[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Duke Nukem Forever ended up bombing >DOOM ended up being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10
File: close but no cigar.jpg (46 KB, 620x390) Image search: [Google]
close but no cigar.jpg
46 KB, 620x390
>Duke Nukem Forever ended up bombing
>DOOM ended up being a big success

Will the Duke ever recover?
>>
Hype + Trying to shoehorn every modern trend in FPS is what killed it, so it wouldn't be too goddamn hard to recover.
>>
Gearbox owns it.

It's not fucking recovering.

They're gonna put out an absurdly fucking shitty game that is somehow loved by the press.
>>
Gearbox next Duke game will turn him into a numale.
>>
File: 1461565717188.png (95 KB, 475x507) Image search: [Google]
1461565717188.png
95 KB, 475x507
Leaked info from nintendo reveals the next game will kill off duke at the start by having him choke on a poisoned cigar and replace him with a wise-cracking poc mtf transexual called Duke Nukxm, fighting the aliens and the newly made duke nukem-clones (which are now running rampant and causing offense the world over) and then eventually convincing them to live peacefully with humans. In order to do this, Duke has to find and defeat the alien queen in a battle of wits aboard the alien mothership and then eventually to their homeworld, which involves a political quiz in the style of B&K's finale gameshow.
Apparently you also get a female muslim sidekick, who at the end of the game teaches the duke clones the way of islam.
It's also revealed at the end that Duke Nukxm is actually the original Duke himself that got dunked into nuclear waste (as per his wish for after his death) and somehow came back to life with darker skin and a more realistic mindset that suits the current year.

Gearbox desperately wants to forget the duke nukem brand's ugly cisexist past.
>>
Gearbox is already trying to fuck over the eDuke dev
>>
File: 1270500633772.png (223 KB, 998x2798) Image search: [Google]
1270500633772.png
223 KB, 998x2798
>that feel when all you wanted was a passable Duke game
>even the multiplayer was DOA
>>
Maybe if he gets away from Gearbox
>>
>>337774068

you're right they should let id and Bethesda do his next game
>>
>big success
Huh. Since when is selling less than a Paradox grand strategy game considered a success?
>>
>>337773851
Yep Gearbox is literal scum and I hope Battleborn fails quickly.

https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7273

Imagine if Bethesda tried to attack the Doom community, imagine such a fallout. I'm glad I have the Gog copies of Duke 3D as well as Megaton on Steam. Gearbox will never see a dime from me.
>>
>>337774320

>Wanted to get Duke Nukem Megaton on Vita because handheld Duke sounds comfy for when I'm bored and not at home
>It's gone
>>
>>337771225
Why do people hate DNF so much?

Granted it wasn't amazing or anything but it was competent enough, DOUK was still DOUK even if he couldn't carry the right amount of weapons

the load times were fucking unforgivable though
>>
>>337774454

at least the loading music was great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyl8McQniPk
>>
>>337771618
But the press fucking hated Duke4ever
>>
>>337774404
Take my word for it, the port was iffy.
The singleplayer was okay but the multiplayer was busted to shit
>>
>>337774654

The press hated it for a completely unfair reason, to be desu with you fampai. Duke has always copied whatever was the most popular at the time (side scrollers, DOOM, etc). People expecting Forever to be like DN3D but in HD were bound to be let down

I actually liked the level where you're shrunken though, some of the levels really felt like good Duke levels
>>
>>337774929
No, it was a matter of Gearbox literally just resurrecting a 2006 beta build
>>
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/13/doom-review-2

>7.1
Blunder of the year.
>>
Next Duke will be SJW coop moba shooter.
>>
>>337771225
You just need to give the ip to a dev that knows what they're doing.

seems like something platinum might be good at, though I don't think they've ever done an fps
>>
>>337774454
>Regenerating Health
>LMAO 2 Weapon Limit
>Lazy Level Design
>Bunch of scripted shit
>Looked like an Xbox 360 Launch title

To be fair the minigames were pretty cool and some jokes landed. But Duke deserved better. It was basically a poor man's Half-Life 2 which is also a shit game instead of being a Modernized Duke Nukem 3D.

Doom 4 works because it looks at the original core Doom as well as Quake instead of you know trying to follow the fucking trends and copying all the shit that gamers are tired of.
>>
>tfw my childhood hero is getting raped like this
Why? Is there anything that can save him from that cunt randy?
>>
>>337775013
>Best Single Player Campaign since Crysis 1
>7.1 out of 10

These niggas serious?
>>
Shadow Warrior reboot was ok, fun but repetitive
Rise of the Triad reboot was fun
Wolf TNO was good
Doom was good
Blood is never ever status because of Atari
Duke is in the worst shape, source port is getting attacked, Gearbox is remaking Duke 3d and it will be shit, likely a new game eventually which will be awful.

So what old-school FPS IP will be reborn next?
>>
>>337775727

Hexen
>>
>>337771225
At the end of the day, DKF had 13 years of hype behind it, but felt like something a third rate studio could of made in 6 months.

>>337775727
What about Serious Sam?
>>
>>337776027
SS is an ongoing series. Just very slow
>>
>>337775727
QUAKE 5 please
>>
>>337775727
maybe system shock not including that one remake
>>
I liked DNF

except the shitty rc car segments of course

>tfw you finally find a cigar ingame
>>
>>337777347
I thought the old Shock boys were making both a Unity remake and a new installment?
>>
Persona 5 US release for Oct confirmed: http://gamingbolt.com/persona-5-will-be-at-e3-2016-atlus-confirms
>>
File: tmpgM3LDt.jpg (14 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
tmpgM3LDt.jpg
14 KB, 250x250
>>337779301
>>
>>337775841
who owns the rights for hexen
>>
>>337780491
activision. Why did I even fucking ask.
>>
>>337774454
gearbox ruined the 'forever' meme because its more than 10 years on limbo.
to be honest i kinda miss that meme
>>
Gearbox should've made their promise and released the modding tools for it. Even with that you'd end up with a small, but dedicated community working on some good shit.
>>
>>337771225
According to whom?
>>
We all know that Duke as a Character would be absolutely savaged by gaming press in this day and age.
>>
>>337780976
You don't want them. DNF's engine is a UE2 derivative that's incredibly hacked up, as 3DR did remake after remake to keep the engine up-to-date with their neverending release target. Get the assets, export them to something like UE4 (or even Unity), and work from there.
>>
>>337782090

I'm honestly quite amazed that game even managed to hold itself together with all the stitching made to it. Although I do wish one day we could get our hands on the earlier builds of DNF just to see what they were like.

Although I heard a rumour that the 2001 trailer from E3 was all just cutscenes, was that true?
>>
>>337782819
Don't know for certain, but probably. If by "cutscenes" you mean "not actually playable, scripted mockups". If you don't see a UI or a playable demo, it's almost always scripted.
>>
>>337771225
Not now that Gearbox own the IP.

It's a fate worse than death for Douk.
>>
>>337771225
>74 on Metacritic
>>
>>337771225
Duke is much more a product of the time, so i doubt it. You can't really have a hyper machismo dude main character these days. Dooms gameplay is eternal though.
>>
>>337782819
Apparently the 2001 trailer was all scripted scenes. There was no game at that point.
>>
>>337771225
DNF is one of the worst games ever made and should never have been released. It was so obviously stitched together from several different levels from several different builds it had over the years.
>>
>>337785307
It's really not that bad, I mean it was a mediocre, derivative game but it wasn't fundamentally broken or buggy or unplayable. It would have been better received if it had been released in about 2005. In the game extras you can see builds from around that time and very little is different.
I'm glad it was released just purely out of curiosity at what the game was actually like.
I could tell Randy Pitchford was bullshitting about how good it was when he presented it.
The fractured development really does show though, it has a very inconsistent look. Some parts looked fine for a 2011 game, others looked very dated.
>>
>>337775194
Multiplayer and snapmap being shit could be factors
>>
>>337781169
>>337785094

Doesn't matter, it will be fondly remembered. Take a look at Doom and you'll see most people were surprised by its quality

Even though this Doom will probably stay above 8 on MT, critic reviews don't mean much re: a game's legacy. VtmB was shat on when it released and it's not fondly remembered. There are many other such examples
>>
>>337771225

>Will the Duke ever recover?

https://forums.duke4.net/topic/8340-the-duke-nukem-forum-on-gearbox/page__st__510__p__245702#entry245702

>They did. I'm not gonna say who they farmed it out to, but let's just say that all the medkits have stupid looking pills drawn on them now. From a code standpoint, and this is just my opinion, they are screwing the game up. They managed to break compatibility with all mods that utilize any .CON files released in the last 20 years. They also thought painting mohawks onto liztroops was a viable option to create a new enemy in the whole 2 weeks their "agile" development plan gave them to work with, but thankfully I was able to convince them otherwise on that one by handing over some art assets from a DN3D prototype. Yes, their product clearly suffers without my involvement. The maps are made by separate contractors. You guys will like them--they are nice maps. One of the mappers even asked me for help with something last night... and I helped him, because I like the guy a lot and making him waste hours of time on what m32script accomplishes in an instant wasn't going to hurt Gearbox any.

>Unfortunately, the new lines from JSJ aren't that great. I don't think that's JSJ's fault. They're very deadpan. I don't think he was given any direction when recording them. No amount of post-processing is going to make it sound like he gave a shit. A lot of them are dumb lines ripped directly from currently popular media. I about cried when I heard him say "bazinga".

nope
>>
>>337785891
>Randy Pitchford was bullshitting about how good it was when he presented it
He's in the business of selling the game to pay Gearbox employees. Dampening enthusiasm means laying people off.
>>
>>337787025
>Even though this Doom will probably stay above 8 on MT, critic reviews don't mean much re: a game's legacy. VtmB was shat on when it released and it's not fondly remembered.

Critics ARE plebby idiots.

But there was some good reasons to hate on that game. It was a bugged out mess on release. The combat is also clunky.
>>
>>337771225
>massive success
>74 metacritic score
>cucked by uncharted 4
Shills can't catch a break
>>
>>337775727

Chex Quest
>>
File: duke sewer.png (60 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
duke sewer.png
60 KB, 640x480
DNF wasn't a bad game, just super mediocre and felt like a call of duty with Duke Nukem skin. But that's not good enough for Douk. Duke Nukem 3D is one of the best FPS games ever made and deservedly one of the cornerstones in video gaming. Douk deserves great games, not shitty or mediocre games. I don't know why devs can't see this, they probably think the character of Duke is enough to attract audience when in reality Duke Nukem 3D would've had been a masterpiece no matter who was the main character.
It was almost like they completely forgot what made Duke Nukem 3D so amazing. DNF has all the things that are wrong with modern first person shooters from linear levels to shitty quick time events. It didn't even come with modding tools that would've had given some extra life to it.

There was a Douk thread few days ago where someone linked to some Duke forum where someone from the inside of Gearbox/2k told how there's currently some new Duke Nukem 3D re-release in the makings. It will have re-recorded voices by Jon St. John, HD textures etc. doesn't sound all bad. What I'm afraid of is that they will censor the content and make it more P.C. with no babes, less violence, and maybe some retarded edits of the classic monsters.
I also read that one of the new lines Duke will have is BAZINGA, I shit you not.
>>
File: godhand MT.png (45 KB, 423x309) Image search: [Google]
godhand MT.png
45 KB, 423x309
>>337787153

Pick your poison then. A game stands on its own and its quality, if ignored by pro critics, is passed ahead via word of mouth. Some faggot from IGN isn't the final authority on anything
>>
>>337787061
>but let's just say that all the medkits have stupid looking pills drawn on them now.

That's common in ports now. The Red Cross doesn't want their symbol used in commercial products or media.

It sounds like they're making a new episode for DN3D for the re-release.
>>
>>337787263
>There was a Douk thread few days ago where someone linked to some Duke forum where someone from the inside of Gearbox/2k told how there's currently some new Duke Nukem 3D re-release in the makings. It will have re-recorded voices by Jon St. John, HD textures etc. doesn't sound all bad. What I'm afraid of is that they will censor the content and make it more P.C. with no babes, less violence, and maybe some retarded edits of the classic monsters.
>I also read that one of the new lines Duke will have is BAZINGA, I shit you not.

Already confirmed true by the guy who made EDuke32 (and who's now working on the Bombshell Build FPS) and lent them help on some Mapster issues. It will have a bunch of new Jon St. John quotes, all of them about modern pop culture and highly cancerous. Expect "misogyny" to be turned down too, whatever that means to Gearbox
>>
>>337771225
DNF wasn't good but it was still one of the best FPS games released in the modern era. The king of the trash as it were.

Also Doom4 is dogshit anyway.
>>
>>337787279
Critics are fucking terrible. But worse is the amount of noise and disinformation spread by retards. Word of mouth is basically useless. People will praise the most god awful shit you can throw at them and then do it consistently.

The only way to know is to play the game really.
>>
File: dukehandu.jpg (87 KB, 484x777) Image search: [Google]
dukehandu.jpg
87 KB, 484x777
>>337787061
>but let's just say that all the medkits have stupid looking pills drawn on them now
That's understandable because of Geneva Conventions, red cross etc.
>They managed to break compatibility with all mods that utilize any .CON files released in the last 20 years
This sucks. They probably think nobody wants to play mods or that mods are for nurrrrrrrrrrrrrrds.
>Unfortunately, the new lines from JSJ aren't that great. I don't think that's JSJ's fault. They're very deadpan. I don't think he was given any direction when recording them. No amount of post-processing is going to make it sound like he gave a shit. A lot of them are dumb lines ripped directly from currently popular media. I about cried when I heard him say "bazinga".
I though there was something wrong with his voice in DNF as well. I can't really put my finger on it why, but he just sounded "off". In some of the PS1 Duke games he sometimes spoke in slightly non-Duke sounding voice for some reason, I can't think it could be any worse than that. At least they got JSJ to do the voice and not some retarded cheapo sound-a-like.
>>
File: 1454779628628.png (52 KB, 188x162) Image search: [Google]
1454779628628.png
52 KB, 188x162
>>337787409
>yfw Gearbox will make Douk say something about "misogynist gamergate neckbeards"
>>
>>337787263
Can you imagine the SJW shitstorm if DNF had been released just a couple of years later? The writing was already on the wall in 2011, but nobody had any idea just how bad things would get.
>>
File: 1434187345492.png (1 MB, 747x624) Image search: [Google]
1434187345492.png
1 MB, 747x624
Classic FPS revivals

God tier
Serious Sam 3

Good tier
Wolfenstein Enemy Territory
Shadow Warrior
Unreal Tournament

Mid Tier
D44M

Low Tier
Rise of the Triad

Shit Tier
DUKE NUKEM FOREVER AND EVER
>>
>>337787931
>ET
>not The New Order
I guess I fucked up
>>
>>337787931

SS3 wasn't a revival. It was the new entry in a series that didn't ever go on hiatus (even though SS2 was kinda lame) has always played more or less the same

Wolf ET isn't a revival either. I'm guessing you mean either RtcW or TNO, and in either case you're right

But holy shit, the modern Shadow Warrior is TRASH. NuDoom is 10 times better, not even hyperbole. SW2 might be good, I don't know
>>
I'm sure Gearbox will save the poor guy by rebooting the series at some point. What could possibly go wrong?

Dukelands.
>>
>>337787860
>all the captured women will be replaced by black trans men captured by the white pigs
>>
>>337788162
yeah I meant New Order, haven't played Old Blood yet.
Obviously ET is still good, I get the titles mixed up a lot when it comes to Wolfenstein.
>>
>>337787263
>>337787409
I wonder if they resurrected the remake by Interceptor, or if this is just going to be a cheap "HD remaster" of the original build engine game.

Either way, it will be Gearbox profiting off someone else's work
>>
>>337788221

>Cuck Nukem 3D
>Cycloid Emperor is replaced by MechTrump
>>
>>337787909
There was a moral panic when Duke Nukem 3D was released, but at the time most people didn't really give a hoot. It feels like nowadays the people who moral panic over this kind of shit actually have some power and that they're inside the business.
It's also funny because Duke Nukem is just as sexist on men as it is on women, yet it's only bad when women's boobies are shown. They see nothing wrong with shallow meatheaded muscle dude whose only purpose is to fuck and kill.

Not that I have problem with these in video games, most people can take this as a joke.
>>
>>337788330

It is akin to Megaton, i.e. a re-release. If it was the entirety of Duke 3D on a modern engine it'd be huge fucking news (and a ton of work)
>>
>>337788403
>It's also funny because Duke Nukem is just as sexist on men as it is on women

How the fuck is Duke sexist. Tipping strippers doesn't mean you think men are inherently superior to women, or that you hate them
>>
>>337788162
SS2 was still very fun as a game.
>>
>>337788493
Especially how giving (((SEX WORKERS))) tips is appreciating their life choices.
>>
>>337788493
Duke being sexist is part of the joke. I don't know if sexism is the right word to use here, but most of the levels seem to revolve around tna.

My point is that if the game content is sexist towards women, then so is Duke Nukem the character itself sexist towards men. So if some critics complain about tits and ass being sexist without even considering Douk as sexist stereotype of men, the critics are the sexist ones here.
>>
>>337788749
>most of the levels seem to revolve around tna.

I guess you never played the game. A small-ish minority of levels have strippers (or anything sexual) in them

>My point is that if the game content is sexist towards women, then so is Duke Nukem the character itself sexist towards men.

The problem is, neither of these are true
>>
>>337788749

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't sexism when you discriminate everyone based on their gender?

But I believe the word you're looking for is that Duke is a Womanizer. He doesn't hate women or anything like that, otherwise he wouldn't be going outta his way trying to save him. He's kinda like James Bond, just without the chivalry. Or how I see it at least.
>>
>>337788960

>discriminate everyone based on their gender?

Sorry, I meant *Discriminate against someone*
>>
File: 1463378007409.jpg (204 KB, 620x390) Image search: [Google]
1463378007409.jpg
204 KB, 620x390
>>337788336
>>
There was a project to remake Duke 3D in Unreal 3, but it was scrapped.
>>
>>337788330
That "remake" was complete bullshit, too.
The guy who founded Interceptor simply slapped together a small map that looked like the main street of Hollywood Holocaust and the three pictures he showed was all there ever was to show. It wasn't even the whole level.
>>
>>337789231
I don't think that's quite right, weren't they under NDA from Gearbox not to show anything after they officially signed up?
>>
Just finished ep3 of DN3D, bretty good but still nowhere the first one
>>
>>337771225
i think DNF was good
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.