[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>silver hair >black and red outfit >half demon half
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8
>silver hair
>black and red outfit
>half demon half human
>lolsorandumb personality but TOTALLY STRONG AND THE CHOSEN ONE
>fights with a demonic sword passed down by his murdered father and twin pistols
>has a fucking katana

is this the most cringeworthy, edgy fanfic tier protag in all of vidya? no nevermind that would be his reboot version.
>>
Dante is literally me

Stay jelly
>>
>>337614820
He has never been a chosen one, other than "i chose dante to use as the core to my statue"
>>
>>337615152
You say this even though "THE FATE OF MANKIND AND THE FUTURE OF DEMONS LIE ON YOUR GENERIC EDGELORD WEEBSHIT SHOULDERS DONTE" has been a plot point since DMC1.
>>
>>337614820
>silver hair
I don't need anything else. Perfect character design.
>>
>>337615627
You must be at least 18 years old to use this website.
>>
he is a over the top character with a carefree personality, it always works in fiction. And his character is almost 2 decades old, and buzzwords weren't around much
>>
>THE CHOSEN ONE

Stopped reading there.
>>
You aren't meant to take him seriously.
>>
I think devil is a pretty cool guy. eh kills deomns and doesnt afraid of anythign
>>
>>337614820
>>lolsorandumb personality but TOTALLY STRONG AND THE CHOSEN ONE
Wrong on both accounts. Dante has never been 'LOLSORANDOM' and you'd be stupid if you actually thought so. He is literally your average badass, quipping 80's/90's/00's action hero filtered through a Japanese lens, with some anime tropes thrown in here and there. Think Blade if he were created by Japs and you'd have Dante.

Also Dante has never been any kind of chosen one. He is one of the most powerful, if not THE most powerful person in the DMC universe after DMC1, but never any kind of chosen one. Dude just happens to be the half-demon offspring of one of the most powerful demons ever.
>>
The common response is that "oh man, Dante's just a jokester man, it's not serious, it's all self-aware"!

This is pretty dubious. There are plenty of times the game does its traditionally Japanese, "Dante is so cool and witty" bullshit without a hint of irony.

This is why I always thought the people complaining about Dante changing to Donte were goofs. Shit went from "Mary Sue 101" to "Edgelord 101". Big deal, they both blew ass
>>
File: FUCKYOU.jpg (51 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
FUCKYOU.jpg
51 KB, 1280x720
Agreed OP.
Now pic related is an actually cool.
>>
>>337616454
>There are plenty of times the game does its traditionally Japanese, "Dante is so cool and witty" bullshit without a hint of irony.
So what's wrong with that? Dante has to be goofy 100% of the time? What about other characters like Deadpool, who even he has serious moments from time to time? A character, for all the power that Dante has, can't ever display his strength and skill in an impressive way?

That's just writing 101 dude. Even something like Watchmen, which was a deconstruction of superheroes and showed how unhinged and abnormal anyone dressing up in fancy costumes to fight crime seriously would have to be, had a few scenes where the characters were legitimately badass. What's wrong with that?
>>
no matter how hard you try dante will always be top tier husbando material
>>
>>337616756
The game executes it in a way that appeals to adolescents. It's shit I subjectively do not value.

This problem is enormously compounded by the generic anime-tier absurdity of the plot, delivered with all the seriousness of a period drama. Any time the game might be presenting Dante in a goofy manner is called into question. If the writers thought this narrative bullshit was actually serious business, then what's to say the equally absurd action scenes were as tongue in cheek and self-aware as you originally assumed? What if everyone "goofy" moment featuring Dante is actually an earnest attempt by the developers to make you think "gosh, he sure is cool"?

DMC is standard anime lamewad bullshit, with deep gameplay attached
>>
Unlike all other mary sue characters Dante is actually likable, also he is only a mary sue in cutscenes, in actual gameplay he can get fucked up if you suck.
>>
>>337617087
ITP: [thing] can't be tongue-in-cheek most of the time but have serious moments here and there.

Because NOTHING has ever done anything like that or anything.

>What if everyone "goofy" moment featuring Dante is actually an earnest attempt by the developers to make you think "gosh, he sure is cool"?
Why couldn't the purpose of those scenes be to do both? Think Deadpool, Spider-Man, or Mikey from TMNT. He's clearly a character who's meant to be a little humorous, snarky, and over-the-top while also being capable of badass feats. There's nothing unique about that.
>>
>>337617087
>with deep gameplay attached
No it's mediocre even in that regard
>>
>>337617793
>No it's mediocre even in that regard
Kek, buttmad NG/Arkhamfag detected.
>>
>>337617087
>The game executes it in a way that appeals to adolescents.
Its almost like thats the target audience you dumb fuck
>>
>>337617902
>muh reading comprehension

>why don't you like it
>i'm not in the target audience
>IT'S THAT WAY ON PURPOSE YOU STUPID FUCK
>i know
>>
>>337617859
Are you a child?
>>
>>337617638
My point is that people say this character isn't shit because the game is self-aware that it's enormously cheesy, which is pretty doubtful, considering it treats the absurd anime nonsense of its plot with earnest gravity
>>
File: dante and ammy eat some pizza.jpg (451 KB, 1280x917) Image search: [Google]
dante and ammy eat some pizza.jpg
451 KB, 1280x917
>>337614820
He's a bunch of Japanese dudes making a character that's supposed to be "American cool". That's why he's so goofy yet anime, I enjoy it
>>
>>337618167
No, I've been playing DMC since the first game. are you?

>>337618260
Again, why can't the character be tongue-in-cheek but also have serious moments? Why can't that also apply for the series as a whole? Why can't you watch the cutscenes and think, "Wow that's cool!" while also thinking, "Wow, that's kind of dumb." Because that's exactly what the series is going for.

It's like Die Hard or the Fast and the Furious or something. At the end of the day, it's lighthearted fun.
>>
>>337618661
>Again, why can't the character be tongue-in-cheek but also have serious moments?

Jeez breh, re-read my post.
>>
>>337614820
It actually sounds awesome, OP.

brb playing dmc4 again
>>
>>337618661
>>337618778
>I should of been the one to fill your soul with liiiiiight!
>>
>>337618918
this is the epitome of why the cheese is 2dank in dmc
>>
>>337614820

That's the point.

He takes all the faggy edgy shit and makes it hilarious. The most popular DMC games are the ones where Dante is fun - 3>1>4>>>2.
>>
>>337619106
No he doesn't senpai, he plays it straight as fuck
>>
>>337618778
And yet if you watch a lot of the cutscenes in 3 and 4, it's pretty obvious that shit is meant to be ridiculous.

Like:
>Dante surfing on a missile before jumping off, with the missile exploding behind him in a cinematic manner
>Dante riding up the Temen-Ni-Guru with on a motorbike before posing with its handlebar in a ridiculous manner
>Dante fighting off a bunch of demons in his shop while he eats pizza
>basically ANYTHING that comes out of Dante's mouth 95% of the time

It knows what it is and what it's trying to be: stupid, over-the-top fun. And what's wrong with that or having actual drama, like the two are mutually exclusive?
>>
>>337619182
It is hard to reconcile this anime-level absurdity as being self-aware with the po-faced nonsense found elsewhere in the narrative. If it was so self-aware, why is the equally absurd and cheesy plot played so straight?
>>
>>337619448
Because absurdity needs to be played straight.
>>
>>337619448
.....Can we just not allow white people to talk about vidya?
>>
>>337619181

That's why it's funny. Fucking hell man,learn that it doesn't all have to be over the top slapstick shit all the time.
>>
>>337619448
>It is hard to reconcile this anime-level absurdity as being self-aware with the po-faced nonsense found elsewhere in the narrative. If it was so self-aware, why is the equally absurd and cheesy plot played so straight?
Who says the drama is meant to be taken so seriously? I never got a sense that all the actual drama was supposed to be on the level of some pretentious film and it knows it. It's like a toku show, where it knows it's just cheesy fun all the way through, even up to the character drama, where you just genuinely enjoy seeing the characters interact with one another, each one hammier than the last.

I always felt like there was a hint of self-awareness there. Yeah sometimes it may sound like the characters are serious, like Vergil, but you can tell they constructed him to be the ultimate archetypal anime rival and that shows in his dialogue, the way he acts, the way the story plays out, etc. There's nothing there that suggests the developers didn't know what they were doing with that.
>>
>>337614820
he's hot
>>
>>337614820
are you still angry over that death battle, my autistic bayofriend?
>>
>>337619448

If you want the best example of DOING IT WRONG just look at dmc reeboot Virgil.
Holy shit their heads couldn't be more up their own ass.
>>
>>337619448
>it's not serious enough, I don't like it!
>it's too over the top!
Anon, the issue here is you.
>>
>>337614820
(you)
>>
>>337614981
Go fuck yourself, Nero, you angsty cunt.
>>
File: 1405279416857.png (408 KB, 1146x685) Image search: [Google]
1405279416857.png
408 KB, 1146x685
Dante is just broken man. You can't hate this type of guy.
>>
>>337620069
I will be until they get it right or dmcucks admit defeat.
>>
>>337622547
i'm feeling it m8, i'm fucking feeling it
>>
>>337614820
That's not his katana you dumb nerd
>>
>>337623789
Oh my mistake it'st he katana that belongs to his dark and aloof evil twin brother who hates humanity and wants to achieve ultimate power but secretly has a soft spot for his loved ones. Also an original and unique character design.
>>
>>337623673
>He's still crying cos girl-dante lost to regular dante
>>
>>337624061
Nope, the creator of both said Bayo would win, so Bayo wins.
>dmcucks are so autistic that they have to create shitty fanfic flash videos to soothe their buthurt
No matter what you do, in canon Dante gets his faggot twink ass reamed into oblivion by Bayo.
>>
The real difference is Dante accepts what he is, revels in it even. The usual edgelord/super cool guy please love me protag is constantly trying to be anything else than himself
>>
>>337623919
Tameem it's time to stop shitposting on 4chan
>>
>>337624347
What the fuck are you on about? I hate DmC just as much as I do the old series. It's all shit. DmC is even worse.
>>
>>337623919
> who is even more over the top cool and makes it look good without looking edgy character done right

sure mate
>>
>>337619448
Just because the plot is played straight doesn't mean the individual characters need to always act that way or individual scenes be played out similarly.
>>
>>337624495
>virgil is so kewl he slices the air with his demonic katana and makes swords out of DARK ENERGY and is all hmph nothin personnel whenever he kills the shit out of people and slicks his hair back
are you 12 or just 12 mentally? do you watch naruto?
>>
>people hate fun now

I'd much rather him than le short black haired everyman characters
>>
>WAAAAAHHHH FANFICTIONS ARE SIMILAR TO DMC

If you retarded children had any sense of history, you would know that he is the reason why fanfics, known for their inherently shitty writing regardless of tropes/archetypes, do this shit in the first place. A Jap game plays it off as over-the-top insanity, a Weeaboo sees it as an example of what is admirable/awesome.
>>
>>337624672
You can describe anything like that and make it sound dumb.

>not being motivated
>>
>>337614820
DMC1 Dante was fucking great
DMC2 was cringeworthy as fuck
>>
>>337624742
>MUH FUN
nice buzzword faggot. monkeys think flinging shit at each other is fun, but even that has more depth than dmc. sorry but you can't defend everything with "MUH FUN."
>>
File: 1R7XXkJ.png (57 KB, 625x656) Image search: [Google]
1R7XXkJ.png
57 KB, 625x656
>>337615253
>>337614820
2/10 b8 try harder reddit
>>
He's not edgy. Vergil is pretty edgy though. But if you don't get motivated, you're still a faggot.
>>
File: zoot.jpg (173 KB, 1480x1080) Image search: [Google]
zoot.jpg
173 KB, 1480x1080
>>337614981
How does this look remotely like Dante?
>>
>>337624204
Kamiya has no control over how strong Dante is outside of the original version(DMC1) and he can't dictate who wins in a fight because Dante became much different after he left.

Powerlevel bullshit is only slightly worse than console war faggotry
>>
>>337614820
He doesn't even use Yamato as his primary weapon.
>>
>>337624204
Kamiya's Dante might as well be retconned at this point,
>>
File: bruce-campbell-2015.jpg (21 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
bruce-campbell-2015.jpg
21 KB, 400x400
>looking for meaning and seriousness in fiction
>not realizing that the B-movie, an exaggeration and parody of reality, is the only worthwhile form of entertainment
>>
>>337625072

you're an idiot. you''ve somehow convinced yourself that the most important aspect of a game which probably has less than an hour worth of cutscenes is the "story", when rather the story is simply a framework for the gameplay.

i'm sure you've never read Joyce or any sort of high brow literature in your life, otherwise you'd know that video games don't tend to have any sort of depth whatsoever. working within the lens of video game writing being irredeemable dog shit, it's advised to simply make the best of it and enjoy a bit of self aware absurdity, because something that tries to be meaningless and succeeds is better than something that tries to be meaningful and fails.
>>
File: 1446299266227.jpg (209 KB, 756x1100) Image search: [Google]
1446299266227.jpg
209 KB, 756x1100
>>337614820
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.