[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oldfags of /v/, what was the first indie game that became a breakout
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: Super Meat Boy.jpg (27 KB, 661x382) Image search: [Google]
Super Meat Boy.jpg
27 KB, 661x382
Oldfags of /v/, what was the first indie game that became a breakout success on the PC, gaining mainstream attention and allowing others to follow in its footsteps?

I know it wasn't super meat boy, but that's the first i remember becoming a mainstream hit.
>>
Braid is usually cited as the beginning of the indie boom, but that took a while to come to PC. XBLA was actually what fostered indies in the beginning.
>>
>>337720384
ah that's interesting, so we really have Xbox to blame for the current indie retro pixel boom?
>>
Cave Story
>>
>>337721987
That predates the current boom.
>>
>>337720206
>I love the indie scene
>>337721892
>FUCKING INDIE GAMES GO FIGURE XBOX FOSTERED THEM

XBLA definitely started the huge influx of indie games, and it's crazy how big it became. We went from barebone games like VVVVVV to games like Enter the Gundeon
>>
>>337722141
And it shitstomps all of the garbage that's come out since.
>>
>>337722659
Okay?
>>
>>337722141
Not only that, Cave Story has never been more than a cult hit. Ask 10 random people on the street about it and i guarantee you they haven't heard of it.
>>
>>337722659
No I can say it's overrated.
>>
>>337722740

Normies on the street haven't heard of anything outside of the three most popular series. You could ask a hundred people on the street what ANY indie game was and nobody would be able to answer. I would agree Braid was what led to the indie craze, but it was Cave Story that paved the way for Braid in the first place.
>>
>>337723939
I think you underrated how popular video games are in the general public.

Especially with people like Pewdiepie who can play obscure games and still get 10 million viewers.

Braid and World of Goo had crossover success around the same time, def would say they had more influence.
>>
>>337722141
well it would have to to start it
>>
>>337722740
Normies only know Minecraft and Furious Fowl
>>
File: download.jpg (19 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
19 KB, 256x192
>>337720206
>>
>>337725105
>doom
>indie

(You)
>>
weren't LucasArts an independent company?
>>
>>337720206
One of the early ones that I recognize are World of Goo.
>>
>>337720206
audiosurf
>>
>>337720206
Braid was the first mainstream success of the modern indie batch (if you don't count actual good "indie" games from the 70s to 90s)
>>
>>337728816
>Braid
>big success

No. Just.....no.
>>
>>337726424
>Super Meat Boy published by Microsoft
>indie
>Doom published by a bunch of noname nerds
>not indie
ok
>>
Half Life 2 was the furst Indie scucess. It was made and published by Valve
>>
>>337731083
how de fuck is valve considered indie.
>>
>>337733003
Because it's developed independent of an external publisher.

Obviously it's not what people use the term 'indie' for, but it's technically correct.
>>
>>337733003
do you understand what indie means?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.