[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
JRPG Success Range
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: digimon-title.jpg (805 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
digimon-title.jpg
805 KB, 1920x1080
Considering that most JRPGs don't get a lot of marketing outside of Twitter, Facebook, websites dedicated to JRPGs, and word of mouth; anyone know what the sales range is for a JRPG to be "successful" in the west?

Pic related.
>>
Depends how much it costed to make
>>
File: tf-segmentation.png (62 KB, 480x370) Image search: [Google]
tf-segmentation.png
62 KB, 480x370
>>337321802
pretty much what >>337322783 said

As you pointed out yourself, most JRPG's don't get a lot of marketing, and as you may know, marketing costs a bunch of money, even compared to developing the game itself.
Most JRPG's these days target a niche audiences, and most of these people actively seek out information on the internet about new games, so there is not really a huge need to market the games broadly.
They also generally keep their costs well below what western AAA games typically need, which they do by re-using assets between game entries (Neptunia, SMT, Atelier) and generally keeping the scope of things low (JRPG mechanics and gameplay are very simple to get working compared to an action game for example)
>>
>>337323524
and to get to the point of this and answer your question, OP:

Western releases of niche JRPG's (assumed to be from Japan) keep localization costs in line with their sales projections. That is why we sometimes get full english VO (Persona 5, Trails of Cold Steel) and why we sometimes just get the japanese dub with english text (Cybersleuth etc).
It is also the reason why we sometimes just don't get a certain release, because it was already super niche in japan, so their sales projections for the west come out well below what would be lucrative for them

For a JRPG to be "succesful" in the west, it needs to meet the sales projections for its own sales projection (meaning, it needs to be able to make X amount of money).
Persona 4 is one such succesful release, and now the next game in its series is pretty much a AAA game due to the earlier games succes in both the east and the west (to the point where I would almost call Persona for a mainstream game these days)
>>
>>337323961
>P5
>AAA
Dont make me laugh
And arent dubs less expensive since licensing the Jap voices is very expensive
>>
I played and enjoyed this until Machinedramon, and then I realised how many times I would have to delevel my digimon to get the ones I wanted and stopped.
I don't know how far I was into the game, but I just decided I didn't want to deal with the end-tier evolution system anymore.
>>
>>337324287
I'm not into the ins and outs of japanese VO licensing, but from the stand point of just translating or doing a full english dub, its clear what is less expensive.
Ofc if you could point me to a source on that statement I would love to check it out for myself.
>>
>>337323961
>That is why we sometimes get full English VO (Persona 5, Trails of Cold Steel)
uh Cold Steel was dubbed to keep costs down because licensing the VO would've been ridiculously expensive
>>
>>337324404
Not him and I don't have any specific sources but it's a widely known and accepted fact in these discussions
>>
>>337321802
What >>337322783 said.
It could be as low as 10k or it could be a few millions.
Ignore all the idiot who think that a niche game need to sells millions to be successful and who often come to shitpost in some thread.
>>
>>337323961
>I would almost call Persona for a mainstream game

Unfortunately
I liked P4 but it did a lot of damage
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.