[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This game needs poise, I say, poise! Discuss. Pic mostly kind
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 222
Thread images: 19
File: OwTcE7i.webm (777 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
OwTcE7i.webm
777 KB, 720x404
This game needs poise, I say, poise!

Discuss.

Pic mostly kind of unrelated.

>inb4 'op stop clamourin 2 walk thru every atack 4eva'
>>
>>336647136
>MUH TANKY WEIGHTY BUILD

fuck off, this game is not for you
reminder that str is literally easy mode, i am tired of all these scrubby shitters complaining they cant wear a full set of heavy armor and steamroll through the game

literally get good, faggots
>>
>>336647613
What's hard mode? Because STR, DEX, Quality, Pyromancy and magic are all easy mode. Only hard mode is purposefully gimping yourself where you don't level or use fists.
>>
>>336647613
sigh

That's not what I'm saying at all man.

I see no problem with being able to stack enough poise to tank at least one hit. On top of that I continue to fail to see how you fags who complain that "dark souls is meant to be a dex only game with rolling and that's it faggot" can still complain when that's literally all it's become. And that's boring.

Why can't you see that it'd be better to have poise than to not have it? I'm not even a user of heavy armor myself, I just want to see people using it and poise so that we have more variety in builds.

What's the point of doing PvP if everyone is doing the same build?

Reminder that this is not Bloodborne, this is Dark Souls 3.
>>
>>336647613
Shut up faggot
>>
>>336647973
God I can't imagine how easy the game would be if I gave in and stunlocked everything to death with straight swords or the estoc.

Personally, poise not being enabled doesn't change much for me because I generally resort to a build that use a huge weapon but not enough carry weight to lug armor with a lot of poise. Having to play tag while fighting with ultra greats is fairly normal for me.

I actually carry around an upgraded dank sword too for emergencies. Cause haha pvp meta is not kind. I refuse to use an estoc, though.
>>
>>336648403
They're too stupid to realize that working poise actually created build variety. It was one of the biggest issues of DeS in that no matter what you played if you didn't fast roll you were 100% gimping yourself. Oddly since DeS build variety has been steadily decreasing to favour faggot pvpers and their precious 'balance'. Fuckers ruin every game they latch on to.
>>
File: image.png (234 KB, 800x764) Image search: [Google]
image.png
234 KB, 800x764
>tfw it's literally turned off and they can turn it back on at any time
>tfw they still haven't done so

What the fuck
>>
>try to do a miracle build
>get lightning stake from the Alaskan Bull Worm
>try to test it out on the rats in the demon ruins
>get hit out of the cast animation after a rat slightly nudges against me
What is the point?
>>
>>336648403
>sigh
>>
the whole idea of poise is simply that if you are a big armor guy, you should be able to tank hits and trade attacks. you'd be slower as a result, and in das1 this was a problem because you could have flipping havels and greatdads but god damn it's a n e w game they could have tied rolling to armor types

the only fucking big heavy weapon that has hyperarmor on it is astoras greatsword and if you're foolish enough to get trapped you'll get hit twice no matter what, but it's so easily avoidable that it's balanced

now if only i could use my greataxe and not be stunned by one simple poke from a rapier
>>
>>336648403
>sigh
You've already debunked your own argument in the first word.
>>
>>336649438
I'm not even a caster and holy shit the hyper aggressive rats are fucking annoying. Certain weapons are unusable against them because of nopoise.

Worse, certain rat spawns in the game have glitched hitboxes where the damage and recoil from the attack happens before the animation, and the animation itself has no damage.
>>
>>336649704
>in das1 this was a problem because you could have flipping havels and greatdads
The tools to do that shit don't even exist anymore. I'm not sure what From is thinking.
>>
>>336647613
>str is literally easy mode

>play dex
>R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 stunlock stunlock stunlock stunlock stunlock stunlock stunlock stunlock stunlock

woah.............. such skill.......................... damn.......................
>>
>>336650081
it must be that miyazaki wanted the game to be bloodborne. maybe he thought it couldnt be balanced if poise was added. who fucking knows

all i know is that dark souls 3 makes bloodborne look like the greatest game ever made. i used every single weapon in bloodborne but i can only find 4-5 weapons i actually enjoy using in dark souls 3. weapon arts are a fucking joke.
>>
>>336650246
my biggest problem with bloodborne is that it simply doesn't fucking work

risk+reward is the main focus of the game, it doesn't work, you could literally just back away and heal in the half a second it takes to vial, instead of risking it for some hp which you could recover by using that goddamn vial, one of your twenty vials

bloodborne had a thing where there were like, 5 weapons total, but they were all completely unique, this is why it's easier to look at them all and go, hey, these are all pretty awesome, whereas in dark souls 3...

well, let's just say I am holding out for the DLC to save DS3 from becoming outright boring
>>
>>336650527
>whereas in dark souls 3...
The game mechanics make most of them unusable even in PVE.
>>
>>336649848
Seriously?

FUCKING SERIOUSLY?

THIS IS YOUR ARGUMENT FOR POISE?

Have you not fucking SEEN the weapon art of most of the talismans? It literally gives you poise during animations. And its strong.

Fuck off people that literally don't play the game.
>>
>>336649438
marrycalls are very bad (especially the close ranged ones), they need both hyper armor and increased speed if they will ever be used outside of fucking around. I though the spears were okay at 60 faith, until I tried great chaos FB, no reason to ever use lightning spears over GCFB.
>>
I wouldn't mind if From buffed magic. However I detest poise because of backstab cheese. It's one of the things that made DaS PvP so intolerable. If they some how implemented poise for PvE I wouldn't mind. However that's why heavy weapons have hyper armor. So you can tank through hits. This system is better in my opinion because it prevents poise friends from circling enemys or players, tank hits, and back stab them. They face them head on with heavy armor and a heavy weapon.
P.S. Poise is technically in the game only in rolls, and hyper armor.
>>
Its in a good place in DS3.

Poise shouldn't allow you to absorb a hit at any point with no consequences. They wanted to avoid that for obvious reasons.

Right now, if you can raise it enough you will not flinch if your attack animation has come out, but you will still flinch if you are just starting your attack animation. This is the way it should be.
>>
>>336650527
i get that perspective that the vial system in bloodborne is broken in certain regards. i don't really put any value into complaints about "boohoo i died a lot and have to farm for it now", but yes, having twenty vials makes it a lot easier to play, but it also is the only souls game that has bosses i CANNOT beat on my own. a lot of bosses were also designed with the mind to attack you exactly when you think you are safe to use a blood vial. i really liked the take back health mechanic and i think that the gameplay worked very well overall.

bloodbornes TOH added a lot to the core of the game, so hopefully darksouls 3's dlc will do the same.
>>
>>336650246
Yeah except Mornes greathammer, the twinblades, the twin katanas, the edged greatswords weapon art.

The talisman WA/the CHIMES RECOVERY IS GOOD FOR INVADING WITH BLESSED WEAPONS AND GREATBOWS

Let me just sit here and tell you why the only possibly needing buffed WA is shield shatter, and thats because greatshields are fairly strong.

You suck at this game dawg
>>
File: 1408471688206.jpg (33 KB, 300x286) Image search: [Google]
1408471688206.jpg
33 KB, 300x286
>>336650760
Calm the fuck down, Captain Capslock. You'll hurt yourself.

I'm not the OP, and it's not an argument for poise. I'm just responding to another post commenting on the asshole rats being annoying.
>>
>>336650760
we don't wanna use sunlight tailsman it sucks, we wanna use yorksha.
>>
>>336650958
Not to mention the wolf swords got a pretty aesthetically cool WA. Not to mention that you can simple infuse a shield in your left hand, or even a bandit dagger/sunsword/mornes sword for extra damage with red tearstone/mornes greathammer's WA.

NOT TO FUCKING MENTION YOU CAN FUCKING USE ANY WA AT 1 FP. THIS ALLOWS YOU TO USE SIMPLE INFUSIONS THEN HAVE GUARANTEED CASTS EVERY CERTAIN TIME FRAME LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

GET GUD FAGGOTS
>>
>>336650246
Your opinions are awful and you should feel awful
>>
>>336650898
poise doesn't exist right now

I have no idea where this myth came from

armor =/= poise
>>
>>336650898
Nah, it's shit and you're shit for thinking it isn't shit. Eat shit.
>>
The problem with not having poise is that there's literally no reason to use heavier armors or to ever, ever, ever go above 70% equip burden. Literally no incentive at all. There' no trade-offs, no potentially positive gains, no fun builds to center around it, it's 100% a bad idea. And I think that's messy design.
>>
>>336650997
But it doesn't do much more damage till 49 faith lul

Shouldn't matter especially against small, multiple hitting enemies especially with a fucking lightning clutch ring.

Poise with the poise currently in the game would let you take 2 hits from the rats, period. if turned on. I've turned it on and tried it, its literally pointless lol, it won't save you full havels/wolf from 1 swing from a ugs. YOu're shit
>>
If they weren't going to make armor functional at all, they should've just provided us with only light armor sets, since there is literally no reason AT ALL to use heavier armor other than for fashion.

Meaning they should have done what they did for Bloodborne. Except that in BB, the Hunters are all cloth-wearing fast dudes, so it makes sense they can get stunned easily by anything. They trade poise or super armor for quick dashes and even quicker attacks.

In Souls games, you're supposed to be a slower knight dude/whatever class. Worse, the poise system IS there, it's just literally switched off at the moment. You're supposed to trade equip load for poise, and they even DRASTICALLY reduced the poise values for armor for DaS3, meaning that they DID intent for there to be poise, but you couldn't stack loads of it quite as easily like in DaS1. Then they just turned it off because fuck you.

The game right now is sort of okay without it, save for the few fucked up stunlock combos in PvP, but poise would allow you to trade with shitters trying to use said combos in the first place, potentially preventing you from taking 1K+ damage from some spinny hammer combo because you get stunned for ten years after the first hit.

FromSoft has had quite the hard on for stunlocks ever since Dark Souls 2, so turning off the poise may have actually been intentional.
>>
>>336650898
Poise actually doesn't exist for the player character. Heavy armor is worthless now. What's the point of it existing?
>>
Poise would be fine if they kept the backstab mechanic from BB where you had to land a fully charged strong attack on someone's back in order to initiate it. Only reason I disliked DaS' PvP was because of those instant backstabs, which were lame as fuck.
>>
All of you need to play the game more friends. There is hyper armor on almost every great weapon. You just need to swing at the right time. Poise exists only in rolls. Which makes it to where you don't get hit stun if you get hit in mid roll.
>>
>>336650162
Chuckled sensibly
>>
>>336650527
>these are all pretty awesome, whereas in dark souls 3...

I was really hoping a lot more from weapon arts, especially since they traded them for DaS2's powerstance and BB's transformations.
Way WAY too many repeats on the weapon arts, heck not enough move set variety among the same weapon types.
>>
>>336651582
I think the backstab generally works pretty well in DaS3. It's not perfect, I've been lagstabbed a couple of times, but at least it's still usable in PvP unlike in Bloodborne where backstabs were basically never used.
>>
>>336651483
No matter what you do if you try to use wrath of the gods against a gank squad they will interrupt you (or kill you) before it goes off. This was the only use of WOG in DAs so it's useless if you can get it off when surrounded.

This is more a WOG complaint then a poise one. Just make it instant again.
>>
>>336649848
You mean the enemies that basically die instantly if they hit your shield?
>>
>>336651567
>>336651530
Well, the way they redid the armor system does mean armor provides an incredibly noticeable benefit from the moment you put it on. A heavier set also provides a noticable reduction over a lighter set. Getting all your protection UP FRONT rather than when you've upgraded every piece of armor to max before it's worth wearing is a massive improvement.

If you can keep your weight under 70%, having gigabig armor will provide a real benefit, and having even .01 over 30% means you might as well try to hit 70% flat. .

Still doesn't excuse disabling poise. That's stupid.
>>
>>336651663
I was looking forward to having all the benefits of power stance as well as weapon arts.

But no. No power stance. Why. This is just stupid. Irregardless of the difficulty of implementation (which would be low to begin with) I can't even imagine why they wouldn't want to implement something that already works, and that works well - I think we can all at least agree that power stance was nothing but a good thing.
>>
I watched one of the trailers back then and some 1 hour footage before the game release, the gameplay was fluid like bloodborne, my question is the following:
Does it play like bloodborne?

I legit need to know
>>
>>336650898

That's just hyper armor. It doesn't matter how much poise you have for that to work. It's tied to the weapon.

Take off all your armor and try using those weapons again. You still won't stagger if your timing is right. Poise actually doesn't do anything in the game right now.
>>
>>336651959
Depends on what weapon you're using. Without even basic amounts of poise, a slower weapon is recipe for stunlock. I tend to like spears myself, and at my max range they will lunge and chew on me mid windup.

It's incredibly annoying. When a weapon becomes blatantly unpleasant to use, I consider it unusable.
>>
>>336651974
Calling it now, in the DLC we'll get a ring or something that turns poise on, but conflicts with rings that give you better rolling or better stamina recovery.
>>
>>336652251
That's why I said shield. Enemy hits shield, enemy gets stunned for the next year so you can hit it with anything you want.

And if you are doing some slow weapons with no shield self gimp run, then you better just get good.
>>
>>336652529
I wouldn't need a shield if those faggots enabled poise.
>>
>>336652861
You wouldn't need any skill ether.
Seriously where is the challenge, or decision making in walking towards enemy and pressing R1, with no risk?
>>
>>336653074
>why aren't you gimping yourself like meeeee
>everyone has to dodge roll everything because i said so
>*sniff sniff* DO I HEAR SOMEONE USING RANGED WEAPONS TO PULL ENEMIES ONE AT A TIME TOO
Get off it, dude.
>>
>>336653074
It's not like I want to roll around in Havel's. I want enough armor to not be chain stunned by the weakest enemies in the game because there was more than one at a time. Something a nice medium weight.

I like the game when not using a shield is a viable option. It was a very good option in 1 and 2. Just light enough to roll. Just heavy enough to not be stunned out of everything by chip damage. Both flexible and demands being aware of what you can handle.

This time it's just carry around 100 block shield and hold it up to win.

Really great when the key to the game is holding L1 while circling right. Oh no wait! Sometimes you circle LEFT. Exciting.
>>
>>336652121
It plays like Bloodborne in that enemies are fast, waver back and forth occasionally, have long ass arms for good reach, and most enemies don't have poise so many mob fights are composed of "hit them first and mash R1 until they die".
It does not play like Bloodborne in that there's no sidesteps when locked on and lacks any custom comboing.
>>
File: 1462349644538.jpg (29 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
1462349644538.jpg
29 KB, 255x255
>>336653223
But anon poise is shit. If you want something like poise use a ultra weapon. Or learn to parry. Are you the kind of guy who circle strafes an enemy till you get a backstab?
>>
>>336653614
So basically they took the worst aspects of Souls and Bloodborne and put them in to one game while ignoring the redeeming features of either.
>>
>>336647136
People born after 1989 disgust me.
>>
>>336647136
Who needs poise when greatshields exist?

https://youtu.be/3olTMVJohog
>>
>>336653796
So you disgust yourself?
>>
>>336653074
>Trade faster rolling and movement for being able to tank a couple of hits in a Souls game where enemies are faster and more aggressive than ever and dodge rolls have more utility and invulnerability frames than ever
>Wow no risk no challenge get good scrub

It's just enabling alternative play styles you giant faggot.
And I say this as someone who's preferred lightrolling since DeS.
>>
Hyper armor is a much preferable system, it just needs fine-tuning. Iframes should be on startup only.
>>
>>336654081
Speaking of older souls game.

Holy shit the flip ring of DaS1 made the game trivial. You didn't even need to be a giant dad. Go naked and light roll was the easiest way to play DaS1 till you could upgrade armor to max. But by then you could have gotten the flip ring and made the game even easier.
>>
File: 1400636623279.jpg (36 KB, 434x418) Image search: [Google]
1400636623279.jpg
36 KB, 434x418
>>336648481
>invade some guy
>he has an estoc
>has two phantoms both with estocs
>spawn right next to them
>before I can do anything they gangrape me to death with R1 spams
>>
>>336653796
that's a very obtuse date
it's the year you were born wasn't it?
>>
File: help.gif (1 MB, 375x210) Image search: [Google]
help.gif
1 MB, 375x210
>>336654369
>early invasions in Undead Settlement
>Didn't know about how bullshit the estoc had become yet
>Host and three phantoms.
>Oh well time to get ganked. Maybe I'll take one down with me
>All four have estocs
>Stunlocked the instant I'm in range of the first phantom
>The others swarm like bees.
>>
>>336653223
Dude, I was advokating using shield, the ultimate easy mode, one button to block all tool in all of Dark Souls.

Not using armor tanking in DS 3 is not gimping yourself, as there is no armor tanking, thus you need to pick an alternative.
>>
>>336654330
Really the only reason not to use it was that it made you look like some retarded ninja.

Such a ridiculous item in retrospect.
>>
>>336649438
cast it with L2 instead of L1 dipshit
>>
>>336651471
This. I would happily go above 100% if I could have enough poise and a greatshield. A slow moving tank.
>>
>>336653584
>a shield is a viable option
It's still viable. There are situations in which rolling is superior and almost mandatory when compared to shield, but then there are also situations where shield shines.
>>
>>336653584
Fuck being chainstunned by more than one enemy, I want to avoid being chainstunned by one fucking hollow with a broken straight sword.
>>
>>336654881
Memories of this are why I appreciate the change to armor in DS3 (disregarding poise for a moment). Not only does it encourage you heavily to wear at least something, the base stats on everything is noticeable. No need to wait to end game to bother wearing things either.

I never bothered wearing heavy armor or upgrading armor at all in DS1 because of it. I'd put on a cloth set I could find early and wear that the whole game as is.
>>
File: warden_twinblades.png (17 KB, 189x274) Image search: [Google]
warden_twinblades.png
17 KB, 189x274
So what am I doing wrong here? I have 23 dex and 16 luck, and I'm hitting for 140 at +3. Did I fall for a meme?

Because I have to 3 hit trash mobs two handing and I can 2hit the same guys with an unupgraded uchi. When do these things start getting good??
>>
I hate being that faggot who just posts a youtube video... but here I go anyways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSCOgi5imGA

This guy explains exactly what's wrong with Poise
>>
yea pvp is degrading into just weapon types, anyone who argues armor has any effect has no idea what the hell they are talking about, the only reason i pump vit at all is for cosmetics, which is a shame, completely wasted stat as is

ive been enjoying the pvp as well, a little more diversity would really make it goat for souls pvp imo
>>
>>336655308
>using a specialised weapon before you hit optimal stats

almost as bad as using sorceries before you respec to 60 int
>>
> people defending no poise
> people think it's ok to get stunlocked by a pack of rats by trying to swing a slow weapon even if you're wearing havel's armor and the poise ring (which is literally a useless item)
>>
>>336655634

The fact this is necessary to play a fucking sorcerer is fucking stupid

I'm trying to play a sorcerer from start to finish and holy shit they need to tweak magic
>>
I don't care for pvp at all and no poise just sucks in pve for str builds. There is something wrong when rats and dogs are the most dangerous enemies by far in the game
>>
>>336651974
Gigabig armor only provides ~10% extra reduction over light armor. Most of the reduction comes from equipping your armor slots with anything at all.
>>
Anyone notice if npcs have more poise than players? Like some have little armor but seem to get a good amount of hyper armor when attacking
>>
>>336655814

Darkwraiths have poise
>>
>>336647136
no, its braindead and goes against the entire point of souls games. fair but unforgiving. you shouldn't be rewarded for tanking hits. besides, alot of the replay ability of these games comes from the online, and poise would ruin the entire online aspect >>336655338
>>
>>336655869
I know but they're more like enemies, I mean the actual npcs you find and the npc invaders as well
>>
>>336651974
Heavier armor doesn't even provide that much of a difference in damage absorption.
You get your damage reduction for armor in each slot and a few percentage more in absorption for heavy armor.

So, what the fuck is the point of heavy armor even existing?
>>
>>336655891

It wouldn't ruin anything, it would be a hard counter to r1 spam and give people a reason to wear heavy armor.
>>
>>336655308
make it hollow and pump up to 40 luck, then use bleed resin
>>
>>336655891
>getting easily stunlocked to death is fair
>>
File: 1444624114239.png (854 KB, 600x887) Image search: [Google]
1444624114239.png
854 KB, 600x887
>>336655639

All they have to do is give weapon attacks a poise multiplier which activates instantly on an attack but is weak on rapiers and swords, getting major buffs on UGSs and similar weapon classes

It'd counter any possible Estoc/Havel meta, why does From have to be so incompetent
>>
>>336655789
And enemies like the Dark Wraiths even have working poise while the player doesn't.
>>
For all you nopoise fags, how do you propose we make heavy armour viable? Because right now it's literally worse than useless.
>>
I'd understand if it's their design decision, but then why leave it in?
>>
>>336647613
Found the dexfag
>>
>>336649704
You are literally retarded. Pretty much anything bigger than a straight sword has a shit ton of hyper armor on its attacks. If you find yourself getting stunned by a rapier while using a greataxe, it's because you're playing like a dumbass and not timing your hyperarmor to trade properly.
>>
USE

IRON

FLESH
>>
File: dragon_torso_stone_2.png (31 KB, 206x233) Image search: [Google]
dragon_torso_stone_2.png
31 KB, 206x233
>>336653831
>>
Poise is a fucking buff in the game now, how hard is it for you guys to understand?

Any weapon that had the preservence skill activates poise for about 2 seconds. The fastest animation is the one on the mace but mace sucks as a weapon for the most part.

And yes it it fucking poise. Try it out on enemies and they'll actually stagger when hitting you
>>
>>336654369
Iron flesh works well against faggots like that.
>>
>>336656598
>Poise is a fucking buff in the game now, how hard is it for you guys to understand?
It's also a pointless misleading number on armor that should have just been removed entirely if they weren't going to implement it at all
>>
ou know if everyone didnt wear light armor 24/7 and expect not get stunned well it'd be fun for yo. Stinking fashion souls weebs you wanted caps and frilly shit you got it. Besides there's a video that perfectly explains why poise shouldn't be in the game.As well as the fact every second swing or hit you can parry a fucker to death
>>
>>336655338
>>336655891
"muh PvP" is the only argument against it, really? PvP. In a fucking souls game. A goddam secondary mechanic From pays absolutely no fucking mind to or else we wouldn't have broken covenants and the worst netcode in any game ever.

Why don't you go play something actually designed for competitive player versus player play like a fighting game?
>>
>>336656027
>it would be a hard counter to r1 spam

it promotes r1 spam dumb ass, they can just tanks hits and shit out massive dps without any recourse while large weapons just cant keep up. watch the vid cause im tired of explaining it, he will blow out every wrong opinion you have

>>336656103
there are no infinites in this game. no matter the weapon, if you hit the person with an r1, you get another r1, then roll away. its the same for every fucking weapon in the game barring weapons with a certain weapon art who can hit confirm into a weapon art and hit 4 times, aka the glaives.

and if you are complaining that giant rats are pushing you around when you agro 3000 of them then git gud. why shouldnt a giant fucking rat stagger you before your in the momentum of a swing? ever been tackled by a dog? you sure aint gonna be standing up after somethign that size lunges at you.

git

gud
>>
>>336656598
>Every armor in the game has a Poise number attached
>IT'S A BUFF GUYS
No, it's something they turned off.
>>
>>336656463
Fuck off, one spell doesn't make up for the fact that there's a stat that does literally nothing
>>
>>336656598
Everyone fucking knows about Perseverance you fuck.
The fact that the only working 'poise' in the entire game is isolated to specific weapon skills is retarded.
>>
>>336656741
sorry for the two spelling mistakes im tired as shit
>>
Yo enough about poise. Let me tell you what's broken. The Watchdogs of Farron covenant. You will never, I repeat NEVER, be summoned while using this shit.
>>
Ideally DS2 type poise would be perfect, it's not overpowered to shit but its there enough to give some depth. I'm kinda ehh on DS1 type poise returning but the main problem with it (SLB Great Club Hornet ring poisestabbers) I think can be mitigated by DS3's "wind-up" for backstabs. I'm just sick of 1h longswords staggering me while I wear full Havels.
>>
>>336656757
>"muh PvP"
no, it isnt. no one wants your shitter ass literally face tanking bosses to beat the game, you dumb shits did the same thing in das1 with bosses like 4kings, you will do it again.

git

fucking

gud

lol imagine if any other game had poise, like a beat em up. imagine if you could just tank hits in streets of rage and not be bothered by it. anyone who defends this mechanic is a retard
>>
I havnt been summoned by any covanent yet. Watchdogs, Aldirich, Darkmoon or sentinals. Yet when I invade half the time a Blue shows up and I get super gangbanged by the host his summons and the blue.
>>
>>336656783
>poise is turned off
>literally exists as a buff
>NO THAT DOESNT COUNT

Every time
>>
>>336657002
Same as the Darkmoon Blades
Why the fuck can't I invade a sinner. Without Darkmoon invasions there's no point to sin anymore despite the fact that sin is still in the game.
>>
>>336656783
>>336656790
Poise literally affects hyperarmor.
The effect is minimal and doesn't make any difference, but this "it does nothing and is set to zero" meme is bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dpbRQi9JiM
>>
Then why have fucking armor in the first place?
>>
>>336656763
I've never been tackled by a dog while wearing armour literally made out of rock, but I'm pretty sure it would be very different.
>>
File: 1432650090355.jpg (48 KB, 561x466) Image search: [Google]
1432650090355.jpg
48 KB, 561x466
>>336657192
>invading
>blues keep appearing to help out host
>decide to try it out
>equip blue sentinels
>stand around for 15 mins and never get summoned once
>>
>>336657292
Fuck if I know
I've beaten the game mostly naked, barring wearing shit for resistances
>>
>>336657076
>no one wants your shitter ass literally face tanking bosses to beat the game
Why do you care how other people play the game, you goddam autist? You're not forced to play like other people do, you know.
>>
>>336657312
the only armor made out of rock is havels and you would fucking fall flat on your ass if hit by anything with a modicum of force
>>
>>336657327
>15 minutes
Try hours.
Fucking hours of having that useless covenant on after getting it from that socially awkward fuck across 3 different playthroughs and I have not been summoned once.
>>
>>336647136
That would've knocked you down regardless
Even in Dark Souls, full Havels or Giants won't stop the Anor Londo great arrows
>>
>>336657198
Not him but, when I say poise doesn't do anything, I'm talking about the stat listed on armor which literally does nothing. A buff exists to add poise yes, but does that really excuse the fact that there is a stat that does nothing.

We can argue either poise is good or bad til we're dead, personally I don't care ,but you can't possibly defend the fact that From put a stat into the game that literally does nothing.
>>
PVP is what keeps people playing this game on Twitch. People see the game, get interested and buy it. If From wants to keep that going they better fix PvP, I'm litteraly about to go back to DS2 at this point.
>>
>>336657686
PvP is fine anon.

Are you confusing invading with PvP?
>>
>>336657327
>>336657468
You can only get summoned for the area you are in. If your SL or weapon upgrade is out of range, you won't get shit.

You are either underleveled, overleveled, or plain unlucky. Maybe you did you rarea progression backwards compared to others or some other stupid shit. Would be nice if it wasn't limited to the areas you are currently in.
>>
>>336647613
>Str is easy mode
>Every single speed run is naked parry fishing or spell spamming.
K
>>
>>336656741
You can't parry every second swing because every weapon in the entire game can stunlock you for two hits.

>>336657202
>1 poise is the same as any amount of poise
Definitely working as intended.
>>
>>336657202
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCiVg5HqWLg
It's actually equip load or some shit that affects hyper armor, so poise as far as the actual stat goes still does nothing.
>>
>>336647613
>strength is easy mode
The Estoc exists.
>>
>>336657928
speedrunners use anris sword
>>
File: 1454600250136.jpg (46 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1454600250136.jpg
46 KB, 400x300
>people actually think str is easy mode
>when it objectively requires the most stat dumping, and as if that wasn't bad enough, split across str, vit, and end
>>
File: help me.jpg (42 KB, 550x693) Image search: [Google]
help me.jpg
42 KB, 550x693
That video explaining how poise would break the game is compelling, but it ignores one important fact.

The estoc is not the only weapon in the game balanced around the idea of poise existing. There are other entire classes of weapons that rely on not being stunned out of their longer wind ups. Making them impossible to use in pve and pvp.
>>
>>336656105
A seemingly simple and intuitive fix that gets no attention because everyone is too busy bitching about imaginary arguments.
>>
>>336658467
Those weapons already have hyper armor.
>>
>>336650956
Dude I beat every boss solo in bloodborne. Dodging is so fast you should just dash away and spam heal. It's really that easy
>>
>>336658658
No. Not all of them.

Great class weapons aren't the only weapons in the game that have slow start ups that turn in to punishing combos. Without poise, they're all but impossible to use.

The system only works currently if you like using straight swords, the estoc, or an ultra class weapon with hyper armor.
>>
File: DaS3 poise.jpg (57 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
DaS3 poise.jpg
57 KB, 960x720
>>336647136
>>336655338
>>336656169
There's good reason to believe the poise stat works differently. Poise is now calculated with percentage-based diminishing returns similar to absorption instead of being additive. This is strange, because poise in earlier games was a hidden health/stamina bar drained by enemy attacks. It makes no sense to change the poise calculation from additive to a percentage that hard caps at 100 unless the hidden rules for poise have changed as well.
>>
ITT: Whining about poise when hackers are running wild and people get banned for no good reason.

Poise not being present is the least of your concern if you get banned.
>>
>>336658362
>Strength is easy mode
>Straight swords and thrusting swords exist
>>
>>336658938
Has anything regarding this actually turned out to be credible besides one youtube video? Doesn't seem like a rampant problem.
>>
>>336659083
Lets be honest. Straight swords/estoc is the easiest, but huge weapons are right there behind them. For some reason they swing faster than a lot of the smaller weapons (eat shit curved swords), but they play really well to the swing and roll away style of play. You'll do a lot of damage while still playing very defensively. Not that much punishable period for missing on them either.
>>
>>336653724
yes
>>
>>336647136
You're wrong

Poise is an awful system
>>
>>336655338
This guy pretends to show three different outcomes, but really only shows one: trades. Each of those three clips were all demonstrating what would happen in a trade between a fast and slow weapon with slightly different timing. Here's the thing, slow weapons like ultras should abso-fucking-lutely win trades. They go slow enough that you can easily roll, shield or parry on reaction rather than prediction, and doing either of those is going to allow a faster weapon user to get the next attack in. This doesn't even account for the massive disparity in DPS and damage per stamina between light weapons and ultras. The guy that swings his ultra twice like that has very little remaining stamina to roll or block anything, the light weapon user still has most of his bar.

All this, and that's only considering PvP. If one aspect of the game needs to play second fiddle to another, PvP should definitely rank second to PvE.
>>
>>336659307
If you could even theoretically roll out of a two hit combo they'd be slightly less annoying.
>>
Whats poise
>>
>>336655135
I swear they use the DeS hollow random swing in the first areas
>>
>>336648481
>God I can't imagine how easy the game would be if I gave in and didn't artificially gimp myself

sure let's pretend that you didn't just spec and gear in an extremely shitty way, and you're now just trying to rationalize your decision so it seems you did it intentionally to make the game harder.
>>
File: dreadout.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
dreadout.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>336654690
>start ng+ with a level 100 character
>notice a shit-load of signs in the highwall
>invade
>ah, it's one of those fight clubs
>host and other dark spirits rush me and kill me
>continue invading
>every two invasions I'll find a fight club
>if I don't attack they let me join
>even win one or two
>get enough pale tongues for the obscuring ring
>turn off game and go to 4chan to post this

I don't get it, why did the first group kill me?
>>
>>336659859
There are less viable combat styles and less viable builds in DS3 than ever before. You cannot honest sit here and defend it saying

>IT'S JUST YO BUILD BRAH.
>AS LONG AS YO USE THE ONE FUNCTIONAL BUILD IT'S FINE BRAH.
>>
>>336658658
No, no they don't. The wolf knight greatsword is the slowest greatsword, practically ultra speed, yet the only attack that has the slightest trace of hyper armour (other than its weapon art) is the very end of the one-handed thrust, literally the instant before it would connect anyway. That hyper armour is impossible to capitalize on. I believe halberds and reapers are in a similar boat with horrendous speed and no hyper armour, though they at least get reach.
>>
>>336660064
As much as everyone loves to shit on DS2 it had much better weapon mechanics and balance. You could easily make it through the game with any type of weapon except maybe twinblades but that was just because you don't move forward with them. Status elements were way more useful, especially poison which only does 3dps in this game so its never worth using under any condition.
And why on earth would they take out power stance and force me to wait until the second to last area of the game before I can use two spears/axes?
>>
>>336650162

That's every viable build regardless of str or dex in this game, most weapons R2s suck ass and you'll get knocked out of them if something farts on you so spamming R1 is basically the way to go. Dex weapons just happen to be faster.
>>
>>336660373
I never thought I'd be nostalgic for DS3, but here we are.
>>
>>336660518
DS2, rather. Shit.
>>
>>336660518

I couldn't be nostalgic for DS2 if I tried , DS3 has some pretty fucking bad problems but I still like it more than I ever could like DS2.
>>
>>336660064
>ONE FUNCTIONAL BUILD

every build is functional. Some builds just take more effort than others, and sometimes a build can be strong in one scenario but weak in another.

But sure, we can agree that armor should matter more than it does now. There should be more difference in damage absorbtion and poise than there is now (as in next to no meaningful difference between a clothie and a plate wearer, besides one having much better mobility)

As for weapons, I think the whining about longswords and estocs is completely overdone, and only shows how bad people are at adapting.
>>
>>336660649
You refuted your own stance and then try defending it in the next breath. Holy shit.
>>
>>336660612
>>336660518
I love all of the Souls-series+Bloodborne, so I'm nostalgic for Dark Souls 2.

Hope they add more Dark Souls 2 stuff in the DLC that isn't just A-team taking a massive shit on B-team like the few references in the base game are.
>>
>>336660761
>A-team taking a massive shit on B-team like the few references in the base game are.
Explain.
>>
>>336660703
No I didn't you dumb fuck. I said they can be functional, but implied that they could be exponentially harder than others.

But sure, throw your hands up in the air and whine like you do so well.
>>
>>336660880
But the entire problem is how armor functions right now you numb fuckbucket. That is what causes the narrowing of good and/or viable builds. It's what is making so many builds much harder to utilize this time to the point of sheer awkwardness while other builds from previous games have gone from mediocre to autopilot.

And you just admited the armor system was fucked up.
>>
>>336659702
In DaS1/DaS2 it was a hidden meter beneath health and stamina that protected players from hitstun. When an attack drained poise completely players would stagger and be open to attacks. Poise automatically resets to full a second or so after it's drained. DaS1 poise had high passive regeneration letting players with 100+ poise tank several hits then rolling away to let it recover. DaS2 poise had negligible passive regeneration ensuring that players with high poise would eventually be staggered with enough potshots.

In DaS3, pretty much any attack causes stagger no matter how much poise somebody has, so poise either has an entirely different effect or it does nothing at all.
>>
>>336660761

I'd rather just go back to Bloodborne.
>>
>>336661038
The importance lies in the wording. Harder does not mean non-functional.

Any build that stays below 70% carry weight is perfectly viable.

When speaking of strictly PVE, everything is viable, since you're not in a Stat arms-race against other players which leaves you free to invest in Vitality. It does not mean that it's efficient, only that it's viable.
>>
>>336661385
A game should strive to be more than simply "viable to complete". Any game with that as it's bar has it's expectations set incredibly low.
>>
>>336649398
Because it's better without it. They should just make really ligjt weapons only stun for 1 hit and make armor have more dmg% reduction
>>
what is even the point of heavy armor than? They made damage absorption roughly the same for all armors. And now it has no poise too. If they wanted armor to be purely cosmetics why the fuck would they lock it behind incredibly dull stat. There should be a fair trade off of protection for mobility with heavy armor. But right now there isnt.

What they should do is tie stamina consumption to equip load and buff damage absorption for every medium and heavy armors
>>
>>336655814
They have hyper-armor but even straight up Havel basically staggers in one hit when just normally hitting him with a Halberd.
>>
>>336657201
Darkmoon only invades invaders just like way of blue. Let that sink in. Sin doesn't exist anymore either.
>>
File: makelondorgreatagain.jpg (52 KB, 560x840) Image search: [Google]
makelondorgreatagain.jpg
52 KB, 560x840
>>336657002
Why does everyone say that?

Get to Farron's around level 30, sit at the old wolf bonfire, and activate the Farron covenant. I got a fucking shit ton of summons during that level
>>
>>336655769
>necessary
No it isnt you fucking retarded autist.
>>
Reminder that poise does nothing, the stat does nothing as does the wolf ring
People think this deception is okay
>>
>>336657838
From is actually really bad at this covenant thing huh
>>
>>336657838
I can confirm you're full of shit. I've been summoned as a blue to zones I'm not in. Hell I've never been summoned to a zone I WAS in.
>>
>>336661965
the Farron zones are pretty much dead if you happen to outlevel it, which can easily happen before you even get there.

A perfect solution would be to allow invasions, but scale the invader to the same level as the host, like they do with friend summons. But FROM can't into easy solutions.
>>
>>336662082
Well, it's understandable they don't want people massively out of pace with eachother interacting, but then it's impossible to know what the average player is doing for each area without some data collecting. In past games, eventually players got enough data to create average guidelines for each area based on what you want to be doing for what convent.

But yes. if you step one inch over the SL line, you won't get anything.

>>336662247
That's.. odd. I've never had that happen. In previous games this was the case for autosummon/autoinvasion convents, and not having been cross zone summoned I assumed it was still the case.

What do you mean by zones you're not in? Some zones are still counted as connected by virtue of being the same load zone even if you can't cross them in online play.
>>
>>336659182
It's been at the top of the news feed for Das3 on steam for a while now. They know about it but fixing it would require them to be competent.
>>
Until they confirm whether it being turned off is intentional or not, what is the point in arguing about it?
>>
>>336662749
it has been confirmed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldIxzYQ7nIw
>>
>>336662891
I meant by From Soft you idiot.
>>
>>336662749
>If it's an accident it's another huge blunder to add to the constant crashing blunder they still have not fixed
>If it's on purpose they look inept at balancing.
They'll continue to bury their heads in the sand and not say anything.
>>
>>336662749
I'm starting to feel this way, and I also feel From doesn't give a shit. The most we can do now is refuse to buy the DLC that's inevitably coming, but that won't do anything either.
>>
>>336662926
Don't need their confirmation, you fucking retard. It has been proven by players that it is literally switched off by changing a single data value from 1 to 0.
>>
>>336662926
How could it not be? The game's been released for quite some time in Japan. They would've patched it.
>>
>>336663003
That doesn't prove anything, you retard. The engine still has functions from DeS.
>>
>>336663003
If From Soft has deliberately turned it off then the game is working as intended and everyone can move on.

If it is unintentional they can fix it and everyone can move on.

Stop being obtuse.
>>
>>336663086
fact 1: Poise exists as a stat in the game. There are items that only has Poise, nothing else.
fact 2: Poise stat does absolutely nothing by default, it has no effect in game.
fact 3: Poise can be made functional by changing one single data value from 0 to 1.

So what the fuck do you even need confirmation for?
>>
>>336660020
if you invade, there's a chance that you might be really invading. if you put your sign down, then you are asking for a duel. although both can have gankers on the invadee side.
>>
>>336663286
So what if Iron Flesh spell just temporarily switches the poise variable from 0 to 1 for its duration? How farfetched would this idea be?
>>
>>336663402
No.
>>
>>336663402
Pretty farfetched, since it'd be weird if Iron Flesh made you move slow as a snail when naked and not give you poise.
>>
>>336663286
From to come out and say it, word by word, that it wasn't intentional.

1. The game has been out for month
2. Poise absolutely breaks the game as proven by footage
3. Poise will drag PvP back to pre-1.05 DaS levels of ridiculousness

They may have intended poise to function differently, but couldn't reach a solution in time. Worthless items/stats are nothing new to the series anyway.
>>
File: dancer.jpg (49 KB, 780x1024) Image search: [Google]
dancer.jpg
49 KB, 780x1024
>>336662369
When I came back to Farron Keep on NG+, invasions were still sort of frequent for me. I was around 80 when I went there, it took usually less than three minutes for me to get summoned into a world
>>
>>336663529
Nah, I meant aside from its other traits such as slow walking.
>>
File: Untitled.png (29 KB, 1564x720) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
29 KB, 1564x720
>be a heavy slow weapon user
>fighting Estoc faggots
>my weapon is very clearly longer than theirs
>somehow their poke hits me but mine doesn't reach them even though my weapon is 3x longer

The only problem I have with this game is that I'm forced to play with fucking BR's, Russians and Aussie using Estoc shitters with 20 foot range.
>>
>>336663532
>Poise absolutely breaks the game as proven by footage
Bull fucking shit it has. That footage ignores everything but a single scenario that happens in the game.
>>
>>336663532
>From to come out and say it, word by word, that it wasn't intentional.
You say not to use conjecture but then...
>but couldn't reach a solution in time
Conjecture
All this proves is they are incompetnet as fuck
>>
>>336663532
>as proven by footage
That footage was poise cranked up to unobtainable levels, you complete tit.
>>
>>336663623
Are your attacks horizontal slashes while theirs are stabs?

Your attack only stays in their hitbox for a fraction of a second when they roll backwards while theirs stay in your backroll the entire time.
>>
>>336663532
>2. Poise absolutely breaks the game as proven by footage
8 hits to become staggered by weakest enemies in the game while wearing late-game armor set and still taking damage breaks the game? Well, fuck me, I didn't know!!
>>
>>336663623
The way all games work is hitboxes. Estoc hitboxes seem to be instant and function like your image online.
>>
>>336649589
>>336649835
go shit up /pol/ or something
>>
>>336663810
>what is unwritten rules of behavior in a certain society
>>
File: Sirris sleeping in the grass.jpg (673 KB, 1917x1077) Image search: [Google]
Sirris sleeping in the grass.jpg
673 KB, 1917x1077
What is a good weapon for a Sorc to use?

I'm thinking of going into NG+ but I want to raise some different weapons up first.

Right now I use a Rapier 95% of the time. I have 12 Str and 18 Dex (I think).
>>
>>336663773
>Are your attacks horizontal slashes while theirs are stabs?
I have literally been outranged by an Estoc while using FUGS R2 huge ass poke. Taking into account both the amount I step forward into it and the Estoc user does as well.

Then you check the last played and they're from fucking Kenya.

90% of the bullshit you see online is down to FROM only having Jap + rest of the fucking world servers. Putting on cross region restriction does nothing but separate you from the Japs.
>>
>>336663918
dark sword
>>
>>336647613
I happen to know this man IRL and can confirm it is in fact everyone else who is cheesing the game and not because he is dogshit at it.

I mean why else would anyone come to 4chan and bitch so extensively?
>>
>>336663402
Changing the data value makes poise WORK, it makes it SCALE. Changing the data value does not make you immune to stagger if you are not wearing any items that give poise. It only enables the poise that you are already wearing.

>>336663532
Having poise disabled means ALL heavy armors are COMPLETELY USELESS. Not just the items that only have poise, like Wolf ring. Heavy armor has terrible weight to defence ratio, meaning their only redeeming value are their poise values.

But yes, it is probably intentionally disabled and I never said it wasn't. That does not make it any more right. They need to make heavy armor viable, either by fixing the dmg reduction to weight ratio, or by enabling poise again.
>>
>>336656460
Who's getting hit by big weapons? They're stupidly telegraphed. It's pretty lame if you have to trade to win when faster weapons don't even need to.
>>
>>336663673
The game ended up built around hyper armor. 3 enemies going at it pose no threat at all, recovery from stagger is almost instant.

>>336663725
Hence may. I don't think they would intentionally spit on the faces of everyone who abused poise for the last two games, even if I'm taking immense pleasure from it.

>they are incompetnet as fuck
No arguing there.

>>336663757
47 poise is far from unobtainable.

>>336663787
See above.

>>336664015
Damage resistance is actually worth something this time around, so there's that.
>>
>>336664094
>spit on the faces of everyone who abused poise for the last two games
I just don't want to be hitstunned to all hell by rapiers, dark swords, estocs, longswords and dark swords.
>>
>>336647136
Unless poise just gives you more hyper armour during attacking frames, I really don't want to see it back at all. The system they have is close to being good, don't scrap it just to bring back the ability to walk through anything that isn't a UGS to backstab.
>>
>>336664221
Only lasts two swings. Rapier and Estoc should have been slower, but hey, From got a bias for some weapons.
>>
>>336664221
You're stunned for two hits. You can parry, block, or roll during that. The issue is how fast they are, their bloated damage and their range. Change a single one of those things, and it'd be alright.
>>
>>336664094
>Damage resistance is actually worth something this time around, so there's that.

You need to invest a ridiculous amount into Vitality to even wear heavy armor without fatrolling, which means gimping your damage and/or stamina and health. The defence gained over medium armor is simply not worth it when factoring in the loss of stats to Vitality. It is an incredibly inefficient way to spend stats, effectively making heavy armor a gimmick with no practical value. It renders a large portion of ingame armors useless.

Heavy armor defence needs to be much higher for it to be worth the Vitality investment.
>>
>>336664334
They also added shield guard break. Not to mention straight swords can swing 5-6 times and estocs at least 8 times
>>
>>336663554
I have a character at level 75 that can stand around for 30 mins and not get summoned. Just NG though, but that shouldn't matter according to what people say.
>>
>>336664094
>47 poise is far from unobtainable.
47%? That's pretty fucking insane.
>>
>>336664402
Seconding this. In DS1 the stat that gave you weight limit also gave you stamina so even if you were overpumping it for heavy armors it still gave you something else
>>
File: 1459047746392.jpg (75 KB, 480x533) Image search: [Google]
1459047746392.jpg
75 KB, 480x533
>Finally grinded the 30 Wolf Grass to max out the covenant
>Get Artorias shield which is pretty great
>And his ring which increases poise
>When poise is literally turned off
>They make you grind like a madman for a ring that does absolutly nothing
>>
>>336664402
Agreed. Absorption is already calculated with percent-based diminishing returns, so there's no need for heavier armors to have such inefficient weight-to-absorption ratios.

Alternatively they should bump up the equip load increase. +1 seems too small, but then again I want to use heavy weapons with high poise.
>>
>Poise Damage values discovered in the game files
>Whips: 10
>Thrusting Swords/Fist Weapons: 15
>Straight Swords/Curved Swords/Katanas/Spears/Halberd: 20
>Greatswords/Axes/Clubs: 23
>UGS/Huge Curved/Greatclubs: 28
>Greataxes: 30
>two handing boosts poise damage by around 1.5x
>full havel set without any boosts nets you around 32.75 poise, 58 weight
>he still thinks poise would ruin the game
Thread replies: 222
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.