[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I saw a Sonic thread earlier with Sonic 3 and Knuckles being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 12
File: 1363253293296.jpg (93 KB, 612x840) Image search: [Google]
1363253293296.jpg
93 KB, 612x840
I saw a Sonic thread earlier with Sonic 3 and Knuckles being the OP. I had never played this game but apparently its the best game in the series. The only Sonic games I've ever beaten were Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes way back on the Gamecube, enjoyed them but never continued the series after that. Beyond that, I played a couple Sonic demos on the XBOX 360. One was in this kingdom looking area with silvery water, looked nice and reminded me of Adventure 2. The other took place in this beautiful stark white town that strangely resembled Greece and was super fucking fast. All I know about Sonic is that he's supposed to be fast and the old games had whack physics and levels built around them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDxLhEpEat8

So I spent the last hour watching this, since its apparently the best Sonic ever and I have to say I'm thoroughly fucking disappointed. Its slow as shit, the level design rarely compliments the so called praised physics engine, the special stages are an eyesore, and the music was not as good as anything in Sonic Adventure 2 or Heroes. Can someone, a real dedicated Sonic autist, explain why this shit is so praised? I love the design and setting of Sonic but just never made the jump, so I need one of you fuckers to explain this shit to me. If this was my first game and I knew it was as praised as it is, there would be nothing but utter disappointment.
>>
File: sonictism.png (132 KB, 244x231) Image search: [Google]
sonictism.png
132 KB, 244x231
Probably because it's the one everyone played.
>>
>>337424687
Would you call yourself a dedicated Sonic fan/autist? I really want to hear from those guys. Are you saying its as praised as it is because it had the most mass appeal and there's nostalgia linked to it? Is it rare to like 3D Sonic more than the old 2D Sonics?
>>
>>337424465
It's because you weren't under the age of 13 when the game came out
>>
>Maki Horikita is already married
>Ditched the dansou look
>Will never be Hana Kimi cute again

Why even live?..
>>
>>337424869
I was born in 1992, so technically I was. So far two guys have said nostalgia is a heavy factor in the praise for this game. Have these people played it recently or seen videos on it? I refuse to believe this game is considered the height of the Sonic series. Either it really is a shit series or its just MUH NOSTALGIA defending it.
>>
Watching a video of a game is not the same as playing a game.
Just use an emulator and try it. There also a PC version.
>>
>>337425220
I know what you mean, but I watched an average player go through the game. There's not a chance I will be any better and I will go even slower than the video, which is the antithesis of Sonic? Whats the point of his speed gimmick if the levels say fuck you and you have to tiptoe ahead so the camera can see whats coming up? Why not play a good platformer on the SNES instead (back then)?
>>
>>337425397
The 2d games all look slower. But they're still fun. I've only played the Genesis games and some of the 3d ones, like adventure 2, so I can't speak as a "sonic autist". But I wouldn't Judge the original games as garbage just because they're against how sonic is presented now.
Without taking 15 minutes to try them first, at least.
>>
>>337425728
I guess if I have nothing to do and am bored, I'll give it a try. What Genesis emulator do you recommend? Also are there any other 3D Sonic games similar to Adventure 2 and Heroes? I have to play Sonic Adventure 1 at some point, thats on my backlog. What about the ones I mentioned in the op? With the kingdom ruins area and the super fast one in the white town?
>>
>>337424465
I just fucking love the music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF99oeiaznk&list=PL60EFD683648EAABA
>>
>>337425126
I'd say you've hit the nail on the head in all respects
>>
>>337424465
Never played a Sonic game. Are they good in current year?
>>
>>337425968
>Also are there any other 3D Sonic games similar to Adventure 2 and Heroes?

Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 2006

Don't.

There's also Sonic Lost World. It's not 1:1 with the adventure formula but close enough, closer than the Boost series.
>>
>>337424465
the old games are simplistic yet nuanced, the later games tend to lose focus on what actually made the series good in the first place

You sound like someone who enjoys the new games more and if that's the case, then well that's the way you feel. I respect your opinion
>>
the best Sonic game is Sonic Generations, not 3
>>
>>337424465
Who is this semen spewing demon?
>>
>>337424863
When it came out, it was the fastest game out.

It still holds up pretty well if you ignore the game breaking glitches.

But anyone who thinks sonic adventure 2 was a good game isn't worth having a discussion with
>>
>>337424465
Great, now compare it to Sonic 1 which is slower still. Or compare Mario Brothers games from the time of Sonic & Knuckles with modern Mario Brothers games.
>>
>>337424687
i see it, you devious fool
>>
>>337425971
It was ok, but Adventure 2 and Heroes had much better music and covered a variety of instruments. I don't really likw how Genesis games sound.

>>337426162
Nostalgia and shit? I can definitely get behind nostalgia fueled opinions getting in the way but I don't know if I would call the whole series shit. Just...misplaced praise maybe? Adventure and Heroes are fucking great

>>337426257
Sonic 2006, now thats an infamous name. Is the game really that bad? I liked the Sonic demo that had the boost since it gave you full speed whenever you want, but it was up to you to learn the level. It took several tries of replaying it to learn the shortcuts, where to jump etc but it was nice how it switched between 2D and 3D seamlessly and all while moving at the incredible speeds it was moving at

>>337426291
Thanks bud, I know 2D vs 3D is kind of a hot topic with Sonic fans
>>
>>337427213
The problem with Sonic 06 is that it's really fucking obvious that it's a beta they rushed out for Christmas. Glitches, poor levels, and mediocre everything is evident.

Also, if you get the chance, play Colors and Generations, the fanbase is incredibly divided on the 3D games, but most people seem to enjoy those. For 2D, I'd recommend trying Sonic 3 and Knuckles, CD, and the Rush series.
>>
>I heard this game was good
>but I watched a video, didn't play it
>and decided it's shit

nigga just download kega fusion

if you don't like it then that's one thing but don't say a game is bad without actually playing it
>>
>>337424465
Why is dansou so fucking good? Short haired girls in general are great.

Too bad Hana Kimi was mediocre, harems suck even if they're reverse.
>>
>>337427404
I heard it was shit but still, its a few bucks on amazon. Even if it is shit, its worth trying. I don't really know if 2D sonic is my thing. If Sonic and Knuckles 3 is the best of the 2D games, really don't think I can get into it
>>
File: 1459012391533.png (10 KB, 347x444) Image search: [Google]
1459012391533.png
10 KB, 347x444
>>337427213
>Adventure and Heroes are fucking great
>>
File: marryPOPPINS.jpg (47 KB, 500x395) Image search: [Google]
marryPOPPINS.jpg
47 KB, 500x395
>>337424465
>nothing but utter disappointment.

Stopped reading here
>>
>>337424465
>So I spent the last hour watching this
So you have not played the game and you are basing your opinion on how some berk plays a rom with a wireless controller. (Of course that's gonna be fucken slow, m8.) You do not qualify o have an opinion on this game. Play it yourself and form one, you imbecile.
>>
>>337428087
There's really nothing stopping you from actually trying the game on an emulator. Watching simply isn't the same and the games don't ask of a huge time sink for to get going. Stop worrying about buckling down to the whims of nostalgia-ridden Sonic fans.

Just try it then make your opinion there, then literally can tell you otherwise other than the most zealous classic fans, and no one listens to them. Not even the sensible classic fans.

And sure, try Sonic 2006. Everyone should try it just for the sake of it.
>>
>>337429027
*...then literally nothing can tell you...
>>
>>337424465
advance was a whole lot better.
>>
>>337429027
So kega fusion is the way to go? Im not worried about giving into Sonic fans m8. I saw a video of the game in its entirety and it looked bad. What could realistically change with the controller in my hand? The average playthrough of it looks to be quite dull is all im saying.
>>
>>337429624
JUST TRY THE FUCKING GAME HOLY SHIT

It takes 10 minutes to download an emulator, a rom, and try it out, I don't see the point of sitting here and slowly having /v/ convince you to play it with words.
>>
File: 1439967797196.jpg (154 KB, 557x595) Image search: [Google]
1439967797196.jpg
154 KB, 557x595
>>337429867
Easy man...easy. Ill try this god damn game JUST for you, hows that sound?
>>
>>337424465
You have poor taste
>>
>>337424465
Before I even go on your "not muh nostalgia" viewpoints on SA2 and Heroes (kek)
> Using muh rock music as a basic of argument.
Stop. Even though I grew up with Sonic from 2, even I won't say SA2 and especially Heroes has anything memorable in music compared to the other 3D games. You better look to the other 3D Sonic games past Heroes, even 06 has better music at points.
But here's the problem, "it's a old ass game from the 90s that hasn't even broken the boundaries of "Sonic Speed"". Sonic isn't mostly just "muh speed", he's more, he used momentum to gift the player that speed. SA series attempted this, but even those games aren't at the level of the classics. From a 2D to 3D perspective, Classic Sonic goes MUCH faster than SA Sonic. And Heroes doesn't count, it's botched on how it uses it's speed, it's not gained, it's forced. Even more than Modern Sonic today, you were 100% locked to a rail to gain that speed.
Basically, if you grew up on physics in Sonic, you'd understand on why these were praised for their reasons. Case in point; it's the same as saying OoT is shit just because it's not as good as it was to everyone at the time. It's fucking retarded.
>>
>>337432429
I dont agree with that. Sonics draw and marketing is that hes a fast character. There should always be elements of speed and stunts present, you shoudlnt have to earn them. Watch the video and tell me what you see. Because the level design does not compliment this so called momentous design AT ALL
>>
>>337432768
>you shouldn't have to get good to abuse the game's depth
christ mate, i'd hate to see you play Quake
Anyway, the level design is only good if the player's reflexes and skill are up to snuff, something that you won't see accomplished by some youtube faggot on an xbox, using a wireless controller with one of the worst d-pads ever invented by Lucifer himself.
>>
File: strangeisntit.gif (992 KB, 471x347) Image search: [Google]
strangeisntit.gif
992 KB, 471x347
>>337424465
>So I spent the last hour watching this
There's your problem OP, you haven't fucking played it. The 2D games are about actual gameplay instead of the style-over-substance approach that they try (and fail at) with the 3D games. This means you actually have to play it to appreciate it. Also, vid is actually Sonic & Knuckles not S3K, so it's missing half of the game

I can give you some honest reasons for why the game is so good - I'd definitely consider myself "a real dedicated Sonic autist" - but it really would be better if you just played the game yourself
>>
Sonic CD, Knuckles Chaotix, and Sonic Advance 2 are the best 2D sonic games
>>
>>337433943
those are all shite, fuck off you tasteless contrarian
>>
>>337433256
Uh..speed should always be present. Playing as knuckles in SA2 let you move faster than the so called "fast paced platformers of the 90s", and in those levels you were fucking hunting treasure.

Im playing through the game now on and off, in flying battery zone 2 now. Its just as slow and mediocre as the video made it out to be. Tried it with a DS4 and wii u pro pad. This physics gimmick really is ultimately pointless since theres so many sharp 90 degree walls that just halt your progress. Momentum based challenges my ass
>>
>>337433943
>Knuckles Chaotix
>best
That's some edgy opinions bro, it has some of the dankest music and visuals in all of Sonic but it sure as shit doesn't have the gameplay or level design to back it up
>>
>>337434046

Have you even played Knuckles Chaotix?
>>
>>337434071
Dude, are you playing Sonic and Knuckles without Sonic 3? What the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>337434161
Im not playing 2 of these turds linked together. Whats wrong? I thought sonic and knuckles was the best one?
>>
>>337434298
They're two halves of one game, retard. You've dived into the second half without playing the first half, maybe that's why you can't git gud
>>
>>337434131
Yeah, and it's a style-over-substance graphics wanking game meant to sell 32xes and nothing more. The level design is vomit and there's a reason it's only remembered by hipsters.
>>337434071
Knuckles in SA2's gameplay is much slower than Sonic 3, what the fuck are you on?
>>
>>337434395
Nigger please, they play the exact same except theres more probably garbage levels. Im only going through this because an anon convinced me too since apparently these games were the height of Sonic. Im not buying it

>>337434449
Knuckles moved way faster than Sonic does now, how funny
>>
File: 1462134619797.gif (2 MB, 301x353) Image search: [Google]
1462134619797.gif
2 MB, 301x353
>>337434525
>buying
>>
>>337434639
Not buying as in purchase you big dummy...you uh, got some sauce?
>>
>>337424465
You sound like you are extremely underaged.
>>
File: 1434243997418.png (37 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1434243997418.png
37 KB, 625x626
You gave the game away too early OP, I almost indulged you with some hardcore Sonic autism but then I read further into the thread
>Praising Knuckles treasure hunt levels over the 2D games
>Le go fast meme
>Not playing Sonic 3, skipping to Sonic & Knuckles
You were so close
>>
>>337424465
I don't care if you don't like the Genesis games, but the Adventure games and Heroes are fucking clusterfucks of retarded bullshit. They had no idea what they were doing. I'm sick of you faggot's defending them just because they were your first games.
>>
>>337434720
http://i.4cdn.org/f/baby.swf
4u
>>
>>337434725
Sorry grandpa, not everyone is surfing 4chan at 40 and proud like you

>>337434942
No theyre not. Theyre fun adventure games with a lot of interesting ideas and gameplays crammed onto one disc. Its nice being able to have different choices besides hold right and tap a to not run into wall. If you ever wanna explore, theres knuckles. If you want action and blowing shit up for combo streaks, theres tails and eggman. If you want pure speed, you got fucking sonic and shadow. Heroes expands this idea, takes it away in some areas, goes into more depth in others and lets you play as a team. It feels like one big goofy adventure and i love it for its cheesiness, speed, art style, and music

>>337435009
>baby

I was curious but now ill have to pass, god damnit. I just got to sandopolis zone 2, I can already tell this is going to be garbage
>>
File: two-tailed-ricky.jpg (51 KB, 418x314) Image search: [Google]
two-tailed-ricky.jpg
51 KB, 418x314
>>337435220
>Its nice being able to have different choices besides hold right and tap a to not run into wall
are you literally disabled or like

what's up with that
>>
File: 1461962895780.jpg (20 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
1461962895780.jpg
20 KB, 400x386
>>337435220
> Knucklesfag
> Muh teamwork
> Muh Nostalgiabaiter
Different anon here, but fuckboi, I'm done. You just said this in the OP;
> The only Sonic games I've ever beaten were Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes way back on the Gamecube, enjoyed them but never continued the series after that.
Which I thought meant you haven't played those games in a long time yet you're clearly cocksucking those games to fucking hell like Shadowfags of their game. Fuck off with this bait, you're just here to shitpost the classic shit for no reason. I grew up with Sonic 2 and Sonic 3&K, and I can say, I love SA2 as a teen, but Unleashed BTFO of those games by a mile. You can't nostalgiabait me with this, I like both classic and modern games but SA2 is really overrated being said as "Great". It's ok, but not fucking polished as Sonic 2, 3, and Unleashed+ to Generations.
>>
>>337435220
I don't want a scavenger hunt, and I don't want to hold fucking B to kill everything in a mech. I wanted a competently designed platformer developed around one core style of gameplay, and for over a decade they couldn't make a game without a bunch of padding and bullshit. That'd be like if half of Super Mario 64 played like Mario Tennis.

I'll admit Heroes was a step on the right direction on that regard, but it has so many flaws that's it's not much of an improvement. Even Unleashed, what a lot of people claim as the first "good" Sonic in a while, is such a slog; the length of the Werehog levels, the pointless hub that basically acts as a road block half the time, the medals, etc. really drag the game down.

Say what you will about Colors, Generations, and Lost World, but they at least trimmed the fat.
>>
>>337435723
I replay SA2 and Heroes quite often, every october. And throughout the year I hop on and play a few levels here and there. I dont even know what the fuck unleashed and generations is m8, you're barking up the wrong tree.

>>337435885
I dont mind other styles of gameplay in a game, its a pretty novel and rarely used idea. Keeps the series moving forward and innovative, unlike mario which has stopped branching out and has become as generic as ever in the last few years. Again with this Unleashed game, i dont know what this shit is. Whatever it is your ass is sore about, werehog, medals, hubs, whatever the fuck...none of it can be worse than the atrocity that was sandpolis zone 2.

I cant play any more of this god forsaken game right now. Sonic and Knuckles is putrid dog shit and a chore to slog through. Every time you think youre going fast? Haha nope! A wall or spikes crush you to death.

Ill respect your guys and apparently the mass opinion that these are "Sonic at his best" but its not for me. Please recommend me some fucking 3D sonic games that are fast and/or have an alternate gameplay here and there to mix things up. 2D games are fine too if theyre actually fucking fast
>>
>>337436341
unleashed is a locked 30 fps bundle of wasted opportunity with either mediocre level design or stupid boost mechanics depending on whether you're playing on X360/PS3 or Wii/PS2
generations is pretty good i guess
both games are leagues above every other 3d sonic game if that means anything
>>
>>337436341
>Please recommend me some fucking 3D sonic games that are fast and/or have an alternate gameplay here and there to mix things up. 2D games are fine too if theyre actually fucking fast
Sonic Colors, Unleashed and the Rush series sound right up your alley if you don't have the patience to git gud at real Sonic, they're all pretty good 'dumb fun' experiences
>>
File: 1309522441932.png (789 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1309522441932.png
789 KB, 1280x720
>>337436696
Hold the fuck on, unleashed is that demo I played in the white city. That game was goat, whats wrong with it? 30fps doesnt bother me

>>337436818
Thanks bud, youre a real nigga for getting straight to it
>>
>>337436921
>whats wrong with it
50% of the game is a shit beat-em-up and as I said, you have to deal with either worse level design or weird mechanics depending on version
I'd honestly argue that the Wii/PS2 version is more worth it, mostly because both consoles aren't hard to pirate for but also because the main issue is the stupid boost mechanics which won't bother someone who hasn't been introduced to the vastly superior other kind of boost
>>
>>337436921
>Thanks bud, youre a real nigga for getting straight to it
no problem familia, also based on your posts it sounds like you've played Adventure 2 but not Adventure 1? I'd definitely play the first adventure if I were you, aside from Big The Cat's campaign and a slightly less stable engine, I'd argue that it's leagues above Adventure 2
>>
>>337436921
That demo is like a fourth of the game. The rest is a beat 'em up that overstays its welcome and padding up the ass.
>>
>>337437135
>>337437294
I suppose its a good thing beat em ups are one of my favorite genres then right? So how does that work? How does it go from super fast to beat em up? Do these beat em up levels have traditional level design with platforming or exploration? Or are you just like put in an arena and have to smash shit up?

And no offense to that wii/PS2 version, didn't even know it existed, but it looks like complete ass compared to the 360 one. Theres no the fucking wii could make graphics that good or produce speed that intense.

>>337437169
Yeah man I have adventure 1 in my backlog, but I just never got around to it. I think im gonna put other games aside and just zero in on a few sonic games for the next few weeks. Ill play through adventure 1 while Unleashed and Colors come in the mail. I have to go to bed now cause Im a wagecuck, but thanks for this fun thread guys. Yes, I'll even fucking beat sonic and knuckles even though I'm not liking it so far. Good night niggas
>>
>>337437991
The levels are long platforming with pretty slow combat (and kinda clunky) combat Werehog also feels and plays really heavy.
The Wii/PS2 version is shorter, lacks the hubs, some other shit.
>>
File: plebs.png (119 KB, 468x230) Image search: [Google]
plebs.png
119 KB, 468x230
>>337424465

Sonic games were never about speed, they were about momentum-based platforming. Speed was just a means of progressing through the level, and reaching certain paths. It wasn't there for its own sake like in Sonic Adventure. One reason why it's loved is because you spent the entire time actually fucking playing instead of watching Sonic running on rails like a fucking autist.
>>
>>337437991
>Theres no the fucking wii could make graphics that good or produce speed that intense.
hilariously enough, the Wii/PS2 version actually runs way better, it at least sticks to its lock instead of slowing down every five seconds like the next-gen versions
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.