[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me a good or an 'alright' mmorpg.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 12
File: 95648965.jpg (13 KB, 269x187) Image search: [Google]
95648965.jpg
13 KB, 269x187
Give me a good or an 'alright' mmorpg.
>>
D&DOnline.
>>
>>337393340
habbo hotel
>>
>>337393806
>D&DOnline.
Is it free?
>>
>>337393340
Currently? None.

Previously? Ultima Online
>>
>>337393883

Yeah.
>>
>>337393945
Come one man. Just give me something. There must be a good one currently.
>>
>>337393340
They're all shit.
>>
>>337394017
There truly aren't.

You can go try Tree of Savior but it's beyond fucked in p2w shit to the point where it hurts.

You could try some indie shit like RPG MO but the communities are garbage and the content is trash.

Every MMO is thinly veiled p2w these days with a severe lack of content as well.
>>
>>337393340
City of Hero--fuck
>>
>>337393340
Old School Ruinscape
>>
FFXIV is okay nowadays.
>>
Blade and Soul is a decent time waster.
>>
>>337394002
And it's not just extremely mediocre at best? I mean gameplay wise.
>>337394148
I know that most of them are but I believe there may be still good ones.
>>337394245
Tfw when I always wanted to play that as a kid but it was apparently so bad that it went down immediatly.
>>
>>337393340
PSO2 if you arent a complete retard at setting up Japanese games
>>
File: shrug.jpg (13 KB, 276x440) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
13 KB, 276x440
Wildstar
>>
>>337394410

>And it's not just extremely mediocre at best? I mean gameplay wise.

Considering I have no idea what you consider is 'mediocre', I have no idea.
>>
>>337394410
Well if you find one let me know, cause it doesn't exist, I'm one of the many people who have been playing MMOS since 2000~ and are constantly looking at the new Western/Japanese/Korean ones for hope and failing to find it.

One tip I'll give you is that when you see future promises don't believe them, ever.

>>337394673
This game is shit AND dead.
>>
Wakfu
>>
>>337394002
>>337393883
>>337393806
DDO was great once. I dunno if it's still playable as a new player. Epic levels fucked it all up.
It's not "free" - it's designed around adventure packs that are like miniature expansions. Buy once, own permenantly. Subscription is also available.
>>
>>337393340
runescape
>>
>>337394809

Wildstar's not that bad at all. At least in Wildstar you can literally start getting Omnibits from the start of the game to buy shit from the microtransaction store.

You want shit AND dead AND locks away skill bars and shit? SWTOR.
>>
>>337394809
>This game is shit
How? It has an active combat system, a ton of locations, and a surprisingly good player house system
>AND dead
fair
>>
>>337394673

Game plays OK and is styled nicely. can be comfy if binged

tbqh OP you may as well go to OS Runescape if you want an OK experience that isnt dead
>>
>>337394856

Been a while since I've played (stopped when it went free to play, actually). Didn't know about this. I figured you could at least get to max level without paying.
>>
File: Capture.png (193 KB, 573x579) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
193 KB, 573x579
As upcoming leader of the 15 year old Bear Clan, you're more than welcome to come try out Nexus:TK.

It's an old mmo, but it's still alive for good reason. Wonderful community that loves to see new faces.
>>
>>337394856
Does it still do that dumb shit where you have to pay real money for health potions? I hated that shit.
>>
>>337395184

I think they have health potions dropping in-game though... I'm sure they try and sell them but health potions aren't rare I think.

Now MP potions were rare and I knew they sold those. But Hell you never needed those either if you managed your MP properly.
>>
>>337395085
Not a chance m8.

Nah, I love the game, and I love the business model, I think it's the best of any mmo.
But with epic destinies, every build feels the goddamn same, and you need multiple past lives to play some core builds like just a normal wizard. The designers have lost control of the game.

>>337395184
Well it still has a cash shop, yeah, but you never HAD to pay real money for health potions. It was in there as an option for people who ran out of supplies mid-quest and were willing to pay to keep going. They were by and large a rip-off, and so didn't affect the game because nobody used them since you could just buy potions in game cheaply between quests.
>>
>>337395090
Wait is this also paid? Sounds promising.
>>
>>337395351
Hm. Maybe I was thinking of mana potions then. All I remember from playing it way back was really looking forward to getting to those weird gold wells because I could never get potions of *something* without paying real money
>>
>>337395356

Oh God damn, that's hard to hear. I loved the game back in the day before pay to play. Once they started selling +2 tomes I was out, though.
>>
>>337395485
Yep, $10 subscription. It predates free to play games, after all.

There's a free trial, but unless payment is at least an option I wouldn't recommend it. It's a walled-in newbie area that does a terrible job of selling the game; we need to get it removed.

But the fact that the developers are still working on it really speaks for it. Take a look at this - http://boards.nexustk.com/DreamWeaver/wony04131233.html
Heartwarming.
>>
>>337395184
>>337394856
So, is it good? Cause finding a gameplay video on youtube nowadays is just struggling.
>>
>>337395530
The shop has mana potions, and people do buy them, probably. Clutch for bad healers / bad groups, they're never necessary. They also drop in-game not infrequently and are tradable. Most people carry pots they find and offer them to casters in need if the group's in danger of failing a run.
>>
>>337395740
I'd pay for it though I don't have a creditcard. Do they accept 'paysafe'?
>>
Op here. How about any of this list: http://www.gamesradar.com/best-mmorpg/
This wushu game looks promosing as
>>
>>337395823

It was good when I played it. Really emphasized group play, managing resources and had nice crowd-control options for spellcaster types.

You'll find that getting from level 2-20 will be all about group content for the most part. Unless they fucked that up too.
>>
>>337395823
It was always a bit janky with the animations, but I found it hella fun in its day. It's a pretty fun game with friends, since it's more like vindictus than a traditional mmo. 6 player instanced quests, 12 player raids. Also kinda works solo, but I never found that much fun.
>>
>>337396178
promising.*
>>
>>337396224
Thing is, the people who still play are uber as fuck using past life characters who aren't remotely challenged by elite content. Nobody forms groups for levelling anymore, everyone solos everything. Groups that do happen feel like coincidence since everyone goes at whatever pace. Kinda killed the feeling for me to be honest. Miss it like hell.
But there's just no groups in game anymore until endgame.
>>
File: options.png (18 KB, 697x255) Image search: [Google]
options.png
18 KB, 697x255
>>337396075
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>337396178
Only good game on that list is TSW and it's not an MMORPG.

Aion - Old, grindy, went 'f2p' but is boring nothing raelly set it apart.
DCUO - Not even as good as MH but to be fair MH is an ARPG. DCUO is okay for a week or so then it gets boring fast, raids are lackluster as they come, it's another "Do it once, did it a hundred times" MMO
Neverwinter - Early p2w was laughably bad, I don't believe it's changed. It was interesting enough but failed in combat/etc being generic/boring.
EVE - Lots of time to get into, can be considered good, but yeah.
Rift - 'WoW Killer' like Aion
ESO - DoA, trash
SW:TOR - If you don't know why this is shit and think it's good, give up on MMOs, the fact that this is top 10 on this list proves they were paid to put this up.
GW2 - Cool idea, but not that great, quests/etc got super fucking boring/generic REALLY fast.
FFXIV - If you like that kind of game try for it, but they make MMOs feel even MORE grindy imo, FFXI was fucking terrible too.
>>
>>337396378

So they really made it possible to solo everything? Sheesh... guess they figured they were getting no new players and just cater to current ones.
>>
>>337396703
Furthremore the fact that WoW was #1 on this list speaks fucking volumes for how bad the people who made it are and that they are almost certainly either rose tinted glasses fags who got their accounts for free as journalists and played the first week/month only, or are shills.
>>
>>337396715
The quests didn't change in difficulty -
Past lifers have slight bonuses from reincarnating, but otherwise it's just player knowledge and skill. The game is actually just really easy when you play perfectly.

I can solo most things on elite even on a first lifer - I just don't enjoy it. I enjoyed the comaraderie of a group taking a beating and pulling through.
>>
>>337396891

Dang, I thought the game actually had fairly group-required content but if anyone can solo Deleras tomb on their own maybe it's easier than i thought.
>>
>>337396703
How about lotr online? You forgot some. Lotr online seems kinda nice.
>>
>>337397338
I mean, most people will take a cleric hireling along for health. But sure, just about any build can solo deleras, though rogues would struggle without sneak attack.
>>
>>337397508

Oh fuck I forgot you can get hirelings now.

Do they ever run out of MP?
>>
>>337397651
They can, but unless you've picked one that likes to spam offensive spells they usually don't.
>>
>>337393340
mmos are all shit by definition
>>
>>337393340

Tera is worth two weeks of fun.
>>
>>337398264
That's not good :(.

It doesn't matter how crappy the graphics or how old it is.
>>
>>337398365

Tera offers some fun combat up until level 35. It's ok as far as MMO's go.
>>
>>337398365

was >>337396485 no good? You can use paysafe through paymentwall, it looks like.
>>
>>337398932
>was >>337396485 no good? You can use paysafe through paymentwall, it looks like.
Oh. Yeah the game seems nice. I could buy it tomorrow. Good to know about the paysafe.
>>
File: nexustk.png (177 KB, 715x500) Image search: [Google]
nexustk.png
177 KB, 715x500
>>337399229
Well, I mean, do spend a little time in the free tutorial before you shell out.

If you end up trying, drop me - Astrael - a letter in-game. By tradition the Bear clan only accepts Warriors and Poets, but there's plenty of other clans who'd be happy to have you if you wanted to play Mage or Rogue.
>>
>>337393340
Dead Frontier is an alright MMO if you like hack and slash crystal cannons and zombies
>>
Ragnarok
>>
>>337395090
That game was a complete shitshow when it came out of beta and the years following that until I stopped paying attention. I would hope it's under new leadership by now at least.
>>
>>337400624
>when it came out of beta
So, what, 17 years ago?

But yes, it's no longer part of Nexon.
Always thought it was funny that they let their namesake go like that.
>>
>>337396703
>FFXIV - If you like that kind of game try for it, but they make MMOs feel even MORE grindy imo, FFXI was fucking terrible too.

Shit taste, ignore this entire post gentlemen.
>>
>>337401548

FFXI was pretty bad for the amount I played it. I mean, it was decent, but having to group up to kill little rock lizards wasn't very heroic

I'm not even complaining about group content. Just killing a little lizard is anticlimactic.
>>
>>337401959
Sounds like you're complaining about group content.

[sniff sniff]

You smell like a casual.
>>
>>337402095

If you had to group up to kill some dragons or something, that's fine. But I feel a player should be able to kill a lizard no problem.
>>
>>337402095

Oh, you're one of those 'hardcore' losers who doesn't even play for fun anymore. How's that working out for you? Do you have a date set for your next raid? When all of you know you'll have nothing better to do? :^)
>>
File: 828381.jpg (333 KB, 500x812) Image search: [Google]
828381.jpg
333 KB, 500x812
Come back in like 2 years.
>>
>>337402273
>if you had to group up to kill a dragon

You do.

>a player should be able to kill a lizard no problem

Yes, why should someone have trouble fighting a lizard that shits fireballs and critical hits?

Fucking casuals.

>>337402385
How's sitting in your fucking garrison working out for you champ
>>
>>337393340

What's going to be the next big thing then?
MMOs are dead, there's no reviving them at this point.
>>
>>337393806
the worst kind of P2W

go fuck yourself for advertising this to anyone
>>
>>337402642

>Yes, why should someone have trouble fighting a lizard that shits fireballs and critical hits

Well, considering there are players who can throw fireballs ice and lightning I'd say they're at least on equal terms.
>>
>>337402642

>Implying I play MMOs

Why would I play MMOs? They're not even fun.
>>
>>337402840
>equal terms

How is a level 10 player on equal terms with a level 19 lizard?
>>
Is Tree of Savior good?
Been playing for a bit and the combat isn't point and click at least.
The world just feels pointless and empty though.
It's also very linear.
Does it get any better?
>>
>>337403002

How about a level 19 player and a level 19 lizard?
>>
>>337403081
My thief could solo every NM in the game so you figure it out man.
>>
>>337400934
1997 is when I started. And I don't know how much Nexon would have been a problem, it was always more that the devs/GMs were complete divas. Here's a sizzle-reel of shame:
Threatening/banning players that used text commands to purchase items from NPCs "too quickly".
Threatening/banning players that were grinding exp for using debuffs on mobs when another player would enter the screen and mess up the tab order(being hit by the debuff), but refusing the change the ability to not hit players.
Throwing fits when players would ignore some game event, and add a component to it where an important NPC would get kidnapped with the threat that if players didn't go do the event *now* to go save them, they'd lose that NPC's function forever.
Deciding that since mages are allowed to attack at a distance, they require 2.5x the exp needed by any other class to reach max level.
Deciding that mages weren't bleeding from the ass enough, they changed higher mage spells to have exponentially worse damage/mana ratios on top of being weaker than other class' attacks.
Wiping everyone's money/items because a couple dozen people found a way to dupe money for a few hours, instead of doing a simple rollback or just tracing the shit those players did.
Doing everything in their power to force players to join clans.
In a grid-based game that often had entrances to new maps in vaguely marked spots, got pissy when player asked for new areas because not every 1x1 unmarked entrance in the middle of who-fucking-knows-where had been stepped on to find a couple rooms that weren't used for shit other than a few mobs.
Would flip their shit when people didn't want to participate in the GM's RP.

Presentation bonus: The game didn't even have its own music, it played a handful of crappy midis of classical songs. They fixed this at least, right?

Bring back the original rabbit sprite.
>>
>>337402419

I wish they never bothered with the minecraft shit and made the gameMordred style FFA instead, but yeah it's just about the only thing on the horizon
>>
>>337403339

What year was this?
>>
>>337393340
elder scrolls online

leans more on a single player online game tho
>>
File: stog.png (279 KB, 853x1045) Image search: [Google]
stog.png
279 KB, 853x1045
Star Trek Online, if you like Star Trek.

I just want /stog/ back ;_;
>>
File: Elder Tale.jpg (2 MB, 1806x3797) Image search: [Google]
Elder Tale.jpg
2 MB, 1806x3797
>>337393340
Elder Tale.
>>
>>337397469
I left out those not in the top 10. Lotr is 'okay' if that's what you're into, but it's definteily different. It has some downsides but it's not absolutely pure shit like most of the rest.

>>337401548
If you like FFXIV or FFXI your taste is shit and you're probably a Squeenix fanboy. The onyl good Square Enix MMO is the DQX one that's not in English/USA yet.
>>
>>337406635
>that's not in English/USA yet

Nor will it ever be. Yoshi P is going to rape it and restructure it into a WoW clone before it ever comes to the states.

Also XI is the elder god of MMOs and the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole. If you talk shit you out yourself as having no taste at all or having been too young to have played it in its prime.

Either way your opinion is invalid.
>>
>>337406635
>yet

KEK

HAHAHA

Why no localization SE? WHY?!
>>
guild wars 2

its free to play, probably the best free mmo out there.
>>
>>337407192
>too young to have played it in its prime

Nice try youngin, the game isn't even that old as far as MMos go and it was almost as shit as WoW. IT was just another garbage theme park hand holder 'wow muh raid' MMO the only difference being weebs could use their bullshit strings to talk to lonely japboys/girls.

It will never get an official release in US that's correct, not in any meaningful form, but that doesn't mean that someone won't try shenanigans like are already underway on console.
>>
>>337407192

I played it when it first came out.

The only people who think it's good are the ones who feel 'accomplished' by grinding out content for epic gear.
>>
>>337396178
Run away from Wushu. As someone that spent plenty of time and money I can tell you that you will never overcome the power gap. Go and stay go from it.
>>
>>337394845
kek.
>>
>>337405476
THF/RDM could literally solo every NM in the game all the way back in zilart. Same with RDM/NIN. BST and SMN also had an easy time soloing even match and higher.

You not being about to solo was simply because you weren't strong enough, weren't rich enough and weren't experienced enough because people who played basic classes still managed to solo if they chose to.

>>337407382
>>337407576
Opinion discarded.

Also the DQX boat has sailed. Unless they release US ONLY servers with the game simply translated and not defiled to resemble WoW nobody with any decency will care.

>feel accomplished by grinding gear

What the fuck else is there to do in MMOs? You get in a party, you get some gear, you go to town and show off. That's an MMORPG. Fuck you casual shits.
>>
>>337407903
No, that's what a CASUAL MMO that no one gives a fuck about is. People like you are part of the reason MMOs are just 'WoW killers' and 'FFXI Clones'.

Shitter.

"Hurr my first MMO was WoW's only competition so I know a thing or two" - the retard that is you
>>
swtor if you pretend it's kotor 3 and play it without interacting with other players.
>>
>>337408050
1/10

Try harder.
>>
File: greenlexluthor.png (213 KB, 321x306) Image search: [Google]
greenlexluthor.png
213 KB, 321x306
>>337408173
>>
>>337407903

>THF/RDM could literally solo every NM in the game all the way back in zilart

Okay what about when the game first launched, back when I actually played?
>>
>>337408281
Did paralyze exist?
>>
>>337394973
>You want shit AND dead AND locks away skill bars and shit? SWTOR.

Huh? I have all my skills keybinded as a fury warrior without buying any of the extra bars.
>>
what about black desert?
>>
>>337407903
>You get in a party, you get some gear, you go to town and show off. That's an MMORPG. Fuck you casual shits.

can you stop?
>>
>>337406123
>>>/vg/141967531
>>
>>337408430
Stop what? Telling the truth?
>>
>>337407903

>What the fuck else is there to do in MMOs? You get in a party, you get some gear, you go to town and show off. That's an MMORPG.

lol is that what people are doing while they're afk? I don't even notice them as individuals I just notice they're not doing anything, often standing in the same place after I get back from doing something.
>>
File: 1429736185228.jpg (39 KB, 300x314) Image search: [Google]
1429736185228.jpg
39 KB, 300x314
>>337408789
>those guys who have better gear than me are clearly less productive

Yeah, I'm sure you never noticed.
>>
>>337409026
Never seen faggots who just ride their guild the whole way?

If you don't have top tier DPS you're this faggot.
>>
>>337409026

I'd say that standing around hoping for senpai to notice you is less productive than paying the game, yeah.
>>
>>337409157
Stop projecting.

>>337409269
How is it that someone that has more gil and better gear is less productive than you?
>>
>>337393340
Aura Kingdom. It's a very decent MMO. Ain't the best but it's very comfy. Personally it's my favourite.
>>
Dragon's Dogma Online was fun but it's got some pretty shitty area grind. Still interesting if you have friends to play with.
>>
>>337409357

Hypothetical situation time.

I start an MMO. I get from level 1-25 that week.

Other guy, who has been playing for 2 years and has the best gear and millions of gold, has been spending that week standing around in town for hours at a time chatting with guildmates and doing nothing else.

I would say the former was more productive that week than the latter.
>>
>>337409832
>I started late.

This is the flaw in your argument.
>>
File: Maple_story.png (47 KB, 719x448) Image search: [Google]
Maple_story.png
47 KB, 719x448
>>337393340
Used to be good but not anymore
>>
>>337409357
Streamer girls are more productive than me in vidya games.

Got it.

Guy who plays since launch and I've only played 1 week is more productive than me in vidya.

Got it.

Guy who has friend who runs a big guild and thus just joins in raids and gets drops that aren't needed with minimal work otuside of that is more productive than me.

Got it.
>>
>>337409989

Well the flaw in your argument is that you're saying someone who is literally doing nothing is more productive than someone doing something.
>>
>>337410358
Actually if you're like 12 it's probably the best game still. Problem is it just doesn't age gracefuly if you've played it before. If you've never played it I suggest it however as it's got some of the smoothest gameplay in a 2DMMO if not the smoothest. Play big bang/reboot/whatever though so it's not as p2w.
>>
File: 1463097167502.jpg (375 KB, 1032x760) Image search: [Google]
1463097167502.jpg
375 KB, 1032x760
>>337393340
while y'all are at it, give me a good mmorpg for PS4 that ISN'T FFXIV
>>
>>337410358
>>337410667
How do I get back into it to play it like it was before 2011? I really enjoyed the comfy simplicity of pre big bang Maplestory but the current form is nothing like it. I'm not really looking to invest my life into it again but I would like to take a decent tour through my childhood.
>>
So, with the general opinion in this thread being that there are no MMOs that are (A)Good and (B)Not dead I'll ask this instead. Are there any good communities or servers for games that people could recommend, since that was the main appeal of MMOs to me in the first place. Only one I ever felt like I was a part of an actual community where people had actual allies and enemies and the world had a history to it was miner apocalypse on Minecraft but that's long gone now.
>>
>>337410856
Not sure, I played it back in 2003-2007~ or so, you could try pServs but you probably won't find it to be perfect to the time you wanted it.

I'd just suggest skipping it or checking out that reboot shit since at least the p2w is to a minimal.

Private servers are also an option but a lot of them are very 'donation' boost hungry.
>>
>>337410554
>Streamer girls are more productive than me in vidya games.

Do they have more gil and better gear? Do they play more than you?

>Guy who plays since launch and I've only played 1 week is more productive than me in vidya.

If he has more gil and better gear he is more productive than you in that video game.

>Guy who has friend who runs a big guild and thus just joins in raids and gets drops that aren't needed with minimal work otuside of that is more productive than me.

If he has better gear than yes, he's more productive.

>>337410637
If the person has been more productive then they're more productive. 1+1=2
>>
The Secret World so you can shitpost on /v/ while playing games
>>
>>337393340
>asking for the impossible
>>
>>337411001

We're not talking about being more productive 'before'. We're talking about productivity of standing around waiting for losers to notice your shit armor. How productive is that, friend?
>>
Gilgamesh, Leviathan, Chocobo, Excalibur, Hyperion, and Balmung servers on FFXIV are so full that there's a queue to login in the evening and towns like Idyllshire and Limsa are filled with people that it lags my gaming PC I built 3 years ago.
>>
>>337411165
No, you twisted the subject to fit your stupid argument.
>>
>>337410953
I could somewhat recommend the Osu! community. I don't play Osu, I don't enjoy Osu, however I've joined their discord communities and they're pretty good.
>>
>>337411332
Sadly, it wouldn't feel as right trying to fit in to a community for a game I didn't enjoy, and Osu is one of those games. Though I suppose it wouldn't hurt to stop by and check it out.
>>
>>337411306

No, you had a stupid argument to begin with. Someone talks about how they just see people doing nothing in town, and you sperg out and accuse them of insinuating they're being less productive.

Well yeah standing around doing nothing is less productive than doing something. Basic laws of the universe.
>>
>>337411293

Those towns are full because no one has anything to do and the game doesn't kick them out for being afk.
>>
>>337411541
Yeah I know what you mean, I'm not super active there but the people there are somewhat cool. The /vg/ general discords have been terrible that I've checked so far. The /tosg/ one was fucking gay and full of cuteposters that derail shit cause "Lol I can", and /owg/ so far isn't terrible but whatever. There's a 4chan one it's pretty bad but that's not surprising.
>>
>>337411567
Doing nothing and having better shit.

Try and keep up, youngster.
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.