[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of level scaling?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: 2.jpg (127 KB, 703x524) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
127 KB, 703x524
What do you think of level scaling?
>>
>>337206623
What's the point of levels then?
>>
>>337206623

Makes the leveling pointless.
>>
It's necessary if your game is open enough that people can play different areas at greatly varying levels

>>337206663
character progression
the good kind, with abilities and shit, not just flat damage bonuses
>>
it's an okay feature

It's used independently of the gameplay, all the time. That's stupid, but it's an okay mechanic.
>>
I don't mind it although it can be pretty shallow, you either end up with damage sponges or enemies that 1-2 shot you as then defining difficulty

You could prolly make it less shitty by making it so enemies just move a slight bit faster as a scaling stat

Ultimately fresh enemies with fresh abilities is the best way to increase difficulty outside of environment
>>
File: 1457601039021.gif (2 MB, 400x239) Image search: [Google]
1457601039021.gif
2 MB, 400x239
>>337206623
I hate level systems in general.
Scaling ones are a little more tolerable, but I just don't like them in general.

Where is the incentive to "git gud" in a game when all I have to do to win is be 5 levels higher than my opponent. There's no skill, no strategy, you simply fought a weak opponent. There is not any game that benefits from a level system that those same benefits couldn't have been better implemented by something else.

Scaling level systems are better because it's not possible to be 5 levels higher than the boss, forcing you to git gud, but then the only advantage you get is having new spells or attacks and shit like that, and naturally the higher level you are the better your attacks are, so again, it's grind to win, even if significantly less so than a regular level system.

RPG games and such would benefit more by, for example, making the player character stronger each time they slay a boss, this way the character does get stronger and gains new skills, but is still required to play the game at a designated strength and allows for a difficulty curve.
>>
>>337207635

I disagree, in part. Leveling is a great numeric representation of how far along the CHARACTER has advanced.

In roleplaying games, you're there to take part in the growth of said character. Not in your growth as a player, or your skill rising.

Your skills as a player should influence the character, but this is his story, not yours. Your actions are, and should, always be secondary to his, and leveling shows his advancement to you, the player.

What grinds my gears is when characters in-game talk about "leveling up".
>>
>>337206623
Good full multiplayer, terrible for singleplayer
>>
>People hate rubber badning in Racing Games
>don't have a problem with level scaling in RPGs
>>
>>337206663
What's the point of levels at all?

>Level up
>New bosses and enemies are just going to be higher leveled anyways
>You are now stronger than the enemies in the starting areas you probably won't ever have much reason to return too and fight in

It's all just the illusion of progress created by inflating numbers.
>>
File: 1439755142809.gif (1020 KB, 257x194) Image search: [Google]
1439755142809.gif
1020 KB, 257x194
>>337207926
>Your skills as a player should influence the character, but this is his story, not yours. Your actions are, and should, always be secondary to his, and leveling shows his advancement to you, the player.
I've never thought of it that way.
I can see where you're coming from, but I still think grind to win is pretty poor.

Part of the role playing game is that you're, well, role playing as the character, therefore when your character gets stronger, so should you: equal parts stats and strats.
>>
File: 1443968832666.jpg (39 KB, 736x637) Image search: [Google]
1443968832666.jpg
39 KB, 736x637
>>337208469
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.