[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rogue-like games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 13
File: header.jpg (68 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
68 KB, 460x215
Hey /v I normally float around /b, a little too much probably.

Was wondering what /v thinks about the procedurally generated rogue like genre, what your favorites are, and why.

I'm fairly new to the genre, was gifted risk of rain a couple years ago and didn't play it much but have now dabbled a bit after playing vanilla Binding of Isaac.

I was just gifted Enter the Gungeon from a friend on steam as an early wedding gift. (It's someone who is friends with other friends so it was a really unexpected gesture from him). So far Gungeon has me almost raging with its difficulty, which is fine cause I'm a pretty try hard gamer but damn I've played 6 hours and keep dying on 2nd floor boss lol.

As of now the one I am most interested in is Binding of Isaac Rebirth and Afterbirth. I was pretty tempted to get it this week with it on sale but as I mentioned before, I'm getting married next month so my finances are pretty spoken for (unless I want to spend the next month on the couch lol).
>>
Indie pixelshit genre. Literal meme shit.
>>
>>336948169
Sorry for not making the 10th Overwatch BF or COD thread
>>
>>336948486

i'm more bothered by the fact you can't spell /v/ right
>>
is this thread a subtle shitpost?
>>
File: 1461175358101.gif (1 MB, 406x449) Image search: [Google]
1461175358101.gif
1 MB, 406x449
1) It's roguelike-like, or roguelite. You don't want to awake the ancient neck beard Lords

2). I like the genre, it gives nice replay value.

Try:
Faster Than Light
Spelunky
Vagante
Crypt of the Necrodancer
>>
>>336948737
I forgot to mention I've spent a lot of time on spelunky.

I've spent majority of my time playing multiplayer games, mostly rts, because I found single player games to get stale really fast until I found this genre. The replay value is really what drew me in.
>>
>>336948952
Not sure how this post is any more shit tier than the 20 what does /v/ think about Overwatch posts.
OP atleast put something different up.

Risk of Rain is my favorite op, I still play that on a weekly basis at least.
>>
>>336948995
Also maybe try

Convoy
Metrocide
>>
>>336950534
Thanks for the suggestions
>>
>>336947920
Wait until Afterbirth+ comes out before trying Isaac. It'll have good mod support complete with an API, so it may have infinite replay potential as long as the modding community isn't trash.

Are there any other roguelites with good modding? I already know Nuclear Throne has an unfortunately small modding community.
>>
>>336947920
Play FTL is fantastic
>>
File: 1433571155718.jpg (49 KB, 880x496) Image search: [Google]
1433571155718.jpg
49 KB, 880x496
>>336947920

>rogue-like

wEW lads
>>
>>336950950
How is nuclear throne as is? My friend who gifted me gungeon said he thought gungeon was a mix of isaac and nuclear.

At first glance I think it looks kind of fun but what are your thoughts?
>>
>>336951061
I heard Captain Edition mod is a great overhaul to the game. I should play it first or I should play some normal games?

Also, as a noob, if I pick playing without modes, should I pick Normal mode or the Advanced Edition mode?
>>
>>336951061
I just watched a video of it on steam and idk what I think of it. I'll have to check out a few other videos to know if it's something I'd like, the reviews of it are solid though, and a couple of you have already recommended.
>>
>>336947920

Spelunky is my favorite game of all time, and I've logged countless hours just playing and listening to music or podcasts.
>>
>>336951285
I really enjoy the music too
>>
File: tips_fedora_1429634436157.jpg (89 KB, 651x720) Image search: [Google]
tips_fedora_1429634436157.jpg
89 KB, 651x720
>>336947920
It's trendy and therefore demonic. I only play obscure games for highly intellectual individuals such as myself.
>>
File: header.jpg (42 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
42 KB, 460x215
>>336951285
Have you tried Vagante. It's pretty much Spelunky + RPG elements. Very solid game and a great challenge.
>>
>>336947920

Fuck off, not roguelikes. Roguelite is a shit term too. They're just fucking games with randomization, and are typically pixelshit.
>>
>>336948995
>It's roguelike-like, or roguelite. You don't want to awake the ancient neck beard Lords

Too late.
YOUR SHITTY PLATFORMER IS NOT A FUCKING ROGUELIKE JUST BECAUSE IT HAS PROCEDURAL GEN AND PERMADEATH AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>336951592
And out come the savage neckbeard overlords of vidya games
>>
>>336951415
This looks decent. I need a break from DCSS anyway.
>>
Rogue legacy
>>
>>336951805
Why not enlighten us of the difference since you clearly have enough time to waste talking shit.
>>
Are there any good rogue-likes with co-op?
>>
>>336951116
NT is much faster-paced than Isaac or Gungeon. It's also quite a bit harder, especially if you start looping.

Though if you're playing Gungeon, you'll get used to NT's combat in no time.
>>
>/v
>/b
Newfag.
>>
>>336952139
Why, it's very simple. A roguelike is a game that, guess what, tries to imitate Rogue. Which was not a fucking platformer at all.
>>
>>336952458
are you autistic or just retarded?
>>
>>336952458
why do you keep repeating platformer
>>
>>336952139
Turn based. On a grid. Permanent death.
>>
>>336952881
Is Necrodancer a Roguelike, then?
>>
>>336952881
Don't forget RPG elements.
>>
>>336952723
Only using the term properly. It's right there in the name. It's not hard to understand, trust me.
>>336952763
Since Rogue Legacy and Spelunky were mentioned in this thread as examples. It applies to other action games as well.
>>
>>336952927
Some people would say not since there's a unlock style system were you can make the game easier the more you unlock crap. Personally I would say it is, its a lot closer then BoI, NT, and Spelunky.
>>
>>336947920
Cataclysm DDA, IVAN, and DCSS are all fun.
>>
File: EEEDMUND.jpg (719 KB, 1913x1078) Image search: [Google]
EEEDMUND.jpg
719 KB, 1913x1078
>>336950950
yea i cant wait to pay for another expansion that has even less content than afterbirth just so i can get mod support just to fix that shit. they know how to squeeze every last drop out of that mediocre game.
>>
Gungeon is prett bad. like, really, really bad.
It's like they made Nuclear throne even more of a chore and even more unfun to play than it already is.
That's Gungeon for ya.
>>
>>336947920
im making a pixelshit fps roguelite game

how do i make it good?

its coming to steam
>>
>>336953459
make it a proper roguelike with an interesting combat system instead
>>
>>336953340
To be fair, even though I'm an Isaacdrone, paid mod support isn't a good move.

It should stay separate from the expansion.
>>
Last time I checked, /vg/ had a roguelite general. Pop into that and check it out.

I really liked Delver. It's first person and pixel shit but overall, pretty solid.
>>
>>336953459
Tell me more. Also make sure to have at least one flamethrower weapon.
>>
>>336951116
Nuclear throne is really fun but just feels unpolished. Although it's still worth playing.

I myself am having ablast with Gungeon right now. Really fun game
>>
>>336953459
Does it have a plot or setting yet?

What is it called?
>>
>>336953252
The OP doesn't enjoy actual roguelikes, the OP enjoys dead babies farting out poop while shooting tears that have this really awful 'height' mechanic and also ape bullet hell games for all of their most "difficult" bosses while not actually being bullet hells at all considering you can very trivially most games acquire the means to negate almost all projectile damage

yes i have autism
>>
>>336953459
You make it not boring by putting in a lot of crazy shit. Hell, proc gen the weapons themselves.
Also don't even think about putting in any hitscan enemies.
>>
Risk of Rain
Nuclear Throne
>>
>>336953772
Any tips for gungeon other than git gud?
Specific bosses you'll save blanks for?
>>
>>336953410
Not sure what you're playing but I'm having a lot of fun with gungeon. I've had fun with Isaac, NT and gungeon
>>
Is stone soup dungeon crawl a rogue like?
>>
>>336953558
nope. its a retro fps
>>336953737
has flamethrower, molotov, and dynamic fire system
>>336953798
wont reveal on /v/. has no plot cause idgaf, setting is like doom + zombies
>>
>>336953843
>yes i have autism

I think you need to retool your outlook to "I'm a moron" instead of "I have autism". It'd fit a lot more.
>>
>>336953937
yes
>>
>>336953993

I'm actually objectively right.
>>
dungeon of the endless is pretty fun.
I've always wanted to try ADOM. Would anyone recommend it for the 10dolla price?
>>
>>336953410
Why isn't it fun though? Is it the aiming system? Or the high chance of getting screwed over with no good guns?
>>
>>336953920
Why save blanks you get a refresh each floor.
Just save 1 blank for secret room , and use blanks aggresively
>>
>>336953969
Sounds fun.

>not giving a name
When's it out so I can try to play it, you fucking absolute moron
You do want people to play your game right
>>
>>336953920
Only dodge roll if you need to. Sometimes it's better to just dodge.

Also don't dodge roll into a shit situations. Avoid that.

If you see no way in not getting hit use a blank. If you don't have one you're most likely fucked
>>
>>336954107

I think the ammo system is the biggest reason it isn't fun. Essentially, there are a lot of guns with really interesting effects, and you are punished for using them. It's too good to use syndrome in its most raw form, and it really sucks. I could've really done without it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (451 KB, 1836x1014) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
451 KB, 1836x1014
>>336953937
Yes. Don't play mummy. These aptitudes are SUFFERING
>>
>>336954172
I bet he's the asshole making Strafe
>>
>>336954107
Not him but the bosses really overstay their welcome. They all have tremendous HP that can't be easily depleted like in Isaac.

Also I hate how clearing a room spawns even more enemies for you to deal with. What you see is what you should get.
>>
>>336954172
dont worry when its out i'll spam it on /v/ and you faggot better buy it
>>
>>336954079
You're actually objectively an idiot. Read how infantile your post was. OP didn't know any better than to distinguish roguelike from roguelite and honestly who gives a shit, and I don't see you making any real criticisms of BoI aside from "you can very trivially most games acquire the means to negate almost all projectile damage" which is vaguely understandable but ultimately gibberish.
>>
>>336954343
nah my games way shittier than that
>>
>>336947920
>/v
>/b
>>
>>336954224
So you want a game where you can just use your strongest gun whenever you want? It forces you to save up, which actually brings some thought into the game

Only problem I have with the game is the fucking rat, otherwise great game.
>>
File: 1427564232045.gif (1 MB, 451x274) Image search: [Google]
1427564232045.gif
1 MB, 451x274
>>336947920
Lurk moar.

Spelunky and Risk of Rain are the tightest shit.
>>
>>336953920
Don't open brown chests with keys, but destroy them instead. They are the lowest tier chests.

Only play Hunter.

If an enemy hits you, he is less likely to drop money. So don't get hit. Try to kill bosses without getting hit too, since they give you extra rewards.

Open the secret area on the first level by using the water barrel on the big fire. After you finished that, you go back to Level 2. So it's like an extra level of money and items.

Have fun making no real progress other than unlocking items for 40hours.
>>
>>336954247
i love playing that game, but i suck giant dongs at it.
>>
>>336954740
>Only play Hunter
Implying everyone except for hunter is terrible. Marine and Pilot are pretty good imo
>>
>>336953459
Learn for doom. Learn what a monster closet is and do that. Have destructible enemy spawners like gauntlet.

Put plenty of secrets in.

Also, couch co-op.
>>
File: [AGITATION MAXIMIZED].gif (2 MB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
[AGITATION MAXIMIZED].gif
2 MB, 512x512
>Finally make it to chamber 5 with a decent amount of health.
>Get completely assraped by some skeleton that circles his arms around me.
>>
>>336954740
>>336954887
I feel like the marine has the best pistol.
But the pilot starts with the lockpick which is great for trying to open shit you dont care about.
>>
>>336954740
>Don't open brown chests with keys, but destroy them instead.
brown chests give out double vision and the sling, two great items, probably more. Either the game isn't properly valuing its items or it is not strictly "brown=shit"
>>
>>336947920
congrats on your engagement OP
>>
>>336954887
I only play Marine.

I can't help but think he's objectively the best character in the game (besides Bullet, but I'm far from unlocking him) with his faster reload, better accuracy and better starting pistol.
>>
>>336955143
Me too, beat dragun the first time with him (with help of a glitch chest and space turtle)
>>
>>336954740
This is pretty decent advice but to add to it:
If you play hunter (my main) you can fast reload her crossbow, and most other single shot single clip weapons by clicking fire again quickly. VERY handy and you should always use it.

2: You might already know this, but if you switch from any gun for about 3-4 seconds it reloads all the other guns you have, this can be essential in boss fights (Especially that fucking wall literal DPS check boss)

3!!: If you start a floor with 0 keys beyond the first the shop will ALWAYS have at least one key for sale, and on the first floor if you get no key drops before you reach the shop it will have atleast a key too - so try to rush shops or leave key drops on the ground (rat will not steal) then go to the shop, then pick up. (Spawning does not count as picked up)

4: If you do 3 properly you should be opening ALL the chests mofos.

5: if you wanna cheese the game abuse the 'weapon reload wheel' button slow time to work out how do evade the bullet hell aspects of later bosses.
>>
Binding of Isaac and Gungeon are both really bad, but Spelunky is really good.
>>
>>336955569
No they aren't, just because you're bad at games.
>>
>>336954446
It's not gibberish at all, do you not know what orbitals are? Is it not blatantly apparent how they have aped bullet hell mechanics in a really awful and half-assed way? Is complaining about the game's atrocious artstyle bad? These are all completely valid as criticism and about as real as it gets.
>>
>>336955569
I really like isaac and gungeon but dont like spelunky at all.
>>
>>336954740
Great advice thank you
>>
Any advice for beating Blockner?

He should be piss easy but I'm a retard who can't figure out if I should shoot him first or the knights first. I do know that his knights only attack if you hit them.
>>
>>336954887
Op here, I've tried hunter once and seemed fun but I find myself mostly playing marine right now. Since I'm new to the game I valued the increased accuracy and reload time.
>>
>>336956239
I think I just did when fighting blockner. There isn't like a strategy because he's gone after beating him
>>
Can someone gift me it on ps4 pls. Please please
>>
>>336955135
Thank you, we've been engaged for almost 3 years now, wedding was meant to be last June but fiancé got pregnant so we decided to push it back since she already had her dress and was pretty set on wearing it without looking like a whale.
>>
>>336955494
>3!!: If you start a floor with 0 keys beyond the first the shop will ALWAYS have at least one key for sale, and on the first floor if you get no key drops before you reach the shop it will have atleast a key too - so try to rush shops or leave key drops on the ground (rat will not steal) then go to the shop, then pick up. (Spawning does not count as picked up)
>4: If you do 3 properly you should be opening ALL the chests mofos.

So let me get this straight, I need to run into a shop, THEN pick up any keys that dropped on my way there?

Not sure how that affects key drops, but I will try it out.
>>
>>336954095
>paying 15 bucks so you can disable roguelike features like permadeath
Just get the free version. And do yourself a favor and get the ASCII one, the graphics are butt ugly.
>>
>>336955494
Tip 2 holy shit I had no idea. That helps a lot
>>
>>336957995
Yeah on floor one you always start with one key, if you enter a shop before you 'pick up' another key there is 100% at least one key for sale. HOWEVER after floor 1 if you start with ANY keys at all, it's all RNG for the shop keys. So it's actually better to open ALL chests and start with 0 keys next floor (And some money saved)!

You also probably know buy blanks are refreshed to at least 2 on a new floor so if you have some left after I boss I blank suspect rooms for secret rooms before going lower.
>>
>>336958792
What things make a room suspect to you?
>>
>>336947920

tfw getting to bullet hell for the first time

protip: save your fucking ammo for bullet hell
>>
>>336958901

Being in a corner of the map with too much dark space around it on the map is usually a solid given. Chest rooms seem unusually prone to having secret exits

You can check for cracks on the walls with weapons, and then reveal them with a blank. Starter weapons won't reveal cracks
>>
>>336959529
So any weapon other than your starter can reveal? Or basically any weapon that doesn't say in the description?
>>
>>336959621
Any weapon which doesn't have infinite ammo (ie the starters and Gunther) is capable of revealing cracks.

Also, sometimes there's a tiny NPC located right in front of the secret entrance. Use a blank if you see him.
>>
>>336959621

Any weapon other than a class' starting pistol. The Convict's sawn-off shotgun and the Hunter's crossbow will reveal cracks, for example
>>
>>336958901
As >>336959529 said and:

Secret room generation was changed a bit recently IIRC and you can no longer use the starter gun to see 'tells' on the wall. Shops can often have linking secret rooms if they a: seem to have few too exits (Like a one way entry shop) b: The shop will actually be a little larger along one wall if there is a secret room.

Other than that, unlike Binding of Isaac where I could write you an expansive/comprehensive essay on secret/super secret room gen, look for cracks after fights, and some room layouts ALWAYS like to X number of rooms - and if they don't? Generally one exit is a secret room.

>>336958747
NP some more random tips, not as good since most of the prime ones I have said.

1: Most guns, especially pistols (Starters too!) can be fired MUCH faster by spamclicking instead of holding down fire, It's rather taxing for obvious reasons and I only really use it on (Oh shit!) situations.

2: As you might know, killing any boss with no damage taken gives you and extra max HP container. I've beaten the game about ~7 times now and I always reset if I don;t kill the first boss no damage. Scrubby? Yes, but 4 HP containers minimum helps A LOT on the later floors, trust me.

3: While it can be tempting to but lots of cursed items/steal a lot in one run, I have lost very good runs to cursed enemies that have no right becoming cursed (And have fucked up my whole run) Keep that curse lowish.
>>
>>336959765
Oh shit I just forgot.

Never mind about that NPC, he only shows up if you're carrying a certain item (Brick of Cash).
>>
File: 1461378399061.jpg (59 KB, 655x527) Image search: [Google]
1461378399061.jpg
59 KB, 655x527
Nuclear Throne is 10/10
>>
File: 1462453771576.png (404 KB, 588x598) Image search: [Google]
1462453771576.png
404 KB, 588x598
You can just feel the shill in this thread. It's all over the place.
>>
>>336959824
Do you ever opt into not clearing a floor if you find the boss rook early or do you always clear every floor? I've been clearing since I rarely take dmg but with these tips I'm now on 4th floor with 4 hearts and armor since I'm marine. Just wondering if I'm going to be risking to much to clear harder enemies.
>>
>>336960350
I'd also like to add that I found knife shield on first floor which has definitely saved my ass but I'm assuming it's cursing me. Are cursed enemies the ones w the green icons above them?
>>
>>336960350
Early on, I clear all the rooms. It's worth it for the extra cash and potential drops. Also killing bosses gives you HP drops generally so no brainer. For the last floor (Or two) I just get the shop, Boss and two chests and get the fuck out of there. Healing becomes REALLY EXPENSIVE or RNG dependent. You don't need money that much later on, and all you risk is getting a bad room layout and screwing your run. Marine is also a very good char, Him and Hunter are great the other two starters? ehh.

>>336960432
Knife shield isn't too bad for curse and is a great active item, you can keep that but don't go stealing stuff or buying from Cursala (Witch NPC) Cursed (Jammed) enemies are generally black variants that do 1 heart, faster, SUPER bullet sponges. http://enterthegungeon.gamepedia.com/Curse#Effects_of_Curse
>>
>>336960941
Well was fun while it lasted
Died to the wall lol
Got him to 1/4 hp, maybe next time
>>
File: 1462536182453.jpg (81 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1462536182453.jpg
81 KB, 800x600
>People like Spelunky
Why? How?
The music is grating, art looks like a mobile game and the rest of the game is just a boring mess.
>>
>>336960941
Thanks again for the hella tips, def made my run a lot further than ever before
>>
>>336961125
Very nice effort, the wall is the only real DPS check boss in ETD, if you get crap DPS weapons you have to abuse the hell out of the 'no reload 3/4 sec switch' and 'spam the fuck out of fire on pistols' to stand a chance of not getting fucked.

When you start getting to the forge frequently you should start collecting the bullet that kills the past parts (4) Once you give all 4 with one character over various runs to the forge NPC you can get an extra char exclusive final boss and unlocks.

>>336961352
NP, all the best with it and the wedding man! You should get Nuclear Throne when it's cheap or pirate it when you get sick of ETG. You'll love it I assure you, and whoever before said it's unpolished I very *very* strongly disagree.
>>
Is Elona actually a roguelike or is it a roguelikelike?

I've never decided
>>
Gungeon is boring, the beginning is a slog plus shit gets bullet spongy
>>
>>336961748
Latter.
>>
>>336961128
>shit is tense as fuck having to watch for traps
>items make a major change to how you play the game and ability to survive, such as the jetpack
>the amount of resources you have and the different ways you can spend them feels balanced

I don't think the music is that bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M1Bh4aRn_w&list=PLuQj3usCmdXhXtBjdPW_NY8RGWTuFL5eA&index=7

But I do dislike the shitty tumblr nose, shit stands out as a sore thumb with the character design
>>
videogames
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.