[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What Went Wrong, /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: WhatWentWrong.png (325 KB, 300x449) Image search: [Google]
WhatWentWrong.png
325 KB, 300x449
What went wrong with Kingdoms of Amalur, Reckoning? It was a pretty solid fantasy RPG if you ask me. I don't understand why it failed so hard. Can someone explain what went wrong to me?

Also Kingdoms of Amalur thread, too I suppose.
>>
>supposed to be an MMO
>remade into a single player game
>shit MMO tier quests without any multiplayer to spice it up
There was no way it could be good.
>>
I know I had a game breaking bug where I couldn't continue a story quest line because some NPC either wouldn't continue moving or would repeat one line of dialogue infinitely. I can't quite remember because it's been several years, but I do remember genuinely enjoying the game and having fun with it until said bug. I was the assassin-like class, and I remember beating some boss and getting really bad ass gear/weapons before the bug. Good ol' days. What was your experience with it, OP?
>>
Too boring.
Too easy.
>>
>>337273863
The aesthetics of the game and the shitty stat system. The aesthetics just weren't in style at the time even though it looks fine. The game would have benefited greatly from a better stat and gear system. Maybe a few more weapon types would have helped. Also noone seems to know about the game so i'm sure the marketing team failed hard.
>>
Christ, the giant swords are pretty fun, spinning all day everyday. Don't kow why I never used them before.
>>
>>337274076
This, basically. Kirkhope did a solid soundtrack for it, but that's the best thing I can really say about it. It wasn't shit, but it was boring.
>>
Shallow, boring, easy combat with a completely phoned-in fantasy setting and a lifeless world to explore full of nothing but the absolute most mundane fetch quests imaginable.
>>
>>337274185
also this. Hard is what normal should have been with two harder difficulties above that.
>>
>>337274249
I always liked the Chakram's honestly.

>>337274076
It was supposed to be an MMO? Did not know that. Interesting.

>>337274185
Well I would say the same thing about Skyrim but that sold well. Both were too easy in my opinion.

>>337274324
I'd say the hack-and-slash combat style isn't inherently bad. It's good in short bursts if you ask me.
>>
Apparently the game has a neat, heavily fleshed out world and lore that was actually written by a fantasy novelist, but I couldn't tell you what any of it was because it didn't fucking matter.
>>
>The state of rhode island owns the rights to this series
>>
>>337274076
But it was comfy, so how did it fail?
>>
>>337273863
I played it briefly. The world felt... empty.

Almost like there were supposed to be other people playing with me, to fill in the gaps... hmmm...
>>
>>337274942

And they're STILL suing the remnants of 38 Studios because 38 knew that there was a infinitesimally small chance of actually having the game be profitable at the time they applied for extra funding from the state, even *with* the extra funding added onto the product.

This game is a mess and in the end it's nothing more than a really poor console RPG with ugly elves shoved into every tree.
>>
>>337274076
Proto DA: Cuckqistion then?
>>
Ridiculous story, Blizzard character design and truly awful dialogue are why I put it down. The combats fine but the game world is like any of those Baldurs Gate PS2 games: restricted, fancy, but lifeless.

I don't feel like anything aside from the combat is redeemable about this game.
>>
>>337275257
Rhode island is actually being sued by the feds for fraud now, since they think the banks knew 38 wasn't gunna return the investment but did it anyway.
>>
Combat with every weapon was REALLY cool and fun for awhile.

But then every quest was a shitty MMO go here gather 7 horse asses/kill 7 cows come back done.

Plus you could FEEL the EA oozing off of it everywhere with everything being a total fucking rip off.

Especially the feyblades.
>>
offline mmo that looked like wow

shame because the guy wrote like 10,000 years of lore for this game and its all down the shitter. should have made it a more traditional rpg instead and started small and added to it over time.
>>
>>337275531

oh yeah, that's what I meant. I knew someone was suing someone because there was such a tiny fraction of a chance of there actually being a return on investment that they basically threw away the money.
>>
>>337274543
>I'd say the hack-and-slash combat style isn't inherently bad.
Of course it isn't. Action games and action-RPGs are some of my favorite games out there. But Kingdoms of Amalur's combat was a joke. The enemies barely put up a fight and even though it has techniques like parrying and juggling to try and add some depth, they're so easy to pull off and so meaningless because of how easy the game is that there's basically nothing to hold a player's interest over any significant length of time.
>>
>>337273863
Decent world and graphics but the game is simply too big and spread out for a single player game, it feels like a single player MMO (and yes I do now know it was originally planned to be an MMO)

Also it is very very easy to become overpowered by making your own weapons and armour

Satisfying game though, 7/10 and underrated gem from me
>>
File: 56890645.jpg (102 KB, 500x301) Image search: [Google]
56890645.jpg
102 KB, 500x301
>>337274543
>Well I would say the same thing about Skyrim but that sold well. Both were too easy in my opinion.
You sir must never have played it on Master
>mfw nearly get my shit stomped in the tutorial
>>
It's a single player MMO, literally.

The game took the shitty gameplay, story and world MMOs have, and removed the good thing about MMOs (multiplayer). Why would anyone do this?
>>
>>337273863
The sales weren't actually bad. The devs just had more heart than head to them and spent way too much on development. The game sold but not nearly well enough to make up for the costs.
>>
File: WoW.png (60 KB, 381x110) Image search: [Google]
WoW.png
60 KB, 381x110
>always wanted WoW or something like it but offline

>get KoA

>wish semi-delivered
>>
>>337276009

I wouldn't have a problem with it if elves weren't such a gigantic part of every single inch of the world. Elves are boring and awful.
>>
>>337274268
Really? when i played the game had 2 songs, combat and ambient.

Everything about this game sucked honestly. A lot of character customization but who cares when the game is so easy. Story is not very engaging at all. The world while having so much fluff to discover is still very boring. Quests everywhere but its all mmo tier shit. Skyrim tier dungeons. Man i couldnt even finish this game and i was just killing time until another game came out.
>>
>>337275824
Master is stupid. It's literally "Enemies hurt you more and you do less." all it does is draw out combat to unreasonable lengths, doesn't really add challenge.
>>
>>337273863
To much baggage.
It was an MMO retooled into a a single player, but it was also someone elses game they bought the rights to and had to retool it after their attempt to make it an MMO failed.

they also blew tons of money getting salvatore to write for it and Todd McFarlane to do ALL of the concept art and be its art director. That shit aint cheap.

38studio made it all but impossible to earn a profit off of it
>>
>>337275150
>But it was comfy
no it wasn't
>>
>>337276748
It was, senpai.
>>
>>337276923
I'm not your fucking senpai you tasteless bitch.
>>
>>337274543
>Well I would say the same thing about Skyrim but that sold well. Both were too easy in my opinion.

New IP with no mods against an old IP with mods. I wonder who will win...
>>
This is a good game on paper but in execution it fails. Game has no soul.
>>
Curt Schilling went wrong. Seriously, read up on this - he thought he could jew everyone involved out of their money and nobody would be the wiser.
>>
>Tries to give you the lore by making you click on some magic stone and listen to some annoying voiced, British, girl narrate it for you.

Lel.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.