[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you like linearality in Souls games? I beat BB and Ds3 multiple
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: 1461268852706.png (676 KB, 685x794) Image search: [Google]
1461268852706.png
676 KB, 685x794
Do you like linearality in Souls games? I beat BB and Ds3 multiple times, and picked up Ds2 today and honestly it feels so confusing. There isn't any clear indication of what the hell you're supposed to do or where you're supposed to go once you get to majula, since there are a bunch of different paths.

Do you think Souls games should guide the player to stuff or let them discover for themselves?

I'm afraid Ds1 will play similarly to Ds2 now and it sucks. Why are 2's controls and in-game responsiveness so garbage?
>>
>>337203903
Having played DaS first, DSII, then DeS, and now DSIII, I can definitely say how linear DSIII is is really, REALLY off-putting. I really don't like the lack of branching paths at all.
>>
>>337204439
Fair enough. I want to look up a guide for it but at the same time I wan to to discover stuff for myself, but knowing souls games that means locking myself out of tons of fun shit.
>>
I started with DaS and didnt find 3's linearity troublesome at all.

Unless you're sequence breaking for items or what have you, there's a pretty straightforward progression through all of the Souls games.

3 is fairly linear but its almost a positive (not nearly as cool as the spaghetti-on-a-fork world of the first, sure, but much less likely to stump you with some really obtuse bullshit.) 3 is the one I would most readily recommend to a newcomer since its the most straightforward of all the Souls games in terms of progression.
>>
it should tells you what is happening like in demon's souls, ds2 was a mistake, really, on everything, you can see that on the intro
>you are in a place no one will ever know where it is and when it is
>jumps on a ghost hole
>end up in another dimension
>a woman tells you to seek souls
like what, why ,how, wtf?
>>
>>337203903
Dark Souls linearity is bullshit. Instead of wasting my time on trial and error of where I can and cannot go, why not just point me in the right direction?

"There are TWOOOO bells of awakening, one above, one below". - the first thing you do is go to new londo to get assraped a few times, than you go to the graveyard to get assraped some more. And FINALLY, you notice the ruined stairs that lead above into undead parish, they aren't even the closest path. What sort of a game gives you a hint of where to go only to waste your time? The second bell isn't even "far far below in the ruins", it's fucking far away, and ruins are the first thing you see after you get to firelink.
This sort of design pisses me off.
>>
>>337206353

>having to think for yourself and explore

No fuckin thanks give me my good old Skyrim quest arrow ty
>>
>>337206485
>my idea of exploration is to die 10 times so i can realize i cant take a path the game hinted i should take :D

Brilliant.
>>
>>337206353
>And FINALLY, you notice the ruined stairs

Sounds like a personal problem bub.

>>337206283
DSII was partially about hollowing and finding purpose. The player character is hollowing, the old woman gives you purpose.
>>
>>337206353
why you never tried talking with him again if you didn't understood what he meant?
>Hm? What, you want to hear more? Oh, that's all we need. Another inquisitive soul. Well, listen carefully, then... One of the bells is up above in the Undead Church, but the lift is broken. You'll have to climb the stairs up the ruins, and access the Undead Burg through the waterway. The other bell is back down below the Undead Burg, within the plague-infested Blighttown. But I'd die again before I step foot in that cesspool! Hah hah hah hah!

he literally tells you have to go through he waterway, that you can see in front of him, and that you arrive to blightown through the undead burg
You should pay attention to what people say in the souls series(excluding ds2)

>>337206612
the woman says you will lose everything and die a lot of times this is not a purpose and this don't give any motivation to you or your character to do anything
>>
>>337206612
>personal problem bub

I dare you to find a blind playthrough in which the guy went straight to the stairs after getting to firelink. I can find at least 5 where people went to fight the skeletons.
>>
>>337206581
>die 10 times
You dumb faggot. I went to the graveyard first and IMMEDIATELY realized I was in the wrong place since the skellies were taking forever to kill. So I tried behind me, and voila, easier to kill enemies. But oh no, you have to think to figure that out, tragic.
>>
>>337206820
No I mean dying 10 times I mean fuck.T he game TRUSTS you have the ability to make the decision that you're not supposed to be in the graveyard considering how hard it is. The game TRUSTS you have the ability to make the decision you're not supposed to be in New Londo when the ghosts fuck with you. It's pretty great really, love it.

>>337206759
>the woman says you will lose everything and die a lot of times this is not a purpose and this don't give any motivation to you or your character to do anything

The intro holmes.

>Long ago, in walled off land to the north. A great king etc.
>>
>>337207106
And how are you supposed to know you shouldn't be there unless you fight the enemies and die a few times?
>>
>>337207208
By dying, as well as gauging the damage you are giving to the enemies. Death is woven into the game's story. Why are you so averse to triggering a failure state in a video game? Skeletons take 3-6 hits more than the hollows on the cliffside, choice is clear.
>>
>>337207208
When the enemies are giving and taking more damage than the boss you just beat, that should be a clear sign that something is wrong.
>>
>>337206581

>my idea of exploring is to keep dying and returning to the same area
>10 times

Literally retarded
>>
>>337203903
>American box arts
>ever
>>
I don't feel it makes much of a difference as long as the core gameplay is the same, as that gameplay is pretty much the main draw.
>>
File: 1444871245296.jpg (1019 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1444871245296.jpg
1019 KB, 960x1280
Lets see what the critic /v/ trusts has to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71gG754VYlw
>>
>>337207764
You literally are for liking that design.
>>
>>337207449
>>337206946
I had heard that Dark souls was KNOWN for being incredibly difficult prior to getting it.
Hard skeletons seemed like the norm and everyone I know started out by going to them first.
EVERYONE
>>
>>337208270
If you weren't an autistic faggot you would have thought "hmm, maybe I should look around more for a better weapon to kill these things faster!" and should have found somewhere else to go at the least.
>>
>>337209463
Its funny because that is what's expected of the tutorial.
You come across a threat you likely can't beat, so you go past it, and eventually come back when you're more equipped
>>
I'm with OP.
I hate how it gives you no indication that oh BTW, don't go this way, or you should do this boss first. It'd hardly skill when its just RNG what way you go. And I hate having to cling to some guide like a faggot.
Plus i'm directionally challenged and frequently get lost in vidya/IRL. Respawning enemies, random brrwnching paths, and whatnot in an area that you can die fairly easily can frustrate the shit out of me when I spend 3 hours in a circle.
>>
>>337211075
t. Valve playtester
>>
I liked it in Dark Souls 2 & 3 where I would often have two paths I would warp back and forth between and make little baby steps forward.
>>
>>337211157
I don't get it.
>>
>>337211334
Valve playtesters are known for being horribly inept. Honestly it sounds like the Souls series isn't for you anon. Well actually I imagine you'd enjoy DSIII quite well.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.