[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So now that it's been 8 something years, we can all agree
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: Sonic_unleashed_boxart.jpg (32 KB, 240x300) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_unleashed_boxart.jpg
32 KB, 240x300
So now that it's been 8 something years, we can all agree the werehog sections weren't so bad, right?
>>
>>337030289
agreed
>>
Better than Shadow vehicle sections and Big fishing, worse than emerald hunting.
>>
Of course Anon, it gave us this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlNa7RQju7Y
>>
No, they were still pretty damn bad. Especially the platforming sections and balance beam shit.

>>337030779
I hope this is sarcasm. Always drowned out the superior level music.
>>
File: Celeryman.gif (548 KB, 203x335) Image search: [Google]
Celeryman.gif
548 KB, 203x335
>FPS so low that you can't even do QTEs
>Slow as fuck in general
>Mash one button to win

They were shit. Music was chill as fuck, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFIn8fjnfd0
>>
Nah, they sucked. Had great music but the shitty battle theme always interrupted it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzQ7wKzuAjU
>>
>>337030289
if they

>didn't have that shitty annoying fight theme interrupt the great music every five seconds
>actually explained how to play them so people didn't just button mash one button and then lose to hammer enemies
>were a bit shorter and weren't full of blatant "slowly carry this thing to another thing to open a door" bullshit and more pure platforming

they would be good and not hated (the DLC levels fix the last one and they're pretty awesome)

it's a shame because the basic idea is quite good, they just kinda fucked it up until the DLC
>>
>>337030289
They were really, really bad. Litterally mindless mash one butten to win combat, you dont need to block, dodge or do anything special at all. Poor enemy types, Slow and fun to control and bad bosses. It almost does everything that makes a fun action game fun wromg
>>
>>337030289
They were okay,it was the first time in a long time that a platformer gave me a challenge,it sure was more enjoyable than the latest Mario game I can tell you that
>>
I've played worse beat em ups, but I'm a modern Sonic apologist so I have a high tolerance for this stuff. Still not the worst thing ever though like some people would claim. Needs a PC port wouldn't have been as bad with a better framerate.
>>
>Take up far more game time than speed stages
>Clashes hard with the other half of the game where you're going F-Zero GX speeds.
>Platforming is OK, but most of the night stages are braindead combat sections or non-puzzles where you push blocks/move a gem to a pedestal.
>Is the main reason for the Yakuza leveling system that serves no purpose other than to make the beginning werehog levels as braindead and sloggy as possible.
>The really nice night music gets drowned out by the awful battle theme every few steps.
>You're probably gonna have to replay them if you're not diligent enough about medal collecting, since you need far more Sun Medals than Moon Medals, and Sun Medals are mostly found in werehog stages.
>In an interview a Sonic Team member admitted that they were just put in to pad out the game because day levels are expensive to make

Nah it's pretty bad in the context that they're 15-20 minute interruptions to your fun, even more if you have to do two night stages in a row.
>>
>>337030289
like everything in this game the DLC is way better then the actual levels because they aren't aimed at tiny children

you also need to put all your exp into unlocking new moves and figure out that you can just hold the button to grapple to things within range instead of waiting for the finicky lock on so you can go fast

It's a much better IDEA for a way to make the game longer between the modern sonic levels that end in five seconds then the stuff the later games did, they just needed to refine it and have you play as knuckles or something instead of even furrier sonic and people would've loved it
>>
Generations feels way too start-and-stop compared to Unleashed's day levels. Am I broken?
>>
>>337030289
Auto camera during precision platforming is the worst thing in existence.

>encounter narrow beam you have to tightrope-walk across
>"Let me guess, the camera is going to fuck around and cause me to fall off even though I'm pressing up."
>it does
>>
>>337032146
if you knew that was going to happen why didn't you adjust for it?

did you also blame the game when you got knocked off a cliff by an enemy that was obviously charging up it's big "knock you off the cliff" move?
>>
This game would've been GOOD without these 40 minute beat em up sections. They finally removed all of his retarded sidekicks and still found a way to fuck up.
>>
>>337032282
>if you knew that was going to happen why didn't you adjust for it?
I did, but it's not something that should ever happen in a precision platforming segment, ever.
>>
>>337032287
They added the shitty chipmunk thing though.
>>
>>337030289
Is not that the Werehog was bad is just that there wasn't enough Sonic in this game, i wanted to go fast, this game looked so promising

I wish they would've done something like chop Sonic's speed in half and make you run slower with the Werehog while doing some cool 3D platforming instead of this God of War clone they brought us

Also the Wii port is fucking atrocious 1 Sonic stage, 4 werehog stages, what the fuck where they thinking
>>
>>337032456
Unless I forgot you didn't have to play as him. I don't mind those fuckers standing around, just don't make me play them.
>>
>>337032456
He's not even playable and pretty likeable, but I'm pretty sure you only dislike him because the internet said you should.
>>
>>337032947

>pretty likeable

Maybe if you really like Scrappy Doo or that manchild-sounding dinosaur from Star Fox Adventures
>>
File: 1455301699663.gif (433 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
1455301699663.gif
433 KB, 240x180
>>337030289
I didn't hate them, but I'd rather be playing day stages. I suppose it was nice to take a break from going fast and getting some chill music in return. But they really dragged on too long. Fuck Eggmanland in every way. The lack of drop shadows fucked me up so much in the pipe walking segments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWsdcpsyHIg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzQ7wKzuAjU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFIn8fjnfd0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF7N8ioyflQ
>>
>>337033256
Except Chipp actually accomplished his task, and made a noble sacrifice unlike your examples. You also aren't literally forced to deal with him unlike those other characters if you don't like him.
>>
>>337030289
The music for the werehog sections were amazing.
>>
>>337030289
I've been saying it for eight fucking years. All they had to do was make it Knuckles instead. The game would have been legendary.
>>
>>337031801
>In an interview a Sonic Team member admitted that they were just put in to pad out the game because day levels are expensive to make
I fucking hate this excuse that Sonic Team uses to justify the lack of Day Stages. I get that Day stages are expensive to make, but what they SHOULD have done to pad the game out is create more stages like the DLC stages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM7uOIGa3qU

It's clearly it's own stage with its own layout, but it's constructed from existing assets instead of brand-new act-exclusive assets. If they just had all of the DLC Day Stages in there from launch, got rid of the Werehog stages, and maybe included something like Sonic Colors' Simulator mode (in which bonus stage Chaos Emerald levels were put together from low-poly chunks), we could've had a whole game of Sonic stages. It wouldn't have been perfect but it'd have taken the same amount of resources as the Werehog did and would've made for a better game overall
>>
>>337030680
>better than Big fishing

People exaggerate how terrible these sections were. Definitely not the highlight of SA but compared to a very mundane and lazily-made brawler that was quite literally smash a button to win coupled with platforming revolving around shitty ledge detection for half of the game was much more of a buzz kill than some shitty frog fishing stages.
>>
>>337034535
The expenses don't come from making assets but from building the static lighting. It took about a week of 24/7 processing to bake the lightmap and GI data for a daytime level but only two-three days for night levels and hubs. You can't modify the level or any of the textures while the lighting is baking and if you make changes after the bake is finished, you'll need to redo it all again from scratch. You'll also need to redo it all if you spot any leaking lights or visible patchy quality in the final bake. This can add up to months of wasted time just getting a level right and with limited time until a product ships, they just can't afford to make a lot of huge daytime levels.
>>
Combat part of the Werehog was boring, the platforming part was atrocious. It wouldn't even be so bad if everything wasn't a bottomless pit. Eggmanland, and Skyscraper Scamper Night and Dragon Road Night are the worst offenders
>>
>>337030680
>worse than Emerald hunting
Nah, nigga. I spent 30 minutes in an Emerald stage because I was looking around aimlessly. Emerald Hunting sucks.
>>
>>337034535
Well that's what they did with Generations. There are only "day" stages and all the Challenge Acts are all new layouts made form arranging assets of the main stages in new patterns. And even if you count the Challenge Acts people complain the game is very short.

Kind of silly to criticize Sonic Team for something they did back in 2008 when they literally did everything the way you suggested a couple games down the road.
>>
>>337030289
Can you just get a trip already?
>>
Even if you insist the Werehog "isn't so bad," no one actually has fun playing it. No one willingly goes back to S-rank a Werehog stage because it was so much fun. Even at it's absolute best it's still just a filler element get in between of what you really want to play, and that's unacceptable when said filler is 80%-90% of the playtime.
>>
File: BWXdjW0.gif (37 KB, 457x457) Image search: [Google]
BWXdjW0.gif
37 KB, 457x457
>>337036469
>The expenses don't come from making assets but from building the static lighting. It took about a week of 24/7 processing to bake the lightmap and GI data for a daytime level but only two-three days for night levels and hubs
Jesus fucking Christ, that makes it twice as retarded. If they had to sacrifice consistency, length, and additional daytime levels just to get the fucking lighting right then they should have just pulled a Nintendo and just given the game a 'unique' artstyle that looks quirky but actually takes up a quarter of the resources.

I'm not a 'graphics don't matter' fag, but if you have to make half of your game shit just to have impressive lighting then you're a fucking retarded development team that needs to be burned down and rebuilt from scratch.
>>
>>337032510
Daytime stages in the Wii version aren't even fun, they're like doing Time Trials on a Mario Kart track. Clearly Wii/PS2 version only exists because that's what marketing execs ordered, no one should actually try to play it.
>>
>>337036469
>>337038454
To be fair, Unleashed is still the most visually impressive Sonic ever and the day levels are gorgeous.
>>
>>337030289
Nah, they were boring as fuck.
>>
>>337038663
It's not worth it when they can't even keep the framerate though.
>>
>>337038736
Sure but that's more the fault of the underlying hardware for being continuously shit.
>>
nah

I was playing through it for the first time a bit ago (had to stop for various reasons but I'll get back to it, roughly halfway through) and the night sections were a massive downgrade from the daytime segments. The only thing that was worse about the game was the godawful framerate issues
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.