[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think sequel bait is a good idea? Not cliffhanger, an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: BS_Feb122015_A01.jpg (82 KB, 576x800) Image search: [Google]
BS_Feb122015_A01.jpg
82 KB, 576x800
Do you think sequel bait is a good idea?

Not cliffhanger, an actual sequel bait.
>>
>>336356627
Only if the game is established as a duology/trilogy beforehand, and even then I imagine there are better literary techniques that can be used to deliver a satisfying conclusion while still leading into a future game. I suppose there's nothing wrong with setting up a hook if the original story is wrapped up nicely (Bulletstorm comes to mind), but Xenoblade Chronicles X for example winds up dissapointing and lackluster if you're unaware that there's going to be future installments.
>>
>>336356627
BD had self contained story.
The sequel bait is the secret ending so that's fine.
>>
>>336359689
It's a fucking shame. BS could have been great, had they gone with the orginal ideas for the sequel developed by the original team. Instead we got the worst written JRPG in recent history.
>>
>>336359951
The sequel had 1/4 of the already meager budget of the first game and wasn't even made by the same studio, what did you expect?
It was bound to be shit.
>>
Don't all the Kingdom Hearts game have sequel bait endings if you beat the game on Proud mode?
>>
I get enjoying a game/series and wanting more of the same experience, but people need to learn to enjoy what they had and leave it at that. Games like Ghost Trick and TWEWY have people crying for sequels, but those were both good, complete packages with no real need to continue on (and if they did it'd just have new characters, so there's half the original appeal gone).

I liked BD, was pleasantly pleased when I found out they were making Second, but fuck that sequel setup. WE just don't need a third one.

Unless they bring REVO back, then that's ok.
>>
>>336360094
I didn't know about the budget. But why did Square do this? The first game was a critically acclaimed surprise hit. Why didn't they try to double down and actually push the new IP with an even better sequel?
>>
>>336360308

Because Square are idiots, it's been well established at this point.
>>
>>336360246
>was pleasantly pleased when I found out they were making Second

The sequel could have had a pretty interesting setting had they realized the orginal plan.

It would have been set 200+ years in the furture, so that there would have been a lot of new assets and probably no reused asterisk holders, well aside from the vampire, maybe.
>>
>>336360308
The first game already had its budget lowered during development, hence why the second half was so half assed.
And they decided to lower the budget because the 1st game didn't sell blockbuster amounts of copies like they expected it to.
>>
>>336360308
It's pretty obvious Square Enix hates anything that's not Final Fantasy.
>>
>>336361167
>And they decided to lower the budget because the 1st game didn't sell blockbuster amounts of copies like they expected it to.

But it did sell more than they had expected in the West, didn't it?
>>
>>336361243
Still not enough in their eyes to give it a bigger budget.
>>
>>336360621
Didn't they end up shoving that idea onto Praying Brage or whatever that browser game is called? That could have been neat.
>>
Setsuna suffers from the same low budget syndrome as BD and BS btw.
>>
>>336359951
>worst written jrpg
>implying
>>
>>336361167
>>336361243
It sell a million, how many did they think it will sell?

Also mostly the sales comes from west, the budget is lowered probably because the japs don't really like it. I mean they even get the meme writer that write Steins;gate to write the time travel aspect. (and two other more writer, with the original writer is nowhere to be seen. No wonder the story is clusterfuck)

Or maybe they're saving the budget for the third game.
>>
>>336361508
>It sell a million, how many did they think it will sell?
The Final Fantasy amount.
>>
BD was always intended to be 1 game only by the original devs.
For fucks sake it was orignally called just "Bravely Default" and didn't even have the sequel bait ending.
That was only added a year later in the Flying Fairy re-release with some new content and rebalancing after Bravely Second went into development by the new B-Team.

You can safely pretend the sequels are non-canon and don't exist since they were never intended to exist by the original devs.
>>
Anyone got a link about all this 1/4 budget, original devs, etc. talk because I am not researched into this shit at all.
>>
>>336361807
Tiz don't go dying in the original?
>>
theres just something about BS im not enjoying as much as the first
not that BD's plot was anything special but something really endeared me to the characters, and the one BS party member i should like (edea, she was my favorite) has been written to be 10000% more obnoxious
>>
>>336361916
The original ending happened as is, that wasn't changed.
It just didn't have that shitty secret ending with Magnolia sequel bait.
>>
>>336361932
oh wait, i was able to put my finger on one thing
did they have to make yew a fucking anime harem protagonist?? "generic brown haired dude who draws all the girls to him for no particular reason,yet can't handle their flirting" is something i go out of my way to avoid, i thought i was safe here
>>
>>336361807
Correction: the original version was subtitled Flying Fairy, while the rerelease was For the Sequel.
>>
>>336361807
>rebalancing
So dumb. Games still broke as fuck but costumes have no stats. yay?
>>
It´s even more sad that the whole BS teaser for Tiz was made for a darkest setting (even more with the whole speculation about "-end layer" that could be "Friend or Fiend".

SE always hate something that isn´t FF, or KH since those two are they sluts, when they got BD made to be friendly but the whole shit happening is portrait in the story while reading the Diary of D.

>They kill fairy´s just for fashion
>DeRosa even had a sex dungeon
>>
File: 12prime_01.gif (32 KB, 365x422) Image search: [Google]
12prime_01.gif
32 KB, 365x422
Is there such thing as good fairies in video games?
>>
>>336361932
>theres just something about BS im not enjoying as much as the first

For me it is the fact that the writing somehow is even far, far worse than in the first game (Iwouldn't have thought that this would be possible), the worse music, the reuse of assets and the sidequests that don'T have anything to do with the story at all. Also, this game should take place in the universe in which most of the asterisk holders died; so they should have introduced new ones even for the old jobs.
>>
>>336362932
>"Friend or Fiend"
What is this bullshit?
Everyone speculated it was gonna be Friend Slayer
>>
>>336362932
200 years after Tiz dying is the end of the world.

Diamurd or whatever that invinsible Ba'al's called is supposedly get sent to the end of times, but it appear it only get to 200 years to the future.
>>
File: friday.jpg (13 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
friday.jpg
13 KB, 240x240
>>336362970
Hello, newfriend.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.