[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DOOM IMPRESSIONS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: Doom-1080-Wallpaper.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Doom-1080-Wallpaper.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>I dig the art direction, a lot. At first it felt a bit too sci-fi and less satanical (even if the sci-fi was surely fascinating with its emphasis on heavy machinery and industrial settings, with some elements that reminded me of both Halo 4 and Warhammer 40k), but once you get to Hell... woah, you will not be disappointed. The character designs is equally great, I personally adore the designs of the various demons: they look menacing and grotesque, and it's super fun to tear them apart. And also, something that is a big plus in my book: the game is not afraid to use colors. Of course the palette will be mainly red and brownish, but the tones are super saturated, and here and there you will see some inspiring and jaw-dropping panoramas of damnation.

>The music is ACE. It's not always there, as when you are exploring it's mostly ambient effects and noises in the background, but when you start fighting and the soundtrack kicks in, it's fucking BADASS. Seriously, it's empowering as fuck, and it's another element that pushes you to be even more aggressive, more brutal and more lethal. Mick Gordon is really a beast (not that I had any doubt after the awesomeness heard in Killer Instinct!), and expect something beyond the crazy good industrial tunes. Gregorian chants in hell anyone?

>There is a lot of exploration: the levels are frankly pretty huge, elaborate and absolutely full of secrets. Lots of collectibles, data and power ups to find, and once per mission even some vey well hidden sections taken straight from the original Doom, with the graphics suddenly changing and becoming like the dream section seen in Wolfenstein TNO, to give you that sweet retro feeling (even if the enemy models will stay the same).
>>
>>337064413
>To my surprise, there is quite some plot. Nothing that really gets in the way of the action, but I wasn't even expecting so many dialogues, little cutscenes and that amount of info regarding the lore. It's no The Last of Us of course (the main character is really just a dull shell, pretty much), but it's still entertaining... and it reminded me of Dead Space a couple of times (the tone is similar, and also some of the events, with basically hell unleashed on the surface of Mars)

>The RPG like progression of the main character is another element that took me by surprise: you are expected to explore the levels and fight with style (I'll get to that...) in order to become more powerful. By doing so, you will improve your personal abilities - i.e. more grenades, quicker weapon swap, better defense but also your weapons (each of them has two secondary fire modes activated with LT, plus some other abilities like quicker cooldowns, more shells etc etc). It's nothing mindblowing, but it's a nice touch that adds depth to the experience (also because to fully max out a weapon you need to complete final special task like "kill 5 Mancubi with a Charged Rifle Shots" or stuff like that).
>>
>>337064443
>The pacing and the way combat happens is honestly a bit weird, and I think that not everyone will enjoy this: you basically explore areas that are/feel more or less empty, then you get to certain points and... BAM! you fight like hell. Basically, enemies start spawning around you almost in waves, and you have to survive and kill them all to move on. Mind that you are not constrained in a small area (like a single room), yet the fight happens in a particular (and usually not so small) place, so you will definitely experience a bit of an arena-like feel. In that sense, the E3 demo with the Hell setting is really representative of the whole experience: the level is there at your disposal, and you have to be smart to use it at your advantage: some of the creatures will chase you, other will wait for you, others will keep jumping here and there... And you will have to simply bring mayhem all around, traversing the level at full speed, double jumping all over, hiding for just a couple of seconds inside a grotto, finding power ups and shells that are there to assist you in your massacre. The soundtrack will pump straight through your veins, adrenaline will rush, you will have to act smart and sometimes even improvise, judging what to do in a split second (which will result in either a beautiful victory or a shameful game over!) and there will definitely be blood. Like A LOT of it.

>Once you've killed everyone, the enemies will stop spawning, so you will be completely safe and you won't encounter any more monsters in that area (which kinds of removes the tension IMO, but that's clearly the way they designed the game).
>>
>>337064524

>Let's get real: as it was evident since the E3 presentation, there is a ton of emphasis on finishers. It's not just a matter of being spectacular per se (also because they kinda become the norm at the 27th Glory Kill agains an Imp), but it's also something that's deeply rooted in the game design itself. And, of course, that won't please everyone. Let me explain a bit how it works: when a demon is hurt enough, he will glow blue - with a very distinctive and honestly kinda annoying visual signal. That means you can perform a Glory Kill on him: if you are close enough by pressing R3 you will fuck him up for good with a quick and super gory finisher à la Mortal Kombat (the animation depends on the enemy type and on your position, and they are of course nasty and gruesome). A Glory Kill not only means that your opponent will instantly go down: it will also mean more rewards for you, like more health, other bullets and... more style points. Yes, because the game features - surprisingly, at least for me - a system that rewards you for killing your foes with style. Imagine something not too different from the one seen in Bulletstorm, even if a bit simpler: you can get up to 5 UAC shields per mission, and each one of them is used to improve your weapons as discussed before. So, willing or not, if you want to play well and become more powerful, you need to (ab)use the Glory Kills as much as possible. How much will you enjoy this, will depend solely on you: it's certainly a particular mechanic that pretty much defines this new chapter of Doom. Consider this: at times I found myself attacking purposely from a distance, in order not to hurt a demon too much, just to get the change to trigger the Glory Kill... Which is kind of a paradox, but still.
>>
Where the fuck is the anon uploading the video?
>>
>>337064413
I refuse to read all this.
>>
File: D44M sucks - Pelit 5-2016.jpg (1 MB, 1278x2112) Image search: [Google]
D44M sucks - Pelit 5-2016.jpg
1 MB, 1278x2112
YOU JUST HAD YOUR THREAD DELETED, YOU ZENIMAX SHILL FUCKER.

On related note, the biggest Finnish game magazine hated D44M beta in this month's number.
>>
I'm actuall really excited to play the multiplayer. It's pretty much Halo without all the tacked on ESPORTS.
>>
is g2a safe to use? when do you get the key if you buy from it? i wanna play it this friday but not too willing to pay $60 for it.
>>
File: tl;dr.jpg (71 KB, 392x500) Image search: [Google]
tl;dr.jpg
71 KB, 392x500
>>
literally the same wall of text that was posted in a thread several hours ago.
>>
>>337065165
the said wall of text literally was archived couple minutes ago. >>337024189
>>
File: IMG_20160509_195615.jpg (240 KB, 1080x1569) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160509_195615.jpg
240 KB, 1080x1569
>>337064413
Okay, this is obvious shilling at this point. And it's doing a shitty job, because this info (along with the fact that Bethesda isn't sending out review copies until RELEASE DAY) is making me want to cancel my preorder. This style system shit and relying on melee finishers sounds awful, as does the whole "locked in an area while waves of enemies spawn" thing. Why couldn't they have just kept the same structure as the older games? Why did they have to fuck everything up?
>>
>Was going to buy the game
>Hear Bethseda is at it again with reviews only allowing them on release day
>No longer interested
Its going to flop isnt it? Shame i was having fun with it to.
>>
>>337064878
>only talk about the beta NOW
why is Finnish such cuck. everybody else have discussed it to shit amd made their mind already.
>>
>>337066103
>Hear Bethseda is at it again with reviews only allowing them on release day

This isn't just a review embargo, they aren't making review copies available at all until release day.
>>
This isn't shilling, dumbasses, this is a shitpost of such sublime subtly that it nearly escaped even my steady gaze.

This Anon knew how strong the Doom arguments and Shilling Controversy has become recently, and he created a thread that's bound to bring the worst of both worlds in one beautiful masterstroke.

OP, I salute you on your refined technique
>>
>>337066103
I didn't care for the beta but had hope for the single player. But yeah, no review copies until release day killed that hope.
>>
Multiplayer was trash and derivative.

Single player looks good, I watched the stream, and then the NVidia gameplay pretty much got me to preorder.

The snapmap looks like it could be fun. You'll get some super mario maker level sadist levels.
>>
File: 1456932578773.jpg (125 KB, 1101x800) Image search: [Google]
1456932578773.jpg
125 KB, 1101x800
>>337064413
your game is shit and no amount of shilling will help you recover
tell that to your masters after you have collected your thirty pieces of silver
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.