[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's be honest. Do you want cartridges to go back to console
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: giphy.gif (3 MB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
3 MB, 500x333
Let's be honest.

Do you want cartridges to go back to console gaming?

40 year old nes cartridges still work fine.
1 year old disc shit don't.

deal with it.
>>
no, because digital distribution, harddrives and SSD's exist and im not a retarded manchild
>>
>>337499894

>He doesn't understand how cartridges save data or chip decay

There's no reason to use anything but digital distribution unless you have an empty shelf to fill
>>
>>337501287
And, you know, actual ownership of a physical item. You might not own the data on the disc but you own the disc. Digital distribution with DRM gives all the control to the provider, fuck that.
>>
>>337499894
with today prices, it will probably double the price of videogames.
>>
>>337501475

That's a needlessly paranoid point of view. Digital Distribution Services make a lot less money if they restrict your access to the games they're providing, I'm not worried about ownership. I don't see any reason why steam would fuck me over unless I'm thinking like a hick
>>
>>337501916
You'd be amazed at how easily you can get fucked over when it comes to digital games.
>>
my ps1 discs from 1996 still work fine.
>>
>>337501994

Alright give me some examples. Come on, back that up. I've never had an issue with Steam or GOG, let me see how it could come back to bite me.
>>
I want physical copies in general to make a comeback. I like collecting games as much as playing them.
>>
>>337499894
>1 year old disc shit don't.
Yeah, no.
I have 20 year old CDs that still work without any problem.
>>
>>337499894
Cartridges are too expensive compared to discs. There's no point to cartridges when games these days play from 500mb/s SSDs and flash drives.
>>
>>337501916
Digital is susceptible to fuck ups or identity theft that can lose your games or the registrations that allow you to play your games, and it can be near impossible to recover as companies actively fight you to deter potential pirates or just get stalled behind bureaucracy.
This isn't much worse than having your physical copies break/lost/stolen, but it is an extra degree outside your control.
The real problem is longevity. Both physical and digital have this problem. Physical media decays over time and can reach a point where it becomes unusable. With digital media it depends on the whims or longevity of the supplying company. A company may decide to change the distribution service and force users to repurchase content or the company could go under and the service be cut off completely.
Both physical and digital wont last forever and the survivability of the content is outside your control, but at least physical decays at a relatively constant rate so you can estimate when your content is dead, digital can't be predicted.
>>
>>337504139

>Susceptible to ______
I'll repeat again, these are actively bad for business and I don't see any real life examples of this happening. Are you citing a real event or making up what you assume all games distribution is run by evil corporate stereotypes?

GOG has amazing customer service. Steam let me move all the games over from one account because I forgot the password, I just had to prove I owned both accounts. I don't think you're spooky paranoia tales have much base in reality but I'm open to hearing a real example.

As for your second point, right now digital distribution is hands down the cheapest way to distribute games, and with an increasingly web-based market I only see it becoming more popular, then being supplanted by something else. In the same way Netflix filled the gap movie rental left behind with a much better, cheaper service, something will evolve after digital distribution becomes the second most economic option.

Physical copies may always float around but I guarantee you'll be buying games online for as long as the internet sticks around because its a better distribution method.
>>
>>337505035

Pardon the spelling and grammar in this post, my phone fucks me if I try to type a paragraph
>>
File: 1425696138100.gif (125 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
1425696138100.gif
125 KB, 500x365
>tfw you threw out the boxes and manuals that came with cartridges
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.