[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the real problem with this game again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 5
File: 113664b.jpg (35 KB, 190x269) Image search: [Google]
113664b.jpg
35 KB, 190x269
What was the real problem with this game again?
>>
>>337228336
that it's not Starfox 64
>>
>>337228381
it literally is SF64 2.0
>>
>>337228336

That it's on a gimmick console.
>>
Miyamoto
>>
Reviewers can't into simple motion controls.
>>
Reviewers are morons who can't handle difficult games unless it's dark souls.

Game is GOTY tier good.
>>
>>337228336
Probably needed more polishment.

Otherwise i'm in a bunch of levels, don't find it nearly as bad as claimed though.
>>
>>337229412
>GOTY

I don't know about that, but it's definitely better than what most people are giving it credit for.
>>
>>337228336
Content.
The lack of multiplayer is really odd, considering it was in SF64. I guess they thought Guard would be good enough.
Main game was still fun though.
>>
Hating on Nintendo is a meme. That's the only reason people piled onto it.
>>
>>337230865
I've owned every Nintendo console since the beginning and hold many of its first-party titles as my all-time favorites. I thought Zero was extremely disappointing.

It's clear Nintendo had its own idea of what kind of Star Fox game it wanted to make and it seemed to think that evoking 64 in presentation would do a satisfactory job of appeasing the fans. Without the same focus on rail shooting (something unique at this point with the withering out of the genre) and with a half-assed effort to work branching paths into a game otherwise built to let you play any stage at any time, it's just not hitting the marks it can and should.

Yes, controls were an issue because they were an unnecessary and awkward addition, but Zero's problems run much deeper than that.
>>
>>337228336
It has GOAT controls once you git gud

but once youre good the game has nothing to offer you, it really needed multiplayer.

A ctf mode with interior bases would have been amazing
>>
>>337228336
price
>>
>>337228426
haaah
ahahah
ahhahahaahah
>>
>>337228426
SF64 had efficient controls last time i checked.
>>
It's yet another Neo-Nintendo game where they not only FAILED to improve upon a 20 year old game, they managed to downgrade it. Just like how super mario 3D world has a LOTTTT Less movement options than super mario 64 (1996), just how smash 4 has a million less movement options than melee etc.
Nintendo has lost its touch wit the wii, and they killed the remaining hope of their fans with the wii u.
>>
>>337231914
No it didn't. You always had to put yourself in harms way Because the reticule followed the tip of your ship

Star fox zeros mechanics are actually very efficient
>>
>>337231564
>Without the same focus on rail shooting (something unique at this point with the withering out of the genre
Theres a reason why the genre withered. Nobody wants to play some shallow arcade SHMUP in 2016. Gamers want more substance.
>>
I didn't like the way they handled optional paths, I like being able to choose my route as I go like Starfox 64.

Also a lot of the bonus crap that they force you to replay the game to get is just bad. Remember the shitty boss now you can fight him in space!

I would have liked a regular ass save in arcade mode, not because I need it, but because the damn game keeps freezing 1 hour in so I'll never unlock whatever the fuck is down there.

Other niggling issues here and there but I kind of like the control scheme generally. I still have problems controlling the chicken though.

All in all I give this game a 4/5 and a recommendation.
>>
Honestly Zero had the best All Range missions in the entire series. Its a shame that Macbeth didn't return though, it would have been perfect for the Gyrowing.
>>
>>337228426

It's Star Fox 0.5
>>
>>337228336
It's Star Fox 64 with less content and an unconventional control scheme. Basically what would have happened if Super Mario Sunshine was a remake of Super Mario 64.
>>
>>337228336

>needed multiplayer
>feels unfinished despite delays
>rehashing SF64 AGAIN
>gimmick controls

other than that it is still a 7/10 the reviewers LOVE being harsh on nintendo gimmicks. Kid Icarus Uprising?
>>
>>337232062
>no one
>"gamers"
>substance

ebin
>>
Bad controls for the sake of using the Wii U's gimmicks.
>>
It was a new StarFox game, which should have been a big deal since ending the series on Assault or Command would have been a shame. It was basically an annual joke for nearly a decade on message boards to read people's desperate want for a new game. "Maybe this year Nintendo will announce a new Star Fox!" And then when it finally happened nobody bought it. Also being released in today's modern vidya review climates, where 24/7 content mills like GiantBomb literally don't have the time to learn the intricacies of games that aren't One-and-Dones, leading to low review scores from larger outlets.
>>
>>337232469
You know, if it was released for the Wii back in 2010 or even early in the WiiU lifecycle, Zero probably would have gotten more positive reviews.
>>
Garbage gimmick controls. Literally the only part that the motion controls felt fluid was the Landmaster on Titania.
>>
Too short.

They should lower the price to like, 15 dollarydoos or something because I'm not paying full price for a 4 hour long game.
>>
60 burger price tag
>>
>>337232956
You also have a ton of unlockable extras, challenge modes, an arcade mode. And Star Fox Guard.
>>
It's shit and not even for the controls. Zerofags automatically assume anyone disliking it is because of controls like the retards they are for liking this trash
>>
>>337228460
>>337228336
the game was solid, the controls were solid, but at some point the game became more about mastering the controls rather than having fun with the game itself. The game should be called "Star Fox: Zero: Mastering the controls".

When a game emphasizes the use of the controls more than the killing the bad guy, it stops being fun. Sure its a great game, but you cant have fun trying to master the controls, when you just want to play the game itself.
>>
File: D4C.png (707 KB, 764x800) Image search: [Google]
D4C.png
707 KB, 764x800
>>337232469
I was so hyped at last years E3. When i saw the puppets, like almost everybody else, i thought
>"ok, this is a star fox reference, they are going to start star fox. Holy shit, holy shit, here it comes..."
And then....they showed it, and it looked like a gamecube game. it looked slow, empty, dull. I wasn't even angry, it was just the final nail, the final blow that made me realize that there is no hope in modern-nintendo. Little did i know that Star fox zero would be the highlight of the "presentation". One IP after another, raped in front of a million eyes. "Metroid" federation force, amiibo festival, soulless mario spin off #158, 10 minutes talking about yarn.. It was a disaster. A fucking mess.
In the end, i never bought a Wii U and it was the best video game decision of my life.
Rip Wii U, you wont be missed you piece of shit.
>>
Though I like the game, it feels like Platinum didn't bring their A-Game to the development of it. With the exception of the Star Wolf dogfights.
>>
>>337233097
But no multiplayer vs. mode, which has been a staple of the series since Star Fox 64. I know certain comments made by Miyamoto indicated there might be multiplayer DLC in the future, but considering how they are dropping WiiU support I doubt that's going to happen.
>>
it is a 7.5/10 game

to be a 10/10 it needed

online multiplayer about dogfights in space, 1 vs 1 or team battles

leaderboards to compare high scores

no gyrowing + detchable robot levels, and more normal, on rails or all range levels

and every level should be reachable from the first playthrough if you complete a complicated challenge
>>
>>337228336
babies didn't want to learn unique or 'different' controls in a game that isn't Dark Souls
>>
>>337233929
This is bait at this point.
>>
>>337230089
Lack of multiplayer is justified by people not being able to connect multiple gamepads at one console. That would leave us with online-only, which isn't really Nintendo way of handling things.
>>
>>337228336
$60 for a slow and easy arcade game remaster with a forced gimmick.
>>
>>337232181
Game is freezing? Sounds like you're either using a crap HDD or pirating your copy. There's something really wrong with your stuff bro.
>>
>>337233929
Dark Souls controls aren't unconventional at all, it's basically Zelda mixed with standard FPS controls.

With Starfox Zero we have:
>old school survival horror like tank controls for the walker
>a targeting reticle that shows your weapon's trajectory rather than where the bullets are going to land
>gyro controls that don't keep the reticle centred, don't let you turn 360 degrees, and also aren't completely one to one.
>>
>>337233823
>claiming online makes any game better for general audience
just fuck off, not everyone likes to bash 12yo kids over and over and over in the same 4-5 maps that are generally crowded. It dies after a year upon release.
>>
>>337228336
only for wiiU
>>
>>337228336

Too little content, I thought
>>
>>337234978
It's a first party IP, what the fuck did you expect? Steam and iOS?
>>
>>337231914

The controls in Zero work great.
>>
>Bad controls = difficulty
I legit can't wait for videogames to die so that you neckbeards never have to ruin them again
>>
Cockpit view was a mistake
>>
>>337234553
>That would leave us with online-only, which isn't really Nintendo way of handling things
Well it worked for Splatoon.
>>
>>337235483
But it was in literally all previous games. The difference is how they handled the aiming and required the constant change of view.
>>
Babies can't handle gyro precision aiming

Also Andross story is rehashed

Otherwise fix the controls for casuals, and have a more creative level design and it'll be the perfect sequel
>>
>>337235639
And literally nobody used it.
>>
>>337235570
Splatoon was made with multiplayer in mind from the beginning. It's basically a multi-only unlike all their other single player games. There's a huge difference here.
>>
>>337235691
Now they give you a good design reason to use it but there's still complaints. People bitched about 64 3D not having one. What the fuck people want anyway?
>>
>>337235639
cockpit view wasn't on the mandatory second screen before
locking on to enemies and the gamepad are an ass combination of handling things
I just wanted a railshooter with occasional all range fights against star wolf, instead I got all range mode with the occasional railshooter section and the game refusing to be convenient. There is no reason for the targeting squares to disappear when locked on but they did it anyway because they have to push their shitty ass gimmick somehow
>>
Star Fox Guard is actually a surprisingly good tower defense game. Though I wish they used it as an opportunity to flesh out the world a bit more rather than put you as a security guard to a remote mining outpost.
>>
>>337235924
Or you can just gitgud and always use third person view to shoot stuff. I only use the cockpit view when extremely necessary, like bosses and spider drones.

The game works far better now than it did in 64. I'm sorry if we disagree.
>>
>>337234553

They didn't have to design the game around a gimmick controller.

They didn't have to release a console with a gimmick controller at all.

I cannot understand how Nintendo, the champion of offline multiplayer, managed to fuck up so badly when they released a console incapable of offline multiplayer.
>>
calling the controls a gimmick is a like calling a pc flight stick for simulators a gimmick
>>
File: Starfoxismediocre.jpg (1 MB, 912x1434) Image search: [Google]
Starfoxismediocre.jpg
1 MB, 912x1434
>>337228336

/thread
>>
>>337236557
I feel you. That controller really got in the way of many options.
>>
>>337236676
>using a meme image to end the thread as if you were the king of image boards
yeah
>>
>>337228336
Only thing I can think of is Replay-ability. This game should've had an Online MP of some sort. Like a TDM with 4v4 Star Fox vs Star Wolf.
>>
File: NioH 2.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
NioH 2.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>337228336
Shorter than a free Demo that came out around the same time, pic related
Shorter and $20 more expensive than Ratchet which is also a reboot

Ignore the controversial controls and too many "alt" vehicle levels, even if they were both perfect for the whole community, the game is still 3 to 4 hours long and costs $60
>>
>>337236676
64 was a rehash of SNES, as was Assault
>>
File: peter pan laughs.jpg (13 KB, 250x194) Image search: [Google]
peter pan laughs.jpg
13 KB, 250x194
>>337236764

>Image containing things that are legit wrong about the game
>M-MEME!!

Meanwhile during the first week.

>Game gets mediorce reviews from everyone
>R-Reviews dont matter!!
>G-Git gud!!
>>
>>337234553
>Lack of multiplayer is justified by people not being able to connect multiple gamepads at one console.

It isn't justified in the slightest. You could still play the game with the Pro Controllers (as evident from Co-op mode). The only difference is that you wouldn't have the gamepad's independent aiming style, which at this point most fans would agree they'd gladly do without.

The Wii U would have been the perfect console for 5v5 Star Fox, with up to 4 pilots splitscreen and one on the gamepad doing something else which would work numbers wise because both Star Fox and Star Wolf have had 5 different members on their teams at some point, but that would mean actually bringing people back. However, Nintendo is adamant against rejecting good ideas for some reason, which is insane since their local multiplayer reign is one of the few remaining things people bother buying their consoles for anymore.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boRCPsP739Q
>>
>>337236676
>it makes Command's story look decent
Nice try but Command's story will never look decent in comparison.

Fuck Command and it's garbage fanfic tier story and fuck anyone that liked it.
>>
>>337236676
>You still get the boss meter even if Slippy is out of commission
Wow how fucking casual-pandering. They really should've made the team all be important in their own way, if slippy goes down you don't get a boss meter. If Falco goes down, you can't discover hidden paths, and if Peppy goes, you don't get advice or tips. Now there is literally no reason to not let them all die, and do things yourself.
>>
>>337236519
or don't remove the fucking crosshair when locking on
why would you remove it in the first place
>>
>>337233823
Also needed another campaign (preferably Star Wolf), Brain Boss, Forever Train and a boss fight with Leon (who has no special of his own)
>>
>>337228336
Nintendo forgot people liked to play games by pushing buttons.
>>
>>337235881
>make game in 3d
>take out the view mode were 3d would have worked the best
YEAH WHAT THE HECK
>>
>>337237926

In Zero

>Peppys advice is completely useless, you not only go through the mandatory training to get used to the controls, but everyone else tells you the same things he would. He's nothing more than a token meme

>Falco NEVER does anything relating to finding alt paths, though he barely did that much in 64 as well since he only did this once, this just shows he isnt what people thought he is.

>Slippy is also useless, even if he's down you're granted the life meter of the boss anyway, even in the bonus stages where he's not present
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.