to result in enemies launched in the air when they're most vulnerable
>>
>>337797338
I know I agree just explaining why it's overlooked
>>
>>337798509
copies were returned at record highs
there are a lot of people who just hated the game for actual reasons.
>>
XIII is the most boring Final Fantasy and among the most boring games I've played.
Lightning also doesn't have ass.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.