[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Judging by games/consoles that used one of those two 8bit CPUs,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 8bit cpus.jpg (70 KB, 584x583) Image search: [Google]
8bit cpus.jpg
70 KB, 584x583
Judging by games/consoles that used one of those two 8bit CPUs, which one is better?

Also 8080/6800 fags are not welcome and truxton is not an argument.
>>
>>337543707
I like how the Z80 was used as an audio chip when it got too outdated to be the main processor.
>>
>>337544635
This kinda happened to the 6502 as well, but only on the snes.
the SPC700 sound computer actually used a souped up version to control the sampler thing, and could actually do some things the main CPU could not.
>>
>>337544967
Such as?
>>
>>337544635
Z80 was also a processor for backgrounds and other shit in the Genesis, but also key to master system backwards compatibility. Too bad you just don't see that kind of shit anymore, and Wii U will probably be last console to ever have true BC
>>
>>337543707
>truxton is not an argument

Fuck off, Derek.
>>
>>337545104
The NX still has a chance to have backwards compatibility. Provided we know what the hell it actually is. And going forward, all current gen games are going to work with their successor consoles thanks to UWP and etc.

Still there won't be any additional processors or other misc. chips in future hardware. For the best, really.
>>
>>337545026
Multiplication and division.
The main snes cpu "can" do that by using the PPU multiply register things, but it don't have a mul or div instructions.
>>
>>337545498
Huh I never heard that one before, thanks for that.
>>
>>337545723
It's not exactly common knowledge, so i got quite surprised to find out about that as well.

Here's sauce, that shows it can into modulo as well:

http://wiki.superfamicom.org/snes/show/SPC700+Reference
>>
>>337546338
>8-bit SPC700, runs at ~1Mhz …with the effective speed being half (each instruction takes a minimum of 2 cycles)
>Main/Echo volume! 8-bit signed values. Regular sound is scaled by the main volume. Echoed sound is scaled by the echo volume.

This is an excellent source of information, thank you! Fraid I don't have much to give in return, sorry.
>>
>>337546684
Just have fun.
>>
>>337546847
Thanks, mate.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.