[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Demon's Soul was the best and all of you Dark Souls newfags
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 225
Thread images: 20
File: latest.jpg (508 KB, 1923x1080) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
508 KB, 1923x1080
Demon's Soul was the best and all of you Dark Souls newfags can suck Garl Vinland's cock.

DeS > DaS > DaS 3 > BB > DaS 2
>>
File: 1389656592337.jpg (33 KB, 473x477) Image search: [Google]
1389656592337.jpg
33 KB, 473x477
>DaS was his first Souls
>he wasn't here when it all started
>he wasn't here when the best Souls threads happened
How does it feel?
>>
>>337455702
Seems anout right. My fondest memories are with Das but des is superb with consistent quality.
I just wish it were longer. Looking at you giant arch stone.
>>
Except DeS is the worst for one reason
>not interconnected like DaSI, III, or Bloodborne
>>
IS NOT ON PEEEEESEAAAAA NOOOOOOOOOOOO STOPPP ITS UNFAIIIRRRR
>>
nah dark souls forever faggot

des is literally dark souls beta

>that broken everything that was never patched
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 425x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 425x960
>he ranks DaS above 3 and BB
>he doesn't know they are functionally identical to DeS
>outing yourself are a simple shitposter in the OP

great thread
>>
>>337456485
Kys worthless trash
>>
>>337455702
Des>DaS=BB>>>>>>>DaS3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DaS2
Demon's Souls is the best by far, only retards say otherwise.
>>
>>337456567
truth hurts, huh faggot
>>
>>337456417
Are you ok?
>>
I love DeS but it's one of those games that I played through twice and probably won't touch for another few years

Nearly all the weapons are boring to use, and you can't get all the good shit till relatively late in the game.
>>
I played Dark Souls 2 first, beat Dark Souls 1 first, and only recently played Demon's Souls, before playing Dark Souls 3

man, Demon's Souls is probably my favorite of the lot. its just got far more meticulous effort put into it.

>those smooth as fuck gesture animations
>you actually pull stormruler out of a pillar like the fucking sword in the stone and not just find it as a generic loot item on a corpse
>same for the moonlight greatsword
>everything is far simpler without the needless convolution 1 2 and 3 brought
>it doesnt focus on MUH LORE and just allows itself to be a fantasy videogame that has themed areas with bosses that fit the area and arent dependent on lore- who the fuck is old hero? who knows, but who cares. hes an old hero. all you need to know

i just fucking dig it better than even DaS1.

also,
>there is an actual explanation for why your character radiates light- its because theres literally a lantern at your side
>theres literally a lore reason for fog gates, explained in the very intro

>NONE of the following games ever explain either of those 2

though to be fair, at least bloodborne brought back the small lantern and reduced your base light giveoff
>>
>>337456768
buttmad xbox fags and people who got late on the bandwagon say it.

>dat Boletarian atmosphere
>dem Lovecraftian vibes
>No fucking bonfires and shit
>Pure dungeon crawling experience
>Dearest Astraea... I have failed you...

how can dasfags even compete.
>>
>>337455702
>tfw only played DeS
Feels good.
>>
>>337457045
and still DeS lore was far more powerful and fascinating than what came afterwards.

>Land of the Giants broken archstone that's not just a future DLC bullshit
>>
I just finished ds1 and started ds2 and I gotta say the whole theme of the game seems to be "remember how ds1 was hard and was also quite vague? Well this time it's harder and vaguer!" (the first cutscene basically days that outright).
The devs for some reason thought it'd be a good idea to play a trap or an ambush every 30 seconds thinking that wouldn't get tedious somehow. I don't even know what my argument is, I just know I'm mad that this game isn't as good as ds1
>>
>>337457290
>tfw no DeS PS4 rerelease with Giants Archstone DLC
>>
>>337457426
> "remember how ds1 was hard and was also quite vague? Well this time it's harder and vaguer!"

just wait till you get to 3. 3 is literally "hey remember this cool thing from [Demon's Souls/Dark Souls 1/2] well we brought it back! hey dont you like these cool callbacks?"

and DaS1 was vague because it didnt explain much and left a lot to the player's imagination. 3 tells way too much, and is way too concerned with the lore, to the extent that you have little to no boss variety because they all have to be "lords of cinder" with fire attacks
>>
>>337457426
DaS3 is going to make you prefer 2. At least 2 tries to be somewhat original, and tries to somewhat build on DaS1's ideas
>>
>>337457612
My friends have hyped up 3 so much, is it at least a step up from 2?
>>
>>337457709
>>337457776
Apparently not, oh dear.
>>
>>337457776
Not the guy you're responding to, but I think it ultimately is the better game. 3 is short and a bit too iterative but it feels more well designed compared to 2.
>>
>>337457776
Level design and boss fights are better but I really miss DaS2 combat and balance.
>>
File: 1447341871462.png (7 KB, 465x369) Image search: [Google]
1447341871462.png
7 KB, 465x369
>>337455702
>play DeS
>hype as fuck for DaS since everyone praises it highly
>play DaS
>extremely disappointed
guess I need to git gud xDD
>>
Souls ranking time (I havnt played 2)

> Gameplay (EG how it feels to move around and fight stuff)
BB>Das3>DeS>DaS

> Level Design (individual areas)
BB>DeS>DaS1>DaS3

> World Design (how the entire game world is designed)
DaS1>BB>DaS3>DeS

> Bosses
BB>DaS3>DaS1>DeS

> Atmosphere
BB>DeS>DaS1>DaS3

> Story/Lore
BB>DeS>DaS1>DaS3

> Community (in thier prime)
DeS>DaS1 (regular version)> BB>DaS1 (PTDE) > DaS3

Sound Track
DeS>BB>DaS3>DaS1
> Personal Favourite Ranking
BB>DeS>DaS1>DaS3
>>
>>337456274
They both have their strengths and weaknesses. Separated worlds cuts out all the filler and let's them focus on creating a quality, hand crafted level without having to worry about where to place it and how it connects to another area.
>>
>>337457776
in some ways- yes.

in other ways- its a step down.

combat is closer to DaS1.
but enemies are twice as aggressive as Bloodborne enemies, and there's no poise, so anything other than longswords or katanas are making the game needlessly hard on yourself.

theres some neat miracles/spells

but both are generally garbage in PvE and PvP, making it extremely hard to make a build exclusively to those

there's a hub like the nexus, completely disconnected from the main game world-

bonfire warping is back, and the world design is linear with branching paths, making it extremely linear to play.

bosses are almost all big dudes in armor, and half of them are fire based dudes because lol lords of cinder

theres retcons abound-

almost everything is a reference to Dark Souls 1 or Demon's Souls.

PvP is the worst in the series, since invasions will almost always result in a ganksquad, and they will almost invariably be using either a katana, an estoc, or a darksword, all of which are cancerous

game looks good, definitely better than 2- but it lacks environmental variety and is all sort of sepia-washed. gone are the colorful areas of DaS1, like the greens and blues of darkroot, and the greys and greens of undead burg, iunto the oranges and yellows of sen's, to the sunny yellows and whites of anor londo-

everything feels sepia or grey. theres a few areas that are nice and have color, but they are few.

and almost everything is some variation of cathedral or castle/dungeon environment with little variation aside from a few areas.

its a step up in many ways, but as a whole, DaS2 is better, despite its massive flaws. At least 2 was mostly original, even if it did the whole reincarnated lordsouls thing
>>
>>337457290
The only reason it wasn't DLC was because DLC wasn't common practice back then, especially on consoles, and even more especially since the game was considered shit by Sony and accepted it was going to flop so bad they didn't bother releasing it in the west.

It's not closed off for lore reasons, it was just not finished and they were too late to redo the monumentals cutscene and dialouge.
>>
>tfw https://youtu.be/9piElENpvmM
>>
>>337458026
> play DaS
> like the atmosphere, levelling, and weapon variety
> combat is weird and clunky, controls are awkward at first
> get past Undeadburg and quit because the game feels off
> play Demon's Souls a few years later
> better combat, atmosphere, actual story/lore to follow if you're into that sort of thing
> never touch another DaS, just keep playing DeS

Feels good man, but to each his own.
>>
>>337457776
It's fun. Just don't expect to see anything good from DaS2 in DaS3 like twinblades, power stance, poise, viable fists, better balance in general, etc.
Expect good level design though
>>
>>337458149
Switch DaS3 and BB under bosses and DeS and BB under Atmosphere and you pretty much have my vote senpai.

Though, I'm not much for the time period of BB, so that's why I usually end up shoving it down lower than it probably deserves. If it didn't have LoveCraftian elements in its story/lore I'd honestly probably dislike it to a degree.
>>
>>337458004
>>337457962
Hmm so it improves on a few things I'm salty about at least, I'm really not okay with the level design in this, the gutter was fucking horrible to navigate.

>>337458438
I will miss the colour, darkroot was one of my favourite areas just because of how different it was. It's a shame about the linearity because exploring in ds1 was great, shame they punish it so much in 2.
I'm not too bothered about the miracles spells being bad because I haven't actually used one yet, I should probably test a few out.
>>
>>337458438
the enemies definitely aren't twice as agressive in bb, the only true bb enemies were the skeletons in carthus. I'm also pretty sure all the bosses aren't big dudes in armor
>>
>all this DeS circlejerk
>all this pretending they were actually here when it came out
>all this pretending it still holds up
>all this pretending Bloodborne isn't actually the best of the bunch
>>
>>337459380
>i'm a newfag
>o-others must be too

get lost in the old one's fog, fag
>>
>>337459380
>all this pretending it still holds up
It does though. Nothing about it feels off. Nothing has aged in it. The level design is still tight, the combat is still fun, the voice acting is superb, etc
Nothing is outdated in DeS except arguably graphics but I'd say the art style would be ruined if they were brought up to DaS 3 quality.
>>
>>337458876
Gundyr, Vordt, Dancer, Abyss Watchers, Pontiff, Yhorm, Dragonslayer Armor, 2Prince, Nameless King, final boss.

thats 10 bosses out of 19.

and out of the remaining 9, 3 could still be considered humanoids, 2 if you dont count wolnir. and out of the 19, almost 8 or so have fire attacks.

Abyss Watchers, Yhorm, Aldritch, 2prince, as lords of cinder, are all fire based

then there's Demon king, who is a fire boss, Soul of Cinder is a fire boss, Dancer has fire+Ice, wyvern is obviously fire based since he breathes fire, same for storm king- the first phase of nameless king, deacons lob fire at you, pontiff has a fire sword... I mean there is really no variety.

the only bosses that have NO fire at all, are Crystal Sage, the tree, Vordt, Gundyr, Oceiros and Dragonslayer, although that is arguable, since the pilgrim butterfly seems to use fire attacks. thats 6 bosses out of 19, and only 1, arguably 2 of which are not just humanoids with a weapon
>>
File: tumblr_nwaywxAsSt1uh4jtxo2_250.gif (2 MB, 245x328) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nwaywxAsSt1uh4jtxo2_250.gif
2 MB, 245x328
Anyone who argues with this ranking is just a simple Nostalgiafag and needs not reply to me.

DS2SOTFS > DS3 > DeS > DS1 > BB > DS2
>>
File: 1281880267342.png (92 KB, 478x3595) Image search: [Google]
1281880267342.png
92 KB, 478x3595
>>
DeS for ps4/pc when?
>>
>>337460250
Pc never.
>>
File: JeNPG.png (41 KB, 477x3406) Image search: [Google]
JeNPG.png
41 KB, 477x3406
the good ol' shitposting of yore

we're old brethren
>>
>>337460281
DaS1 is on PC though, don't see why they can't do a remaster or HD version.
>>
>>337460357
DaS1 isnt owned by Sony.
>>
File: ehknr.png (94 KB, 174x1022) Image search: [Google]
ehknr.png
94 KB, 174x1022
>>
>>337460085
>all humanoid bosses are bad
jesus christ stop with this retarded fucking meme already
>>
>>337460403
DeS is?

Well shit then.

I don't think they'll even port to ps4 then.
>>
File: 0FceQ5o.png (49 KB, 477x1313) Image search: [Google]
0FceQ5o.png
49 KB, 477x1313
>INDEED
>>
>>337456552
Holy shit, that's one retarded opinion you have.
>>
File: Demons_421087_5821964.jpg (233 KB, 477x2112) Image search: [Google]
Demons_421087_5821964.jpg
233 KB, 477x2112
hold me brehs
>>
>>337459380
I like BB the least. Its even worse than Ds3
>>
>>337460475
no, but they are when they have no variety.

DaS2's humanoid dudes in armor usually had some variety.

Sentinels were 3 dudes with halberd hammers and captain america shields

Dragonrider was a big slow motherfucker with a halberd and a greatshield.

Fume Knight had 2 swords, a UGS and a longsword, was fire+dark, and in phase 2 used the UGS exclusively.

Velstadt was a corrupted paladin and was neutral element until he used hexes in phase 2, and used a giant bell hammer

pursuer used a big sword and floated around, lunging at you and trying to impale you

DaS2's humanoids had variety. while the majority of DaS3 bosses are humanoids with a fiery sword and not much else for variety. id say of the lot, pontiff and 2prince are the most original, but they are cheapened by the fact that everything else is so similar.
>>
>>337460104
>putting DaS2 last and SotFS first when it's basically the same shit as the vanilla game but with even worse enemy placements
>>
>>337460458
>his eyes bursting out of his head

every time
>>
>>337460518
Demons Souls and Bloodborne were funded by Sony. The rest were funded by Namco
>>
>>337456552
BB is nothing like DeS besides a level up waifu (which DaS2 brought back first) and a Nexus like area. DaS3 is filled with out of place references and is also nothing like DeS in any way.
>>
>>337460847
Shut it Nostalgiafag

Didnt you read your kind is not to reply?
>>
>>337460819
>DaS2's humanoid dudes in armor usually had some variety.
opinion completely and utterly discarded
>>
>>337455702
Swap BB and DeS and you got a list.
>>
>>337460819
What? This is literally the opposite of true. What fucking game did you play? Das2 humanoids had the same attacks
>>
>>337458026
I felt the same way anon.
>>
>>337460992
Is that why Bloodborne is Bloodborne and not Blood Souls or Beast Souls?

Either way it works out for me since I have a ps4 & pc but I don't want to see both DeS and BB stuck on a console platform forever, either.
>>
This humanoid bullshit is stupid
Name a boss from DaS1 that wasnt complete shit that wasnt humanoid.
>>
>>337461064
>nostalgiafag
>when I didn't even say that I liked the older ones better and for all you know BB or DaS3 could be my favourites
Don't ever fucking reply to me again if you don't have anything to contribute to the thread
>>
>>337455702
DeS>DaS>Ds2>Ds3>BB
funny how the series just kept getting worse, Guess its good that Ds3 was the last.
>>
>>337456274
>Dark Souls III
>interconnected
>>
>>337461030
BB does DeS references right.

there's a lantern

there's some eldritch shit about "old ones" and whatnot, but its totally different

the hub works much like the nexus- there's specific headstones for each area, and despite the world being somewhat interconnected, there are checkpoints only at the start of the area, and after the boss, with shortcuts openable to the first checkpoint

honestly i dont know how they fucked up 3 so bad. why do bonfires appear when you kill a boss? just so they can say "lol because Demon's Souls"? like when Dragonslayer drops a bonfire and not even a few steps after in the next room there's the archives bonfire? WHO THE FUCK SAW THAT AND SAID "HMM, YEAH THATS OK"
>>
>>337461253
Kalameet
>>
>>337461103
they did though. more variety than 3 thats for sure. at least they werent all dudes with swords on fire. at the very least the weapons they used were different, and their elemental weaknesses/usage was different, because they were usually neutral element
>>
>>337461438
1 DLC boss out of 26
Worse of a fight then Sinh.
>>
This is all my opinion:

Story/Lore
DeS>DaS>DaS3>BB>DaS2

Game Variety:
DaS2>DaS3>DaS>DeS>BB

Bosses:
DaS3>DaS>BB>DaS2>DeS

Atmosphere:
DeS>DaS3>BB=DaS>DaS2

Area Design:
DaS3>DeS>BB>DaS>DaS2

World Design:
DaS>DaS3>BB>DaS2>DeS

Note that BB would be above DaS3 if not for the lecture building/nightmare areas, I feel that world consistency and world design is dependant on numerous factors including visual satisfaction by way of seeing area to area, and travelling to area by area, interconnected areas are important, but not as much making sure the world isn't nonsensical

>Music

DaS3>DaS>DaS2>BB>DeS

Very subjective, while BB's music was good in terms of production and adding to fights, I didn't enjoy as much because of the large amount of horror-style tropes in the composition, orphan of kos's second theme, ludwig's first theme, blood starved beast and gascoigne are examples of this, all okay for the fight, but they did absolutely nothing for me outside of it. While DeS had a few really good tracks, the majority of it sounded horrendous, storm king theme is a good example of this.

>npc's

DeS>DaS3>DaS>DaS2>BB

>Quality progression:

DaS3>DeS>DaS>BB>DaS2

>PVP

DaS2>DaS3>DaS>DeS>BB

Overall:

DaS3>DaS=>DeS>BB>DaS2
>>
>>337460183
>>337460347
>>337460458
>>337460541
>>337460686
I miss when /v/ used to make awesome mspaint comics about vidya
>>
>>337460819
Vordt is a motherfucking tank dashing at you with a mace while Dancer moves slowly through the air and hits you with swift ballet attacks with two swords ¨

how the hell do these feel too samey to you while Fat Knight with a Halberd and Tall Knight with a Halberd (x3) are apparently completely different?
>>
>>337461253
Gaping Dragon
Kellog
Sif
>>
>>337461253
Sif
Seath
Quelaag
>>
>>337455702
couldn't afford a PS4 huh
>>
>>337461574
now this kind of humor would be considered reddit/9gog tier

we've grown old and bitter
>>
>>337461483
Kellogs was ok too. I never really realized how few non humanoid bosses were in Ds1 though
>>
YOU HAVE A HEART OF GOLD
>>
>>337455702
>DeS
>Farm grass for 20 minutes so you never have to worry about health the rest of the game
>World tendency
>The entirety of 4 after 4-1
>Shrek's swamp
>having to re-farm souls and run for 10 minutes every time you die to fake Allant
>Inventory capacity that does nothing but serve as busywork
>Having to teach your son how to play the game because you die of old age before the PS3 can load the fucking Nexus.

The level design was the only thing that hasn't been topped by the sequels.
>>
>>337461253
Gargoyles, Spidertits, Sif, Sanctuary Guardian, Kalameet, Manus
>>
>>337461030
BB's level design follows similar principles to DeS. A single respawn point at the start of an area and no more until the boss, but you get shortcuts back to the start to make runs back less tedious.

In all 3 Dark Souls games they'd just put more bonfires (2 and 3 are especially guilty of this), the "rule" of DeS/BB forces interesting level design (or in the case of several DeS levels to man the fuck up and do the whole thing without dying.

Designing a huge intricate area like Central Yharnam around a single lamp at the beginning (and keeping it still feel fair) is a display of excellent level design, much better than 3 Bonfires in Ithryll before Pontiff.
>>
>came here to shitpost
>ended up being crushed by the nostalgia for des and old /v/ with generals in it
>>
>>337460541
>Tfw /v/ doesnt get OC like this anymore
what happened?
>>
>>337462086
memes are a taboo
>>
>>337461502
>Story/Lore
>3 above 2
>above Bloodborne

why would you ever, 3's lore is all garbage

>variety
>DaS3 above anything

>pvp
>DaS3 above anything

>above 2

i mean taste is subjective, but youve got some seriously questionable choices on where to put 3
>>
>>337461651
>>337461673
>>337461847
I feel like youre all just naming non humanoid bosses

Out of all listed only Kellog and Kalameet are any good, but Kellog is borderline
>>
>>337461647
fair enough, but i guess i just got tired of frost and fire being the 2 prevalent elements bosses use in the game. honestly Vordt is little different from the outrider knights. just fatter
>>
i find it baffling that anyone who would rate des so high would also rate the pander garbage fest das3 above proof of concept BB
>>
>>337462221
Have you looked how many bosses use fire or electricity in DaS1?
>>
File: 1412027727575.jpg (17 KB, 418x384) Image search: [Google]
1412027727575.jpg
17 KB, 418x384
>>337462180
>Sanctuary Guardian
>Sif
>Not great.
>>
>>337462180
>I feel like youre all just naming non humanoid bosses
well thats what the discussion was tight? name non humanoid bosses that are good. Kellog is definitely borderline, but I think she fights differently enough that she can be considered non humanoid. she has a sword, but many of her attacks include the spider vomiting lava and using a wog, while scuttling around more like a spider

maybe its a visual variety thing
>>
>>337462386
Sif is good in lore standards, but a fight qhere I just stand under something is dumb
>>
>>337462086
we've grown more and more elitists, somehow threatened by how the memes became a shitty normie trend

/b/ fell first with chanology
/v/ and /vg/ faded away when they got split and the gaming industry got in its millennial sjw phase
/pol/'s degenerating fast thanks to the constant trump shitposting
>>
>>337462412
What I meant was Seath and gaping dragon are shit.
Sif is only good in terms of lore, not as an actual fight
Kellogg is a trivial fight 2nd time around so she has no replay value

I can maybe get behind Sanctuary Guardian, since I guess others may have had some difficulty, but Manus is pure shit.
>>
>>337462457
I assume we were taking the atmosphere and context of the fight into account and not purely the mechanics. Because going by pure mechanics DeS has about 3 good boss fights.
>>
>>337461574
>>337462086
People who bitched about how shit /v/ is began to vastly outnumber people actually contributing.
>>
>>337462689
>gaping dragon
>shit.
git good

seath is stupid. sif is fine.
>>
>>337462695
Im talking about a good non-humanoid fight since every bashs DaS2 for having to many.

DaS1 best fights were humanoid fights too. Same with Demons souls.

Even the best fights in Bloodborne were humanoid (Gerhman, Maria, Kos)
>>
>>337462689
>Manus is pure shit.
holy shit casual detected
>>
>>337462887
theres a difference- BB's best humanoids were player type bosses.

interestingly, it's more eldritch bosses were shit, though the beast bosses were alright
>>
>>337462221
even the usual "recolored old boss" that happens in every souls game is different. Iudex Gundyr explodes midway the fight into a horrible abomination (which sets the tone for later when we see it happening to others too) while Champion Gundyr is straight-up wrestlemania.

DS2's version of that is to have the exact same guy again but now there's maybe two of them (this happens even in the goddamn DLCs).
>>
>>337462918
Literally just a reskinned Firelurker.
>>
>>337462134
3's story is far, far better than dark souls 2 though.

You have a continuous motivator throughout the entire game, kill the four lords of cinder, this is echoed through the opening cutscene, and remains the focus point throughout the game.

In doing this you learn more about the events that go on in the world, the history of the areas, the purpose of the bosses/characters/areas.

In dark souls 2 the plot loses all cohesion as you have no real motivation to half of the stuff and it falls apart very easily.

Bloodborne's lore was decent, and interesting, but it was nowhere near as captivating or mysterious as dark souls or demons souls for me, it was actually all rather straightforward, which is funny considering the subject matter.

DaS3 has far better pvp than Dark souls 1, demons souls, and bloodborne.

Bloodborne has the least variety in area design, area purpose, weapon aesthetics, armour aesthetics, buff/magic (or tool), rings and rune purpose etc.

Dark Souls 3 has more variety than demons souls and dark souls 1.

I don't really see how my taste is questionable at all.
>>
>>337463056
confirmed for never having played DeS.

or AotA.

or both.

stop trying to fit in.
>>
>>337463001
Its hard to say humanoid about BB since Bloodborne had only a few of them, but the ones they did have were great.
>>
>>337463056
He LITERALLY (literally) plays nothing like flamelurker
>>
>>337460458
greatest
>>
>>337463061
>DaS3 pvp is far better than das, des and bb pvp
end yourself you degenerate autist
>>
>>337463154
confirmed for never having played DeS.

PCuck
>>
>>337460347
kek

but
>not running up to that fucker and heavy macing it with the thief ring on.
>>
>>337463061
>3's story better
3 has the weakest story out of all the other souls games.I am not saying its bad but it almost felt unfinished and half assly done.
>>
I've played all souls games, not including BB, and just beat 3. My rankings:

Combat/Gameplay: DS3>DS2>DS1>Des. It's gotten better with every installment, although powerstancing and general weapon viability were cool in 2.

Level Design: 3>Des>1>2
The world was more interconnected in DaS, but I think the levels in and of themselves in 3 were better. If I can remember details of every level in DeS after putting it down for 6 years then it deserves at least number 2. Boletaria was goat

Lore:
1>2>3>DeS

1 absolutely floored me after I finished it. 3 had too many references and callbacks, and DeS was too barebones. 2 tried different things and I loved the Old King DLC.

Boss Design:
3>1>DeS>2

3 was strong all the way through and didn't taper off after the midway point in the game. DeS suffers from shit like the Leechmonger and Old Monk (a player invasion is not a boss), but had some great ones like False Allant.

Music:
DeS>3>1>2

DeS really shines here, but they're all pretty close except 2. The only really great track in 2 was Alonne's theme.

Overall Aesthetic:
1>2>DeS>3
I'm not a fan of how washed out and colorless some areas in 3 are. The armors look better than they ever have, but the color scheme initially put me off. I know it could be explained via the Fire fading, but it's not my thing. Being a next Gen game it obviously looks the best graphics wise compared to the others, but I dunno.

Overall:
3>1>DeS>2
>>
>>337458462
I'm still hoping on that remaster with a fixed archstone
>>
champion gundyr, twin princes, soul of cinder, nameless king, orphan of kos, maria, gehrman, gascoigne, pontiff sulayvahn, artorias, gwyn, four kings, ornstein and smough, burnt ivory king, sir alonne, fume knight, false king, penetrator, old hero, darklurker, velstadt, looking glass knight, abyss watchers, abhorrent beast, dancer of the boreal valley, dragonslayer armour, logarius, the pursuer, smelter demon, throne watcher/defender, gwyn

These bosses all have something in common...

Notice how ludwig is only really special in his second phase...

Huh... I wonder why...
>>
>>337460347
DeS crystal lizards were horrible, I'm not sure if I like them or not.

Either way, they are garunteed to leave people with OCD in a trembling pit of anxiety.
>>
>>337463545
what do they have in common?
>>
>buy DeS because muh rpg
>not what I expected, not super into it because I'm bad
>eventually buy it back months later out of curiosity
>love it once I realise that it is I that sucks dick, not the game
>beat it
>beat all souls games and bloodborne
>go back to playing DeS
>cheesing combat
>realising how easy some of the "hard" bosses are
>seeing the birth of those silly silly sidequests

Jesus, what a ride
>>
File: 1460292247078.png (95 KB, 225x257) Image search: [Google]
1460292247078.png
95 KB, 225x257
>>337456182
Eh, you can't catch every party.
>>
I used to think the same thing. I went back through DeS after beating BB. I'll give you a few reasons why this is not true.
2-2, 4-2, 5-1, 5-2
2-2 and 4-2 are shitty slogs through awful areas that are only marginally redeemed by their boss fights.
5-1 and 5-2 however are absolute shit fests with terrible bosses. Neither boss is very fun to fight, difficult, or containing any cool factor. 5-3 is saved by Garl Vinland and qt priestess.

Also, 2-3 is stained by Dragon God, an albeit very interesting fight conceptually, an absolute shitfest when in motion. Fuck that "fight" for any build that isn't melee.
>>
>>337463254
Manus is nothing like Flamelurker except he's aggressive and sort of a similar shape. If you want reskinned Flamelurker go and fight Abhorrant Beast.

Manus is beta version of Cleric Beast.
>>
>>337462180
They're not complete shit. That's why I listed them. Maybe they're not the most exciting bosses in the game but at least they're not Pinwheel, BoC, or Ceaseless Discharge.
>>
>>337463061
personally I feel that while you're right- 3 has a more solid narrative, 2 has better "lore" in general. I liked learning about how countless kingdoms have risen and fallen on the continent, and you see their remnants. heide, bastille, Huntsman's Copse, etc.

the idea that the game revolves exclusively around the kingdoms of man and not the gods, was nice too. Vendrick and his kingdom had some nice lore. Vendrick, a young conqueror, possibly a Drakeblood knight, conquers the continet and builds his kingdom on the bones of the defeated, gets a queen who plays him for a fool and gets him into a generations long war with the giants, the curse breaks out, he searches for a third option other than linking the fire or letting it fade, his brother goes mad scientist and is eventually confined to his manor, vendrick learns the truth about his queen and instead of linking the fire he runs away with his loyal paladin knight, after his other right hand man became a traitor and left

I liked the implications that Aldia had managed to create a species of Drakes and brought an ancient Dragon back to life out of a single petrified dragon egg, I liked the idea that Tseldora's duke, obsessed with spiders, mutated his pet spider and allowed its offspring to overrun the entire town. I liked also, that tseldora mined brightstone, and was obviously seath's crystal caves

I liked the story of the iron king, and how he fell by his own hand

I dug Raime and his story with Velstadt

the ivory king was some great lore.

Vengarl was a cool NPC with great dialogue despite not having much to him outside of "dullahan"

2 felt very much like Demon's Souls to me- in that it had it's neat areas and its lore, but it didnt concern itself too much with it, it allowed itself to be a fantasy game, while 3 is too concerned with it's lore for its own good, resulting in areas not being as interesting because they all have to be cohesive to the plot and setting and whatnot
>>
Dark Souls 3 is to Dark Souls 1 what Silent Hill 3 was to Silent Hill 1. It's no "spiritual successor to a spiritual successor" anymore, it's an actual sequel. The first in the whole Soulsborne series. Callbacks are appropriate.

Dark Souls 2 is Silent Hill 2 in theory but SH2 was actually the best of the series so that screws the whole thing up a bit.
>>
>>337463248
Dark Souls pvp was good, but not as fleshed out or realised as dark souls 3.

Dark Souls 2 pvp was better than 3.

Demons souls pvp is archaic and much less realised, although it was decent at release.

BB pvp is/was broken, far less interesting, much more tedious, and much less satisfying.

>>337463305
You're literally describing dark souls 2 though.

Dark Souls 3 story:

>Opening cutscene shows three lords of cinder rising from their graves, and the firekeeper atop the bell in firelink shrine,
>you start in a grave
>get to the firelink shrine
>you need to retrieve these cinders of lords because we need to fucking save the world
>do that
>establish side plots, area details, motivations, and other nuances along the way
>first act of high wall-abyss watchers, second act of carthus-yhorm, third act of lothric castle and related areas and archdragon peak

Dark Souls 2 story:

>opening custcene is useless cgi unrelated to the events in the game
>start in things betwixt which has no further use whatsoever
>majula
>emerald herald tells you to collect lord souls because fuck knows why
>enter shrine of winter with the lord souls because fuck knows why, this is surely a great way to travel
>drangleic castle is useless
>enter vendrick "lol i'm undead, whatever"
>get his ring to open up retarded locked doors
>get the ashen mist heart to travel back in time because fuck knows
>get the giant kinship because fuck knows
>finish the game and travel to an object that has no prior indication in the entire game

WOW 10/10 Dick souls 2 totally betta dan dark souls 3!

Simialrly, in BB, I just found the story progression lacking in interest, it was much better than dark souls 2 mind, and I can totally see why you would favour it, but the setting and events that occur during the game are muddled in reasoning and don't really hit the spot like it does in dark souls 3.
>>
>>337462887
But 2's humanoid fights were all mechanically the same.
The Pursuer, Dragonslayer, Sentinels, Smelter, Velstadt, throne cunts, Dragonrider, Flexible sentry, and Last giant, are all big guys with a horizontal combo, vertical attack with good range, a gimmick move, and maybe a gap closer if the stage is big enough. You beat all of them by standing to side and a bit behind so everything but the gimmick will miss you and you poke their ankles until they die. Once you beat the first dragon slayer you probably have this strategy down. In DeS, DaS, and BB most of these bosses had some kind of mechanic that would punish the player for committing to one spot for too long like Adjudicator's tongue and crow or O&S ground slam.

And when you take these bosses out of the pool what you're left with is garbage like the rats and Freja. At least Sif had lore going for him.
>>
>>337458149
But the level design of DaS3 is the best and most consistent. BB's Central Yharnam is still the best ever, but the later areas are much worse.
>>
File: 1462886427447.jpg (55 KB, 684x577) Image search: [Google]
1462886427447.jpg
55 KB, 684x577
>Game actually had a story instead of "beat da bosses and watch a 5 second cutscene for an ending"
>Linear gameplay instead of having to run around a shitty world and die 100 times before you got anywhere for half the game
>Community that wasnt as cancerous because it wasnt that popular, plus no PCtards whining about artificial difficulty

I miss the days of DeS
>>
bloodborne is by far froms best game

demons souls, dark souls and bloodborne dont need to get ranked in a list, all 3 games have their own goods and bads but

i would say

bloodborne>dark souls=demons souls>scholar of the first sin>dark souls 3>dark souls 2

i suppose dark souls 3 can get some points if the dlc is good, i beat the game in like 25 hours a couple weeks back and didnt look back, it was boring, desu, rehashes enemies, too many bonfires, easy in general (only hard bosses were the nameless king), game feels rushed with a couple shit areas

i normally dont give a fuck about lore, but i found bloodborne plots very interesting

i dont understand why people rank dark souls 3 so high tho, it really had little memorable stuff besides the nameless king, and even that boss was annoying with mostly getting fucked over by the retarded camera, hell what i am saying, that boss is just stupid, dont make any bosses if you dont have the mechanics ingame to be able to fairly fight them, fuck you ds3
>>
>>337463321
I can agree with this, though I love the way 3 looks. Personally BB would win aesthetics, equal 1 in lore and be second to DS3 in general gameplay feel.
>>
>>337463668
The difficulty and fun of DeS bosses is figuring out how to beat them. Once you've got that down then they become extremely easy except for Maneaters and Flamelurker.
>wondering how the fuck your supposed to fight Phalanx
>Tower Knight being intimidating as fuck until you slash at his ankles
>figuring out you have to run back and forth through Armor Spider's tunnel to not die
>realizing Dragon God is a stealth mini game
>not knowing where to hit Adjudicator
>finding Storm Ruler for the first time
>why the fuck is this bitch not staying dead god fucking damn it

It's a fantastic first play through
>>
>>337464036
Eh, I think people are being far too dismissive of dark souls 3's lore potential simply because anor londo exists.

The way the lore is uncovered as you're playing the game is a lot more satisfying than dark souls 2.

You see oceiros in his garden, maddened and crazy, shunned off from the upper reaches of lothric castle, with his invisible dragon child and ramblings, a half dragon monster, you later learn that it was through the discovery of seath and logans research that he was reduced to this, and that there is a cult based on the research in the archives

You have the three lords of cinder, aldrich, yhorm and farrons undead legion, who rise from their graves in the opening cutscene, this implies that they are only steps in front of you, with the undead legion killing each other due to the abyss's corruption, yhorm reclined within his deep profaned capital, settled in and ready to waste away his days, and aldrich, set on a path of destruction from cathedral of the deep to anor londo, where pontiff sulayvahn, who had taken over anor londo following his "burning ambition" following the events in the profaned capital, and locked away the sickly gwyndolin in the upper reaches of anor londo's cathedral, you learn that pontiff directed aldrich into the cathedral of devour gwyndolin.

The game's world just feels so much more active than dark souls 2.
>>
>>337463740
You can talk shit about Dragon God, Leechmonger, and Dirty Colossus all you want but there is literally nothing wrong with the level design of those areas.
>>
>>337464741
yep, game came out 8 years ago, i had a blast playing it when i was 15 years old
>>
>>337461030
>DaS3 is filled with out of place references and is also nothing like DeS in any way.
Why is the Storm Ruler in the world of Dark Souls

Why is there a character completely identical to Yuria, the Black Witch with the same voice actress

Why did they name the Mephistopheles clone "Yuria" just to confuse it further

Why is the Firekeeper's dialogue ripped almost word for word from the Maiden in Black's dialogue
>>
>>337464036
Exactly what i think.I love how the real story wasnt connected too much to the general lore of world.Every place had its own history and they were all interesting to figure out.I havent seen anything like that in 3.Dark Souls 3's lore was directly related to the story and the world didnt seem as vast and rich compared to 2 and 1 for that reason.Not saying 3 did it bad but it wasnt as good.
>>
>>337464471
>game feels rushed
It obviously is. Miyazaki had 3 years on Bloodborne but then had to go and put DS3 together in a year. They say DS3's production started a lot earlier but they also say that Miyazaki pretty much started the whole thing over when he jumped in. It would explain why so much shit was recycled from BB.

I blame DS2. If it didn't exist, they probably wouldn't have forced DS3 out either and without them we would just have three fantastic games that stand on their own.
>>
As someone who played DeS first, DaS is generally better. The only ways in which DaS is worse is fall damage, and being a bit too long for its own good. DaS has a bit too many half-assed unnecessary areas. Although DeS is not without its share of shitty areas, the bearbug tunnels are worse than anything in Dark Souls.

DaS has way better bosses, generally better mechanics, and a more interesting and interconnected world.
>>
>>337456274
Each area, however, is bigger and have plenty of shortcuts done in a smart way. This doesn't happen much in any DaS. I can only even think of Undead burg, and the rest is just linear and you have to go back all the way or teleport, which breaks the whole "being one worls" thing.
>>
>>337465031
im personally not too much anti ds2, i played a ton of pvp on it and it was alot of fun putting down my summon sign in the dlc areas, there was a time i would wake up in the morning, put down my sign in the blue smelter demon area and just do that the whole day, i have no idea why but it was fun

yeah the base game was kinda bad, but miyazaki didnt work on it

i still think its really cool how from software shat out these games in only 8 years, meanwhile final fantasy 15 had been in development for like 10 years..
>>
>>337464968
2-2
Go through these shitty tunnels that your camera clips through most of the time. Oh, by the way, there are giant fire bugs in there that you'll need to whail on for 30 to 60 seconds to get past. Have fun.
5-1
Have fun walking around these tiny wooden gangplanks swarming with mobs of little annoying shits.
5-2
It's a pure swamp episode.

I'm not saying that these levels were absolutely irredeemable, it's just that these levels seem to be glossed over when looking at DeS. It's easy to look at Latria as a whole, 2-1, Boletaria as a whole, 4-1, and 5-3 and see the excellent things From did in this title, but there were some parts of the game that were not as good as others.
>>
File: 1437952435770.gif (882 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1437952435770.gif
882 KB, 500x500
>>337465009
I get the feeling after BB sony let them use their old stuff again and they wanted to include des stuff. Feels like they pick and chose their favorite things from all their souls games, hence things like storm ruler.

That said, I'm still annoyed to all fuck you can't 'fix' storm ruler and it remains a cool looking but ultimately useless waste of inventory space.
>>
Whats the story behind Sony getting exclusitivity to this game anyway? I remember the month it came out, I was on Justin.tv and I found a random stream playing it and I was immediately intrigued, so I researched and found it was PS3 exclusive, because I was a huge PS3 fanboy at the time, and have never heard of it. Did sony ever even hype this game, at like an E3 or something? I don't remember seeing anything about it until launch
>>
>>337465046
The Bearbug level was one of the best. Your opinions are just wrong.

4>1>2>3>5
>>
>>337465608
>The Bearbug level was one of the best.

You seriously enjoyed attacking those fat fucks over? It was the definition of tedium. Not even difficult tedium, it's fucking easy, but very annoying. Definitely one of the lowest points of the game.
>>
>>337465749
over and over*
>>
>>337464169
>>opening custcene is useless cgi unrelated to the events in the game
the cursed undead hears tales of drangleic. he goes to some ruins and falls down a portal into the past, to drangleic. you might as well ask what half the shit in DeS or kings field is. those are still considered good regardless though.

>>emerald herald tells you to collect lord souls because fuck knows why
she is guiding you to be the next monarch, much like frampt guided you. You go along with it because first off- youve forgotten why you went there in the first place, and second, because you are searching for a cure, and figure why not go along with it.

>>drangleic castle is useless
>literally has a kiln of the first flame underneath it
>has the queen, who also tries to dupe you into getting the key to the kiln for her
>is the path to the king's ring
>useless

>>enter vendrick "lol i'm undead, whatever"
yeah he went hollow. whats your point? gwyn was also hollow whatever. Its well established that when you lose your sense of purpose, you go hollow. Vendrick lost all sense of purpose and wallowed in self pity until he hollowed, while Velstadt, while corrupted by dark, didnt because his purpose was to defend vendrick

>>get his ring to open up retarded locked doors
yes, and? you needed a crest to open up a random door in 1, not to mention you needed a ring to traverse the entirety of izalith, or to enter the abyss

>>get the ashen mist heart to travel back in time because fuck knows
yeah that was butchered content no doubt. but no less or more stupid than the kiln in 3 having a bonfire, and then a second bonfire that acts solely as a warp to another bonfire

>>finish the game and travel to an object that has no prior indication in the entire game

what? the kiln? its clear that vendrick and aldia were studying the soul and the curse, and Nashandra had him steal something from the giants. (and theres an unfinished excavation of firelink in majula) its really not so hard to follow.
>>
>>337465563
Apparently, since Dark Souls III literally copypastes assets from Bloodborne. They brought over those stacks of bodies from Hemwick completely unaltered, and didn't even bother to bring over the haystacks they were resting on, so the bodies are all resting on some invisible cone.
>>
>>337464831
its not just anor londo, but theres also just the lack of variety. its castles dungeons and cathedrals everywhere, and the lords of cinder outside of aldritch are just not interesting or fleshed out when it feels they should. Aldritch is probably the most fleshed out, Yhorm the least, and Abyss Watchers begin and end with "Artorias", for better or for worse. theres very little on prince lothric+Lorian other than Lothric was bred specifically to be a lord of cinder and was frail, and has some kind of curse which he shared with Lorian, crippling him.
>>
>>337465046
There's no doubt DaS improved mechanics but it's hard to ignore the half ass areas. DeS level design was topnotch all the way through. I don't think the tunnels were bad it's just that the bugs have a little too much health if you go there early on.
I don't like comparing bosses from DeS and DaS because they serve completely different purposes.
>>
I like all of the games but dark souls 1 has some of the worst bosses in the series.
queelag is shit
everything in lost izalith/demon ruins is shit
iron giant is a joke
all the lord souls bosses are doo doo (except for gwyn cause I'm bad at parrying)
moonlight butterfly is boring
capra demon is trash

dark souls 2 just has a lot of mediocre bosses and the only really awful bosses are the rats/coop dlc bosses.
>>
DeS/DaS: Interesting atmosphere so it felt like a breath of fresh air, a few good area's surrounded by a pile of dogshit area's.
Same applies to bosses, huge amount of crap and gimmick bosses and a few standout ones.

DaS2: This was truly a bad game, the animations and textures were so offputting i had to force myself to finish the game.
A nonexistent atmosphere and cardboard npc's didn't help, all the bosses simply felt mechanical regardless of how shit or good they were.
Pvp in the end was pretty fun but i'm not a pvp autist.

BB: Updated engine, boss difficulty increased as well as quality consistency, intentional design for bosses to punish back-rolling.
Interesting IP and atmosphere, felt somewhat fresh even though we were getting bored of the souls engine.

DaS3: By now we're pretty bored of the souls genre even though we don't want to admit it.
Highest in terms of consistent quality of level design, boss design.
Kept BB's design of enemies punishing back-rolls with lunge attacks, updated stamina/shield mechanics so it takes off a fuckton of stamina and you risk getting reposted (as it should have always been).

DeS/DaS/BB was the most interesting to think about the story, DaS3 is the best in purely game mechanic design.
>>
>>337465606
Bloodborne, you mean?

bloodborne was commissioned by Sony. they were finishing AotA and Sony said they wanted another exclusive like DeS.

But Miyazaki didnt just want to make DeS2, so he decided to make something new for the new system.

thats it.
>>
>>337466327
Pretty much this. I think DaS3 is definitely the most polished, mechanically strongest game in the series. I just won't ever like it as much as DeS, DaS or BB.
>>
>>337465749
No I enjoyed finding the shortcut past them all.
>>
>>337466327
I enjoy dark souls 3 as a sort of sendoff to the whole series. I honestly wonder wtf they're going to do with the dlc though.

how the hell do you top soul of cinder? that boss screamed:"the seriesis done k love u babe"
>>
>>337465538
I never had camera troubles in the tunnels and I didn't think those bugs stopped me for too long but I can see how this place can bother people. I never locked on there so I don't know if that helped.

Valley of Defilement is great though. Watching your step and surroundings was a part of the fun. Like any Souls area you got punished for not being observant and rushing. 5-2 is my favorite swamp area of all time. I loved all the hidden shit scattered everywhere and finding the Large Sword of Moonlight on my third play through was mind blowing.
>>
>>337466826
>I honestly wonder wtf they're going to do with the dlc though.
elaborate on a few minor mysteries in the game and give us the most challenging bosses of the game.

just like always.
>>
>>337466327
>mechanics
other than the whole 'oops we fucked up poise' thing
>>
>>337466826
>DLC takes place in Drangleic
>fight the cursed undead from 2 as a lost lord of cinder
>>
>>337466252
>I don't like comparing bosses from DeS and DaS because they serve completely different purposes.

The thing is, DaS' bosses felt like they fit the game mechanics more than DeS' did (with a couple exceptions). DeS' bosses were either very simplistic or dumb puzzle bosses. Even Garl Vinland is only remembered because of the story, all he really does is stand there and use the same couple attacks over and over. Same with Flamelurker, very simple and only remembered because his physical resistance makes him harder than usual. Also, I don't think puzzle bosses really fit the series and are generally the low point of every game. Dragon God is just a matter of knowing where to stand so you can avoid his terrible hitboxes.

Considering how similar DeS and DaS are, I think it's more than fair to compare their bosses. There's nothing about DeS's mechanics that justify its inferior bosses.
>>
>>337466228
Sorry, but the complaint about the lords is ridiculous.

Aldrich is a maniacal saint/bishop who had a weird tendency to consume human flesh, in this he grew and became fattened, before softening into the sludge he is today, in his visions he dreamt of a deep sea, which became the centrepiece for their religion, and the founding of the deacons/cathedral of the deep

Further to the games events he is awoken by the bell to offer his cinders to relight the flame as ludleth regrets his own failing in creating a world of dark

Aldrich then denies his supposed role to go on a rampage through the areas surrounding lothric before ending up in irithyll, where pontiff sulayvahn probably wanted to take advantage of the situation by directing him to the imprisoned gwyndolin, but also to save irithyll, while allowing the other deacons free pass to anor londo.

Yhorm is a giant who became allied with the humans, his ties with the pontiff and the people he ruled over presumably resulted in them all burning after pontiff took the flame out of control, hence the many dead, burnt bodies in profane capital, in his regret he wallowed in his seat to wait away the end of time, knowing that he was lord over nothing

The abyss watchers:
>had allegiance under farrons keep
>were dedicated to staving away the abyss
>through years of toiling, some descended into the rotted ghru, becoming a miniature tribal civilisation
>yellow finger heysel, daughter of farron came under the allegiance of rosaria and was eventually reborn as a maggot
>the abyss watchers you fight are the grave remnants respawning and attacking eachother, as the abyssal influence from carthus has corrupted them
>hawkwood became disillusioned with the abyss watchers, knowing their cause was for little, and saught a greater path instead, the path of the dragon

cont.
>>
>>337467270
>There's nothing about DeS's mechanics that justify its inferior bosses.
Absolutely false

Demon's Souls had the Castlevania-style setup where a boss would not be a challenge in itself, but would be a final test after playing the whole stage, so a lower standard of difficulty made sense. More often than not in Dark Souls you can walk directly to the boss fight from the nearest checkpoint, so the boss needs to be its own self-contained challenge with no consideration for the rest of the stage.
>>
>>337466504
No, did you read the post? I meant DeS. It literally came out of no where, and was co-developed by sony. Did they even advertise it.
>>
>>337467773

It has nothing to do with the difficulty, it's a difference in design philosophy. The Maneaters were way harder than the Gargoyles, even accounting for player experience.
>>
>>337467914
>It literally came out of no where, and was co-developed by sony.
They were talking about making a successor to King's Field and Shadow Tower for a few years before it released, and most of From's games up until that point were published exclusive to Sony's consoles, which is probably where the partnership came from.
>>
>>337467270
I think puzzle bosses are needed just for variety.
I feel the problem is from just can't seem to execute them properly.

Though I think they do have great atmosphere. micolash,deacons,Maiden astrea were great for that.
>>
>>337467508
Lothric/Lorian:
Two Princes of the lothric area's demented royal power, sought to breeding perfect heirs to keep the lands from ruin

The only lords of cinder not present in the opening cutscene, as they unlike the rest presumably didn't light the flame, and haven't actually died yet, so there's no need to rise from the grave, "hence lothric's little quips about being at his grave spot"

Lorian was an alpha male all star cool guy, slayer of the demon prince etc. but due to royal retardedness, he was for whatever reason seen as unfit to be a lord of cinder, perhaps due to him being retarded as well who knows.

Lothric is the result of weird ritualistic attempts to breed the perfect heir, but something presumably went horribly wrong, I'm guessing that oceiros probably had something to do with it with his dragon fuckery, and maybe rosaria.

Either way, in their misery, lorian/lothric offered to combine their soul, presumably to add strength/stop death, and so that's how they ended up where they are today.

At some point they met a scholar, perhaps aldia, who told them of the futility of lighting the flame, imbuing the sense of passiveness they have when you meet them.

I'd argue that yhorm is the only lord of cinder who feels less fleshed out than the other ones, and even he has potential, the connection to ancient giant conquerors, the whole relation to the profane flame and pontiff sulayvahn implications.

It's all there.

As for area design, the other comment we have:

Firelink/Untended graves: A graveyard, ritualistic necromantic site
High wall of lothric: An undead burg like area on the lower side of a castle
Undead Settlement: An undead settlement
Forest/Swamp Areas
Cathedral of the deep
Catacombs
Smouldering lake
Irithyll town
Anor Londo
Irithyll Dungeon
Profane Capital
Grand Archives
Lothric Castle
Consumed King's Garden
Archdragon Peak

I don't get the whole "cathedrals everywhere lol" complaint.
>>
>>337468313
I'm pretty sure Lorian became a tard because he shared the brunt of lothrics curse. whatever that is.
>>
>>337468558
It's possible.

I was only suggesting it because there doesn't appear to be a reason why lorian couldn't just link the flame himself.

Maybe he was corrupted by the demon influence or some shit, whatever.
>>
>>337468778
I think that he just didn`t fit Oceiros` standards for "perfect heir". Lorian is just too normal for him.
Lothric is physically weak, but he is extraordinary talented in magic/miracles. If I remember well, he is the only humanoid (besides Gwyn/SoC), who doesn`t use any catalyst for spells.
>>
>>337467914
Fromsoft was always a sony developer, its not exactly strange. all of Fromsoft's games before DaS were sony exclusive.

DeS was a third person king's Field spiritual successor

also no they didnt advertise it. It was a half failed project as is. miyazaki describes that they were having shit development and he stepped in when they were already at rock bottom in hope. he took complete creative control because there was no risk. if it did well, he would get praised for it. if it failed, oh well, it was already a failed project

but with literally nothing but word of mouth, DeS was a big hit, making it a golden example of advertisement by word of mouth.

Sony didnt want to publish outside of japan because kaz is a casual and didnt like the game. but then outside of japan it was a smash hit as well. And Dark Souls raked in big bux as a multiplat, which is why they came crawling back to Miyazaki for another exclusive, which netted them BB
>>
>>337467270
DeS, in my opinion, felt more like a game of figuring things out rather than putting your combat skills on display. It's a true spiritual successor to Kings Field. Of course there are some bosses that test if you've learned the combat yet but overall the game is challenging you to figuring out how to approach various situations. The Astraea boss fight was more of a story moment rather than a boss much like King Allant.
Unfortunately the game feels like a one play through sort of game. It's not like the bosses are complete shit or anything it's just that once you've solved a puzzle then what's the point of trying it over and over? The first play through of DeS will always be it's greatest moment. From decided to avoid that and make DaS bosses combat challenges only so that it stays challenging every play through. That's not a bad thing but it does get a little boring when you can defeat every single boss the same way.
>>
File: 1461773259393.jpg (318 KB, 760x797) Image search: [Google]
1461773259393.jpg
318 KB, 760x797
I completely agree with OP about Demon's Souls. The rest of you children who can't handle DeS will never know it's beauty.
Buy seriously, just because it's the hardest, that doesn't mean you have to give up on it.
>>
>>337470414
Please no, as far as I can say the thread was doing well without the never ending argument about which game is the hardest.
Do you want to hear the answer? It's actually pretty simple The one you played first
>>
>>337470535
This
After playing DeS 5 times I blazed through DaS and DaS3. Not DaS2 but that game was hard for all the wrong reasons.
>>
I think people are splitting hairs when it comes to DeS and DaS. Out of all the souls games those two are the most similar.
>>
>>337470943
>Out of all the souls games those two are the most similar
I still think they're really different and created with different mindesets. One's Megaman and the other is a Metroidvania.
>>
>>337458149
>Gameplay
correct

>level design
DaS3 should be second behind BB

>Wold Design
BB and DaS1 should be = because DaS1's world design goes to shit in the second half

>bosses
DaS3 is the best by a fucking long shot in this category

>atmosphere
correct

>story/lore
BB and DeS should be =

>community
who fucking cares

>sound track
too subjective to rate but DaS1 is the worst. The rest are good.
>>
>>337470414
DeS is hardly the hardest
>>
DeS has the worst music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaZWK0RaPFk [Embed]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIAQY2xwXPc&list=RDvaZWK0RaPFk&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQw1rPMn95E&index=3&list=RDvaZWK0RaPFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OefcLt1NoZk&list=RDvaZWK0RaPFk&index=6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7T05Lm9mjw&index=7&list=RDvaZWK0RaPFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTmdkMRaPUE&index=8&list=RDvaZWK0RaPFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTT4di20FtU&index=9&list=RDvaZWK0RaPFk

(crash bandicoot music lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMphk_j27yw&list=RDvaZWK0RaPFk&index=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFjotdhdBLM&list=RDvaZWK0RaPFk&index=13

Sure there are some great tracks like maiden astraea and false king, but the majority of it sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pA8VzdpDnU
>>
In terms of difficulty of the games not including DLC content;

DaS3>BB>DaS1>DaS2>>>DeS

This is not debatable. "lmao it was my first souls game and I haven't played it in years so that makes it the hardest" faggots need not apply.
>>
>>337471246
>needs an example of linear design vs nonlinear design
>chooses Mega Man vs Metroidvania instead of Classicvania vs Metroidvania
>>
>>337472071
Dark Souls III is probably the easiest in the series.
>>
>>337471998
I like DeS music. It's more interesting than generic orchestra pieces you can place anywhere in the game because they don't represent anything.
>>
File: 1411905556888.png (4 KB, 332x280) Image search: [Google]
1411905556888.png
4 KB, 332x280
I just finished playing DS1. Should I play DS2 or just go for DS3?
The controls in DS2 seems overall clunky to me.
>>
>>337456274
I actually preferred the separate levels thing
>>
>>337472235
DaS2 is better than 3, so yes.
>>
>>337471998
But the chamber music is pretty great and fits the oppressive atmosphere way better than BOMBASTIC ORCHESTRA AND EPIC CHOIR
>>
>>337455702
i enjoyed all of them and still got them installed. The lack of a full red eye orb in ds2 is the worst part.
>>
>>337472235
if you liked 1, then play 2 and 3. 1 is superior to both, but both 2 and 3 have some nice things to offer.
>>
>>337472214
and whats the hardest? DeS? DaS1? Nothing in DeS is remotely difficult and Ornstein and Smough are not nearly as difficult as you remember.
>>
>>337472095
I don't see the problem
DeS has a straight up Megaman style way of choosing where to go next. There's no specific order of doing things. It's the most non linear game in the series.
>>
>>337455702
I heard Garl Vinland is in DS3
Is that true?
>>
>>337472372
literally just sounds like stock music from 60's cartoons though

It is both dull and uninteresting excluding like 3 tracks.
>>
>>337472641
Not exactly, but there is a clone of him if that makes sense.
>>
>>337472492
>1 is supieor to both

When will this meme end? 1 is barely better than 2 and 3 is clearly superior. 1's second half is utter garbage. World design isn't the only thing that matters.
>>
>>337472290
>>337472492
Are there likeable characters and hidden quests in DaS2 and 3?
One of the things that got me playing still was trying to save Solaire.
>>
>>337472747
No. NPC's haven't been good since DaS1.
>>
>>337472214
You had four games of practice though. I admit I got bored of DaS 3 really early on because of how easy it was to me but when paying attention to the enemies, level design, and fast bosses, I can see how someone who's playing for the first time will think it's fucking impossible.
>>
>>337473098
I can't even begin to imagine the hell that DaS3 would be for anyone unfamiliar with the series.

The enemies/bosses are essentially ds1 on steroids
>>
>>337473087
Well fuck.
How about Bloodborne?
>>
>>337472747
3 has tons of hidden quests, although in an obtuse and sometimes annoying way.

2 doesnt really have "hidden" quests, although most character quests involve summoning NPC's for bosses to complete, although 2 does have some likable characters. 3 does too.
>>
>>337473315
Terrible. The NPCs are worse than DaS2 and that's a pretty big accomplishment.
>>
>>337473315
Bloodborne has bad NPC's. the questlines are like an afterthought. and none of them are terribly memorable compared to some of the human boss characters
>>
>>337472747
The one and only likable character in DaS3 is Greirat. Sidequests are easy to fuck up and end in unsatisfying ways.
>>
>>337473553
>unsatisfying ways

Jesus Christ this. Miyazaki's writing is getting so annoying.

>LMAO HE DIES
>LMAO HE DIES
>LMAO SHE DIES
>LMAO SHE DIES

is the ending to like every questline in BB and DaS3
>>
>>337473553
I quite liked Siegward's.
>>
>>337473315
literally the most memorable NPC in Bloodborne is one you never actually see, and interact with through a window. Hes the one NPC who's story lats pretty much through to the endgame, and has a classic Souls series bad end.

Rip Gilbert
>>
>>337473802
its nice but it also ends randomly with "HE DIES LOL" for no reason. At least Siegmeyer had the whole thing about going hollow and you find him dead, killed by his daughter. it works and it was sad.

but 3? his quests starts well enough and is very interactive, and iuts nice and lengthy and cute, but then he has a random quest to kill Yhorm and after hes dead he just dies. not to mention he pulls a second stormruler out of his ass
>>
File: im a fucking loser.png (103 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
im a fucking loser.png
103 KB, 500x375
What's PVP soul level stop point?
>>
>>337474119
>>
>>337474098
>not to mention he pulls a second stormruler out of his ass

Whats the issue with this? It was given to him by Yhorm.
>>
>>337473851
I just realized, isnt Gilbert basically the BB equivalent of Crestfallen?
>>
>>337474098
>Yhorm the Giant once held two of these, but gave one to the humans that doubted him, and left the other to a dear friend before facing his fate as a Lord of Cinder.

It wasn't random at all. Siegward's undead geis is to keep his promise to his friend, Yhorm, and kill the giant if he ever loses his shit.

>after hes dead he just dies
He fulfilled his quest and didn't want to hollow so like Oscar, he kills himself to be free from the curse.
>>
>>337474486
eh
>>
>>337468313
Lothrics line has the youngest son sacrafice themselves.

Lorian was likely seen to be that son until Lothric came around. Just the flame didnt need to be kindled at that point

Its also likely why the mother stole Ocelotte away
>>
>>337474791
POSSE UP STEADILY FEEL YOUR VOID SPLIT IM LIKE
>>
File: 1364902507433.jpg (115 KB, 435x435) Image search: [Google]
1364902507433.jpg
115 KB, 435x435
>>337473087
>>337473432
>>337473503
>>337473515
>>337473553
>>337473851
How is DaS1 the one with less story but the one with the most interesting plotlines at the same time?
My eyes were watery as hell when I had to kill Solaire and when Sigmayer died.
>>
>>337475537
Because you are a fag.
>>
>>337474791
Fucks fail to understand
I’m like,
>>
>>337473315
Besides yandere-guy (who is interesting deconstruction of Solaire-type characters), Djura and Eileen (just because she has enough screentime), npcs in bloodborne were mostly boring.

Somehow, I like how npcs went crazy during the game events.
DS3 npcs are good, but they didn`t give a single fuck about what`s going (eclipse, the end of the world, Ashen One`s duty).
>>
>>337457045
As much as I love both DeS and DaS (with DaS3 being the best Souls game imo), most of the stuff on this post is bullshit. The fog gates for one are not in any way related to the fog discussed in the intro. There is still no lore explanation for them aside from "lol boss area".
Storm ruler was supposed to be a reference to DeS, hence why it lacks presentation.
Simpler mechanics come with a lot of clunkiness. I recently replayed DaS1 after 3 and I just couldn't get used to the four directional roll. Although smithing mechanics in DeS are excellent and second only to DaS3.
As for the lore, it's just as deep as DaS' albeit not as vast. You can clearly find From's signature absent narrative in the game. Basically, the king of Boletaria was too greedy for power and awoke the Old One (god ?). Then he left the rotting demon infested kingdom to join the Old One. Allant eventually turned weak and the Old One beckoned for a new demon pupil. In order to be chosen, you kill every demon to be the only (and strongest) demon remaining. Then you can appease the Old One or claim your reward in power. The NPCs are also as intricate as they are in the following Souls.
Only thing I commend DeS for especially is having the best Uchigatana. The moveset was absolutely perfect. DaS2 has the dullest.
Thread replies: 225
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.