[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remember how hype you were when you first saw this video? W
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: 3c47e6acde[1].jpg (355 KB, 1267x667) Image search: [Google]
3c47e6acde[1].jpg
355 KB, 1267x667
Remember how hype you were when you first saw this video?

When did it all go so wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PfkVeI7AiA
>>
SC2's campaigns were still fantastic.
>>
>>337229002
>SC2's campaigns were still fantastic.
only the Terrian campaign rest feels like a cheap moba rip off just like every neo-blizzard game.
>>
>>337229002

No they fucking weren't.
>>
>>337229002
LotV's wasn't. 90% of the missions were "kill five of something while some gimmick gets in your way" and Artanis was the worst neckbeard protagonist I've ever seen
>>
>>337229079
>>337229080
They really were great though.

What did you want out of them? More of the same every mission, build a giant army and go kill the enemy base? At least SC2 mixed things up a lot.

The thing I love most is the feeling of progression with the upgrade systems and how many different campaign exclusive units there are.
>>
>>337229079
Zerg was ok when it got started on the later half of the missions.
Hero units were a mistake.
>>
>>337229429
This pretty much. The campaigns were all legit good, not counting the story. Though the Zerg one goes to shit because hero unit Kerrigan was such a monumentally bad idea and ruined the second half of the campaign.

Then again, Kerrigan ruined the story in general from the get go.
>>
>>337228914
Yes, because it reduced to zero and then became negative.
>>
Excited that I was finally going to play as Raynor and Zeratul, and form an unstoppable alliance to get revenge on Kerrigan
>>
>>337229765
Protoss was also dogshit
>starts with the horrible kerrigan end mission
literally made me quit this shit game.
>>
>>337229429
Yes, expecially for zerg.
Kerrigan was strong but an infiltration unit in SC1, now she became almost literally son goku.
>>
>>337229267

Story was fucking garbage and that's a surprisingly big motivator for me in RTSes. Apart from that there was the lack of adventure because it was just the same three factions throughout the campaigns and a couple of amon's monsters. WC3's campaign was fun because you fought creep factions, burning legion, and it introduced two brand new armies. SC2 added nothing and took away complexity.

The missions themselves were alright but there were a few too many that just pre-built your base for you and that's not very fun either.
>>
Is there a reasonably priced battlechest out for this yet? I don't really feel like paying full price for what feels like three expansion packs.
>>
>>337229952
Protoss was great, you're just being bitter.
>>
>>337230346
>doesnt want to pay expansion pack price for stand alone expansion packs

Uh huh.
>>
>12 seconds in
>phoenix clips through rock
>>
>>337229002
WoL was GOAT
HotS was the worst rts campaign ive played in recent memory
Legacy of the void, is eh... I was liking it but I got bored and never finished it
>>
post yfw when blizzard releases brood war hd along with wow legacy servers
>>
>>337230762
This is 4chan. People would bitch and moan and call blizzard greedy jews, even if it were free.
>>
They should have just cloned brood war
>>
>>337231034
what if they tried their best to do it and this is the result?
>>
>>337228914
>When did it all go so wrong?

Battle Net 2.0
>>
Meh, I was diamond for 10 seasons in WoL + HotS, actually started off in Bronze and managed to climb my way up.

I've switched to chess and Dota 2 for good most likely but I've played everything from SC1 to WC3 to LoL and I have to say I don't think I've ever seen an RTS that had as many unfun APM sinks as SC2. It explicitly felt like the skill floor was artificially raised for nothing other than bragging rights, it felt good to finally hit Diamond and say I have a comfortable grasp over the game but it fizzled off pretty hard after I saw how arbitrary and trivial a lot of the game was.

It also didn't help that the community was generally much more toxic than Dota's, it suffered from something similar to LoL in that unorthodox opinions were frowned upon which is something very, very bad for any competitive game's scene (I only used the TL forums but that's definitely how I remember them). Hell, a lot of players barely even interacted with the greater community outside of who their opponent was in 1v1 mm during games.

Campaign was decent, though. SC2 could've been so much better but Blizzard in general has lost their touch over the last 3-4 years, their games are either way too casual and pandering or just straight up poorly designed.
>>
>>337231034
I think they stuck too close to BW (well except for story). Every time they tried to change an existing unit or introduce a new one as replacement for the old one people got angry.

>here is the new siege tank that is more expensive but more powerful
>WAAAHH BLIZZARD I WANT THE OLD TANK BACK IT WAS PERFECT
>here is the tempest, a replacement for the carrier
>WAAAH I DONT WANT AN ANTIGROUND SHIELD I WANT MY CARRIER
They should have just scrapped every army and design new ones from the ground up. Trying to measure up with BW by making it very similar is just stupid. The new SC would probably be worse, but at least be new.
>>
>>337230346
$20 is full price?
>>
>>337228914
Gameplay wise the spacing was so much better, the final version ended being too fast and now it's even faster in LoTV, everything dies in 0.5 seconds, if you look away 1 second your entire army is fucking dead.
>>
>>337232206
if they had made a well designed game that wasn't dumbed down it wouldn't have invited comparisons to the previous installation that was better
>>
>>337229201
Loved Wings Of Liberty and Heart Of The Swarm, couldn't even finish Legacy Of The Void, I was so disappointed at the time.
>>
>>337234302
If they made a new game they would get a new audience. Trying to satisfy an audience that already decided BW is the best thing ever isnt possible to satisfy with anything but BW
>>
>>337232008
Devs need to learn that designing games for the competitive scene never works.
>>
>>337231958
This.
It's a huge back step from the first one and feels really empty and dead compared to the first one with actual channels and all first generation blizzard games could be on the same one
>>
Not a straight upgrade to SC1. It's just fun to play with all these fanfic tier units.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.