[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's pretty fucking good.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 14
File: ChVJcugWUAA0rm4.jpg large.jpg (109 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
ChVJcugWUAA0rm4.jpg large.jpg
109 KB, 1024x576
I'm starting to understand why people say these games have a movie vibe to them though but I don't feel it deducts from the experience at all because the acting is superb, it's convincing and allows for full on character immersion.

I've never played an Uncharted game before but this game has me impressed. The visuals are absolutely stunning, I even enjoy the action sequences/combat and the fast pace set pieces because I've been pretty dam immersed. Im'just really surprised at how entertaining the game is.

If anything, what has been synonymous across titles like crash and jak and this game is they've nailed this tropical island adventure feel to them and it's great.

I give it a 9.5/10 so far.
>>
Would have been good wallpaper with drake on it
>>
File: drake confused.jpg (31 KB, 603x444) Image search: [Google]
drake confused.jpg
31 KB, 603x444
>>337208534
>>
>>337208439

When do you actually start doing things? Been playing for a couple hours now and it's fucking boring.
>>
>>337208818
The second half more or less, this game takes is slow and its a good change of pace, it really picks up instead of games which do the opposite, they start strong and fizzle out, I don't like it wheng ames do that
>>
>>337208910

I heard this game was open-world, when does it actually become open world?

I just arrived in Scotland after the auction thing
>>
> nailed the tropical island/jungle enviroments

Yeah, I think that's why I liked Uncharted 1 as much as I did despite its flaws. It was super comfy jungles and ruins for 90% of the game. And I'm glad 4 was return to that kind of enviroment (2 had a little).

The car chase in chapter 11 was also phenomenal. Probably my favourite "Vechile level in a non-driving game" ever.
>>
>>337209029
Where did you hear that?

Because it's not true at all, and the devs specifically said its not open world, it's just less tubular than 1-3. There's some big open enviroments, but it's still a linear game.
>>
>>337208439
Like you said, they nailed the tropical exploration. I can't stand these games though because the combat is ass.

Its the same for GTA, Fallout, Uncharted, Just Cause and a million others. Great worlds, just actually going around and interacting with it tends to suck combat wise.

GTA gets a pass because the combat isn't as big a part of it, and most of it can be handled by running everything over which is one part they got right.
>>
>>337208818
Around chapter 7 I think. At least I think, I just started that shit and it sounds like shit is going to go down.

I've shot a total of 10 guys so far....

I fucking almost spat out my drink when he started playing crash bandicoot. Jesus fucking christ, can we play a game already or what?

But yeah, shootan aside, the previous uncharteds have always felt like they actually started being fun at the halfway point anyway. This one doesn't seem any different.
>>
>>337208439
you talk like someone from Neogaf.
>>
>>337209364

I bet you couldn't even beat your wife's high score
>>
File: 002.png (171 KB, 595x418) Image search: [Google]
002.png
171 KB, 595x418
It's alright. 7.5 outta 10.

It takes basically the first entire half of the game to even get going. The shooting and platforming continues to be fine, but that's about it. It works, but there's nothing complex or interesting about it. The new character "Sam" never really works- it feels like someone's fanfiction.
>Hey yeah this is my OC and he's actually the long lost brother of the protagonist and he taught him all the stuff he knows and is also a super awesome adventurer guy and he's voiced by Troy Baker and says snarky stuff and also the entire game is going to be about him and characters you actually like will occasionally pop up but they're not important like my OC is and he gets Nathan to go on another treasure hunt and get into a big fight with Elena even though that shit was already resolved TWICE in the previous games

It's also riddled with glitches. There were so many times Drake just lost his shit and went flying while I was attempting to operate their simple-as-fuck platforming. And importantly, audio tracks would just cut out randomly. So for some of the most important scenes in the game, it had just decided "yeah, you're not gonna get voices or sound effects for another ten minutes. Hope you like the music."
>>
>>337208439
I love Uncharted.
>>
>>337209632
I ran under the boulder thing immediately a few times so I could continue the fucking game
>>
Worse than Uncharted 3.

The only thing Uncharted 3 needed to do differently is reveal Talbot is the sand genie or whatever the fuck it was supposed to be, instead of just "some guy". And then staple on Uncharted 4's epilogue (aka the only truly good part) and you're done.

That would be a way better end to Uncharted than 4 is.
>>
>>337209895
>reveal Talbot is the sand genie or whatever the fuck it was supposed to be

What the fuck was up with that anyway?
>>
>>337209757

>he doesn't like Crash Bandicoon
>>
>>337209959
I've never much liked those run from thing levels anyway
>>
>people meme for years that these are just movies when they're more game than cutscene
>hey guys i think they want a movie take all the gameplay out

That's literally 4. You don't even really do anything until maybe 6 hours in.
>>
is the multiplayer any good?
>>
File: 24oa59s.jpg (55 KB, 750x376) Image search: [Google]
24oa59s.jpg
55 KB, 750x376
>>337209930
It was a genie trapped in a jar that infected the water to basically be fear gas. Everyone wanted the jar to make the fear gas or whatever.

Which makes no sense because obviously Talbot already had some sort of fear gas the rest of the fucking game since he used it on you all the goddamn time.

The only explanation is there was an actual supernatural conclusion that got cut involving Talbot.

Just like Heavy Rain never explaining why you wake up with Origama and have black outs- just supernatural shit they cut.
>>
>>337209895
>The only thing Uncharted 3 needed to do differently is reveal Talbot is the sand genie or whatever the fuck it was supposed to be, instead of just "some guy".
I don't get it, care to explain?
>>
>>337210229
Yeah I was definitely waiting for some big shit to happen after the "boss" fight at the end. It never came. ;_;
>>
>>337210280
They never explain anything about the "genie in the lamp". They just say well it's fucked up so they dropped it in the water and then the water made everyone crazy.

But Talbot/Marlowe/Illuminati or whatever already had the hallucinogenic agent they were looking for because they used it several times in the game.

Something happened with the writing. The fact that the boss is just a QTE fight with the henchman is weird and out of place.

3 is just really poorly done. It improved a lot of the gameplay and told the writing to fuck off, I guess.
>>
File: 634.gif (29 KB, 245x184) Image search: [Google]
634.gif
29 KB, 245x184
>>337210280
Throughout the game your main villain is supposedly Marlowe, this old lady. She never really does anything and is generally nonthreatening and boring. But her right-hand main is this dude named Talbot who constantly fucks with you the entire game.

He gets shot, only to appear perfectly fine a minute later which is never explained, he has the power to disappear from dead ends without explanation, and he can induce hallucination and fear in people or even force information out of them and make them talk like he's a fuckin' jedi- which is also never explained.

The obvious conclusion is that some supernatural shit is going on. Why else could he do all these impossible things?

Then you finally get to the lost city and see that everyone was looking for water that did literally nothing more than the fear/jedi/hallucination shit Talbot was ALREADY DOING THE WHOLE GAME. So, again, the conclusion is, "Oh shit, Talbot must've lead us here on purpose or something. He's the genie in the Jar that making the water weird and he wants out".

NOPE. You run up and drop the jar (with the genie) in a pit immediately, then murder Talbot and Marlowe in an incredibly rushed ending.
>>
>>337209930
The last act of Uncharted 3 was rushed as hell.

They didn't even open the Vase in the water, just blew it up, there was so many unresolved story threads.
> What was up with the spiders?
> was Talbot magical?
> why would Marlow spend her entire life and millions of dollars searching for a halluncentic drug that is barely different (actually less effective) than what she already has Accsess to?

It was an all round mess, and including Francis Drake was a mistake because it confuses his importance for Uncharted 1. The game should have just been following the footsteps of Laurejce of Arabia and the ship level should have been cut and Ubar should have been massively expanded.
>>
>>337208439
Does anybody feel that this game had so much climbing segments in it?
I mean 70% of the game was oversaturated with climbing segments and that's too fucking much even for an uncharted game.
The problem is that the climbing sections aren't even challenging, it's not like you can fuck them up unless you are super retarded. I love uncharted but most of 4 was boring as fuck because of this.
>>
>>337208910

No, there's way too much slow stuff in this game. I never thought I would see Nathan Drake sitting at a desk doing paperwork. Do we really need that much setting up?
>>
>>337210674
> What was up with the spiders?

I always assumed that the shit Talbot was using the whole game came from the spiders and they just needed the water to improve on the formula. Or something?

But that's just my headcanon explanation for there not being an actual explanation. The spiders are actually just a holdover from some concept gameplay stuff they wanted to do in the first game but couldn't.
>>
>>337210497
>Something happened with the writing.
You mean how the writing went absolutely retarded?
I don't know what Talbot surviving the shot, Cutter having a tarot card with a tower on fire after Marlowe set the tower on fire, Nate not being able to contact Cutter and Chloe because one's phone didn't have credit and the other one's was broken, the hallucinogenic magically making the drugged person easy to manipulate, the awful pacing in the first 10 chapters and more crap didn't bother anyone
The mechanics were a big step forward compared to Uncharted 2 but the writing was retarded as hell
>>
>>337210746

Yes, the climbing sections are almost unfailable. It may as well be a walking simulator.
>>
File: laughing spaniard.jpg (39 KB, 728x371) Image search: [Google]
laughing spaniard.jpg
39 KB, 728x371
>>337210746

>fuck up on a climbing segment
>Nathan just gives up on being alive and is dead well before he hits the ground
>>
>>337210746
I felt exactly the same.

Most of the game was climbing stupid bullshit, which isn't fun or challenging. Climbing is only fun if you have to juggle it with combat. But usually that isn't the case here.

Anything that isn't climbing is time-consuming and ball-numbingly simple puzzles.

Anything that isn't climbing or time-consuming and ball-numbingly simple puzzles is those fucking retarded sections where you just walk around doing jack-fucking-shit and, like, looking at stuff.

Anything that isn't climbing, time-consuming and ball-numbingly simple puzzles, or those fucking retarded sections where you just walk around doing jack-fucking-shit and, like, looking at stuff is just the absolute worst driving game ever where you drive slow-as-fuck until you have to stop and pull out a wench or do some dumb puzzles again.

Anything that isn't ALL THAT BULLSHIT is either a cutscene, or the combat. Which at this point amounts to like 10% of the game.
>>
The gameplay is slow at the beginning, but story is pretty enthralling from the get go.

The game got fun when you cut the power and climb out of the building avoiding the guards and the section when you crash through the window and have a shootout. Especially on the hard difficulty
>>
>>337209632
I didn't. It felt like my jumps were pushed forwards to stop me from dying, so I fucked up a jump as much as I could to see if it was protecting me from failure. It wasn't.
>>
Just finished the game.

Pros:
>biggest levels in Uncharted series ever. ND didn't lie with their statement of "10x bigger at least"
>multiple ways to progress in levels (even though its still linear it is quite a nice change of pace)
>vehicles, Madagascar and the whole island semi-open exploration setting
>the rope. Thought it will be shit, but it adds a lot of fun and versatility during combat and keeps the game tight
>pretty much 10/10 level design with destructable cover and open ended areas
>good AI, especially on harder difficulties. Will have to run and gun frequently, otherwise enemies destroy your cover/flush you out with grenades/start surrounding you
>graphics are awesome, maybe even better than The Order 1886
>working stealth
>great soundtrack as always
>best Uncharted story (acting, etc. is also superb) with an awesome ending
>setpieces give a good adrenaline boost
>no mystical paranormal magic shit, only pirate shit (thats my personal one)

Cons:
>Nadine
>slow start with shitloads of cutscenes (can skip them, but then the game just doesnt make any sense) and not a lot of combat
>some shootouts can be a little unfair for the player if he is low on ammo or if you get yourself in a shitty spot and the brute enemies start to roll in (especially near the end of the game)
>no Chloe's ass
>couldn't beat Elena's high score :^(

Overall, if you have a PS4, this game deserves your attention.
>>
>>337211216
>graphics are awesome, maybe even better than The Order 1886

For sure they are better. All the order did with them is render gray shit the entire game.
>>
>>337211216
Don't worry senpai Chole's ass awaits it multiplayer.

I hope the dlc is actually about her doing the job that she contacted Nate about.
>>
The best thing about Uncharted is that it doesn't pretend to be what it's not.

It knows it's a "movie game" and takes pride in it. It doesn't pretend to make you think it has deep mechanics or super engaging gameplay. It knows how to pace things well. When to throw cutscenes an setpieces right before the core gameplay starts to bore you.
>>
>>337211216
How's the platforming, does the game manage to mixup platforming and shooting in a meaningful way?

I got really bored of 3 since it felt like a generic cover shooter with a lot of scripted events and the platforming was mostly just AssCreed style "parkour" and felt like a contrived way of getting from a to b
>>
File: 1462872067201.jpg (298 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1462872067201.jpg
298 KB, 750x750
>>337208439
DAMAGE CONTROL.
>>
>>337209895
if it's worse than 3 i am not buying it. i fucking hate 3.
>>
>>337211848
it depends on your playstyle mostly.

Some segments you can go no-kill runs, sometimes you stealth through them if you want. You can stay in cover and be bored of shooting same shit, or you can go absolute madman-mode and start rng everything in sight while swinging around with the rope in a huge arena filled with cardboard cover, water and open corridors.

The problem is, that the combat in single player gets good around the time you discover the lost city, which is quite a long time to play through. Before that you might get bored of the samey corridor shooting. After you get into the jungle, it gets pretty heavy and fun.

>>337212234
some argue that its better than 2. Best way to know is to try yourself.
>>
What's the multiplayer like?

I miss SOCOM
>>
>>337212408
Hmmm, sounds pretty fun. How long into to the game do you get to the jungle?
>>
>>337212525
>multiplayer
long story short - it's good.

People who hate it are just shit at it and get btfo constantly.
>>
>>337212720
Is there tarzan mode in multiplayer?
>>
>>337212704
about half of the game. So ~5-6 hours. You can get there quicker if you're in a hurry and don't waste time collecting shit like letters, optional conversations, etc..

>>337212765
>tarzan mode
you mean swinging around, from point to point, in maps? Yeah there is. You need to be decent with the rope though and plenty of people get destroyed while swinging in a battlefield.
>>
>>337210229
Talbot was some sort of magician or illusionist, but they forgot to tell that, you have to read it on wiki. When he got shot i was so hyped that he was some sort of immortal being or something, but nope, just a guy.
>>
>>337208439
I played the first 3 three and I bet the last 2-3 levels of this game will make it all seem retarded and pointless.

I hope I'm wrong. Gonna go check this shit out on the wiki.
>>
>>337215476
First off, this game has no supernatural shit. It is incredibly fucking dull. At the start it's like "yeah all these pirates got treasure" then you get to the end and NOTHING HAS CHANGED. It's still just pirate treasure, the villains are still dull as fuck- it's still all the same.

And secondly, none of the previous twists were deus ex machina, and if you think that they are, you don't understand what that means. I'm not saying you have to like them, but that isn't even remotely what they are.
>>
>>337208439
Nice shilling i bet you earned your five bucks.
>>
>>337208439
You sound exactly like how a shill would talk if they were lead by the devs.
I notice your post is devoid of anything regard the actual gameplay or what substance it has; you focus on the visuals and "character immersion" from the "great acting".
Devs spend millions of dollars trying to make games more like movies, and then have to prop themselves up by praising these qualities as much as they can when the game fails because it's hardly an actual game. I do not understand this consistently stupid behavior from the game industry.
>>
>>337218194

Different genres of games can co-exist and have their place in the industry, there is nothing inherently wrong with a game that is designed to be a playableplay like an action blockbuster, just like there's nothing wrong with gameplay focused games where character and story progression are it's least important and if not weakest features. All this is, is variety and it's good.

The problem is you think games that are movie-like are all automatically bad when it's just because you've played so many shitty ones that try and fail at it. The gameplay in this game is not complex but it's not trying to be something it isn't, it has a stealth mechanic, a standard cover shooting and platforming and driving mechanic and the game fleshes these out as best they can and keeps it simple. There's no point isolating any of these features to dismiss the game when everything ties in together for a well above average overall gameplay experience. The game is simply good, fun and entertaining to play.

This game isn't driving a trend or setting standards in the industry other than within it's own genre and it obliterates everything that has tried to be like it. One of it's strongest points is it's characters and when you're accustomed to playing so many generic ones you loose sight of what it feels like to play a good one and when you finally do it's refreshing and it adds a level of enjoyment to the game.
>>
>>337208439
how much are you getting paid for that?
>>
>>337218963

>someone can't possibly have enjoyed it
>it's just shilling
>it is unthinkable to think that game might actually just be good as eveyone is saying it is
>nup shill

come on my friend
>>
>>337210746
actually 70% of the game is cutscenes and following some NPCs while they talk to you

but you're right that 70% of the ACTUAL gameplay is climbing
>>
>>337208439
Fuck off shill
>>
File: 71 KB.jpg (4 KB, 120x126) Image search: [Google]
71 KB.jpg
4 KB, 120x126
>>337215783
>>337218963
>>337219782
Something /v/ will never understand is that games can be different and still be objectively good. Uncharted is supposed to be Indiana Jones, it does this using all the same tropes the movies do and is story focused some people love that, others don't and that is ok too.

That being said, I played 1 2 and 3 in the Uncharted series, I hated 1 and 3, but 2 was quite possibly my favourite game that year. Thinking about getting 4, but maybe when it isn't full price. Could do with another PS4 game And if this is Shilling, at least this isn't another Overwatch shill thread..
>>
File: 1450330670590.jpg (163 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
1450330670590.jpg
163 KB, 960x540
>>337218920
>Different genres of games can co-exist
Where are the other ones then? Because 99% of the mainstream games produced nowadays (besides Nintendo) are this kind of overproduced movie-wannabe gruel.
>>
Just got to Chapter 8. I am surprised I actually like the gameplay. Visuals are outstanding, but gun fights are pretty fun and exciting.
>>
This seems like as good a thread as any to ask in. Can someone spoil this game for me? Do any of the main people die?
>>
>>337221609
> besides nintendo
> complains about tutorials

Nintendo games are one big tutorial
>>
File: 1462778800900.webm (3 MB, 940x529) Image search: [Google]
1462778800900.webm
3 MB, 940x529
>>337208439
>this shit
>9.5/10
hahahaha
>>
File: watch dogs 2.jpg (190 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
watch dogs 2.jpg
190 KB, 1920x1080
Best looking game of this gen
>>
>>337208439
I only play Uncharted MP.

Come at me
>>
>>337210497
>Something happened with the writing.

A voice actor or two that were suppose to be more major got another job and the game had to be rewritten around it while most of it was already done.
>>
>>337221727
>complains about tutorials
You seriously need to get some reading comprehension. Or you misinterpreted that comic; it's not depicting tutorials, it's depicting how entire games are railroaded hand holding crap. Nintendo games at least have a focus on gameplay for gameplay sake.
>>
>>337221729
That scene looks really boring desu
>>
>>337220241
I totally agree with you that different kinds of games can coexist and be good in different ways.
But why did you continue with the series if you hated 1? Or did you start with 2 in a story-driven series for some reason?
>>
>>337215476
>>337215476
You don't know what a Deus Ex Machina is do you?

All 3 "supernatural twists" we're hinted at numerous times. In chapter 2 of Uncharted 1 there's a big fucking murials of El Dorado surrounded by weird looking figures. Sully even comments "....at least I think they're people". Plus you see glimpses of the zombies and evidence of thier existance (some subtle, some blatantly explained to you) throughout the game. Not to mention the Villians referring repeatably to something on the island killing thier men that isn't drake.

Same in 2, as early as chapter 3 you see skeletons with black teeth who tore each other to peices with thier bare hands. There's loads of references to the Chintamni stone granting terrible power, and you find it and it's true nature is revealed (which was also hinted at in multiple places, including the Nepalese temple which shows the stone inside a tree).
>>
Is the game still half climbing then boring cover shooter with shit guns?
>>
how are the puzzles in this game?
>>
>>337209645
>It takes basically the first entire half of the game to even get going.

I don't understand why people dislike build-ups so much. I fucking loved them.

The other uncharted games are too much romcom to my tastes, The mid section starts way too early. In uncharted 2, right in the first cutscene Drake says "Ok LETS DO DIS BOIIIII" with no reason whatsoever.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.