[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How similar to Monster Hunter is the Souls series? Just finished
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 14
How similar to Monster Hunter is the Souls series? Just finished DS3 and looking for similar games, I've heard people compare the two because of the emphasis on skill and patience.

Also, what's a good MH game for someone looking to get into the series?
>>
>>336963419
It's way harder than Dark souls and a lot more different. Gameplay is fantastic though so it's worth it.
>>
>>336963419
DS has no time limit when fighting while MH does, MH has more healing items that can be used in combat but DS makes up for it by having rolls having more i-frames, and both games tend to have surprises in them in one or another. Besides those, there are some noticeable differences.
>>
>>336963419
Monster hunter is slower than dark souls.
It's also pretty much only boss-fights.
If you like a grindy game with great gameplay you'll love it. If you don't care about grinding it might not be for you.

>>336964026
The time limit rarely makes any difference though.
You get 50 minutes for most hunts and not many hunts take more than 15-20 minutes.
>>
>>336964231

How grindy would you say the game is? Like, grindy enough to get old? If the boss battles are fun enough, I wouldn't mind replaying them
>>
>>336963419
MonHun puts more emphasis on positioning as opposed to DS's timing, without saying it isn't important in MH as well.
>>
>>336964231
I'm aware that time limits barely make any difference, but sometimes the presence of a time limit can change a person's interest entirely.
>>
>>336964516
It's pretty grindy but you can GIT GUD and grind faster.
Still full of RNG bullshit though when it comes to items.
>>
Dark Souls has dungeons and environments you explore.

Monster Hunter is JUST hunting bosses, in the same 6 maps you have available to you. Of course, there's A LOT of fucking bosses in MH at least.
>>
>>336964516
People do get burned out eventually, but it can take anywhere from 100-400 hours if they get hooked initially
>>
>>336964516
until g-rank you don't have to grind for more than 1 set of armor per rank, really

some of the upgrades can take a few fights, and some of the rare materials are just stupid rare drops, but it shouldn't be too much
>>
>>336964516
It's grindyness is dependent on how much stuff you want, one in a while you have to take a trip just to gather various bits and pieces but the true grind comes from getting drops for weapons and armor sets. Hence the amount of grinding is equal to the amount of unique equipment you want.
>>
>>336964516
The whole game is a grind. It's not a bad thing though since the gameplay loop is great and you always set up new goals for yourself.
Grind monster to get armor/weapon to hunt bigger monsters -> Repeat.
For reference, to get a full suit of armor from a monster it takes maybe 4-6 kills depending on your luck, where each kill takes 10-20 minutes depending on skill/if you're playing online.
Don't make the mistake thinking it's an action game, it's a hunting game through and through.

I love both games, but I really don't think dark souls and monster hunter have much in common other than that they are both third person melee games.
>>
>>336964813
>10-20 minutes
get good
some of my hunts take 2-5 minutes
>>
>>336964870
We're considering from a new players perspective, especially if he's playing alone.
>>
>>336963419
Oh yeah, and if you've got friends to play with, it's a great co-op game as well. The online works alright for playing with pubs, but it comes with all the regular pub shennanigans.
>je suis monté
>>
MH is a grinding game in the sense that the motivation to keep playing is getting better gear, thankfully the monsters are very fun and difficult enough to make it challenge even with good equipment. Also playing with friends cuts hunts down to like a fourth the time. Game doesn't really start until you hit G rank.
>>
>>336964870
He's probably talking about p3rd or tri while you're talking about mh4u.
>>
File: hwat.jpg (159 KB, 627x878) Image search: [Google]
hwat.jpg
159 KB, 627x878
>play 4U after playing X
>monsters falling and staggering all over the place even though I'm rusty as fuck

And people say the limits weren't raised
>>
>>336965047
At least you can kick all the shitters, just take a look at their set/charm/slots. I regularly see guys without decorations/talismans, and with a hacked late game set.
>>
>>336963419
Just get X (Generations in the West) when it comes out in a month or two
>>
>>336965168
MH is like a bicycle, I soloed White Fatalis after a 6 month break.
>>
>>336965586
I have a bad habit of usually only hunting things I need and not just whatever, and then always needing things from monsters I fucking hate

So for a while after burning out I kept getting the MH itch and then tried to shake the rust off with fights like nuclear brachy or the master's test

X is giving me the same problem with ember dino and not diorex
>>
>>336963419
In my opinion they aren't really that similar, but I can sort of see why they're compared so much.

The boss fights are usually handled the same way though, so I'm pretty sure my couple hundred hours in MH have made me legitimately better at Dark Souls and action games in general.
>>
>>336964516
If you're smart you won't have to replay a boss more than 3 times to get what you need to progress. Later bosses will require more grind but by the time you get there you'll already have 100+ hours and be in love with the game.
>>
>>336963419
Souls is a bit like a Zelda in execution, having adventure aspects and hidden secrets and and actual narrative progression to go with your exploration, whilst Monster Hunter is a bit more like a fighting game, but PvE only, in that you choose your opponent and have to understand both your moveset and your enemy's and how they match up against each other or how you'll need to adapt your play style, the timing and openings of both you and them and so on.

Both emphasize slow, weighty, methodical combat where you need to understand the limitations of your attack options as well as your enemies'. Both reward prediction and preparation. Both reward repeat plays by having you become more familiar with the game and what you're combating, although they do it differently with Souls games having new game plus and Monhun games having you facing the same enemy either multiple times as you grind for their equipment, or simply multiple times as a consequence of progression into harder quests with new parameters, new iterations of the same monster with new moves, or later tiers of the same monster with various buffs.

Monhun... doesn't have exploration, not really. You are teleported to various regions upon leaving for your hunt, and those regions get reused pretty much forever. They may consist of up to over a dozen smaller "areas" segregated by loading barriers, but they're fairly consistent. You're introduced to new regions slowly over time but don't ever expect more than a small handful of fully fleshed out regions, with some one-off arena-style areas unique to certain special monsters or hunts.

Monster Hunter Tri/3 Ultimate felt like the first Monhun to really try and flesh out its NPCs a little but ultimately there wasn't THAT much to its narrative. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate was the first Monster Hunter to actually have any kind of story and actual character depth, although still it's not exactly a series specialty nor something you should take as standard.
>>
>>336964870
I'm glad I don't have to put up with you in real life. This is sad.
>>
Alright, think I'll be starting by emulating Freedom Unite using the PSP emulator. I hear lots of love for the newer MHs, but those are on the 3DS or consoles so that's a no go

Gonna make a qt brown hunter-fu and see where things go from there. Ty yall
>>
>>336967872
>qt brown hunter-fu
You're already a step above most players, anon.
>>
File: 1430098625467.png (133 KB, 1348x734) Image search: [Google]
1430098625467.png
133 KB, 1348x734
>>336967406
>If you're smart you won't have to replay a boss more than 3 times to get what you need to progress

I remember having to kill 20 lagis for the low rank set back in Tri because that fucker refused to give me horns despite breaking them every time and breaking him down to a science, and then I needed even more to make his weapons

The desire sensor is a fickle mistress, and will have her way with you when and however she wants
>>
>>336967872
No no nope nope no nope.

Start with P3rd. I'm serious. Freedom Unite is deprecated as HELL these days. Go back if you become starved for content and want to experience how far the series has come, but seriously don't start with it.
>>
File: hammer.webm (3 MB, 1440x816) Image search: [Google]
hammer.webm
3 MB, 1440x816
>>336967872
Good luck anon, you'll need it against some of the fucked up hitboxes. If you can get over them and you enjoy how the game plays you should have fun.
>>
>>336967872
Why's the 3DS a no go? Do you just not own one yet or is it some brand/company stuff?
>>
>>336967872
The best Monhuns are on 3DS tho, enjoy outdated generations of MonHun with clunky animations/hitboxes and less mechanics.
>>
>>336968210

>The best Monhuns are on 3DS tho

Are they ever going to get off the fucking handhelds?
>>
>>336968434
Handhelds are the best market for nips, so probably nope.
>>
>>336968023

I've heard peeps vouch for either of them, will DL both and switch if it turns out to be too much BS.

>>336968210
I don't feel like there's enough games I'd like to play to justify the purchase of a $150 handheld. Wanna try the MHs and Virtue's Last Reward, but for now, that's it
>>
>>336968434
You better hope for that NX handheld console hybrid.
>>
>>336963863
>have never played a Souls game
>MH is harder
So is the whole "Dark Souls is hard" thing a meme? I could see how you might argue that MH is a bit tricky until you get the hang of it, but how casual does one have to be to make such a big deal about the difficulty of a game that's easier than MH?
>>
>>336968514
>>336968626

I loved the hell out of the Wii game, but I don't want to play on a handheld. Shit sucks.
>>
3DS is for fucking babies, how is it a question as to whether or not playing it on the 3DS is acceptable or not? The only way they're going to get it off that godforsaken handheld for 10 year olds is if you don't buy it. But no you people are so desperate you slurp it up and validate Capcom's choices. Enjoy being in the same pit as the toddlers who play Mario, because the franchise is going to sink right with them when Nintendo goes and Capcom decides to go nip publisher only.
>>
File: 1450273787000.jpg (341 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1450273787000.jpg
341 KB, 1024x768
>>336969025
>this autismal assanger
>>
Alright guys

Favorite weapon(s), why favorite
Favorite monster(s), why favorite

GS, HH
First is satisfying, second gives me a teamwork feeling.

Nargacuga, Deviljho. Two motherfuckers gave me chills in my first MH title.
>>
>>336968918
Souls games are not even hard, you need to look carefully and make a strategy to not get surprised by ambushes.
Same with MH you need to make a strategy to hunt a monster, gear yourself, craft traps, etc.

Only retards think those games are hard.

Although G rank can be tricky sometimes
>>
>>336968515
Kid Icarus: Uprising is pretty good, if your standards of humour allow for some pretty cheesy characterization which is part of the game's charm.

I guess despite being a Souls guy, you're not a Zelda guy? Because ALBW is pretty good, although definitely pretty simple.

Also you can get several Shantaes from the eShop which are pretty good, too.
>>
>>336968918
Both games are hard by casual standards, but both are games that get considerably easier for fans of the series as you understand what to expect from them.

Souls' difficulty largely depends on your build, while the same is also true depending on how you gear up in Monhun.
>>
>>336968918
Early souls is hard-ish, early MH is easy
Late souls is easy, late MH is pretty hard.
>>
I don't get the "M-muh monhun is harder than darksouls"

I can't fucking play darksouls at all, I fucking suck at it, I've never finished a souls game and I find it extremely frustrating and infuriating, Monhun on the other hand I love, I even find it comfy (especially freedom and MH3U) the fights are much faster and they feel like they flow better, but the difficulty in dark souls is way amped up at least in my opinion

That said, OP, you should probably play monhun if you enjoy grinding and fighting monsters 50 times bigger than yourself, the "difficulty" spikes when you start doing water combat and the monster variants such as pink rathian and azure rathalos, the weapon variety and swordplay is top tier too

Go gunlance or katana for maximun fun
>>
>>336963419
The only thing they have in common is rolling and stages. Other then that its apples & oranges.
>>
>>336969025
>pretending Capcom gives a shit about our western wants when it comes to Monster Hunter
The only real concession made for us has been online play being integrated into the handheld games.
>>
Gonna be honest. Not a big fan of how the Switch Axe's arts in Generations focus pretty much exclusively on sword mode, except for Translash.

When will we be able to charge huge chunks of phial into axe burst attacks?

>overhead chop suddenly drops like a fucking jet
>forward thrust moves you like a roll or two forward
>upswing sends you flying up to hit super high and maybe even perform a jump attack with overhead chop or a combo morph
>>
>>336969271

>Nameless King is easy.

Eh.
>>
>>336968918
The Souls franchise's reputation for being difficult comes from Bamco's marketing campaign and word-of-mouth from Demon's Souls, plus the low skill level of the average gamer. Dark Souls tagline is outright "Prepare to Die", so you can see what Bamco was trying to accomplish.
>>
>>336968515
>I've heard peeps vouch for either of them, will DL both and switch if it turns out to be too much BS.
You're probably doing the right thing if you plan on playing both, going from P3rd to Unite would priobably be kind of rough since the latter feels stiffer overall. Playing them in release order sounds smarter to me. If you get really mad at some of the shitty hitboxes, you can just switch to P3rd. If you still enjoy the game despite issues like these, you should enjoy P3rd as well and it's a win-win situation.
>>
>>336968515
I bought a new 3ds just to play MH. Totally worth the several hundred hours Ive put into the game
>>
File: 1361992630262.png (2 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1361992630262.png
2 MB, 1680x1050
>>336969106
HBG, IG
Pumping monsters full of berries with HBG feels so fucking satisfying, and I love glaive/staff weapons.
Gore Magala, Brachydios
Both of them are just cool as fuck
>>
>>336969629
Honestly, I found the Pontiff harder.
95% of the time you explore levels, and Lothric Castle-Kiln part was easy.
>>
>>336969682
>>336968918
Forgot to mention that as a result, playing and beating Dark Souls became a badge of honor for gamer cred, and why you have people calling other games "the Dark Souls of [franchise]."
>>
Its harder but also 100x more grindy which honestly detracts from the series as a whole.
>>
>>336969914

How? Pontiff didn't bribe the camera.

Either way, both are definitely more difficult than anything I ever did in Monster Hunter. But I haven't played much of the series.
>>
>>336969314
I think its that both are action games with an emphasis on patience and positioning and a focus on memorable boss fights. Also weapon variety and yes, rolling.
>>
>>336969882
>yfw in-built bullets in Generations
>>
>>336970095
Do you mean you didn't play enough MH or Souls?
Either way, I can't believe that 140 GQ Rajang/Zinogre is easier than Nameless King.
>>
Lv 140 Apex Zinogre is harder to solo than anything in any Souls game. Fact.
>>
>>336970395

Well, either really. I've played a couple games in both series. I don't know what 140 GQ Rajang/Zingore is.
>>
>>336969106
Gunlance because it makes me feel like I'm wielding a nuclear silo with melee capabilities, the shields are also cool as all fuck

Duramboros definitely, it was the first mobster that audibly made me say "augh shit boi" in public on the metro with that hilarious fucking helicopter dropbomb
>>
>>336970601
>I don't know what 140 GQ Rajang/Zingore is.
Pain.
>>
>>336970692
Never understood Duramboros lovers, sorry, but for me he's clunky and as fun as FU Black Diablos. He's got a really nice design thoigh.
>>
>>336969106
GS for being GS, HH for smashing faces and helping others, LBG for DAKKA

Zingore,tigrex,Narga and Akantor. just love their moves and fighting them in general, it's really satisfactory.
>>
File: MH4U endgame.jpg (910 KB, 1228x1193) Image search: [Google]
MH4U endgame.jpg
910 KB, 1228x1193
>>336970601
MH4U has a thing called guild quests, which go as high as Lv140. By that point the monsters are pushed beyond their normal limits. People do them to get a chance of obtaining relics that might be either dogshit or better than crafted weapons, so it's an endgame thing.

Apex is also a thing that the same game has, not only the monster is made larger but they also enter a powered-up state with some extra properties, and your weapons bounce off most parts of their body unless you use a certain item that lasts a short time. If they have variants, they usually gain properties they have until you knock them out of this state.

Rajang is a bull-monkey thing that goes SSJ. Zinogre is a fast reptile thunderdog. Power them up and they're fucking brutal.
>>
>tfw no MH4U because third world
>>
File: 46395939_p40_master1200.jpg (264 KB, 833x850) Image search: [Google]
46395939_p40_master1200.jpg
264 KB, 833x850
>>336969106
Greatsword

Zinogre
>>
>>336970601
Let me put it this way.

Low Rank is "Easy" difficulty.
High Rank is "Normal" difficulty.
G-Rank is "Hard" difficulty.
Guild Quest Level 86+ is G-rank.
GQ 126+ is G-rank+.
GQ 136-140(max) is G-rank++.

And this is a game in which your gear only goes up to G-rank.

Furthermore, there is a mechanic wherein sometimes a monster can come as a "frenzied" version, where it is a lot faster, deals more damage, and inflicts a status effect where if you're not aggressive enough you take even more damage than usual and lose any and all health regen no matter how minor, while if you're aggressive enough you get a 15% crit chance boost plus immunity to the status effect for a short while. They tend to show up in later ranks of guild quests more often.

There is another, further state of Frenzy, known as Apex, pretty much guaranteed at the final ranks of GQ. They're even more insane, having hides so fucking hard that all attacks are guaranteed to bounce unless you hit very specific parts, even if you use special attacks that certain weapons have that are typically guaranteed not to bounce, or a special armour skill that prevents bouncing. On top of this, they typically gain new attacks that they typically don't have access to unless they're a recoloured iteration of their species. And finally, all elemental and status effects are nullified during their Apex state. You have items that you can use to knock them out of the apex state and back to normal for a short time, but you really need to be aggressive to apply it quickly enough before your time limit runs out and you have to wait for the items to cool down.

Apex is one of the most infuriating and unfun aspects of MH4U, but in all honesty GQs are largely optional most of the time unless you're grinding for relic weapons or apex crystals for final weapon upgrades, and it's no doubt that those that take on Apex are among the elite of the elite.
>>
>MH thread with "Dark Souls" written in the OP
>No shitposting
So this is night time /v/, huh?
>>
>>336972280
no its just a monster hunter thread
>>
>>336972663
Comfy stuff. By the way, is a N3DS a must if I want to play the new ones, or would a normal 3DS/2DS be good enough if I don't care about 3D effects? Am I late to the party, or is online still alive?
>>
>>336972663
This, MH threads are often pretty comfy.
>>
>>336972837
A regular 3ds works but a n3ds gets significant improved performance.
>>
>>336972837
Online is still plenty alive, and an old 3DS/2DS will work but you have do deal with a bit of graphical frustration.

Probably the biggest thing you'd need to learn to cope with is how to hold it for long periods, and that'll depend on how you play.
>>
>>336972837
If you already have 3ds, play it like that. Otherwise, N3ds is definitely a better experience.
>>
>>336972837
I played a lot on my normal 3ds, the thing that changes the most is the load times.
You are a bit late to the party yes but theres enough people playing endgame, im not sure early.
What i can tell you is that my first mh was the Wii U one, and even when i got it really late, i went through 2 characters and always found just enough people to play with.
>>
>>336972837
If you don't already own a 3DS of some kind, just go for the N3DS. The built-in C-nub and ZL/ZR and the performance boost are worth it. I'm not usually a graphics whore but the graphics on MH4U were poor enough that when I saw what an improvement there was on textures, shadows and framerate on the New series of 3DS, I didn't hesitate in the slightest, and I guarantee you it's going to be necessary for Gen because Monhun games are unoptimized as fuck.

Like, the 3DS could feasibly run Monhun a fucking LOT better than it currently does, graphically, but they're really not trying to make a new engine that takes advantage of the 3DS's hardware at all. Only MH4U on the N3DS really did this to any degree.

I'm not saying 3DS hardware or even N3DS hardware are great by any stretch of the imagination, but fucking seriously it's obvious that they're not taking advantage of even what the 3DS CAN do, aside from the customizable bottom screen stuff which I really do appreciate.
>>
>>336965946
No matter how long I've got into the game Brachy always seems like a stubborn bitch to kill without trouble.
>>
>>336972267
am I "elite of the elite" if I just spin2win with para DBs making lots of openings for the other hunters? Its easy to pull it off for Rajang but Zinogre is a fucking nightmare.
>>
File: PhoenixwRIGHT.png (249 KB, 557x605) Image search: [Google]
PhoenixwRIGHT.png
249 KB, 557x605
>>336968626

>>336968434

Or just wait for them to show the NX encompasses a handheld and home console. Same games, different style of play yo.
>>
>>336964516
Its Grindy as fuck and the desire sensor will piss you the fuck off. If you get hooked though the game is really fun.
>>
>>336969106
Dual Blades, I like the style and demon mode is fun.

Steve, because he's shiny.
>>
>>336973650
If you hit the monster and don't get hit back, that's elite enough for most people.
>>
>>336969106
CHARGE. BLADE.
Guard point is beyond fun and the versatility is great to have.
Zinogre is my favorite monster. I love the way it looks and moves and I have a fetish for lightning powers.
>>
>>336963419
Is that a dildo disguised as a weapon?
>>
>>336973650
I think I meant elite of the elite solo, but it's still pretty elite if you can organize hunting parties for 140gqs without carting to failure.
>>
>>336964231
It sure made a difference to me playing solo.
Could not for the life of me kill g rank Teostra without the timer running out.
>>
>>336974025
Jesus, I can only imagine how boring and tedious those fights would be solo.
>>
File: 1335976871055.jpg (29 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1335976871055.jpg
29 KB, 200x200
>>336963419
There aren't really any comparisons I can make without getting extremely general like "you fight big or small monsters with weapons like greatswords or sword and shield and upgrade them by grinding for materials oh and always cut off the tail".

They're two completely different games. The only games I've played that I felt beared many similarities to Monster Hunter's gameplay are Dragon's Dogma and Toukiden
>>
>>336973781
You should know that they nerfed Charge Blade quite a bit in MHGen. Guard Points for instance will always continue whatever action was being performed when you used them, the Ultra Burst no longer has shockwaves and on top of that has a smaller range of direction correction before execution. Motion values have been seriously tweaked. Shield thrust cannot combo into Ultra Burst, but will always cancel into a shield charge, and even then only a yellow one which is weaker than red now. Furthermore the amount of time from each phial is half that of loading into red from axe mode.
>>
>>336974025
I did Teostra 140 GQ solo and I am a 7/10 player, nowhere near elite tbqh. Elite players are doing speedruns of GQs.
>>
>>336974417
>>336973781
Although, the Perfect Guard of Bushido Charge Blade is quite good, and if you liked Guard Points it is... quite a bit easier, sure, but I don't think it's any less satisfying.
>>
>>336974560
I dunno much about it but if I can still block a roar and counter with a stun burst to the head that's all I need. Get fucked Tigrex.
Tigrex and Diablos were always the most fun to fight with CB.
>>
>>336974897
Okay, so, Bushido (localized as "Adept") Charge Blade has two unique properties:

1) Guarding just before the attack in sword mode will perform a "perfect guard" with no stamina loss and basically inbuilt Guard+2, dunno about Guard Boost. From here, you can go directly into a shield charge and jump straight to red boost, or you can perform an instant charged sword attack, or a shield thrust. You cannot transform from a perfect guard.

2) Dodging just before the attack in axe mode to perform a perfect dodge. You'll jump quite a distance away, then start running with your weapon out (so moving the stick in the direction of the monster to run towards it is a good idea), which you can follow into an overhead chop or a Burst 2 attack (the two hit roundswing).

Adept CB is pretty much the only weapon that has both Perfect Dodge and Perfect Guard depending on your mode, although it is not the only weapon with two separate ways to perform the action, as the Sword and Shield can perform Perfect Backhops as well as Perfect Dodges.
>>
>>336974897
The AED punish is gone, as is the quick dial AED

GPs now follow through with their animation, and the AED has to be used for sniping hits, like so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZakfYOZ6bg
>>
>>336975415
Wait, did he transform after a perfect guard into an overhead chop, or was that just a regular guard point?
>>
>>336975617
>>336975415
Ah, this isn't even Adept is it?
>>
>>336975617
That video is striker style, not adept, so that was a regular guard point

Striker gets an additional GP during the sword dash, while adept gets one while charging the charge slash

There's also a visual flash whenever a move has a guard point now so it's not a hidden thing
>>
>>336976007
Yeah, watching further I started to figure it was probably Striker given its use of the dodge arts although I'm surprised at the lack of weapon arts.
>>
>>336975897
That video is bushido style, you can tell from the rolls although the animation on perfect guard is not as obvious.
>>
They're similar in that they both have shitty collision detection. Newer MH have better collision detection, but you still get crazy results sometimes.
>>
>>336976089
Pretty much all speedruns use the dodge arts since they're useful in a large number of situations and charge way faster than most arts

There's also a minor change in how load up works for CB, instead of giving you a sixth phial it now fills more phials when reloading
>>
>>336976124
It's not. The rolls are actually hunter arts. The lack of follow ups to the perfect dodges is a clear indicator that they're not actually perfect dodging, but rather using the perfect dodge arts. There's two of them, one which leaves your weapon out and sharpens it a little as if you were using Seregios weapons, and one that puts it away as you dodge.

>>336976410
Even so, I'm surprised at the lack of the extra phials art. Maybe they're actually using Guild? Or is there a specific point that suggests it may be Striker, aside from never entering Yellow?
>>
>>336967872
>3ds
>no go
if its brand loyalty shit, you're literally tetarded
>>
>>336977751
He's just not interested in the full library and can't justify it for a game or two.

Only flaw in that is that these games are good enough to be literal system sellers, and their play times can match several games' worth.
>>
>>336977282
He uses both dodge arts and the energy blade around 5:20, you can also just see he has three arts equipped when he shows his stats at the end

The majority of hunter arts never get used in these videos, for either being not worth the time and effort of successfully landing, or just not worth it compared to the dodge arts, especially when adept only gives you one slot to work with

The most common strikers tend to be SA, SnS, CB, and LS for having weapon arts that are actually pretty worthwhile or for simply not losing as much as other weapons for those extra slots
>>
>>336969106
>CB, GS, LBG
>Cham, rape ape
>>
>>336977282
The extra phials art isn't really worth it when you'll still have to reload about as often, and you'll never have an opening where you can use them unless you have energy blade, but then that means you're skipping out on one of the super evasion arts and those are basically the best by a landslide due to being used for any kind of burst movement you could possibly want.
>>
>>336968918
MH is easy early on, but by G rank it is definitely harder. before G rank, MH doesn't punish you as much as DaS for fucking up, but it does require more skill to not fuck up.
>>
>yfw BLADE OILS
Fucking hell, 4U and Gen have been goddamn fantastic for the SnS. It's really, really come into its own now instead of just being the babby starter weapon.
>>
>>336963419
You approach new threats the same way in both, but gameplay is slightly different but you can see similarities.
>>336964516
Monster hunter is a grind game.
>>
>>336969115
So edgy!
>>
>>336982108
Not the guy, but if you even played MH before souls game, you're gonna have an easier time. I too found most souls games easy/easier than most said it was because I had played monster hunter before.
>>
>>336980967
>Play 4U as first MH
>Try a bit of FU

Goddamn, the differences in weapon movesets between two generations are fucking huge. SnS especially.

>MHX SnS is a better KO weapon than Hunting Horn
>>
>>336983254
Isn't HH better for exhaust than KO regardless?
>>
I am so glad Blangonga is in MHX instead of a fucking Kongalala.
>>
>>336984410
I would rather have neither
>>
>>336983473
Exhaust is a bit more useful in MHX because it overrides the enraged state in that game, so yes HH and Hammer got something at least but that probably also decreases the value of Challenger +2. It won't really make Exhaust Phial Swaxe that much more useful either.
>>
>>336984613
Looking forward to seeing how that affects the meta in Gen.
>>
>its another Souls is like MonHun
Who the fuck cares, where the 4U rooms at?
>>
File: are you a pepsi.gif (689 KB, 350x272) Image search: [Google]
are you a pepsi.gif
689 KB, 350x272
>>336986368
I'd love to make a room, but I'm doing some shit over the next few hours. If this thread isn't alive by then, I'll make another Monster Hunter thread. What bait should I use?

>>336986121
Won't effect elder dragons for shit since they can't get exhausted. Otherwise I can imagine it'll be useful on prolonged hunts or against something like Tigrex who already gets exhausted quite quickly.
>>
File: lvwzik25pJ1r0tym2o1_500.png (389 KB, 500x475) Image search: [Google]
lvwzik25pJ1r0tym2o1_500.png
389 KB, 500x475
>>336963419
I think Dark Souls ruined my ability to play Monster Hunter properly, which is a shame because I played it first. The retarded hitboxes, awkward animations and homing attacks, coupled with simplistic hurtboxes and lock-on, have forced me to play like a retard to adjust, abusing invincibility frames and spamming autoaimed attacks instead of focusing on proper positioning and aim. The only transferrable skills are timing and stamina management, but the precision aspect is completely absent.

I hope I haven't fucked myself out of playing MH for good.
>>
>>336986121
From what I've seen, the average X speedrunner will kill most monsters either before they're exhausted at all, or not long after
>>
File: osty stuff.jpg (357 KB, 1038x841) Image search: [Google]
osty stuff.jpg
357 KB, 1038x841
What will Ostgaloa's localized name be?
>>
>>336986920
dankest bait of all
>>
File: 1427303864879.jpg (164 KB, 1050x1400) Image search: [Google]
1427303864879.jpg
164 KB, 1050x1400
>>336969106
HH cause battle bard is fun
herma/cenatuar cause crabs are cute, but if we're talking fighting them then I really like fighting brachy

also lao shan lung, cause I'll never forget my first fight with him
>>
>>336986920
Elder dragons do exhaust in MH4U, did they change that in Generations?
>>
>>336988569
I have the R7 LS and DB. They look real pretty.
>>
>>336968918
Souls becomes easy as pissballs when you realize how strong the iframes on your roll are.
>>
I get that people would prefer MonHun on console but nothing can beat hunting some G rank thing bro-oping with friends.
Whenever a new MonHun comes out you can guarantee that I'll be bro-oping with my younger brother and sister.
>>
>>336994323
I would prefer it on a more comfortable handheld ei. not the 3DS
>>
>>336994323
>Siblings prefer LoL
>>
>>336994479
Personally I would be fine if MonHun remained on 3DS if Vita got more Freedom Wars.
Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.