[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Pick up game >absolutely love it >engrossed and can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 29
>Pick up game
>absolutely love it
>engrossed and can't stop playing for anything
>about two thirds of the way through
>drop it completely for absolutely no reason without ever picking it up again

I've just realised that i've done this with about 20 games over the last few years... fucking why ?

its not even like i get bored, i just literally stop for no reason

who else here does this ?
>>
>>336501952
I did it with FF13. Turns out people lied. It doesn't get good 20+ hours in. It stays shit the whole way through.
>>
It's depression or time to find a new hobby
>>
You got bored and or burned out.
>>
I do that with roleplaying/adventure games. Spend hours exploring and collecting tons of stuff and then I just abandon the game, never using any of the stuff I spent hours collecting.
>>
>>336501952
I've done that with almost every Zelda game. I don't know why I do it either.
>>
>>336502025
Did you even read OPs post?
>>
Happened to me with Xenoblade chronicles X, probably because the story was not even slightly interesting enough to keep me playing even though the gameplay was fine.
>>
>>336501952
I've experienced a similar thing. it's usually long games and especially open world. both fire emblems, gta , saints row, skyrim, fallout 4, etc. I delve into side stuff and by the time I get back to the main storyline I'm just bored and stop playing.
>>
>>336501952
This is why i have never finished a final fantasy game ever except 10.

and always i restart from the beginning so i can relearn how everything works and what the story was up until that point
>>
ADD
>>
Persona 4.

Then I came back to it a couple of years later and replayed the full way through.
>>
File: 1410295274883.png (6 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1410295274883.png
6 KB, 400x400
Literally me
>>
>>336501952
I do that all the time, but I try to always make an effort to go back and beat the games because otherwise it will annoy me forever.
I literally stopped playing Final Fantasy X at the last boss because I was underleveled and didn't feel like grinding and to this day it still annoys me and I feel like going back in to grind enough to beat the final boss.
>>
File: bk.png (1 MB, 941x715) Image search: [Google]
bk.png
1 MB, 941x715
>>336501952
symptom of ""gamer fatigue"". I havent finished a single game in over a year now alltough they kept me entertained I just couldnt convince myself to continue once i stopped playing them for over a day or so
>>
>>336501952
I've done that with way too many games. I just get to some point and then put the game down, assuming I'll pick the controller back up the next day to continue another enjoyable game session. But the next day I never start that next session, and same with the next day after that, and on and on, never picking the game back up. For some reason I just can't bring myself to just play the damn game again. Then it's so unsatisfying to go back way later to finish it.
I also know a couple anime I've done that with too, where I stop literally two episodes from the end. I don't get it.
Hell, I think I've even done it with a movie.
>>
>>336501952
Same shit for me. The only recent games i've fully finished over several sessions are Wolfenstein New order and old blood, dark souls 1 and dark souls 3. I'm trying to finish dark souls 2 currently.

I have hundreds of games on steam i have yet to touch or finish. But for some reason, after long time of never finishing any games. I got my hands on wolfenstein and when i finished it i was surprised of myself for actually wrapping up a game completely.

Either lay off games for a while or try find a game that will give you that childhood kick again.
>>
File: 1454214913888.jpg (26 KB, 500x320) Image search: [Google]
1454214913888.jpg
26 KB, 500x320
The Witcher 3
Defense Grid 2
Bought them both last month, and just stopped.
>>
>>336506329
>witcher 3
same. something about the open world rpg aspec is super tiring.

cant get passed mission 6 of double dragon neon because of the fuckin freezes/crashing when the arrows are on screen
>>
File: 1440762993626.png (102 KB, 651x486) Image search: [Google]
1440762993626.png
102 KB, 651x486
>>336501952
it's because you enjoy it and don't want it to end
>>
File: 1461035374821.jpg (156 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1461035374821.jpg
156 KB, 640x480
The reason you do this is because people like to experience the flavors of the month and discuss them as they come out. There's nothing worse than "missing" the moment, and being the fag that wants to talk about it after everyone is done with it.

So what do you do? You switch between expericing games you are told daily have aged well from the passed, and playing current titles getting a lot of press like overwatch and whatever the fuck else.

You USED to play because you just had the game and fuck what the internet thinks. Now it's about rallying for or against games the second they come out.

In other words quit being a faggot and stick with one game. The gaming community including /v/ is putrid garbage, so there's no reason to get all worked up about flavors of the month just because of hype from a bunch of retards.
>>
>>336506458
fuck ...
>>
I have done this with so many games. In FFVI at literally the last boss. That's years ago, and I forgot everything about the game or why I even liked it so much that I maxed out my characters.

I have been able to avert it more recently by forcing myself to continue on with the game. Finished Dragonfall, Deus Ex HR and Dishonored. (I got into these late for reasons) And right now I'm stalling with Vampire.
>>
>>336504043
i have done it with all of these games too
>>
I did this like 3 times with Deus ex. By the time i picked it up again I had completely forgotten what had happened, where I am, what I should do and where to go.
Still haven't finished it.
>>
>>336506458

This anon's got the right idea.
>>
>>336506232
>/v/ - Video Games
Anon you're me. Legit the same with Wolfenstein new order and old blood
>>
>think of the last single player game i finished
>max payne 3 when that came out (day one pre order)
>hmmm that wasn't too long ago
>look it up on google just now
>MAY 2012
>WTF
>have bought about 40 games since then
>havent finished any

is gaming dead to me /v/ ?
>>
>>336501952
I do that. I did it with mother 3 and p4.
>>
>>336506817
You're projecting bro.
>>
>>336501952
Been playing xenoblade chronicles for 5 years now. Play for a day or two and stop for 7 months. Come back and relearn everything, look at pretty environments then leave for another 6-7 months after a day. Doesn't help that the story is awful. Finally just made it out of Valak Mountain though. About 100 hours of gameplay.
>>
>>336506817
Projecting, the post.

Not true for those people who are doing this with games which aren;t currently popular on the internet, and that's most people in this thread.
>>
File: 1329246454332.jpg (178 KB, 434x575) Image search: [Google]
1329246454332.jpg
178 KB, 434x575
>>336510798
>made it out of Valak Mountain
>100 hours of gameplay
>>
>>336512592
I'm one of the slowest gamers you've probably ever seen. I'll post my MGS game times here at some point just because you guys probably wouldn't be able to believe it. MGS2 was literally on the freighter for like 5 hours because I kept getting lost and couldn't find the right room. It's funny because when I had to switch to Raiden it wasn't even that jarring because I thought there was a good amount of gameplay as snake.

Also there were probably some times when I left Xenoblade idling while I looked stuff up or went on 4chan or something. Most of that was gameplay though. I mean, I didn't leave the first village for a good 10 hours probably because I just wandered around killing those crabs and things.
>>
>>336504043
Happened to me after the Shivering Isles in Oblivion.
And after attempting to mod Skyrim.
And after a couple of hours of Fallout 3.

Bethesda games are shitty, I wish people would stop giving me them.
>>
>>336501952
Nice to know I'm not alone in doing this.

I even tell myself when I'm playing a particularly engrossing and fun game that theres no way I can lose all motivation to play it this time, or until I finish it but then just a couple days later I'll not play one day and tell myself I will pick it up the next but I never do, sometimes not for months sometimes not ever again its like all desire to play is sapped away despite how much I had or how engaging it was.

Most recent was Deus Ex HR, had a lot of fun, story is interesting, love the setting and theme, got to the mission where you return to Shanghai, Malik crashes, I put in everything I have learned over the course of the game to save her, and she flies off and I feel that's a good point to save the game and go to sleep and play tomorrow and that was last fucking year ago.

I did this with Fallout 3 too, right before you assault with Liberty Prime, I saved the game there and never returned to it, that was like 5 years ago.

I rarely finish things in my life but especially videogames. It's why I prefer mostly to play multiplayer games like Mountain Blade Warband, Battlefield 4, Space Station 13 etc.
>>
>>336501952
Son of a bitch, I haven't played Skies of Arcadia in a month. Thanks for the reminder.
>>
>>336506458
>>336506817

Sometimes I feel like its because you get so overwhelmed by everything in it you want to do everything but know how long that will take and how tedious some of it will be so you just elect to stop playing altogether so you never burden yourself if its less than what you expected.

Or you don't want to be bothered to do the tedious bits to get to what you really want.

I'm thinking about open world sandbox games here, and how absolutely sick of them I am.
>>
>>336501952
I do this for everything
> won't watch the last episode of favorite anime/tv show
> play games and stop during the last hours of the game
I literally only give 80%
>>
>>336505991
Literally me.jpg
>For some reason I just can't bring myself to just play the damn game again. Then it's so unsatisfying to go back way later to finish it.

For me its also it feels off playing a game so long after abandoning it so randomly, but for the few games that I do return to one time after months or a year not playing I just remember how much fun I had and regret not getting back to the game sooner, but sure enough a few days later the same thing will happen, drop it midway through.

>I also know a couple anime I've done that with too, where I stop literally two episodes from the end. I don't get it.
>Hell, I think I've even done it with a movie.

I've had periods where I went a year without watching any anime despite having a backlog larger than my vidya backlog. Its like the desire is there but I don't know where to begin, and worry I won't end up liking the show and will feel like I wasted time.

And by that point its been so long since I watched anime that several shows have new seasons but I cant remember what happened in the old ones so I feel like I have to rewatch the old anime first to enjoy the new ones, and that feels kind of tedious, and also overwhelming because I don't know where to begin.

Huge movie backlog too, non that I left mid-way like games but tons that I want to watch but can never find the time or motivation.
>>
>>336501952
Happens all the time with me, too. Don't know what it is. Maybe it has to do with certain games just being too long for me and losing interest before I can finish. Most of the games I've completed recently have been relatively short games.
>>
Asscreed's hard to finish
>>
>>336515397
>always have to lewve a few morsels of food behind no matter what I eat
>always leave a singleplayer game unfinished and rarely return to it
>same with anime
>same with movies
>same with other shows
>never know quite when I'm finished when drawing
>sometimes draw something really complex that takes a lot of time but never finish it the next day and never return to it, leaving it half completed
>feels like I almost never finish anything in my life

Why is this
>>
I have done this a lot. However I keep the savegames and finish stuff years later. Nothing like loading a game and going who the fuck are these characters? what the hell am i doing? what is this gear?
>>
File: 1462166097640.jpg (75 KB, 410x307) Image search: [Google]
1462166097640.jpg
75 KB, 410x307
>>336515959
ALSO

>get really into modding a game and downloading tons of mods, trying them out ocassionally playing the game with the mods but more often just spending time looking for and installing cool mods
>get really knowledgeable about the inner workings of modding the game
>rarely put out a mod of my own for the game
>continue modding and playing with mods thinking just how much left there is to do
>starting to feel overwhelmed by sheer possibilities of mods
>stop playing and modding the game for a day
>one day becomes two
>two becomes three
>lost all desire to play the game or mod it despite still wanting to to experience all I can from it, just feel no motivation to put the effort in to do it
>also feeling overwhelmed by all the mods out there and wanting to try them all - almost
>group all my tabs related to modding the game in a seperate tab group and save it for later maybe when the mood strikes again
>.....
>half a year later remind myself or something reminds me about the game and its mods or whatever, feel inspired again to play and mod it
>dread having to re-learn everything about modding it and remember what the fuck you were doing
>dread having to update your uploaded mod for new game versions or deal with any bugs and shit that other users who downloaded it have reported
>put it off for a little while longer
>eventually either return to it and get all busy modding and playing the game again only to stop after a week or so again
>or just continue putting it off for later, later and later

Fallout 4, GTAV, Skyrim, Men of War Assault Squad 2, Arma 3, etc..

FUCK
>>
>>336516913
Oh fuck i just remembered I got really into modding Star Wars Battlefront 2 and having tons of fun with lots of maps and mods still left to enjoy but then I stop for a bit after buying the game on Steam for cheap, just so I won't have to play with the disk anymore but then I remembered all the mods I'm going to have to move over, but thats no big deal right I'll do it tomorrow and then get back to playing my Ultimate Clone Wars mod on all the new maps I have downloaded but have yet to play on...

That was 5 MONTHS AGO

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ME
>>
Happened to me most recently with FO4. I spent like 80 hours doing side quests and the bullshit faction fetch quests. I dropped it before even making it to the glowing sea.
>>
>>336501952
I always finish every single one of my games played.
>>
>>336516009
Funny for me that thought gives me despair because I feel like I lost the original mood that I started when playing the game and am just replaying because its been so long since I played and I want to finish the story or want to get back into it for whatever reason. For some games I never do though, or I haven't yet.

And if its multiplayer games I just get depressed thinking about how the playerbase has completely changed by now, old servers are probably gone and theres less and less people playing the game every month.

And for Battlefield 1942 that turned out to be true, EA released the game for free on Origin forever splitting the playerbase of those of us stll playing on the disk version. And the game is far less populated now.

At least Battlefield 4 is still going strong though and its never been a better time to play it, despite how long its been since I last played the favorite servers and stuff are still there, its great to see.
>>
File: 1441381520330.gif (199 KB, 336x468) Image search: [Google]
1441381520330.gif
199 KB, 336x468
MFW im not alone in this
>>
>>336517465
>I dropped it before even making it to the glowing sea.

Fuck, same.

I kinda felt directionless and didn't know if I wanted to play seriously or messing around with cheats and mods, or playing seriously up to a point while messing around with mods and cheats but then that feels like it cheapens the experience so I decided first to play seriously while just messing around with mods but then I got overwhelmed by all the mods out there and still felt directionless and didn't like the main story and all the side quests out there overwhelmed me and I just stopped playing at some point.

Told myself I'll come back to it when we get a good alternate start mod.
>>
>>336501952
It's because all these games you play just recycle the same gameplay over and over, and make the game long for the sake of having a long game.

Within a few hours, you've already seen everything the game has to offer. So unless you actually care about sub-par stories in videogames, there's really no reason to keep playing.
>>
>>336517789
Yeah I'm really happy I found this thread desu for the longest time (a decade or so) I've had this happening and its always confused me as to why, and I hate that feeling of wanting to play a game but not wanting to at the same time or feeling no motivation for it, despite remembering how much fun it was.

I still haven't figured out why it happens, its not just games too but anime and shows and such, and its games with stories or multiplayer games doesn't matter, short games or long games.

Its so perplexing and I just want to know why this happens.

I just remembered another game its happened to me with, Witcher 1, and I still have Witcher 2 and 3 left to play (got 1 and 2 as a gift and dont have 3 yet) but I can't bring myself to do it.

I feel like in regards to open world RPG/sandbox games I'm taking a huge break from them to ready myself for Cyberpunk 2077 if it will be similar open world to the Witcher and GTAV etc, so that I don't feel it so stale and tedious like open world games are starting to feel. But its not just because of that reason that I quit them so soon sometimes not even midway through.

Shit I just remembered, I wanted to give Vindictus and Tera a go but all I did was make my character, fuck around in the starting place a bit and log off yet to return..

And I'm still waiting to go back to Planetside 2 again, quit playing for half a year and I have no idea why, I was having fun in the game after-all, maybe the grind got to me.

I'm >>336517803
>>336517613
>>336517220
>>336516913
>>336515959
>>336515639
>>336515096
>>336514872
btw.
>>
>>336518694
Also happens really often to me with RTS games like Homeworld 1 and 2 which I have yet to finish, only dipped my toes into Homeworld.

Civilization V also I had really enjoyed it, and had plenty more I want to do with it like civs on Pangea, desert worlds, ocean world, many mods and civ mods left to try out, WWII scenario, etc and wanted to do a lot with that game but I haven't gone back to it since BNW came out.

Also Earth 2150, got really into that game and it was a breath of fresh air compared to modern RTS games like COH but I quit playing halfway through the campaign as the European faction and haven't gone back to it despite just barely starting to play and already loving it with all the cool technology moments, the base building and trench digging, underground gameplay with tunnels and the battles you can have in them.

But I feel no motivation to go and start it up again despite remembering what is so fun about it

Help me I must be broken.
>>
>>336502047
>depression meme
>>
>>336513284

I got MGS collection on Xbox, still stuck on the freighter mission, its kinda tedious and I last played it a few months ago too.

I'm honestly surprised I finished MGS fully when I played it on PC last year, that surprised even me, to finish a game fully like that.
>>
Happens to me too. I find myself playing competitive games online more than single player games.
Actually the only one game I can always go back to and play the shit out of is Dino Crisis 2. Seems like older games feel more complete or simpler. I think the devs put too much time on multiplayer and making a game look pretty than making it fun :(
>>
>>336520167

Happens to me with older games as much as it does new ones. To the point I don't even buy new games that much because I know I will leave them unfinished.
>>
>>336501952
I do the same. The answer is saturation: You have so many games now that you can't even complete one without darting off to the other. When you were younger, you put more effort to finish your games, no matter how long they were.
>>
>Have no fucking idea where to go next
>Start a new game
>End up dropping it again at the same place

every time
>>
>>336501952
Ori and the Blind Forest
Persona 4

up until recently R&C was that way too.
>>
>replay FFVII
>quit for 4 months after getting to the golden saucer
>pick it back up again 3 weeks ago
>beat disc 1
>get to the part right after Diamond Weapon
>quit again
help
>>
>>336520564
>saturation

Maybe so but that doesnt explain all the reasons why.

I feel like its a mix of multiple factors and they vary between people and games

>over saturation of games
>depression
>ADD
>feeling overwhelmed
>easier to shitpost on 4chan than start up a game where you might miss a fun thread on /v/
>game fatigue
>shit modern games
>no time for long and drawn out tedious open world games with fetch quests and lots of grinding in between the fun parts
>games with shitty stories
>
>>
>>336506329
I was super into the witcher 3 and then I stopped playing and haven't played it once since the bit after the Kaer Morhen defence because the whole game felt like it was building up to it, and then it's awesome when it's happening then suddnely it's over and there's more game. Seriously, why didn't the final boss fight happen right there and then the game ends. It feels like massively anti-climactic filler.
>>
>>336501952
I did this with Lost Odyssey. Got to the fourth disc, decided to take a break at the part where you have to take down the 4 bosses that are making their way to the city before the time runs out and never got around to it, and I forgot what was going on in the plot so there's no reason to go back and finish it. Fantastic game though, wish I would have stuck with it until the end.
>>
>>336521173
Those feelings aren't uncommon, but there's a simpler reason you're having those feelings:

investing time and energy to finish a game takes effort, you don't play games to spend effort. So you rather buy a new game and hop onto it than try to spend the effort to finish the games you have.
>>
>>336521297

How can you be okay not having finished it? It nags at me so much, even when I find out more about the game by being spoiled on /v/ and basically know how it ends or have an idea of it I still feel a slight nagging need to finish it fully one day, someday, despite never being in the mood.
>>
>>336521563
That theory falls apart when it comes to multiplayer games, sandbox games that you just use for modding, games like Garrysmod, etc.

Games where the only effort is just getting it started because its a multiplayer game or whatever.

But what you said about effort makes me think about modding games like I talk about here
>>336517220
>>336516913
And how much effort it really is to mod games, especially when you have multiple games you want to mod but its a lot of effort to mod even just one as you deal with inevitable problems that arise always when modding games and mod stacking.

So maybe effort is a part of it, in some cases. But to me it feels like more effort to start a new game and watch a new anime than rewatching or replaying old and familiar ones for some reason, especially when it comes to anime which is why I put off watching new anime for so long and have such a long backlog.

Funny thing is the rare moment that I do just say fuck it and start watching a new show I can find myself easily hooked on it but that just can't be forced even if I try it has to come out of nowhere and happens rarely and then I think afterwards I can do the same with a new anime but then lose the motivation entirely again.

Its somewhat similar with games too.
>>
File: 1462067614093.jpg (47 KB, 398x356) Image search: [Google]
1462067614093.jpg
47 KB, 398x356
>>336501952
That has happened to me since I was a kid. First game was the GC Resident Evil.

I haven't even finished New Vegas, Dishonored, Bioshock and a bunch of other games I really liked.

I'm always waiting for a chance to play them all at once until they end, but I always have something else to do.
>>
Do you anons find yourself qutting games before they get truly difficult? Before you have to invest more time, effort, focus or energy into them than you did up till now?

For F2P/MMO games it can be once the grind starts becoming so much more unbearable (like Tier 3-4 tanks and planes).

For singleplayer games, once the story starts getting convoluted and a lot more heavy, followed with more challenging missions.

For RPG/sandboxes once you start getting lost and overwhelmed with side quests and main quest missions and dozens of new places to explore and fight in.

For 4X, grand strat games once you start getting into tedium of managing the Empire and dealing with a million different tasks at once.

For all other games once you start having to learn complex mechanics and the difficulty curve of the game shoots up requiring a lot of time invested in attempting to git gud, or the difficulty doesnt change but the game starts to feel a lot more tedious and drawn out for some reason, despite still being fun when it can be fun.

Theres a hypothesis of sorts I'm trying to put together here.
>>
>>336501952

I saw a pic of Conker so I'm obligated to quote him

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1AxukwYZCxF
>>
File: 1457877115351.png (4 KB, 242x243) Image search: [Google]
1457877115351.png
4 KB, 242x243
>>336501952
I only started doing this once I entered the workforce and started buying games en masse
>>
>>336523162
I'm not in the workforce and still do this.
>>
>>336523376
Where does the money come from?

Autismbux?
>>
>>336523490
No but some saved over and games long ago acquired, plus shitloads of steam sales back when steam was just starting and many games went on many large sales.

I dont buy many new games now, maybe 3 a year but I still have this problem of the OP and the thread.
>>
File: 1403324491464.jpg (27 KB, 300x299) Image search: [Google]
1403324491464.jpg
27 KB, 300x299
It's been happening to me lately. I got 4 games in my library at about 50-90% completion and whether i feel like playing them i end up reading shit on internet instead.
I'm doing it right now
>>
>>336524301
It feels like, if everything feels like it takes a lot of effort, playing vidya, anime, movie, drawing, other hobbies of yours, going outside even etc, effort to even get started let alone continue with them, then you naturally do that which takes the least amount of effort like browsing the internet, and which requires the least input and focus. And porn on the other hand is slightly a bit more effort with an immediate and strong reward. So internet and porn kind of become the main thing you do.

So you just keep doing that what takes the least effort until you work up enough motivation to actually play a game or games for a week or watch anime or whatever for a week or day before you have no motivation left for anything but browsing internet again, and the worst part is when you feel like you dont want to browse anymore and you dont want to watch porn, you dont feel up to the effort of playing a game or watching anime or doing anything and you sit there staring at your screen for a few minutes before turning off the PC, lying down on the bed and browsing 4chan aimlessly, going from board to board on your tablet before you fall asleep at some point
>>
>>336506817

Jesus you could not be more fucking wrong if you tried.
>>
I've done this a lot too, sometimes it's cause something else comes out, no idea ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
I enjoyed the gameplay of SMT Nocturne a whole lot, but once the fun of a long RPG's gameplay begins to grow stale, it's typically the story or the characters that carries me to the credits. Nocturne has neither. I never finished Nocturne. Put it down for the night near the end of the game fully intending to play more the next day and it never happened.
>>
>>336526415

and then how long do you play that something else, do you ever finish it or move on to something else
>>
>>336506329
did the same with witcher 3 even though i enjoyed it.
>>
its because it can feel like a chore even if you are into the game, there's always the thoughts of how long the game is or getting involved into the story, its why games like league are so popular, because the only commitment you have is that one game you're in and even then you can just quite the match, but with a game you like you cant really quit because you're invested, just my take on it
>>
>>336526450
>Put it down for the night near the end of the game fully intending to play more the next day and it never happened.

Fuck thats me with Ass Creed 4. I liked the game too even though the ship combat quickly became sort of stale and no engagement felt really different from the previous, especially once you level up your ship significantly. But I still had yet to face the Legendary ships and win, there was more for the game for me but I just stopped playing.
>>
>>336526581
>its because it can feel like a chore even if you are into the game

You're right about that but why does it take so long to get back to the game afterwards, if ever. Especially if you play a lot of similar games immediately after one you abruptly stopped playing, until you stop playing those abruptly as well, why does it take so fucking long to return to them.
>>
>>336506817
actually true as fuck
>>
>>336525034
This is what happening to me now
>>
>>336513460
it was starting to happen to me with shivering isles as well, but i pushed through
>>
>>336526838
because you're required to remember everything about the game from when you played it before which is long and a commitment, its easier just to start something new and get instant gratitude
>>
File: 200.gif (756 KB, 449x200) Image search: [Google]
200.gif
756 KB, 449x200
>mfw this happens to me with literally everything in my life

I was once passionate about astronomy and I dropped it. Then I got passionate about music and the same thing happened. I spent like 60 hours on a single song and I just lost interest. It's like in the moment I feel like I can do anything and that it'll be different this time, but it's always the same damn story.

That's why I'm a 24 y/o NEET virgin. The wind in my sail left one day and it decided to leave me forever. ;_;
>>
I did this with New Vegas. Played it almost daily for awhile and then just dropped it. I came back to continue it almost a year later but I'd forgotten most of the story and it feels like such a hassle to restart since I was so far. Maybe one day.
>>
>>336526496
Sometimes I finish it but usually dothe same.
I do this with books, tv shows, etc too not just games.
>>
A lot of times I'll pick up a game that I've heard is good and try to like it, and see how good some of the design is, but drop it 8 hours in when I realize I'm not actually enjoying it. I can never tell when I'm going to like a game and most of the time I don't, it's irritating.
>>
lets see what games come to recent memory:
XCOM 2
Fallout 4
MGS V (I completed the story but nowhere near 100%)
Resident Evil 0
Bloodborne
Grim Dawn
Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor
Witcher 3
Dragons Dogma
Dead State
GTA V
>>
>>336501952
>FFVII
Trying to play blind but too autistic to continue because I don't know who's worth using

>Pokemon Platinum
Didn't want to traverse Mt. Coronet because fuck all the HMs you need in Sinnoh
>>
File: empty shell.jpg (29 KB, 350x302) Image search: [Google]
empty shell.jpg
29 KB, 350x302
>>336527261
I have the same issue, anon. Nothing grips my attention anymore and I'm getting absolutely nothing done except playing goddamn World of Warcraft and posting shit on 4chan.
>>
>>336527247
I guess that makes sense, I keep thinking about modding games especially

Its fun but a damn chore to do, and doing it sucessfully makes you want to do it more and more before you know it you've overwhelmed yourself with mods and you have to fix issues for those mods or just feel like you cant play the game to enjoy all the mods yet because you need a couple more mods to have even more fun and then play with those for an hour or so before stopping and qutting the game abruptly for months.

And when you come back to the game or want to come back you remember how much work it was to get those mods and get them working and you dont want to put in the effort to remember everything and how you modded everything and what you wanted to mod still because its such a chore alongside with remembering what you were even doing with the game back then, all while you just want to play something to distract you from everything else for a little bit without going through the chore of getting back into the game proper...

Okay things are finally starting to make a bit of sense, at least. This thread is golden.
>>
>>336525034
That's... quite accurate
>>
>drop game 2/3s of the way through
>pick it up again like a year later
>who is this
>how do I fucking fight
>where do I go
>what do I do
>reset

and repeat.

And about halfway through your reset run everything comes back to you and you realise just how much playtime rests between you and your previous spot
>>
>>336527653
At least we can find solace in the fact that everything will be reduced to dust one day anyway. I guess the only thing we owe to ourselves is that we should try to make it a fun ride.
>>
File: 1461642868698.jpg (112 KB, 670x960) Image search: [Google]
1461642868698.jpg
112 KB, 670x960
>>336527653
>>336527261
>get decently good at drawing
>used to draw everyday
>thought it as my one practical skill with uses in the real world, but also very fun and relaxing
>put maybe hundreds of hours into drawing per month or two
>last year stop drawing
>still not drawing
>feel no desire to draw
>feel the desire to create but not to draw, but all I spent time learning was how to draw and even that was mediocre
>have lost all my passion for drawing

And sometimes I lose passion for anime and vidya, sometimes for months sometimes half a year or more.

>I feel like I can do anything and that it'll be different this time

I 've realized long ago it never is. Even if you are having the time of your life with a game or anything for that matter you will eventually lose that interest in a flash, and the cycle will always repeat itself.

Neverending cycle, we are cursed.
>>
>>336527857
its a bit more than that though, because as has been mentioned you can get to the end of a game or show and then just stop, its not like it would be effort to go do it within a day or a week, but people including myself just dont for some reason, maybe its something to do with riding the hype of whatever youre doing? or maybe it is linked to depression or not wanting something to end, would love to see an actual scientific paper on this
>>
>>336528532
I do that stopping at the end bit too.

With vidya more than anime though. I was honestly surprised I managed to watch LoGH series to the end, all 110 episodes, despite a few periods when I didnt watch it for half a week, I didnt want to stop there like I did with everything and forced myself to just stop posting on 4chan and resume watching and I'm glad I did.

Finished it and got started on the 2 prequel shows but put those on hold and haven't started them since.

I remember I almost stopped watching Steins Gate too near the end. I guess I can more easily catch myself doing that and forcing myself to finish the show, when it comes to anime. But when it comes to vidya I'll stop playing near the end or at the middle and not return.
>>
>>336528996
the way i manage to get out of it with game is just do what you did with LoGH, even if you cant be fucked, realise youre so far into a game because you enjoyed it and when you start playing again you will enjoy it again you just have to force yourself over the first hurdle because you know itll be worth it, unless you havent played it for months then yeah its just too much effort. i try to apply this knowledge to real life as well, if i really cba to do something even if its fun then i just force the first part and then you realise its worth it and you start having fun, its all in the mind set

is LoGH any good? been meaning to watch it, is it quite serious? is there much action? much comedy? dont really know too much about it
>>
>>336501952
Oh shit. This is me with almost every GTA other than Vice City. Every Zelda game because of frustration. And every Mario game to exist.
>>
>>336529614
The thing about forcing yourself to do something is that most times it feels physically impossible, and like you cant do it no matter what, it feels unnatural to force yourself knowing that in the end you will probably enjoy it but cant be in the mood for a game or anime now so you have to force yourself to be, its very peculiar the resistance your mijd can put up to this, it goes against some self ingrained notion that you must be in the "right mood" for anything I think.

But you're right, most times I force myself I do end up enjoying it, enjoying the game or the show or whatever. But a few times I just cant get into a game like I did before and end up playing with no motivation to continue besides wanting to get to the end out of curiosity or completions sake and not genuine enthrallment in the story and then you dont play too long after feeling that, sometimes I found though giving it another go the next day might make it easier to continue playing and you will get into it more than the previous day its so bizzare.

As for LoGH, Its very good, lot of action, political intrigue, conspiracies, tactics and strategy, the horrors and realities of war and politics, the difference of democratic, and authoritarian societies, sometimes some comedy and relief but at times very tragic and serious. Its slow to start but you will soon quickly become hooked to the characters and setting, everything just blends well, very long investement though, but worth it if you geniunely enjoy it.

I recommend seeing the two movies first that better establish the two main characters and their companions though. I wish I had that LoGH chart on me right now, let me find it.
>>
File: 1435534900360.jpg (382 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
1435534900360.jpg
382 KB, 1920x1440
>>336529614
It's quite serious. There's a little bit of humor but it's more like pic related rather than silly anime hijinks and not a focus. Lots of scenes of people talking and slow episodes, but it builds up to some really dramatic and large-scale space battles.

I love it, personally. Give it a shot.
>>
File: ibvDmTFT0hvkDT.jpg (420 KB, 898x3013) Image search: [Google]
ibvDmTFT0hvkDT.jpg
420 KB, 898x3013
>>336530457
I got you.
>>
File: 1441032973663.jpg (59 KB, 919x720) Image search: [Google]
1441032973663.jpg
59 KB, 919x720
>>336525034
>>
File: ImLvaHD.gif (4 MB, 683x374) Image search: [Google]
ImLvaHD.gif
4 MB, 683x374
>>336530457
>>336530460
>>336530640
cheers guys will check it out
>>
File: HalfMinuteHeroCover.png (213 KB, 250x408) Image search: [Google]
HalfMinuteHeroCover.png
213 KB, 250x408
Have I got the game for you, nigga.
>>
File: 1401283604854.jpg (63 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
1401283604854.jpg
63 KB, 500x628
>>336531236
I tried this but only played 15 seconds before I just lost interest, I'll finish it in a day or so
>>
File: 1294892099677.jpg (51 KB, 256x330) Image search: [Google]
1294892099677.jpg
51 KB, 256x330
>>336501952
Depression is a horrible thing that kills you inside without you even realizing it.
>>
>>336501952
It's me with Zelda games. I usually beat them the first time but if I ever replay them like Wind Waker or Twilight Princess I just kinda... stop at the final dungeon/castle/whatever and just never go back to it despite thinking that I should at some point.

When Bloodborne first launched I beat it and had a ton of fun, then did a second run and got up to the final boss of it on NG+ and just stopped there too.
>>
Are we just afraid of commitment or something? In all its forms.
>>
File: 1462278932534.jpg (97 KB, 799x600) Image search: [Google]
1462278932534.jpg
97 KB, 799x600
Know whats funny?
I do this all the time.
I've only finished a few games fully and I own shelves, like, game store style shelves of games.
I fucking beat Assassins Creed 2 100%.
Why.
>>
File: 1296008122076.jpg (48 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1296008122076.jpg
48 KB, 600x600
I had an epiphany just now while eating Honey nut cheerios out of a cup.

Because I ate so much I start to feel sick of it in my stomache, perhaps this is the same thing as too much vidya, and one becomes sick of it, despite enjoying and craving it before?

Food analogies really are the most best.
>>
>>336514872
it's a good thing you stopped there in deus ex, anon
>>
File: 2015-04-19_00012.jpg (264 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-19_00012.jpg
264 KB, 1920x1080
>>336535924
w-why?

>mfw I last played in fucking April last year

fuck
>>
Happened to me with Fallout:NV, after delivering the chip
>>
>>336537385
Fallout 4 after ... fuck I forgot
>>
>>336536331
>preordered the game
>played for 7 hours
>haven't touched it since
Fuck
>>
File: 2015-04-19_00003.jpg (353 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-19_00003.jpg
353 KB, 1920x1080
>>336539213
Its a good game and I had fun with it.

But I have no desire to play it now.

Going through my screenshots though kinda makes me want to return to it though, almost.

Maybe thats why I take so much screenshots when gaming...
>>
>>336501952
ADHD and/or a lack of discipline. If you want shit to actually be rewarding, sometimes you've gotta put in work. To be fair most games cock up the endgame
>>
>>336502025
FF13 was shit. I stayed 40 hours in because the black dude was interesting. I eventually lost interst.
>>
>Game has a massive amount of content
>Chewing through the post game content that never seems to end
>More games come out
>Shit I wanna play these, I'll come back and keep going through this game later
>Month or two later

>Do a single mission and close the game back up.

It's still fun, that mission was still enjoyable just ehh.
>>
>>336501952
The honeymoon phase is a real thing. Marriages go through this a lot.
>>
>>336541168
>videogames are like marriage now

jesus christ anon maybe you should stop playing them so much, this is worse than food analogies
>>
>>336501952
test
>>
After 18 years I finally finished Link's Awakening this week

This is now the only Zelda game I have ever completed
>>
>>336501952
>Rabi Ribi
Right before the final boss too.
I got spoiled though so that might be the reason.
>>
File: 1462382302599.png (1 MB, 948x1044) Image search: [Google]
1462382302599.png
1 MB, 948x1044
>>336501952
Persona 3

>start new playthrough months later
>can't get back into it, just get bored of the gameplay
fucking tartarus
>>
>>336502919
Same, been trying to beat OoT for about 10 years now and for some reason I keep stopping at around water/shadow/spirit temple
>>
>>336531236
Ironic since I loved the first one, was hyped as fuck for the second one and when I got the second coming I never finished it. I'm sure i'm like 10 quests from finishing it too.
>>
I took this to extremes when I was a kid. For a couple of years I'd download +1000 of roms for various consoles, many of which I played about 10-60 minutes.

The only game I remember beating during this period was Aria of Sorrow.
Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.