[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://youtu.be/WLToGa1bNFc Memes aside, what's your honest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 11
File: doom_alt_boxart.0.0.jpg (183 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
doom_alt_boxart.0.0.jpg
183 KB, 1280x720
https://youtu.be/WLToGa1bNFc

Memes aside, what's your honest opinion on the new Doom? I think sp looks fun as fuck. As far as multiplayer goes however, it looks ok for consoles, but it's obviously casual as your standard cod or halo mp.

My biggest complaint is snap map, which seems far too basic to be a replacement for mods. I'm waiting for release to hear opinions before I pick it up, but the sp campaign alone is looking promising
>>
I got a free key of Doom 3: BFG Edition if anyone wants it.
>>
>>337254541
Gross
>>
>>337253952
The multiplayer was a piece of crap and wasn't fun. Smooth but still fucking shitty.
>>
>>337253952
SP looks decent, maybe even good, but the MP is downright awful.
>>
>>337254541
I want it, anon.
>>
>>337254653
>>337254676
I disagree. Imo its better than COD mp and on par with Halo, but like I said, its still casual af
>>
>>337254745

steamcommunity.com/id/goshzilla
>>
I like the look of the map editor. Shame its restricted, so maps don't hinder performance across platforms.

I have just finished playing through the original doom games, and I'm tempted to buy this one for sp.

Anyone know if pre load will be available?
>>
>>337254854
I honestly had more fun during this weeks Overwatch beta and during the last beta I was bashing the shit out of Overwatch. They improved it a lot. IDK maybe it was the lack of guns? Maybe it was because it felt like a cheap version of Quake arena.
>>
Single Player is hit or miss for me. I need to actually play it.

I've seen the leaked gameplay where it's a slow droning, boring game with awful audio noise for music. I've also seen the unlocked FPS gameplay at the GTX event which looked incredible.

Multiplayer was... OK? I like Halo and I like Doom. It felt a little too Halo for me but the health pick-ups and spawning items (apart from starting loadouts) felt classic and refreshing as shit.
>>
Nice little bit of disclosure there at the beginning about Bethesda letting him do the video.
>>
>>337255134

What does Overwatch, a multiple game that is solely designed for multiplayer/competitive audience have to do with Doom, CoD, and Halo?

They're apple and oranges is my point.
>>
>>337254854
>and on par with Halo
Isn't that what they just said?
>>
>>337255085
>snap map
>all the rooms are pre designed uac hallways that you connect together
The only good thing about it is the logic system. There'll probably be a few cool maps like tower defense, but it will suck for making actual Doom levels, and will get old after a month
>>
>>337255319
They are both FPS multiplayer games
>>
Here's the snapmap video. Apparently you can set up some basic scripts, such as destroying a barrel, will remove a placed wall.

It also shows some halo style custom basketball game. I guess that's what they are going for.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QuxmnKyabpg
>>
It looks like a fucking boring dialogue filled piece of shit.
>>
Don't give a shit about multiplayer, and single player looks great so far.

Have it pre ordered.
>>
The Multiplayer was fucking awful, nothing I would pay for.
But desu the campaign looks pretty cool, will get it on sale next year maybe.
>>
>>337255429
>they are both FPS multiplayer
>Overwatch is designed solely for multiplayer
>versus titles that have development in both single-player, co-op, and multiplayer

Am I phrasing something wrong? My english is bad, but I am trying to say Overwatch is marketed towards a different group of shooters versus Doom players who are after SP campaign, level designs and some shoddy TDM, CTF, etc.
>>
the "glory kill" mini cutscenes are fucking stupid and ruin the game
>>
>>337255693
So don't use them.
>>
>>337255545
>dialogue filled
The devs literally said you can avoid all the dialogue and story altogether without it affecting the gameplay
>>
File: d44m spider mastermind.png (290 KB, 827x470) Image search: [Google]
d44m spider mastermind.png
290 KB, 827x470
>>337253952
The game leaked just couple days ago, and the entire campaign's been streamed already. And those videos proved what I already predicted from the older footage: the game's shit.

It's full of "cinematic" shit; finishers, button pressing and item-pickup sequences, those short cutscene-like things with the MC listening to some guy give instructions via radio and he follows them, and even plain out fucking CUTSCENES in their basic form.

Next, you need to use the upgrade systems of the game. You just have to, since the default weapon damage and speed are just terrible. Like a basic zombie-guy wannabe enemy can take 3 shotgun shots to the face from point blank -terrible.

similarly, you are forced to use the Glory Kills, as the pinata-enemies are your MAIN source of supplies in this game. Enjoy getting locked into tiny room for 10 minutes, with wave after a wave of enemies spawning all around you. Hell, the devs even stated that those invincibility frames the Glory Kills provide are an essential "tactic" in the combat now.

Those are the biggest complaints of mine, but there's also tons of smaller, silly shit, like the game having technically no fall-damage, BUT there are these insta-kill bottomless pits found in maps. And like OP said, the Snap Map is literally a 2016 copy of the old Timesplitters 2's map editor; you won't be importing custom textures, models or sounds to the game with it, meaning you'll be stuck with basic D44M shit. Also, the asset limit is already confirmed to be very strict, and only 4 players max can play at once on a single S.M. level.
>>
>>337255407
True, unfortunately though it has obvioisly been simplified to pander to console players/ allow it to work on consoles.

A few more tools would be great. However at the moment, like you said, it doesn't really allow creation of anything like a custom campaign.
>>
>>337255618
It sounds like you are saying

>Overwatch was developed not to fuck dick during multiplayer
>Doom was only made for single player and its multiplayer is complete garbage but that doesn't matter to its fans.
>>
>>337255693
Turn them off then
>>
>>337255693
Turn it off.
>>
>>337255840
>the devs said this and that!
how fucking gullible are you fucks this day and age?

Fucking Half-Life and System Shock 2 had less gameplay obscuring cutscenes than D44M !
>>
>>337255818

That's the thing, this game has a design called "Style" and doing melee execution chains not only yield more health/ammo, but also rewards you more style points when completing each mission. I still have it on pre-ordered, but no one can refute that the forced feature is the most shameless implementations done by a dev team hounded by their investor/publishers.
>>
>>337255818
I bet you defend the golden tanooki suit too faggot
>>
>>337253952
>I think sp looks fun as fuck.
Go away Bethesda $hill!
>>
>>337255916

I think that's accurate.
>>
>>337255989
They fucking demonstrated it during the demo reatard. During any dialogue you just walk away and be on your way
>>
>>337255918
>>337255969
you can NOT turn it off!
How many fucking times do we need to go through this: You can ONLY disable the Glory Kill signaling flashing of enemies, NOT the feature itself!

AND like said and shown many times already, the glory kills are an ESSENTIAL part of the game as it is now. If you can't even grasp this basic 101 shit of game-design, you really are the brainless masses who hype and buy this shit.
>>
>>337256185
>AND like said and shown many times already, the glory kills are an ESSENTIAL part of the game as it is now
They've said the exact opposite, you fucking retard.
>>
>>337255897
>Next, you need to use the upgrade systems of the game. You just have to, since the default weapon damage and speed are just terrible. Like a basic zombie-guy wannabe enemy can take 3 shotgun shots to the face from point blank -terrible.
THIS!
Fuck Bethesda and id Software in the ass! I hope it bombs as hard as Rage and Zenimaxx kills off neo id Shitware for good and fires all those nu-gamer hacks.
>>
>>337256185
>AND like said and shown many times already, the glory kills are an ESSENTIAL part of the game as it is now

Just turn it off.
>>
>>337256152
>During any dialogue you just walk away and be on your way
But you can't do that during some plain fucking CUTSCENES that tend to play between levels / sometimes within them, or any of those item pick up / door opening / main mission objective action animations.

HL2 had seriously less game-obscuring design than D44M.

>>337256261
I wasn't referring to the morons that believe the Bethesda's bullshit and don't even watch the available footage.

Newsflash:
The game ends at you killing Spider Mastermind, after which the same robotic fuck that "wakes you" at the beginning and guides you through the game comes and kicks your ass in a cinematic.

He locks you up, and says shit about "I can't kill ya, so see you next time!", and the credits roll.
>>
>>337255897
>finishers
Then turn them off

>button pressing
Yah video games tend to have that

>upgrade system
Looks fucking fun. Whats wrong with adding a grenade launcher to your machine gun or adding burst fire to your shotgun?

>forced to use glory kills
No, you're not. Get good

>no fall damage with deadly bottomless pits
So like the orginal doom among countless other classic fps games?
>>
>>337256185
So you are saying that enemies won't die unless you glory kill them?
>>
>>337255989

you can skip the fucking dialogue the devs said if you want shootan and no story interruptions you can have just that
>>
>>337256572
>>upgrade system
>Looks fucking fun
No it doesn't
>>
So uh, no one added me on Steam, but if anyone wants a free copy of Doom 3: BFG Edition add me >>337254885
>>
>>337256185
So turn off the flash and just shoot to kill enemies
>>
File: plane crash with no survivors.jpg (46 KB, 851x472) Image search: [Google]
plane crash with no survivors.jpg
46 KB, 851x472
>>337253952
it is complete and utter fucking shit and I'm not being edgy or try to be contrarian here. the stream just confirmed what I feared; it is irredeemably shit in its entire design mantra.

I was going to pirate that POS, but after watching the stream I will just save my time and bandwith and won't even bother. I also played the MP beta, needless to say it was atrocious.
>>
>>337256774
>I prefer the same 8 weapons remain exactly the same throughout the entire game!
Fuck you, no one cares
>>
>Adding meaningless "RPG" elements

This is one of the worst trends in modern games.
>>
>>337253952
>le memes
kill yourself

>>337254541
>BFG edition
you poor soul
>>
>>337255897
got a link to the stream?
>>
>>337256926
>I prefer having watered down pea shooters
fuck off
>>
>>337257089
>literally illiterate
>>
>>337257089
Your weapons progress with the difficulty of the game. Nothing wrong with that
>>
>>337255989
>trying to meme this hard
>>
>>337256572
>Then turn them off
Cant turn them off. Only the orange & blue flashing of enemies. Also enjoy running out of everything in fights if you don't use them.

>Yah video games tend to have that
I was not referring to the action of pressing buttons. I was talking about all the pointless "cinematic" shit, that literally stops the game at its tracks for few seconds, all the fucking time, because you just can't have implied actions in shootan gaems these days.

>Looks fucking fun
looks fucking disgusting. Why can't we have the character move at the same speed as in 1993 and guns have the actual range and power they should, right off the fucking bat??

>No, you're not.
If the game is designed around them, with no attempt being put in providing alternative playing methods, that's pretty much the same as holding a gun to player's hea.

>so like the original doom
Doom did not have bottomless pits, and no insta-gib holes in general. The closest thing were some acid pools, but you usually had an escape route a good 99% of the time. Hell, jumping in was almost encouraged, as they usually hid secret areas with high-level loot.

tl;dr: someone has not played Doom 1, 2 or 64.

>>337256647
It's so close to being just that, it's not even funny. From the (now obviously deleted) leak stream videos, it became awfully clear that it's faster to poke monsters couple time with pistol or shotgun, then just insta-kill them with a Glory Kill. Saves ammo and time, and refills your pockets.

>>337256661
>the devs said this, the devs said that
>I have not even played the game, or seen any non-biased and staged gameplay, but I just know this!!!

>>337257047
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aAU3W99a04&ab_channel=futurist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDKk2tyDfLg&ab_channel=BeardedGaming

they were still up last night. I luckily downloaded the 2nd video on my HDD.
>>
>>337257576
>enjoy running out of everything in fights if you don't use them
>being shit

Aim better
>>
>>337257576
These videos made the game look very VERY not fun at all
>>
>there's an AI robofaggot talking into my ear through the whole game
just fucking why ??
>>
>>337257576
both youtube links are down

can you reupload the video
>>
>>337257909
It's optional, just mute the audio
>>
>>337257763

Not even the guy you're talking to, but drop the child act already. He gave you some pretty objective answers albeit a few subjective/opinionated ones, but fuck sake stop being a blatant bitch.
>>
>>337257880
https://youtu.be/ueRjbYdcXbs
>>
>>337253952
I think sp looks fun. I'd rather playing ut4 for mp though.
>>
>>337258004
>Not even the guy you're talking to

Sure
>>
>>337253952
How come the Nvida demo that was shown a couple days ago looks faster than this!?
>>
>>337257947
I'll put the one I saved on mediafire. It's around an hour into the game, with the first one I skipped being from the very beginning (which, btw, was slooow and brown).
>>
>>337258320
thanks dood
>>
>>337257969
>if the games shit just turn it off, it's optional
>>
>>337258186

Why didn't you quote us two at once? So I can screenshot and take that tinfoil hat off your head.
>>
>>337256920
If you're going to use a stream as an argument at least fucking link it.
>>
I'll probably wait for it to go on sale then play the single player.
>>
>>337253952
>3 layers of character upgrades
This is the exact grievance I had with Shadow Warrior and, to a lesser extent, Hard Reset. At least menus and default guns don't look as bad.

Do we know if the enemy health scales with difficulty?
>>
These threads feel like the ones about Wolfenstein: TNO before its release, it was going to be the worst FPS of all times. People posted the same webms with the retarded melee /stabbing thing and the awful AI during stealth to prove that it was going to suck. Everyone knew that the game was going to be shit months before its release.
It wasn't though.

D44M isn't just Doom 1 with 2016 graphics but I don't think it means it will inevitably be bad.

The MP is weird but this isn't Quake V Arena, i can forgive the fact it does not feel like Quake.

I'll stay cautiously optimistic
>>
>>337253952
Everyone on this board seems to not understand one crucial thing in Doom's new direction.
This game wasn't designed for you. They said in an interview that most "gamers" today have not played Doom (i.e. millenials) so that's who they are targeting. Times have changed and these entitled shitlords demand something "new" with "upgrades" and "cinematic direction". It's the plain truth, that's why I'll take this with a glass of salt.
>>
All they had to do was take doom1 and 2 and give it new graphics. ONE JOB
>>
Single player looks good, multiplayer is bad. After Doom 3 this looks like a masterpiece..
>>
>>337260961
Doom 3 was good.
>>
>>337260893
And we can't complain about it?
>>
>>337254541
Does BFG come with doom 1 & 2 like the console versions?
>>
>>337256789
Desperate for friends or something?
>>
>>337261029
The weapons were awful. Even the shotgun barely had any kick to it.
>>
>>337260910
Nobody wants that and modders have already done it
>>
>>337259348
it was taken down, you neurologically dead retard.
>>
File: 8fQG1XN.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
8fQG1XN.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
>>337260701
>Everyone knew that the game was going to be shit months before its release.
>It wasn't though.
p-power of the m-megatextures!!!
>>
>>337261267
speak for yourself.

The new gameplay has nothing on the fast paced arenas of the originals. Aiming slows things down.
>>
>>337261181

Yes.

>>337261223

No, just like how I gave a random guy D44M I want to get rid of this key and remove them too.
>>
How many levels?

I'm really hoping this is way longer than the Wolfenstein games since its less centered around a story
>>
File: DOOM.png (2 MB, 3194x1436) Image search: [Google]
DOOM.png
2 MB, 3194x1436
it looks bad honestly

>not enough enemies
>enemies are pinatas full of glowy health and ammo shit, which really takes me out of the experience- why couldn't it just have been pickups? or at the very least they could not look so retardedly glowy when they fall
>shitty modern fps tropes like cheevos/compass, "weapon bash" is identical to the modern CoD's "weapon bash" instead of good old fists which were an icon of Doom
>visual design reminds me strongly of Halo, especially the armour, less so than looking like a sequel to Doom 1 and 2
>colour palette is muddy grayish-brown (though it's definitely a step up from piss yellow), Hell could definitely stand to look a lot more a place where humans suffer, instead of just a muddy cave. Where are the huge writhing intestine walls and so on?
>the whole "doomslayer" shtick is sort of lame, I preferred it more when Doomguy was just your average unnamed marine who pulls off something exceptional, rather than a Mary Sue getting his cock sucked by the dialogue
>that shitty MP does not bode well for the SP quality
>gauss rifle is some sort of powerup shit rather than an actual gun like the BFG was
>music has too many wub wubs
>no mod support?

it may possibly be better than Doom 3 and I do respect that they've tried to pay respects to the original in many areas, but it still screams "wasted potential" to me from what I've seen so far
>>
>>337256513
>the same robotic fuck that "wakes you" at the beginning and guides you through the game comes and kicks your ass in a cinematic.

Oh my fucking god, it's shit like this which is worth dropping.

You go in and kill everything, but then get your ass kicked in a situation you CANNOT control. I hate to cite fucking TV Tropes but it really is "Cutscene Power to the Max"
>>
>>337261949

Last I checked, the shotgun was an icon of Doom. In fact, I can imagine handful of other weapons that people will identify immediately that it's Doom over the fists.

I'm not disregarding the rest of your greentext by the way, it's all fine and dandy.
>>
>>337260893
>This game wasn't designed for you. They said in an interview that most "gamers" today have not played Doom (i.e. millenials) so that's who they are targeting. Times have changed and these entitled shitlords demand something "new" with "upgrades" and "cinematic direction". It's the plain truth, that's why I'll take this with a glass of salt.

All of these things are still shit, which is why we complain and remind people on /v/ not to buy the fucking game if they don't want to encourage this sort of shit.
>>
File: DOOM0217.png (54 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
DOOM0217.png
54 KB, 640x480
>>337262297
>I can imagine handful of other weapons that people will identify immediately that it's Doom over the fists.
ahem...
>>
File: doom fist.png (100 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
doom fist.png
100 KB, 640x480
>>337262297
Sure shotgun is a biggER icon of doom, but the Fists are a big icon too. The whole "punching the Cyberdemon to death with only your fists" dealio even had an achievement on the Xbawks version because it was a widely-known thing.

Now we don't have fists at all, just the pussy-ass elbow which - not exaggerating at all- looks like it was taken frame for frame from CoD: BO3. Not a HUGE deal, but it's one of many minor flaws that are making this game not as good as it could be.
>>
>>337261949
An average unnamed marine that decided to spawn camp hell forever
A true hero
>>
>>337253952
From that video
>challenge complete
>enemies drop health/ammo when killed
>press e to melee rather than legit melee weapons
>game pauses when switching weapons
>corridor leading to arena leading to corridor leading to arena

However on the bright side
>modifiable FOV
>you can turn motion blur off
>you can disable chromatic aberration (THANK GOD)
>weapons look sick
>not corridor to corridor to corridor

I'll wait a little bit more, but it's looking brighter than before.
>>
>>337262789
>overdesigned piles of glowy shit and metal
>sick
>>
>>337262937
It's better than standard FPS fare, which is "insert generic ripoff of real life gun and make it not satisfying at all to use, also everything is fully automatic"
>>
>>337262789
>>337262937
>>337263004
Wait, I rescind my statement.

>upgrade trees
>>
>>337262789
>weapons look sick
yyeah, nope. Every fucking weapon is literally a over-sized, over-designed BOX. And some boxes let you slap on MORE BOXES.

seriously, every weapon in D44M looks like some super soaker, not a sleek and ergonomic piece of steel.

Also because Bethfucks just had to slap in an upgrade system(s), no gun has the stopping power comparable to the 1993 original.
>>
>>337263105
Yeah, I based my opinion on the first half of the video, I just got to the upgrade tree section.

Fuck this.
>>
It doesn't look terrible, but I can't say I'm excited for it at all. Glory kills being a central mechanic, the Painkiller style level/encounter design, the upgrade systems, the lack of enemies on screen and the lack of mod support are massive issues that kill any sort of hype I might have had. Besides that it looks like an ok fast paced, arcadey shooter. Probably not something I will play much but still worth a playthrough.
>>
>>337263238
I don't know, it looked pretty terrible when that video was still up
>>
>>337262692
I'm really not sure fists were ever iconic outside of berserk mode. This isn't Duke's mighty foot we're talking about.
>>
>>337258358
>>337258320
alright, the part 2 of yesterday's Doom4 leak's up now:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/t4iadq8sltbcy04/fofa899%27s+D44M+Live+PS4+Broadcast.mp4

Like I mentioned earlier, this is a bit further in the game, and looks a tad better than the early-game stuff.
>>
>>337262681

Chainsaw? What about it?
>>
File: d4 upgrades and orbs.png (574 KB, 1158x869) Image search: [Google]
d4 upgrades and orbs.png
574 KB, 1158x869
>>337263205
you seriously got THIS far, without knowing that the game has literally THREE different upgrade / level-up systems ? Wow.
>>
>>337253952
seeing as how you are forced to use glory kills for ammo and health in certain areas this game is a pass, glory kills are fucking stupid
>>
>>337263517
I mean, I enjoy games like Painkiller and Shadow Warrior 2013 and this looks to be in line with those, so I can't call it terrible really. Compared to Doom 1 and 2 it doesn't look too good though.
>>
>>337256647
They do die if you shoot them, but Glory killing them is more practical, as you gain i-frames, health and armor bonuses and waste no ammo to do it.

You can't just "Turn it off". You can hide it and pretend it's not there, but that shit ain't gonna cut it on the higher difficulties.
>>
File: 1439108575883.jpg (7 KB, 250x240) Image search: [Google]
1439108575883.jpg
7 KB, 250x240
>yet another "/v/ complains about pedantic shit" thread

this game needs to come out already
>>
>>337264308
You also apparently get a shitty rank if you avoid using glory kills. So if you make the game more difficult for yourself by gimping your character, the game will consider you bad.
>>
File: 1462481939086.gif (674 KB, 414x317) Image search: [Google]
1462481939086.gif
674 KB, 414x317
>>337264337

You and me both.
>>
>>337263802
the first thing I thought upon seeing that image was
>borderlands
>>
Do enemies gain in health or numbers on higher difficulties?
>>
>>337253952
Fuck off Jackshills
>>
>>337264604
yes
>>
>download video
>PS4 player keeps melee'ing everything

This guy can not only fucking aim, but he's doing melees that do nothing to them at all 1/2 the time, FUCK.
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.