[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we fix magic in Dark Souls 3?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 21
File: 1449128691339.jpg (145 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1449128691339.jpg
145 KB, 1280x800
How do we fix magic in Dark Souls 3?
>>
Make it stronger I guess.

Anyway, I need some help. So the Pyromancer flame has C scaling in int and fai. Would it be better to level int and faith equally, or would I be better off leveling one to level 40 or so and leaving the other stat alone?
>>
>>336405190
40/40 is the cap.

Most spells have requirements that are x/x so leveling equally makes sense.
>>
>>336405298
Thanks, that's what I'll do then.
>>
>Miracle
Buff the nukes. It's only viable for its support spells which nobody will get deep for.
>Sorcery
Lower cast times. The game got faster yet spell casts stayed the same. It makes no fucking sense.
>pyromancy
It's fine.

Miracles and Sorceries need their scrolls and spell locations reworked. They aren't viable until late game because that's where all the decent spells are.
>>
File: 1462196845625.jpg (35 KB, 390x394) Image search: [Google]
1462196845625.jpg
35 KB, 390x394
I donno, upping the damage wouldn't really do anything because the stuff is so damn easy to dodge. making it hit harder wouldn't change the fact that the person your fighting is just dodge rolling and hitting you in between casts still.
>>
Can someone explain to me why I need 60 faith for miracles? Doesn't this shit hit a diminishing return at one point?

Incidentally, does anyone happen to know when you start getting diminishing returns on the other stats?
>>
Make Blessed Infusion not complete shit.
>>
>>336405790
I think pretty much everything soft caps at 40.

You need 60faith because your spears hit like wet noodles so you need all the juice you can reasonably get.
>>
File: bastard.jpg (32 KB, 146x177) Image search: [Google]
bastard.jpg
32 KB, 146x177
I don't know personally, but they need to do something, I did a Caestus playthrough without too much issue but dropped my Sorc playthrough at Sullivahn. It is just borderline useless
>>
The only way to make it not worthless is by decreasing the casting time, but even that wouldn't be enough since it's still so damn easy to dodge.
>>
>>336404950
Turning Poise on for starters.
>>
>>336405790
While weapons get better returns between 30-40, magic damage gets its best returns between 40-60. Its FROMs way of balancing out the havelmage problem from the last souls game.
>>
>started a magic playthrough yesterday
>just killed crystal stage
>still feels fucking useless

At what point does my magic build start being worth investing the time for, because thus far there has been absolutely no reason for me to be doing it. Each time I cast spells I just think how much more effective it would be to run up and hit people with my weapon instead.
>>
>>336406235
>nerfing straight swords and rapiers like that

NO SIR
>>
POST YOUR DLC WANTS

I WANT AN AREA TYPE THING LIKE IN THE FIRST 2 GAMES, BUT WHERE YOU CAN QUEUE UP WITH 3 OTHER PEOPLE AND THEN GO INTO A 4V4 FIGHT ALL AT ONCE
>>
>>336406342
Just before twin princes you might feel worth a shit.
>>
>>336406436
>Thinking poise nerfs rapiers.

It gives them purpose.
>>
>remove steady chant
>give each spell tool a unique WA
>double cast
>arced projectile
>increased projectile speed
>slow projectile, intense homing

I don't know give it some fucking variety.
>>
File: 1455488164657.gif (912 KB, 240x176) Image search: [Google]
1455488164657.gif
912 KB, 240x176
>>336406529
Goddamnit. Finished my first playthrough with a dex build using Uchigatana and I wanted something different but DS3 feels so limited in its build/weapon options, might just go back and play 1 again.
>>
File: 1449887307816.jpg (17 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
1449887307816.jpg
17 KB, 425x282
>be pyromancer build
>40/40 fireballs hit hard and are fairly fast
>equip Izalith staff and all sourcery rings/dark clutch
>equip dark sorceries
>deep soul does 200 damage
>affinity does 600 damage
>dark edge does 900 damage but is slow as fuck and FP intensive

What a fucking joke.
>>
>>336406883
>dark bead: the game

no thx
>>
File: tumblr_nvhdw3fjyt1t09dnqo1_1280.jpg (722 KB, 1146x703) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nvhdw3fjyt1t09dnqo1_1280.jpg
722 KB, 1146x703
>>336404950

-Have a stat or stats connected to casting time, and possibly have that also increase the speed at which the projectile travels.
-L1 while 2-handing a stave/talisman lets you aim it like a bow. They've pretty much acknowledged in the binoculars description that they know how what players are using it for, might as well make it an official mechanic.
-Can dodge out of a casting animation. Maybe if done too late, you still lose the FP, but it's better than being rooted in place and defenseless.
-More fun and varied spells. Soul Stream is the only one that caught my eye, the others are just predictable retreads of stuff from previous games.
>>
>>336405298
How is 40/40 the cap?
>>
>>336405643
by far simplest and best answer by far. Especially faith.

Aside from a few of the dark spells, the lightning spells are MEANT to be nukes and now they are reduced to melee range attacks that are often not even better than just swinging a raw weapon at the enemy.

Do they seriously not test their games out?
>>
>>336407052
Even though a ton of them were never used in PvP in 2 I have to give dark souls 2 credit for having spell variety. 3 kinda seems to have taken a step backwards with that and just has their core known spells and not much else.
>>
>>336407167
The softcap seems to be 30/30 but people are going 40/40 a lot so I'm assuming that's another cap level.
>>
How many attunement slots does anyone else use for their mage builds? Ive only got three without rings, Im not sure if putting more points in attunement is more important than leveling int/faith.
>>
>>336404950
Maybe let you hold the cast, and fire on release? Like healing miracles. Might throw some people's timing off.
>>
>>336407052
Dexterity is supposed to effect cast time but it's so subtly that it might as well do nothing.

The Sage Ring I'm told gives you a cast buff equivalent to 40 dex.
>>
I really wanna try out a Sorc build just for that giant laser beam spell.
I don't think I'll hit a single one of these in PvP though.
>>
>>336407672
Sage ring is like having near 40 dex. its not as good but its almost there. but on a side note its only really noticeable on the faster spells. the ones that have a long cast time still have a rather long cast time even with the ring or dex.
>>
>>336404950
From forgot to compensate spell casting/movement speed for the increased speed of the game. All they really need to do is make spells track harder and you would see a difference.
>>
>>336407874
That shit takes an eternity to cast. You'll only hit it if you sneak up on someone.
>>
>>336405790
The scaling is bizarre and the incremental increase in AR rating is actually higher in the 50s for some reason. So you have to dump shit tons of points to make it effective.
>>
FROM simply hates magic. They realized it was a mistake and removed it completely in BB (or as much as they could) and it made for a much better game. sadly they caved to the pressure from soulsfags about magic so they gave them a few spells in DS3.

the thing is, I'm completely right on this and every fan of this series knows it.
>>
Across the board

>Miracles / Sorceries / Pyromancies use much less FP per level
>Attunement gives you more FP per level
>Lvl 24 Attunement grands an additional slot
>Damage buff across the boards so people don't need to invest fucking 60 of a stat for it to even do moderate damage
>Have all spells in the game have 1 hit of hyper armor

There, they need to drastically reduce the FP costs, it would be nice if you could actually be a Pyromancer and have Pyromancies be your main attack tool instead of HAVING to have a melee weapon
>>
>>336408026
What about the range and damage?
Is it possible to sneak out a spell with the obscuring ring by rosarias fingers?

It just looks so fucking cool.
>>
Remove it.
Remove Pyromancy as well.
And miracles.
>>
>>336408213
That's all possible if you use the binos to aim.

It hits like a truck. You'll one shot any phantoms you hit.
>>
I haven't been playing a Souls game near release yet, does From actually adress PvP balance issues post release? Do you think they will at least try to improve build variety?
>>
>>336408157
The thing is you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>336407874

It has some nice range, so you can use it in tandem with the obscuring ring, shooting people when they can't see you.

Unfortunately I've never been able to get kills that way. Maybe it's my build/equipment, but it's not enough to kill anyone, just makes them panic and waste a sippy.
>>
>>336408205
Agree about the fp cost
>Cleric by default can only cast heal twice
>Heal is really fucking shit
Don't even get me started on Heal Aid from herald class, literally worthless
>>
>>336408396

I remember they made changes to the Dark Wood Grain ring and some other stuff in DaS1 PvP. They do make some changes to balance, but I think they're aware that the game will never be truly balanced.
>>
>>336408157
As a person who hates magic in from games, you're a fucking deluded retard.
>>
>>336408396
They don't do balancing well.
Buffs to things are always so small its unnoticeable, and they always nerf things so fucking hard they actually aren't worth using anymore
>>
>>336404950
Magic was a mistake
-Miyazaki, 2016
>>
Am I less of a prick if I use Fume Greatsword & Caestus instead of straight swords?
>>
>>336408396
All they ever do is nerf shit which is why magic is probably permanently fucked.
>>
>>336404950
give us Variety and a slight base or scaling buff.

for Sorceries i want some new ones that do things.

>Splitting Soul Arrow

Shoot a Soul Arrow that splits in two directions, making it harder to avoid.

>Soul Barrier

Absorbs 50% of the damage from 2 sources.
IE: you get hit with a Greatsword and take say 200 dmg instead of 400 and then get hit again for another 200 instead of 400. this would be a great a defensive spell and fair to use as you can still die from the damage being dealt to you.

>Dark Dreg Lance

Look deep within and then Lunge forward thrusting out a Dark Lance, piercing through shields.

>Soul Orb

places an Orb on the battlefield, enemies within range have Soul Darts spammed in their direction.
>>
>>336404950
Spells has been broken since Demon's Souls for PvE. There is no fixing it. Just remove it.
>>
>>336408843
>Soul Orb
Why not just allow us to cast that pyro spell that the freaky dudes in the molten lake region have as you traverse through the catacombs down there? It's already programmed into the game apparently.
>>
>>336408157
they didn't want to repeat the dark souls 2 magic experience, where it was downright retarded for a while. hexes were disgusting. they took a step in the other direction. i mean...multiple steps, until they walked off a fucking cliff. it's useless now, but i understand their fear
>>
>>336409235
shit, i forgot about those guys being able to cast that shit. would be nice for Pyro but im speaking mostly for Sorceries. we got nothing but rehashed spells and maybe 2 new ones...
>>
>>336406342
never, upgrade your pyromancy flame and use the superior magic. or spam soul stream
>>
>>336409405
Yea I suppose for sorceries it wouldn't be too hard for DLC to just give it a new look and the same AI, sped up, or stronger.
>>
>>336405439
>>336405298
The cap is 60/60.
>>
>>336409317
this is the thing with devs who balance their games. they see that at one point it was much too strong so they nerf it and nerf it until its useless and then the next game comes along and they were like "remember how strong this was? we better make it a literal Gimp stat/playstyle"

its literally like this for almost every fucking game that needs balancing. the devs don't know fuck all about fine tuning or small tweaks. its all "hmm this spell was almost outperforming this other weak spell, lets fix that by giving it double cast time and lets nerf the damage scaling and slow its projectile down."

fuck Devs.
>>
File: 124e534.webm (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
124e534.webm
3 MB, 800x450
>>
make it cast faster

t. full int first character (used uchi for melee)
>>
>>336404950
>magic

lol git fucking good u big dumdum
>>
>>336406342
Disregard spells and stick to the rapier and other INT Scaling weapons.

Seriously, sorcery is a mistake.
>>
>>336410020
>p-pls buff magic
>>
File: 1354507531924.jpg (121 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1354507531924.jpg
121 KB, 1280x720
So far there are only like three spells I've come across that are somewhat viable in PvP. Homing soulmass as always, magic weapon and all of its upgraded versions as always, and farron sword. everyone sees the stance and assumes its soul greatsword but its a tiny one that you can fire off a bunch rapid fire so no one sees it coming and you can get a hit or two in.

the rest of the sorcery its pretty useless or situation in pvp and the situation rarely presents itself.
>>
>>336410020
this is the only reason i want to do a sorcery run
>>
>>336406342
>At what point does my magic build start being worth investing the time for
What does this mean? When can you four shot and endgame boss with some stupidly overpowered spell?
>>
>>336410309
except you need 45 int to do that and have the time to cast it too. Souls Stream also eats up a chunk of your mana
>>
>>336410309
nigga, thats only soul stream. the only spell thats doing fine but thats also because he's using all the best gear for it just to make it come close to that.
>>
What is the recommended Attunement for a Sorcerer?
Done 3 melee builds and faith (some of the worst shit)
My anus is ready for Sorc
>>
>>336404950
>Crystal Sage uses purple magic which is a variant of the crystal magic created by logan
>they could've added stronger and new spells based on that (and they'd be purple which is cool)
>instead they just add farron dart and farron quicksword

Why
Being a spellcaster feels fucking bad, the only useful spells are the ones that already existed in DaS1. And those 2 spells that are a like a black slow orb serve no purpose, I hate to praise DaS2 but it handled spellcasting way better than this game.
>>
Im enjoying my pyro I think

I have a raw uchi and throw fireballs at people

could be worse. Hopefully SLS100 PVP is a bit more fun
>>
By making it fun like pre-faith nerf DaS2
>>
>>336406792
>give each spell tool a unique WA
F U C K I N G T H I S
This is what I was actually expecting when WA were announced. Instead everything is the same.

Sorcery needs faster cast times, better homing, reduced FP cost. Possibly better scaling so it's worth anything before 60 INT. It has potential to hit like a motherfucker but that's worth nothing if it can't hit shit and is useless before you get the duck crown and magic rings. Miracles need stronger offensive spells and a bit more variety. I was actually hoping lightning storm would be like the dragonslayer greataxe WA in that it struck the target rather than a point blank aoe. Pyromancy is fine, but needs its variety back. Flame serpent, since apparantly black serpent is useless, and lingering flame.

Simple infusion might need stronger fp regen, but that's debatable. It's already op on melee WA users since you only need 1fp for full effectiveness, which means even at lowest reinforcement you can use your WA at full power every few seconds, but for casters it's pretty much useless with how much fp you use per spell and how little you regen back, while the infusion makes the weapon or shield practically useless for damage or stability.
>>
Magic's in a very weird spot because it actually ends up really powerful, but it's a pain to play through the game with and even when powerful is still obnoxious at best to use and boring (everything that's not great heavy soul arrow and crystal soul spear is just useless)

Furthermore crystal magic weapon is quite powerful, especially on a raw weapon, to the point where a sorceror's melee is actually not bad at all, nobody cares because sorcery's magic is basically useless outside of endgame PVE, but if it was strong otherwise this would be a major issue, especially since the dominant weapons all have low stat requirements (straight swords, thrusting swords)

Barring acomplete overhaul of available magic the best option is probably to simply add first person aiming to 2handed staff so you can manually aim more easily as well as make 2hing the staff change your sorcery's point of origin (so you don't hold the staff up and shoot your soul arrow straight over the head of reasonably sized foes) as well as making lock-on more consistent at moderate range

I actually feel the heavy investment in stats required is a good thing considering how strong crystal magic weapon is, if you could become a viable sorceror and still get decent str and/or dex you would see extremely high AR coming out from it and there'd be basically no reason not to pick up Int for CMW
>>
I hate magic users. They are the worst casuals. I hope Miyazaki nerfs your overpowered magic in the next patch, just like in every souls game.
>>
>>336410020

You don't even get that spell till late game and it has as you can see, massive startup.
>>
>>336408425
>>336408573
>>336409317
eh, don't try to argue with me on this. I've been playing these games long before you knew they even existed and I've read JP interviews with FROM and my conclusion is still correct: they don't like magic and don't really want it in their game. All the enemy AI is designed with a melee character in mind.
>>
Was going Pyro for all schools of magic a smart idea? Are there any cool black robes I can wear?
>>
>>336411357
This.

>"Oh my god my magic can't one-shot every boss anymore"
>"Oh my god I can't cheese the whole game with magic, Please buff"

Magicfags are the worst. I doubt any magicfag can beat the game with melee only, they are so used to easy-mode.
>>
>>336411619
If you don't care about the quest line Yuria's black dress is quite nice, can kill her and buy it from the vendor
>>
File: 1462273190936.jpg (159 KB, 840x623) Image search: [Google]
1462273190936.jpg
159 KB, 840x623
>>336410020

Soulstream is incredibly situational.

I've only seen it successfully pulled off in PvP against people in a group fighting who were too dumb to realize the sroc stepped way back to charge it up.

I've killed a few people who kept trying to use it on me. None have killed me using it. Can also just throw a knife at them to itnerrupt them or force them into breaking the charge by dodging.
>>
>>336410020

Obviously using the Sage Ring, otherwise the buildup is agonizingly much longer.
>>
>>336411627

I know this is bait, but you should really try a run with a sorcery build.

Also, losing to magc in PVP is pretty much impossible unless you fuck up badly.
>>
>>336410020
>late game spell
>that cast time even with the cast speed ring
>fp cost
>all magic damage rings, dagger, crown equipped
>literally only enemy that stands still long enough for all damage ticks to hit
now do it in pvp
except the only trick you can do in pvp is cast homing crystal mass, look away from your enemy, hop backwards until in reach, cast crystal soul spear and lock-on half-way through the cast so your spells all fire off at the same time while praying the other player hasn't forgotten how to dodge. After that you literally have nothing.
>>
>>336404950
just make it strong again

the FP system and ashen estus flasks more or less solve the problem of magic spam. the good spells take a ton of FP and the caster is sacrificing health to use more magic
>>
>>336411357

Magic is pretty fucking useless in 3 when it comes down to PvP aside from weapon buffs and self-buffs/heals.

It takes a lot of fucking effort to even nick enemy players with any spells, and most the time isn't worth it because it puts you into a very vulnerable position.
>>
>>336411805
Losing to magic in PvP was pretty much impossible in previous games if you knew what you were doing. So nothing has changed.
>>
Das2 wasn't great, but at least it has some fucking variety outside of "do damage directly to the thing you're locked onto"

Where are my niche spells, from? Lingering flame, fire snake, that giant orb of souls that shat souls in all directions, the lightning discoball, chaos firestorm, chaos firestorm but dark flavored, firestorm but lightning flavored, wog, what about that soul geyser shit that shit damage in a straight line?

Like fuck that was all so interesting when I first saw it, I want my trap and aoe denial spells back, I was so let down when I saw those demon shamans make a loving fireball that shit enemies and I couldn't get a player usable version of it.
>>
https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/4587

Rate my PVP build pls
>>
File: blaze_it.jpg (190 KB, 329x497) Image search: [Google]
blaze_it.jpg
190 KB, 329x497
Make the spells cast faster and reduce their FP cost will go a long way, damage shouldn't be boosted too much if they do this, otherwise they'll just imbalance their own game again.

I've never used magic in a souls game other than buffs or Chameleon for dicking, I think they simply don't consider it a good way or playing their game, but it's there for the sake of flavor.
>>
Wait till the first DLC in September. It is related to Kaathe and Abyss, Resonant Hexes will return surely.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (323 KB, 2306x1032) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
323 KB, 2306x1032
>>
Well, everyone said that Magic was easy mode in DS1 so From just doing the usual of reaching "balance" by nerfing it six feet under.
>>
>>336411475
>I've been playing these games long before you knew they even existed
I don't care, you're deluded.
>>
File: 1378883489302.jpg (357 KB, 1344x1516) Image search: [Google]
1378883489302.jpg
357 KB, 1344x1516
>>336412760
meanwhile
>>
File: tyrone.jpg (51 KB, 620x670) Image search: [Google]
tyrone.jpg
51 KB, 620x670
>>336412881

If fucking ONLY From games had CUHRAZY magick like Dogma does.

>bursting into fucking fire like the human torch and jumping on shit to kill it with your fire
>>
>>336412881
Fuck off Dragon's Dogma faggot.

Can't believe /v/ forced me to buy that shit meme game.
>>
>>336412997
DS2 did have immolation, but it was only good for killing yourself with.
>>336412881
Shame it has no replay value. I'd play the shit out of it if there was anything left to do.
DDO western release fucking when
>>
>>336413224
>DDO western release fucking when

It's shit. Don't bother.
>>
>>336412779
Dark Souls 3 is ez mode in general.
>>
Anyone feels like DaS1 feels less of a favorite since the formula has been overdone and the games just feel like memes at this point?
>>
File: consider the following.jpg (23 KB, 569x428) Image search: [Google]
consider the following.jpg
23 KB, 569x428
>remove magic
>remove shields
>remove greatswords/greataxes/greathammers
>remove bows/crossbows
>remove heavy armor

there, the game is fun now
>>
File: 1456938076647.png (218 KB, 800x590) Image search: [Google]
1456938076647.png
218 KB, 800x590
>>336413409
This sounds familiar.
>>
>>336413452
Shh, he usually says the game sucks since he can't get it, let him be.
>>
File: 1381879308295.jpg (289 KB, 1210x1366) Image search: [Google]
1381879308295.jpg
289 KB, 1210x1366
>>336413112
lol
>>
Reminder that sorcery in DaS2 was great, actually fun to use with a ton of different spells to do mixups with and by far the most well balanced of the series for both PvE and PvP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pne7EBlPFqw

How did we go from this to the shitty ass magic in DaS3?
>>
File: 1247200862395.jpg (11 KB, 251x232) Image search: [Google]
1247200862395.jpg
11 KB, 251x232
>>336413552
>>336413224

>Shame it has no replay value. I'd play the shit out of it if there was anything left to do.

>point of the game is that when you finish the game, you have to stop playing and move on

Dogma was meta as fuck
>>
>>336413697
but then you miss a neat detail by not finishing it on ng+
>>
File: 2543523453245.jpg (479 KB, 1058x1505) Image search: [Google]
2543523453245.jpg
479 KB, 1058x1505
>>336413552
>story in Bloodborne
>>
>>336413807
Wich would be?
>>
File: 666.jpg (71 KB, 520x415) Image search: [Google]
666.jpg
71 KB, 520x415
>>336413807

that's the nail in the coffin to the point

you only get that detail if you're playing offline too
>>
>>336413848
the story in bloodborne is literally loss.
>>
>>336413928
>you only get that detail if you're playing offline too
it's more obvious but you still get it if playing online too. the point being the cycle continues.
>>
>>336405190
For weapon scaling the soft cap is 40/40
For spell scaling the soft cap is 60/60
>>
>>336413552
This is a straight up lie.
>>
>>336413948
loss? you mean lost? explain
>>
>>336413948
>>336414032
Why do I keep seeing people post this? I am missing the pun or hidden meaning.
>>
>>336414059
What the fuck do you mean? what does he mean? fuck
>>
>>336409317
They did a terrible job with magic in this game though, I'm not even referring to the damage output. The overall variety in spells is absolutely pathetic when compared to what 2 brought to the table. None of the new spells are very unique and they had the nerve to actually get rid of hexes altogether when it was such a unique addition.
>>
>2
>introduce hexes
>but they're not even a unique kind of magic, just reskinned sorc/miracles, and don't even have their own catalyst/stat
>3
>fuck up pyromancy by making it scale on stats instead of just the catalyst

1's pyromancy was the best. Pyro was designed to make sl1 runs viable by being the only class who started at sl1 and being based on the only magic type not reliant on a stat. Tying it to TWO stats just makes it boring.
And where the fuck did hexes go? They needed to be developed more, not rolled back into the old types. It really feels like Miyazaki really has a hateboner for ds2
>>
>>336413924
you're the boss
>>
File: acemundo.jpg (23 KB, 297x233) Image search: [Google]
acemundo.jpg
23 KB, 297x233
>>336414028

>he didn't UNDERSTAND
>>
>>336414490
it's not just the boss, it's the implications
>>
>>336411475
>All the enemy AI is designed with a melee character in mind.
Then make characters that can deal with magic. It's not our fault they're so retarded they still haven't made characters that can deal with ranged attacks yet.
Here's a hint: give them shields or let them dodge
>>
>>336413848
this image gives me Cookie Clicker vibes.
>>
>people still think Miyazaki is a good designer
>>
>>336413662
HOLY fuck Dark Souls 2 magic was so good, that awesome tracking on Crystal Soul Spear, magic combos with Homing Soul Arrow.

What the fuck happened with Dark Souls 3 magic? And PvP in general feels so bad compared to Ds2.
>>
>>336404950
You don't. Magic is gay. Dex is gay too.
>>
>>336413518
>only 8 directions
>can't sprint while locked on
>dodge delay

it's the little things
>>
>>336413662
Magic has always been shit.
>>
>>336405298
the cap for faith/int is 60
>>
- Pyromancy now scales off Soul Level (or alternatively, just physical stats), but is weaker compared to other spells (requiring less "wasted" stats). For pure pyromancers, a ring, a pyromancy, a certain pyromancy flame, or whatever could sacrifice your physical stats for increased pyromancy damage.

Thematically, pyromancy is about bring out your inner power. It's cruder than sorceries, requiring less intelligence, and the connection to faith never made sense. Gameplay wise, pyromancy should be what you stick in your build when you don't want points in INT or FTH and the "scales with both INT and FTH" niche should be filled by hexes.

- Sorcery and miracle scaling is fine, but the damage boost per stat should remain constant or even increase in order to make a full caster a distinct build instead of "Melee character with an INT/FAI weapon who sometimes casts spells".

- Hexes should be the most powerful class of magic, but only with appropriate investment. Something like 99 INT sorceries = 99 FAI miracles = 50 INT / 50 FAI hexes.

- Bring back spell charges. Mana costs means people will just spam the most efficient spell.

- Ashen flasks stay, but they are separate from normal flasks. Spells costing HP in a game where you don't know how much HP you'll need before the next bonfire only encourages melee builds. It would also encourage players to use spells and weapon arts in order to utilize the ashen flasks they're finding.

- Dealing damage to enemies restores spell uses (slowly). INT and FAI infusions that deal less damage but restore more spell uses per hit should exist. Default spell uses are lower across the board to accommodate. This means the number of spell uses you have will scale well whether you are exploring an entire area, just fighting a boss, invading, or whatever.

After this, just balance everything.
>>
>>336415742
>Hexes require certain fai/int/sl, but scale off of how hollow you are
ftfy
>>
>>336416073
>but scale off of how hollow you are

>After every boss you have to kill yourself 10 times before playing again.

How about we keep the meme scalings relegated to the special casting tools.
>>
>>336415742
either
>leave the mana bar, but make spells to drastically different things. People will use more expensive spells if they're worth it instead of most spells being the same thing
or
>go back to charges, leave spells as is

also Ashen Estus and self recharging spells seem mutually exclusive. There's no point for one when the other is in the game, especially if you're finding more Ashen throughout the game. Self recharging spells makes more sense with a manabar than it does spell charges, too
>>
>>336416201
Then change it so bosses just give you an Ember
>>
>>336415742
>Bring back spell charges
This so much. The mana bar is horseshit. This was one of the improvements DaS made over DeS that literally nobody missed. Spell charges are an ingenious idea and were improved even further in DaS2. If they wanted to tie a resource to weapon arts, they should've used durability. That's how it worked with some special weapons in previous games and here, durability does literally nothing anyway.

Alternatively, increasing int and faith should reduce the cost of spells to the point where some are eventually free. Then there would be incentive to keep your weaker spells attuned. But nope, just spam soul spear and drink blue estus after every single fight.

>>336416073
I'd prefer something like having your dark bonus increased by faith and int but reduced by physical stats. So sorcery and miracles can complement a melee build, but hexes contradict them and force you to be a glass cannon. Then they can be as overpowered as fuck, if you have to stay at base vigor and get 1-shotted all the time it's a fair compromise.

>>336416201
Does being embered reduce hollowing? I thought it was permanent until you used a purging stone or cured your sigils.
>>
>>336410020
Thing is, they are weak to fire, Great chaos fireball was 1 shotting them without the incredibly long start up time
>>
>>336416353

>Ashen Estus and self recharging spells seem mutually exclusive.

True. If they were both in, Ashen Estus should be in severely limited quantities for when you need spells but there's nothing left to hit (or safe to hit) melee.

> Self recharging spells makes more sense with a manabar than it does spell charges, too

If there was a percentage bar below each spell showing your progress towards a refilled charge and if you could overcharge (refilling spells above starting capacity, up to a point) it wouldn't be very cumbersome.
>>
>>336408263
And weapons.fist fights only
>>
File: 1460308733596.jpg (65 KB, 563x1422) Image search: [Google]
1460308733596.jpg
65 KB, 563x1422
>>336408157
basically you just salty cause you don't like how niggas wanna play the game

also probably a butthurt sonygger
>>
>>336416601
>I'd prefer something like having your dark bonus increased by faith and int but reduced by physical stats. So sorcery and miracles can complement a melee build, but hexes contradict them and force you to be a glass cannon.

I think with appropriate scaling this will be the case anyway. Every point put into INT and FAI is a point not put into VIT, and the game punishing you for leveling (by reducing your spell damage) is a bit wonky.

>Does being embered reduce hollowing? I thought it was permanent until you used a purging stone or cured your sigils.

No it doesn't, I just forgot how they changed in in DS3.
>>
>>336411683
>every single day this faggot dragon gives me stupid fucking look
>>
>>336407218

PvP balance is secondary to PvE balance.
>>
>>336408157

I don't think they hate it, but it's definitely not as much of a priority as melee combat is. This just becomes more true as the series gets more 1v1 duel bosses.
>>
>>336406271
It always bothers me that the way they "balance" issues is to nerf them to the point of oblivion. I have about 35 faith and all I can do that is worth a damn is buff myself. Why can't I use miracles without it having to be my primary focus?
Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.