[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw Genesis has the best console WRPG and JRPG of the '90s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: genrpgs.jpg (455 KB, 689x505) Image search: [Google]
genrpgs.jpg
455 KB, 689x505
>mfw Genesis has the best console WRPG and JRPG of the '90s
Why did people say SNES was the better system for RPG's, again?
>>
>>337330886
It also had games that weren't just platformers and RPGs.
>>
>>337330886
I still think Chrono Trigger is better than PSIV.
SNES also has a lot more great RPGs overall. Phantasy Star is good, but they're pretty much the only RPGs on the Genesis, and PSII and PSIII were really not that great.

SNES has shit like SMT, Earthbound, Tales of Phantasia, Live-A-Live, Breath of Fire, FF6, etc. There's a lot more to choose from.

I've never played Shadowrun though, so I can't really comment on that
>>
>>337330886
But Wizardry 6 and SMT II were on SNES.
>>
>>337330886
The snes shadow run is infinitely better.
>>
>>337330886
>Shadowrun is better than 90s CRPGs
>>
File: 1457861650056.jpg (8 KB, 250x238) Image search: [Google]
1457861650056.jpg
8 KB, 250x238
>>337331946
>>
>>337332121
It is. Do you want to play an rpg or an isometric action shooter?
>>
>Surging Aura will never be translated in English.
>>
>>337332270
>saying the Genesis version was just a shooter while the SNES version was a true RPG
That's like saying the SNES version was just a point-and-click and the Genesis version was a true RPG
>>
>>337332437
The Sega version is an action game with rpg elements. So long as you can out flank, you win.
The snes version is an rpg. Your dialog choices, critical thinking, character building, and combat are all much better and it has an RNG Based off of your stats instead of just shooting shit.
Roll the dice mother fuckers.
>>
>>337331496
>I've never played Shadowrun though, so I can't really comment on that
Shadowrun was the best ARPG of the generation
My personal ranking of RPGs for the era is:
1. Shadowrun (genesis)
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Mario RPG
>>
>>337332683
>critical thinking
Considering a good portion of the game is point-and-click no shit it would have a lot of critical thinking. It dosen't mean the Genesis version is devoid of thought, you still have to balance things like what build are you going for, how much should you spend on teammates/supplies, what software to use when hacking, etc.
>turn based combat is better than shooting
That's more a problem with your shit taste
>character building
The Genesis version has 3 different classes and 20 different ability levels. I'd hardly say it's worse than the SNES version
>RNG is now an amazing design choice
this is news to me
>dialog choices are much better in the SNES version
I see you haven't actually played the Genesis version. It has more dialog, and it's not censored
>>
>>337334007
Rng are a huge part in making a good rpg and there lacking in most modern games is why there hasn't been a good one in years. Especially in a ttg adaptation.
>>
>>337334370
RNG was used because it was the best way to handle combat on paper. Computer games allow for more dynamic action so RNG is not always necessary. Some games still benefit from RNG, such as turn based RPGs, but others have benefitted from a more action based system. Its a matter of personal preference which you like more, I happen to like the action oriented genesis version.
>>
>>337334695
Fair enough.
I happen to like the rpg version.
>>
>>337334875
>rpg version
you say it like RNG is the only thing that makes an RPG.
Both shadowruns have all the things that make an rpg they only differ in the combat. The genesis version even has dungeon crawling style rpg combat for its matrix sections.
Both are better than skyrim.
>>
>>337331496
While Tales of Phantasia is an interesting technological achievement it's not actually very good as a game. It plays like shit. Just a poor example.
>>
>>337335372
True, should've used Lufia II.
>>
>>337330886
'Cause it had more. More is good, but best is better. Mega Drive is best.
>>
>>337335372
>>337335474
but I liked it
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.