[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never played a CRPG before. Where should I start with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
I've never played a CRPG before. Where should I start with this genre?

I was thinking Wasteland 2 or Fallout 1&2 but I don't really think I want that sort of atmosphere.

What are the best of the best in this genre that have aged well and or are modern?
>>
>>337392878
Fallout 1/2 are the easiest to start with. BG2 is my favorite though.
>>
>>337392878
Definitely Divinity: OS
>>
Sword coast legends is the only game I've returned for a refund on steam.
>>
>>337393206
That was what I was looking at the most. It seems faithful to the genre but also modern enough to ease me into the genre gently .
>>
>>337393206
Maybe with a friend. He'll probably get bored if he's alone though.
>>
>>337392878
I started with neverwinter nights 1, so i tend to recommend it. (NOT THE ORIGINAL CAMPAIGN, PLAY THE EXPANSIONS)
It has aged well for a 3d game, i love the spell effects.
>>
>>337393305
The gameplay is very good, but not the first thing people think of when they hear CRPG.
Also the story is kind of ass.

Still a good game.
>>
>>337392878
Depends on the settings you're looking for. Personally, I got into crpgs with Fallout 1 and it had a great atmosphere
>>
>>337392878
I'd recommend starting with Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines.
>>
>>337393789
I generally get sucked into fantasy stuff the most. I'm still heavily considering Fallout though.

I want something with really good story.
>>
What about Pillars of the Eternity? Is it any good?
>>
>I want pure akshun
Icewind Dale 1/2, Temple of Elemental Evil, Divinity:OS
>I want pure akshun but I also want waifus
Baldurs Gate 1/2
>I want a story
Fallout 1, Planescape:Torment
>I want roleplay and choice-based gameplay
Arcanum, Fallout 2

You should probably start with Fallout series. First game is incredibly entertaining and accessible, second has shitting bricktons of content, both boast amazing writing and freedom
>>
>>337396386
Not as good as the Infinity Engine games
>>
>>337393330
Divinity:OS > Underrail > Wasteland 2 > Pillars of Eternity >>>> Shadowrun games (they are not fun, end of story) >>>>>>< Age of Trash
>>
>>337393330
Why do people say that divinity:os is boring solo? It got me completely hooked and I finished it in a week.
>>
>>337392878
>Sword Coast Legends
>company went bust because of it
D&D has the death touch
>>
>>337398824
Because RPing with yourself is boring
>>
>Fallout 1&2 but I don't really think I want that sort of atmosphere
Might and Magic VI then.
It has a light-hearted atmosphere but still interesting world to explore, it's funny, not too hard or complex and it's a must-play classic anyway so a good place to start I'd say.
If it has to be more modern, play Divine Divinity before Original Sin. It's a crpg (quests with multiple solutions, puzzles, big dungeons, open world, dialogue heavy) combined with easy Diablo 2 combat/itemization and great music.
>>
>>337396786
>I want pure akshun but I also want waifus
>BG
>story
>not BG
>but fucking fallout with its cereal box level story
???
>>
>>337400245
>Might and Magic VI then.
>ease me into the genre gently .
the only harder way to enter would be to hack off his hands and gouge out his eyes and plug his ears with them.
MM6 is horrible to start for people who know nothing, heck, it is horrible even if you have played mm7-10...
>>
>>337396786
Putting Fallout and Planescape in the same category gives the impression that the games are similar when they are not at all. Also BG1 doesn't have any romances whatsoever and BG2 has only 4.
>>
>>337400803
I don't understand. Care to explain what's so complicated about it in your eyes?
I'd say you don't need any genre experience to play it.
I recommended it because it was my first crpg actually, and I had a lot of fun and it got me into other stuff as well.
>>
>>337392878
>Wasteland 2
This is a terrible idea. Wasteland 2's character creation is way too much for a beginner. Picking stats for 4 different characters as opposed to most game's 1 is just a nightmare.
>>
>>337392878
A Dance with Rogues
>>
>>337404084
Any particular reason to go with this one?
>>
>>337404741
Definitely don't go with ADWR until you at least understand basic 3E rules.
>>
File: EoCApp 2014-07-02 23-41-52-66_1.jpg (727 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
EoCApp 2014-07-02 23-41-52-66_1.jpg
727 KB, 1920x1080
>>337404741
I'm kidding, it's an adult mod for neverwinter, it's pretty nice but you might as well play the real game first.
Play DivOS with a friend, it's great fun.

>tfw this part with me holding the book while my friend is talking with the troll
>>
File: 3234325535.png (317 KB, 1195x1132) Image search: [Google]
3234325535.png
317 KB, 1195x1132
>>337392878

If you want an up to date game that's very invested in story then try Pillars of Eternity, otherwise go with Divinity: OS if you like puzzles, combat mechanics, and eye-candy.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.