[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MMO THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 11
File: rift shimmersand.jpg (117 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
rift shimmersand.jpg
117 KB, 1280x720
Name 3 features that are an absolute must for you to play any MMO.

Also name 3 features that any MMO you'll consider cannot have.
>>
>fun and complex gameplay
>good character customization
>sizeable playerbase

>p2w
>delayed/unresponsive character movement and actions
>sci-fi setting
>>
>>337206960
Rift was dope. The class system was incredibly good (maybe the best one that i've ever saw in an mmo) and it had tech that took years WoW to implement and they still havent managed to make player housing in WoW. Such a shame that it didnt get the fame it deserved.
>>
>>337208228
It got a good amount of fame/recognition. It's just that when Tera came out a lot of the playerbase jumped ship to try it out. Rift went F2P/P2W and died shortly after.
>>
>>337206960
<YES>
>collision-based combat
>modern, visceral sound and visual effects
>distinct character/class roles in content

<NO>
>hotkey combat. it's dead. move on.
>lethargic and/or back-loaded progression systems (ex: essential abilities 3/4 the way thru level curve)
>PvP focus ... no other venom kills MMOs faster than mechanic decisions based on the needs of PvP "balance"

MMOs are not FPS.
MMOs are not MOBAs.
MMOs are not Barbie.
MMOs are not visual novels.
>>
>>337206960
An improved version of the sort of freedom and PVP that EVE has.

Lots of game mechanic math to chew through, not hidden game mechanics that you can't analyze.

Great ability to fashionize
>>
File: Sliderseverythingisayisright.jpg (32 KB, 550x343) Image search: [Google]
Sliderseverythingisayisright.jpg
32 KB, 550x343
>>337206960
1.smooth camera control and animation to this day i still feel like its one of wow biggest strengths its just feels so smooth and fluid to play it.

2.reasons for player conflict and pvp.
think something like ragnarok war of Emperium or silkroads trader,guardian and bandit mechanic.

3.world with meaning.
things like world bosses and rare monsters.

1.no instanced shit where anything besides the max level rides has any meaning to the game.

2.no easy meaningless world full of quests to slay mobs that you one shot and which can never drop you below 90% health all the while you have infinite resources.

3.basically everything that is modern wow.
>>
>>337209153
>hotkey combat. it's dead. move on
there's literally nothing wrong with hotkey combat
>>
>>337206960
wasd movement
a class I want to play
decent style

click-to-move
p2w
dunno
>>
A world with things in it that I want and enough players running around it to make it feel alive.
The ability to feel somewhat unique either through a hard earned piece of gear, title, character customization or mount. But it could also easily be a skill spec choice or something.
Must have challenging content that requires good teamwork.

Cannot have a lack of world pvp or teamwork options outside dungeons/missions.
No pay to win bullshit.
Fuck you Actvision.
>>
>>337206960
>Rift

Fuck, it's been a long time.

Too bad F2P and P2W ruined it.
>>
>>337209370
Memelords don't get opinions.
>>
>>337210738
you're the fag who hates pvp
>>
>>337208228
Rift pre-expansions was my favorite post-WoW MMO by fucking far. It's such a shame that Trion has gone full jew with it now.
>>
>>337210908

I agree. Storm Legion was acceptable though, and the game was still amazing.

F2P killed it hard though, and now Trion are milking it for every dime its worth.
>>
File: Vengeful_Farmer2.jpg (142 KB, 968x843) Image search: [Google]
Vengeful_Farmer2.jpg
142 KB, 968x843
>>
>>337213414

It is never to be again, Anon. Never to be...
>>
>>337214569
It's amazing how good a great class system makes a game.
>>
>>337215016

Especially an MMO, where your class defines who you are and what you do. It is important to feel as if you're something uniquely yours, while managing to fulfill the demands expected of your role.

Both GW1 and Rift managed these things very well.
>>
+heavy character customization
+viable and fun magic
+solo bosses that are viable income

-more than 1 tier of pay, if any (i.e. members vs Premium Members)
-Cooldown/ultimate move combat as the only option of play
-Degradable/Disintegrating equipment is the only viable equipment at high levels
>>
>>337213414

Guild Wars did so much right. The UI is sleek and clean, the spell-icons are cool and informative, the fonts are easy on the eye, the classes were all super fun and left lots of customization.

I'm downright surprised more MMOs haven't tried to clone it.
>>
i'm probably autistic but i actually like how WoW "feels" in terms of animation/spell/movement feel

fucking hate what it's become, but the basic gameplay feels great for some reason
>>
File: whymanwhy.png (154 KB, 1283x718) Image search: [Google]
whymanwhy.png
154 KB, 1283x718
>>337215365
I'm doing testing for Dwell. It has some neat concepts but really needs more content.
>>
>>337215692
>open-world survival MMO with pixel graphics and crafting

Looks absolutely atrocious.
>>
>>337215365
>>337215692
I didn't mean to reply. I'm retarded.
>>
fun
no p2w
good community

no fun
p2w
shitty community
>>
>>337215865
>Hes never played H&H or Salem
>Fucking russians
>>
>>337215973
>clone of shitty survival MMOs
>think it won't be dead in 6 months
>>
>>337215865
>open-world survival MMO

You don't need to continue.
>>
>>337216039
It probably won't just like Salem and H&H. It draws upon a certain crowd of people. Hell H&H makes $30k monthly. Sadly they've become P2W with the subs.
>>
File: 1znlfk4.png (203 KB, 760x525) Image search: [Google]
1znlfk4.png
203 KB, 760x525
>>
>>337215973
Are the cunt devs still expecting people to pay 13 or whatever a month after maintaining radio silence before springing it on the players?
Seriously that was the biggest dick move in dev history from recent memory.
I hope most people stopped playing after that. I did.
>>
Mabinogi back when exploration was released
>>
>>337206960
>Finding items instead of fighting enemies for them
>No penalties when you die other than having to pay to restore health and armor, some loss of cash is good too
>Pvp not enforced

>p2w
>pvp being focus of the game while pve being left to the side
>Gear is restricted and non tradeable
>>
>>337206960

>Raid in rift on release
>Playing a dps warrior
>Beastmaster specc
>literally press two buttons while maxing the dps meter along with the other warriors

And then I fucked shit up as a warlock class in Storm Legion. Good shit.
>>
>>337220045

Rift was never particularly balanced. Fucking fun though.

Too bad about the P2W.
>>
>>337220696

Well to be fair Warlock was like a 20 button rotation. Beastmaster was just dumb on release. Other classes were very engaging.
>>
>>337220791

Yeah, but there was always a good handful of classes who could do stupidly good damage with 2 buttons.

But there was also, like you said, Warlock, and Bladedancer, and later that one warrior spec I can't recall the name of that had 19 procs to watch for and required piano-hands to make work.
>>
>>337220696
The truth is that only poorfags complain about p2w
>>
>>337221262

And only faggots who can't use hotkeys complain about not having p2w
>>
>>337206960

Must:
>Implement the fact that it's Massive Multiplayer (such as massive pvp in gw2)
>A fair and rewarding raiding system
>A community that favors healers and tanks, as DDs are growing on trees

Cannots:
>Be free to play/pay to gear
>Similar classes just to increase the amount of avaliable classes (Quality > Quantity)
>Have too many expansion packs, forcing you to buy every single one of them

I don't mind pay to play or subscription to play.
>>
>>337221262
Or people with value for money. Or people who want lots of competition without a crippled community full of narcistic bronies.
>>
File: 1457981426825.webm (491 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1457981426825.webm
491 KB, 300x300
>>337221693
Good excuses, poorfag
>>
>>337221262
yeah nah

I have plenty of disposable income and being forced to pay to be competitive is a huge turnoff
>>
>>337221884
But you surely don't care if you waste cash in a stupid ferrari or a stupid 30k dollar computer
Fuck off nigga
>>
>>337222472
easy on the assumptions buddy
>>
>>337222578
If you really have "plenty of income"
What is a few hundred wasted in pointless shit for you then? If they really hurt your pocket then stfu, you don't have plenty of income.
I make the ,omo,i, salary in my shitty country and can still afford a decent pc and to pay for some minor stuff in the games to stay competitive.
I just buy wisely and loot, grind and else for the gear I can't pay for.
>>
File: heee.jpg (553 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
heee.jpg
553 KB, 1680x1050
>>
>>337206960
There are far too many MMO that are pretty much coop adventuring with a shallow combat system and a fancy lobby (ironforge or wherever you're idling).
If i want this i'd play Diablo or something.

MMOs need to make use of the vast number of players that are connected. Pretty much like EVE does it with trade and territory. Make the community as much a part of the game as the mechanics and you'll have player reputation that actually matters.

Losing in-game should feel like losing in life.

Unfortunetely this is pretty hardcore and i'd say MMO's need 1M+ players for the community to thrive.
>>
>>337222770
what the fuck does that have to do with anything
>>
>>337206960
Yay

>Perfect character customization
>PvE endgame
>Costume items without real-money

Nay
>P2W
>Armor equiped doesn't change appareance
>Only PvP Endgame
>>
>>337224637
Why the fuck do you jump into conversations fucktard?
We were talking about how p2w shit is just annoying to poorfags because they don't have a good job nor disposable income.
>>
Must have:
>Changeable classes
>Forced grouping
>Good content is evenly distributed from start to finish, not crammed in the "endgame"

Must not have:
>WoW UI and shitty thin fonts
>Tier treadmill
>Any effort wasted on poorly-balanced PvP
>>
>>337224807
and I told you that's bullshit
do you have an argument that's not "yeah well I waste my money and so should everyone else"?
>>
>>337224702
>Perfect character customization
What's your idea of perfect character customization?
>>
>>337224807
>buying the game and the paying additionally to experience less
>>
>>337225073
So you basically want games for fucking free? are you gullible, stupid or just underaged? maybe a combination of those.
Tell me how the hell are they gonna pay for the servers, the coders and the game staff if the game isn't pay2win nor subscription based.
Will they magically pay themselves?
>inb4 that doesn't have anything to do with it being p2w
But that's the whole point, they have to make money somehow you idiot.
>>
>>337225383
hey welcome to 2016 friend

MMO's gotta be completely free and can't charge for anything because fuck you I'm entitled to it
>>
>>337225383
and that's why subscriptions are the only viable business model for MMOs
>>
>>337225383
Not him, but p2w is literally cheating in MMO's. You just can't have it. The whole point of MMO's is social aspect of aquiring better gear then your friends or whatever is the goal.
Subscription i have no problem with.
>>
>>337208228
>He actually thinks any other company rivals blizzard's tech team

Nigga please, the designers are shit but the tech team that makes the game is top tier that so far no other game company has rivaled
>>
>>337206960
>Expansive interesting world/setting with no disconnection between the world & the player
>Customization, character/class/everything
>Responsive and top tier controls/combat, this is a must above all else. If its not responsive and feels good to play, it needs to go

>Bad servers
>Ridiculous cash-shop
>Bad interface

Bonus goes out to: themepark mmo's should just die already
>>
>>337226172
>It should be a good game
>>
File: 1438192567631.jpg (91 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1438192567631.jpg
91 KB, 1920x1080
>>337226497
well its not really what we're getting right now is it, as almost every mmo in the past 8 years failed on all 6 of those points
>>
File: 1458015578934.jpg (796 KB, 3154x2493) Image search: [Google]
1458015578934.jpg
796 KB, 3154x2493
>>
File: aion.jpg (370 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
aion.jpg
370 KB, 1600x900
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.