[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: 687-1-1388831204.jpg (106 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
687-1-1388831204.jpg
106 KB, 1280x720
Is Dark Souls "Hunter-like" or is Monster Hunter "Souls-like"?
>>
>>337151556
Neither. If you think they play even remotely similar you are a shallow retard.
>>
>>337151978

This.
>>
>>337151556
Are you the same type of retard that thinks MonHun is a Phantasy Star Online rip off?
>>
Monster Hunter is a Dragon's Dogmalike
>>
Dark Souls is Mario Kart-like because you use items
>>
>One has rolling
>The other has rolling
>They must be the same game!

Is Dark Souls "Gears of War-like" or is Gears of War "Souls-like" guys?
>>
>>337152359

Fuck you, like, a lot.
>>
Neither, holy fuck.

Please consider suicide, OP.
>>
Is Jesus a Buddha-like or is Buddha a Jesus-like
>>
>>337151556
They're nothing alike. If you like they are you have very little experience with one/both of them.
>>
File: 1449293576109.jpg (83 KB, 640x908) Image search: [Google]
1449293576109.jpg
83 KB, 640x908
>>337151978

thats funny because in mohun, you run around with a huge sword fighting large faggot creatures just the same

only souls is slower and 50x more pretentious

miazaki was also an arx fatalis WRPG bitch and shamefully ripped off arx like a bitch
>>
>>337151556
The only similarity is that some of the bosses in DS are a similar size to those in Monster Hunter, show similar attack patterns and thus the player has to use similar methods of beating them. I guess some of the weapon classes/attacks are also similar in places but that's it.

Some of the DS bosses are "Hunter like" but the games overall are completely different.
>>
>>337152809
Have you drawn that conclusion after having played both dark souls and monster hunter for extended periods of time or are you just talking out of your ass?
>>
Does anyone still play P3rd? I've been thinking of hopping back on the bandwagon.
>>
File: 1431032922303.jpg (874 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
1431032922303.jpg
874 KB, 1200x900
>>337151556
They are both relatively challenging action-oriented games that reward players who spend a lot of time in the game learning the intricacies of their systems.

Other than that, I'm not sure why people keep comparing them as if they're successors or "-like" games of one another.

Is it because you can kill dragons/wyverns in both games and both feature heavy, slow giant swords that cause noobs to rage quit? I don't get it.
>>
>>337152809
Dark Souls has great lore, gives the player a much better sense of purpose, the atmospheres in are far better.

Also DS isn't limited to handhelds and doesn't look like a PS2 game.
>>
>>337152809
>you run around with a huge sword fighting large faggot creatures
Monster Hunter and Dark Souls confirmed to be Final Fantasy-likes
>>
>>337152809
worse than SMT shits
>>
>>337153098
You'd have better luck in unite
>>
>>337152809
>Dark Souls
>pretentious

Putting some item descriptions in your game doesn't make you pretentious.
>>
>>337153590
What do you mean?
>>
>>337153229
>dark souls doesn't look like a ps2 game

No it looks like a good looking xbox hueg game. Shit ds1 and 2 both have ps1 trees. Comparing garbage messy graphics to shit graphics is useless.
>>
It's a Kingdom Hearts like to be honest family
>>
>>337153145
I think it's because everything started being called a soulslike or the darksouls of x or whatever, (why not the demon's souls of X? Whatever) so people got booty bothered and decided to do the same to souls games.
>>
>>337153145
They are nothing similar in terms of mechanics, or even combat outside "It's slow and you gotta dodge lol". I do usually recommend someone who likes one of them to try the other, because it seems like it garnishes the same type of enjoyment.
>>
>>337152809
the same could be said for Monster Hunter ripping off PSO
>>
File: 1425502680845.png (1 MB, 2129x1069) Image search: [Google]
1425502680845.png
1 MB, 2129x1069
in both games you control a human in 3rd person perspective, with control over the camera, lock on system, weapons have specific sets of attacks, they have specific hitboxes, enemies have specific attacks which also have hitboxes, you can dodge shit, block, and simmilar stuff using different equipment and items

there's item management, choosing your weapons and equipment, you have a stamina bar which you must manage and you're punished for depleting it at the wrong time, there are regular enemies, boss enemies, different areas with different themes (just kidding, every area in Souls games is dark, broody, depressing, disgusting)

the major differences between games are:
>in monhun you don't spend stamina to attack, in fact, attacking doesn't even stop your stamina recovery, unless it's a specific move of the weapon you're using
>in souls games there's a consistent, intercontected world which you must go around facing dangerous enemies, even at late game if you let your guard down early game enemies can kill you
>in monhun regular enemies are pathetic, and each area you go has multiple sub-areas which are interconnected, but each area is not connected to other areas
>you can't switch weapons in monhun during the actual gameplay, in Souls games you can at anytime, including having up to 3 weapons/shields in each hand and swap them at any point
>in monhun bosses are (usually) very large animals that move around specific areas, you can't see the damage you're dealing to enemies, bosses have huge health and you can't see their health bars, they have behavior patterns, will run at low health to other areas, or sometimes just because
>a hunt can last over half an hour in monhun, while in Souls games even the longest boss fights won't take over 5~10 minutes, unless you're handicapping yourself on purpose

they play very simmilarly, but the focus of the game is very different

I love both series
>>
>>337155624
/thread
>>
>>337155624
>lock on system
>Monhun
What the fuck, since when? Souls is casual shit and needs lock-on
>>
>>337157072
monhun has had a lock on system (that doesn't rotate your camera automatically at all times, only when you press L you'll get the camera re-centered on the monster) since 3
>>
>>337151556
They arent very similar
>>
>>337157302
Not in Port 3rd, was this shit added in the WiiU version?
>>
File: 1427702096883.jpg (127 KB, 1016x786) Image search: [Google]
1427702096883.jpg
127 KB, 1016x786
>>337157460
sorry, not on Tri, on 3 Ultimate

I haven't played Portable 3rd, so I assume it didn't have this lock on

it's bad anyways in general and more of a hindrance than something useful, but I guess it's helpful for new players or people who don't want to claw

best of all worlds, of course, is just having a second analog working properly
>>
>>337153895
Wtf are you talking about? Walk around Majula on DS2 running at 1080/60FPS and tell me you can't compare the graphics with fucking MH4U on 3DS.

Yeah there's shitty weird ass trees and other shit in the background of DS2 but it still looks miles better than MH.
>>
>>337152526
>one has rolling
>one has invincibility button
>>
>>337152526
So are you a scarecrow with a human brain or a human with a straw brain?
>>
Why won't they release MH on PC in english for EU/US servers? WHhhyyyy? Such a waste of the best online platform
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.