[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Comfy horror games thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 9
What was the last horror game you played or one that you're playing at the moment? Did you like it? and which horror game do you want to play next? discuss horror vidya.

In my case i'm currently i'm playing the very first Resident Evil with PCSXR. having a pretty good time with it but

>chose Chris without knowing it makes the game harder

seriously, dealing with a mere 6 inventory slots is a huge pain in the ass. and also

>killed every single zombie I came across without knowing about hunters

no regrets there desu, still killing them
>>
>>337461310
Last one was Condemned.
replayed it after many years. Still neat, but kinda uneven.

Chris btw is almost an easy mode, as he can take more damage. You only got to deal with the small keys and few other things.
Kinda surprised you didn't start with REmake.
>>
>>337461310
>Comfy horror

You have already erred.
>>
File: VIDEO GAMES.gif (1 MB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
VIDEO GAMES.gif
1 MB, 1024x1024
>COMFY HORROR GAMES
I STILL DON'T GET IT
>>
>>337462576
Oh man, I played Condemned on a halloween night 2 years ago. I still remember it, good memories

I just don't like going back and forth too much just for like 1-2 items, especially when there's the asshole frogs just waiting in the areas. And yeah, when I start a series I tend to start at the very first one
>>
File: 1462730904032.jpg (27 KB, 392x475) Image search: [Google]
1462730904032.jpg
27 KB, 392x475
>comfy horror
>>
File: 1462714810880.jpg (140 KB, 420x360) Image search: [Google]
1462714810880.jpg
140 KB, 420x360
>>337462641
>>337462739
>>337463512
>>
>>337462576
>Chris btw is almost an easy mode,
Jill gets an early shotgun, grenade launcher, more inventory spaces, and can skip a boss via a puzzle.

Chris needs the extra health due to only 6 inventory spaces.
>>
File: SH PC Guide - Jan 2016.png (2 MB, 1300x3453) Image search: [Google]
SH PC Guide - Jan 2016.png
2 MB, 1300x3453
>>337463426
I'd recommend only carrying a shotgun + ammo after the Hunters start appearing. Maybe a Magnum fully loaded as a backup, but no ammo for it. This way, you can take care of just about anything you face, and still have 3 item slots to use effectively.

>when I start a series I tend to start at the very first one
That is a healthy attitude. And sure, starting with THE RE1 is not a bad idea, but so many people these days tend to both recommend and do start with the REmake version, which is all around bigger, prettier, and arguably better. Then again, by playing OG first, you get to do this awesome comparison between the two later on, and the game gets to surprise you better as well.

On a related note, in case you or someone else lurking the thread hasn't played the superb, original Silent Hill games, you can experience them on PC. Here's the SH PC Guide pic, and the DL links :

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" fix works as a no-cd crack as well, and is included in the pack.

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.

Protips: Never play below Normal difficulties. Always adjust the in-game Brightness down. Don't fight everything; just run / turn off the lamp and sneak!
>>
>>337464749
Oh neat, thanks for the post. After finishing Fatal Frame 1 & 2 i've definitely taken a liking to these types of games. SH has been on my to-play list for a while

I was gonna simply emulate SH series but as it seems there are better ways to enjoy them. Thanks again for the guide
>>
>>337465681
NP broski.
Sure, emulation is an option, but the PS2 emu requires A LOT more from your PC.
Meanwhile, even the literal wormbox toasters made in the past 6 years could easily run these ~15 year old DX8 ports. In 4k at that!

While at it, here's the recommended emulator settings for SH1. Works great on all other games too. These settings fix many of the common visual glitches in SH, like the "white boxes" or "white blood" effects, and the kinda odd problem of the MC's flashlight disappearing.

The plugins used are:
-Pete's OpenGL 1.78; (more options & better performance than 2.x version)
-Eternal's SPU Engine.

You can quite well replicate these settings on Pete's OGL 2 plugins too, but expect a bit worse performance. Also no color-dithering available on it either.

Alternatively, just use a software renderer for very 1:1 PS1-like graphics, including 240p only.
...OR just buy the game from PSN Store for few bucks.
>>
>>337461310
not a horror game but the nexus in demons souls is pretty comfy.

i got kuon and will play when i have time.
>>
>>337466041
PS1 emulation is a bit clunky for me but i'll try those settings for it (i've been using the pete's 2.9 one)

PCSX2 has been working really damn well though. That said, there's no reason to emulate when there's ports
>>
File: Pure_Bladestone.png (126 KB, 300x455) Image search: [Google]
Pure_Bladestone.png
126 KB, 300x455
>>337466853
trigger warning
>>
>>337467334
I've personally used settings comparable to those posted for almost a decade now, and it's been smooth ride so far. Still, don't be surprised if you experience some lag, as most emulators do emulate the original systems to the bone, so if there was framerate drops on the OG system, there's probably similar drops on emus as well.

The PC ports are all around great. The SH2 port requires that simple fix to run smooth on modern systems, but it's literally a matter of dragging & dropping couple files to the game's folder, and maybe adjusting a single text file for preferred resolution. There's also couple very minor visual glitches on the PC port of #2, but nothing that would ruin the whole experience.

Pic very related; it's hard to believe this to be a 15yo PS2 title at times.
>>
>>337461310
I last played RE1 a couple of months ago to celebrate its 20th anniversary. I played advanced/arrange mode with Jill and it started out well enough, but got pretty hard once the Hunters started showing up.
>>
>>337461310
I honestly thought it was easier as Chris. Mofo blew everything away easily. Then again I already did Jill first so I had an idea of what to do/where to go.
>>
Might have to go through condemned again.

Any decent horror games coming out soon?
>>
File: 2016-02-26_00007.jpg (313 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-26_00007.jpg
313 KB, 1920x1080
>>337461310
Last horror game I played was Dead Space 3, and while it was a pretty okay game it wasn't really that scary, apart from maybe the sections with the regenerator.

Even that was kind of nullified because I had a guy with me in co-op and we were just stomping on the regenerator for fun; pretty much killed the tension I'd be feeling if I were playing solo.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.