[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was up with Nintendo's weird obsession with water during
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: ninetendo.jpg (48 KB, 468x468) Image search: [Google]
ninetendo.jpg
48 KB, 468x468
What was up with Nintendo's weird obsession with water during the gba/gamecube days???

>codename Dolphin
> Mario Sunshine
>Zelda Windwaker
>Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire

Anything I'm missing here during this generation that was focused on the water theme? Always struck me as kind of a weird coincidence. Did Nintendo every say this was a theme of the generation or something? Did other generations have such motifs across games?
>>
They thought they'd be swimming in money
They ended up drowning in rushed deadlines
>>
>>337093141

/thread

Also would have accepted: They knew it was time to sink or swim.
>>
>>337092708
Waverace Bluestorm was a launch title.

Pikmin had alot of water in it too.
>>
File: cover_large.jpg (252 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
cover_large.jpg
252 KB, 600x849
>>337092708
The Wii had a focus on the sky (and space).

Wii U's focus has been on colors and light.
>>
File: nice_water.jpg (66 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
nice_water.jpg
66 KB, 600x600
>>337092708
Three games doesn't make much of an obsession.

If anything, perhaps they liked that GameCube's jump in power over N64 made it possible to have fancy water effects like reflections?

for example Melee's Fountain of Dreams
>>
>>337093238
Oh man. That clear water with marine life and wave and particle effects. The reason to get a gamecube. My brother forced me to get an xbox. Still regret it.
>>
They probably just wanted to show off that they could simulate water really well for the time for at least one or two games. Then, maybe after working on water like that for an entire game, the designers liked the theme and ended up with some weird water hang up.
>>
>>337093525
probably this, developers usually do stuff to show off the new hardware features. Big reason why Genesis and SNES games often had sprites that were too big for their own good, or why some PSX/N64 games were hideously inundated with low draw distance and/or framerates.
>>
File: Sonicchannel_chaos.png (288 KB, 672x696) Image search: [Google]
Sonicchannel_chaos.png
288 KB, 672x696
>>337092708
Same reason Sonic Adventure 1 had a water themed antagonist and subsequent final boss. Sega and Nintendo respectively were really proud that they could finally do water in a way that was better than anything they had accomplished previously. That only stands for the Gamecube, however. As far as Ruby and Sapphire are concerned they probably just fell in love with tropical settings around that time and rolled with it, but that's pure conjecture on my end.
>>
File: luigimirror.jpg (67 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
luigimirror.jpg
67 KB, 640x480
>>337093993
Luigi's Mansion heavily used semitransparent models and mirrors
Pikmin used a relatively high number of moving creatures on screen at once (and a lot happening off-screen)
Melee showed off some of GameCube's graphical features with Final Destination, Fountain of Dreams, Fighting Wireframes, Cloaking Device, and much more.

That's all just within one month after the GameCube launched.
>>
>>337093497
>Wii U's focus has been on colors and light
What besides Splatoon?
>>
>>337095549
"Paper Mario" Colour Splash
>>
>>337095549
that kirby game with the colouring and the yoshi yarn game
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.