[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think I need a playstation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
I always wanted to play the Metal Gear Solid series, but I've never gotten around to doing so, simply because I've never owned any playstation systems and the series has mostly been ps-exclusive. When MGSV came for PC, I didn't only buy it, but also played it for over 500hrs (still counting). This pretty much reassured me that I need to play this series and now I'm considering buying a PS3 + MGS legacy collection.

Which PS3 should anon geht? Thinking about the fat version, simply because it's compatible with PS2 games as far as I know and as such allows me to play even more ps-exclusive content, such as Silent Hill, Ico and more.

Also, I'm somewhat on a budget, so I'm considering buying a used system. There are pretty cheap and new ps3 systems avaiable, but obviously none of them have ps2-compability, as they're all slim systems.

tl;dr recommend me a playstation console
>>
>>337445769
>PS3 + MGS legacy collection.

thats it right there, PS3 model dosent really matter

Also Silent Hill and Ico are on PSN
>>
>>337445769
>Which should I get
Fat PS3 with CFW.

Backwards compatibility + free games. If not at least a fat PS3.
>>
>>337445873
Are all games on the MGS legacy collection in physical form or are some download codes? Just asking because if they're download codes, I need a PS3 with an acceptable hard drive. Also I need to be careful when buying a used MGS legacy collection as the codes may have been used already.
>>337445916
>CFW
I didn't even consider piracy yet. While there are games on ps, that I wanna play, they are not so plentiful, that I couldn't afford them. It's pretty much MGS, Ico + Sotc and Journey. I bet there's more when I think about it, but those are the games that immediately come to my mind. Oh and Silent Hill.
>>
>>337445916
Pretty much impossible to find so you'd have to do it yourself though.
>>
>>337446260
Legacy Collection is

>MGS1 Download Code
>MGS HD Collection (2/3/PW)
>MGS4 Disk

I've seen it around for like $20 but you can probably be extra cheap and buy them all separately if you dont care for the art booklet
>>
Fat PS3s are actually all breaking right now.

Maybe get a slim
>>
>>337446260
Cfw ps3 is very useful for undubs and translation patches too.
Also, while you are choosing ps3 games, consider getting Yakuza 4 too. If you'll like it - get others. First 3 are much more connected.
>>
>>337446643
>all breaking right now
Source?
>>
>>337445769
As others have said, you literally just need Metal Gear Legacy Collection and a PS3 for all of the main games. I did the same thing a few months ago.
Just check whether you're getting a new or used copy. MGS1 is only included as a download code, so it almost certainly won't be included in a used copy.
Also, you may need to set up an overseas PSN account to redeem the code. I'm an ausfag and had to make a US account to get it because I bought a US copy.
>>
Also, cfw ps3 has ps2 emulator. Not as good as hw ps2 compatibility from old fat ps3s, but pretty good if you don't have powerful pc
>>
>>337445769
What do people who've never played an MGS game think about MGSV's story? Were you confused about who all the characters were, what the point of it all was ect? What did you think about the super powers and the villain's plan?
>>
>>337447202
I haven't played 5 (only up to 4), but isn't it like third in the chronology? Like I reckon somebody could easily play 3 first, simply because you don't really need a proper understanding of the previous games to see what's going on.
>>
>>337446848
>Also, while you are choosing ps3 games, consider getting Yakuza 4 too. If you'll like it - get others. First 3 are much more connected.
Thank you. I appreciate all game recommendations, especially considering I'm about to wander into unknown territory with my first playstation.
>>337446643
That's exactly what got me concerned. PS3 fat is nice due to backwards compability, but I'd rather have a trusty, factory-new slim right from the store.
>>337447107
I'm from germany, but there's a store in my town selling a (probably used) copy of the MGS legacy collection. It's a bit pricey, but at least I can ask the shop owner which language version it is and if the download code has already been redeemed.

What does MGS1 cost on the PSN store, just in case I grab a legacy collection without code? Anybody know?

>>337447202
First of all, I think it was wrong to split GROUND ZEROES and PHANTOM PAIN. The first act wasn't amazing story-wise, but it was cohesive and fun to follow. But the whole revenge plot was weakened by the fact that Skull face's horrible acts were done in another game. It also lessened the shock of the opening scene in the hospital, after having been in a coma for 9 YEARS, and it lessend the effect of the "epic twist" at the end of MGS V. That's already act 2 though, which is pretty much a mess.

Even though I've never played MGS, I do have some familiarity with it. Enough to know who Big Boss and Revolver Ocelot are, for example. I even saw coming who the guy on fire was. And of course I recognised shota mantis immediately. I was a little bit bamboozled by chico, paz and miller and their whole part in this universe. Wasn't too bad though, especially since miller was a likable guy.

Everything regarding Huey though TOTALLY confused me. Was he a traitor and murderer? Or just a coward and akward beta? Did he kill skull face to relive him of his pain or did he seriously think he was getting revenge? What's with battle gear? I could go on.
>>
>>337445769
If you think about buying a ps tomorrow, don't
>>
OP, do NOT get a fat PS3!!!!!!!!!!
They heat up like a motherfucker and sound like a jet engine at times, especially when playing PS2 games. They also have an extremely high malfunction rate in 2016. Seems they were not built to last after all.

Stick with either the slim or the super slim. Yes, you lose backwards compatibility with PS2 games, but at least your console will be nice and quiet and won't take up half your garage.
>>
>>337446643
Mine still works.

Maybe you fatasses should learn to take care of your stuff.
>>
>>337447636
The strongest point of 1-4 is the story and v just shit all over it, so you're in for a real treat.

especially 1 and 3 BROTHER
>>
>>337447636
>What does MGS1 cost on the PSN store
For me it's 15 roobucks, so probably about 10 euro or so. Frankly it's probably cheaper to buy Legacy Collection used and buy MGS separately.
Also, Legacy comes with Metal Gear 1 and 2 (NOT just Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2) included in MGS3. Metal Gear 1 hasn't aged very well, but it's still worth a try for an hour or so to see if it suits you. Otherwise, watch a let's play or something of it. Metal Gear 2 is fucking revolutionary for a game from 1990, and still holds up pretty well even today. Just be prepared to play the whole thing with a walkthrough handy, because it gets really stupid sometimes.

All up, the playing order is Metal Gear 1 + 2 > Metal Gear Solid 1-4 > Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker > Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain.
>>
>>337447871
I was looking for a good story in MGSV, but as I kept playing the game, I came to care less about the story (which turned worse with every hour you played, even though I thought it started pretty good) and simply stuck for the wonderfuly refined mechanics. Holy shit, does this game play good! I played about 200hrs on controller and then switched to keyboard + mouse and both feels fantastic. I kinda want a Splinter Cell game with a Sam Fisher that controls as good as Venom does.
>>
>>337445769

Not all fats are backwards compatible. Check if it has 4 USB ports. If it doesn't, it won't play any game besides PS3.
>>
>>337447983
Do I have to unlock Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 or are they accessable from the get-go? I would like to play the games in release order. I don't think I'm gonna have problems with Metal Gear simply due to it being "old" or "clunky". I just played through the original Metroid a few times and that was fun too.
>>337448017
Thanks, that's a very, VERY handy tip to have if I go hunting for a used fat!
>>
Well, mgsv is not mgs 5 for a reason. It's a game about forgotten heroes and villains. Main twist is not even a twist, it's a message from Kojima.
>>337448110
From the very beginning through mgs3 menu.
>>
>>337447869
I went through 2 fat PS3s.
Funny thing is, my first one didn't break down until like a year ago then the replacement I got almost immediately broke down.

From what I've researched, it seems that it's a time thing. The way they were built was not very good as far as longevity is concerned and a lot of them have been going lately. So while they don't malfunction as fast as the first gen 360s did, they end up having roughly the same fail rate over a longer span of time.

OP should get a slim PS3. They're quiet...er, and while they don't do BC, they also won't run up your electric bill.
>>
>>337447871
>strongest point of 1-4 is the story
hold up now.
MGS strikes the sweet spot of story/mechanics/aesthetics, but story is the least reliable of the trifecta. 1 and 3 are solid stories, but 2 gets wonky at the end and 4 is a convoluted mess despite having 6 feature films worth of cutscenes to resolve it.

V did in fact shit all over the story but it also upheld the franchise's two stronger qualities at that point in the series.

i think what it really fucked up is the pacing. the wonder of the first 3 isn't necessarily the quality of the story but the cinematic quality and pacing between story and gameplay. it was a fuckin action movie. V's story moments are occasionally fun to watch but always awkwardly implemented with shitty integration into the current gameplay happenings. and fuck son, i'm not even talking about Chapter 2.
>>
>>337448219
Yeah I do hear about them breaking alot. Mine has never given me problems though.

PS3 slim is a great option however and easier to hack than most fat models.

Super slim is garbage, had one as a secondary and it got hot and its hdmi broke. Sliding door and cheap look too.
>>
>>337448016
don't count on it bruh. the Fox Engine is perfect. Ubi will never match it. Accept that the Phantom Pain is literally a phantom pain of what would have been THE perfect game
>>
Are the Silent Hill games on the PSN store too? And I'm not taling about the HD re-releases, as they are apparently butchered. If I gotten a fat PS3, I simply could have played the original releases due to backwards compability, but after hearing from you guys that a used fat PS3 may break soon, I'm tending more to a fresh, new slim.

Also thanks for all your recommendations, tips and help. I appreciate it.
>>
>>337448905
just the first one. the rest are in the shite HD collection
>>
>>337448905
Don't get that one though
>>
>>337448905
Well, you better play them on pc, because only option to play normal versions is using ps2 emulator in cfw
>>
>>337449126
>>337449187
>>337449468
Alright, thanks!
>>
File: 20160513_065243.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
20160513_065243.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
I actually know more people that have had their fat SPIDER-STATION 3's break than not. Most of them over the last 2 years curiously, so there must be something that just gives inside the console after a while.

Personally I've never had a problem with my slim PS3 (pic related). Yeah, no backwards compatibility, but anyone that wants to play PS2 games really owes it to themselves to own a PS2 anyway.

I can't speak to the quality of the super slim models. I've heard them described as "cheaply made" though I don't know what that means.

I bought my slim from a Craigslister for $110. No scratches. Works perfectly.
>>
>>337445769
Only the launch models (20GB and 60GB) have PS2 compatability, but the 20GB does not have wi-fi if I remember correctly. Take that for what you will.
>>
File: SH PC Guide - Jan 2016.png (2 MB, 1300x3453) Image search: [Google]
SH PC Guide - Jan 2016.png
2 MB, 1300x3453
>>337446643
My Fat is 9 years old, as still runs fine.

>>337447503
V is like 3rd or 4rd in the Chronological order, depending if you cound Portable Ops canon or not.

That being said, in case of MGS series, it is very, VERY recommended to play all the games in release order. Even when the eras change in the plot, the story evolves in linear fashion throughout the whole series. There's always tons of references, jokes, and foreshadowing to past / future games.

>>337448905
>Are the Silent Hill games on the PSN store too?
No. Only SH1.
Konami really want you to still buy that super crappy "HD Collection". Which you should avoid.
If you wanna play the OG Silent Hill series in REAL HD, without fuck-ups, then play the PC ports. Here's a neat guide for them, and the DL links:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" fix works as a no-cd crack as well, and is included in the pack.

...That being said, if you can get 100% working Fat, go for it. Otherwise, just take a normal Slim.
>>
Also, if you like fast puzzle games with style - take a look at Catherine.
Darkness 1 is also superior shooter to D2.

And as I said earlier, Yakuza is great.
>>
>>337450005
>Silent Hill guide
>Doesn't even mention the first game
What is this shit?
Anyone that truely wants to experience the best SH had to offer needs to start with 1
>>
>>337450286
Read his post, you silly goose.
>>
Avoid the fats at all costs.
Very high fail rate that didn't become apparent until a few years ago.

Go for the slim. Not the super slim.
>>
File: harry mason literature hour.jpg (455 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
harry mason literature hour.jpg
455 KB, 800x600
>>337450286
>I didn't even read, lol!
tl;dr: SH1 still is a pure PS1 exclusive.
Emulate it, or get it from PSN Store / Amazon / Ebay.

That being said, SH1 > all the rest.
>>
File: 1374168701823.png (62 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1374168701823.png
62 KB, 300x300
Ok, I'm bought to drive to the mall. If they have a good deal on a slim PS3, I'm gonna grab it. Thanks for all the advice, guys!
One more question, though: Do all PS3 modells have LAN compability? I'd prefer wired over wireles. It's not that important though, as I'm not buying a PS to play online multiplayer. I need some online though, to download the newest blu-ray-drivers and to buy from the PSN store.
>>337450005
I'm gonna save your post. Thank you for the advice!

Thanks to everyone in this thread. You are awesome.
>>
>>337451458
>If they have a good deal on a slim PS3, I'm gonna grab it.
That'd be a super lucky find. Every single shop around my area only has those terrible PS3 Super Slims, which literally feel like toys.

>Do all PS3 models have LAN compatibility?
At least Fat and Slim do. I didn't even realize that the console had a Wifi until last year.

>'m gonna save your post. Thank you for the advice!
NP! Always happy to spread SH love.
While at it, here's the recommended emulator settings for SH1. Works great on all other games too.

The plugins used are:
-Pete's OpenGL 1.78; (more options & better performance than 2.x version)
-Eternal's SPU Engine.

alternatively, just use a software renderer for very 1:1 PS1-like graphics, including 240p only.
...OR just buy the game from PSN Store for few bucks.
>>
>>337451890
Craigslist has PS3 slims for $150 and under
>>
>>337452067
definitely a good deal.
I grabbed my Slim 120GB back in 2012 for 170€.

It came with 2x DualShock 3s, 2x Guitar Hero sets, HDMI cord, and 5 games installed on the disc (InFamous, Red Nation, GoW3 demo...). Had visibly been collecting dust, and runs great to this day.
>>
Good thing to remember is that there are demos for almost all games on psn.
>>
Not all fats PS3s are backwards compatible. I think only the 60gb
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.