[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So here's an issue I'm having with Witcher 3: The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: witcher3cover.jpg (483 KB, 1043x1343) Image search: [Google]
witcher3cover.jpg
483 KB, 1043x1343
So here's an issue I'm having with Witcher 3:

The main story line quests give the impression that TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE to find and rescue Ciri. So in order to play according to what I think the character of Geralt would do, I feel as if I'm supposed to ignore all the sidequests and rush to Ciri's rescue.

But if I finish the main storyline before I do any side quests I risk being way too powerful when I do them - making both the actions and possible loot lame and uninteresting.

Up til now I've been taking regular pauses from the main story line to finish off all the appropriate (level wise) side quests I've received.

But I always feel like I'm betraying the character motivation of Geralt while doing so. As if he didn't really care about Ciri...

Anyone else have any thoughts about this? Or suggestions on how to experience the game differently?
>>
Git gud
>>
>>336353937
Very helpful. Thanks for the bump I guess...
>>
>>336353759
wew lad
>>
>>336353357
It's been through my head m8.
Thing is with such huge RPG is they give you really vague time limits. The way characters talk don't give you clean deadlines or something.
>Gotta find Ciri
We may literally talk days/weeks/months m8. For the best too.

I really look forward to see how CDPR will resolve Geralt's occurrence in Toussaint having mission to find Ciri and all.
>>
>>336353357
Geralt might need money to continue along the path?
>>
>>336353357
put the hardness settings up, seriously it isnt easy on the upper tier setting
>>
>>336353357
no, I got a similar feeling, especially once I got further into the game and the tension in the story built more and more.

still, it's was a mild knit pick of mine
>>
>>336353357
This is what made the game terrible. Who gives a fuck about all that shit when you need to find Ciri? It's so important because she's in danger and the Hunt is after her, let's kill some rats. I don't understand how people praise this game: the combat is terrible and the story is a mess.
>>
>>336353357

Unfortunately the expectation of an interesting, compelling storyline is that "side quests" will often feel life just that: not primary content.

But, well, it's a video game. It's worth keeping in mind that "betraying a characters motivations" is a sign that you care about the character, the world, and the story - that's not a terrible thing either.

I like to phrase it in my head that "the side quests are actually things that happen while running down leads on the next main quest line"

That was the character has spent their time on a meaningful pursuit.

It's all about context.
>>
>>336354627
"kill some rats" yep bout says how much you know about the game then
>>
Most open world games do this.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (72 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
72 KB, 1280x720
>>336354627
>>336354543
Geralt need shekels to eat and sleep.
Most witchers do contracts fulltime and still are terrible bums.
Side missions is a way of portraying what he actually does for a living. Ciri is personal thing.
>>
Holy fuck I didn't expect all of you to be mentally retarded
>>
>>336354027
>...
Get out. Now.
>>
Geralt has been searching for Ciri for a long time, there is no urgency. He decides to take two weeks riding to Kaer Moren with Uma instead of taking a portal.
>>
>>336354403
But I don't though. I have around 8k crowns, lots of excellent gear, 2 levels above the next storyline quest, and I'm 40 seconds away on horseback...
>>
>>336355084
>Most witchers do contracts fulltime and still are terrible bums
Shame this never happens in game. Geralt is one of the richest people in the world by the end of the game, even asking for a fortune as a reward from Gaunter only gives you a fraction of the money you already have.
>>
Most of these medevil fantasy type games should feel like longer quests due to setting impling lots of horse riding and covering lots of epic landscape. Where the quest could take month or years.
>>
>>336353357
Stop being autistic and play the video game.
>>
>>336353357
>The main story line quests give the impression that TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE to find and rescue Ciri. So in order to play according to what I think the character of Geralt would do, I feel as if I'm supposed to ignore all the sidequests and rush to Ciri's rescue.
Skyrim has the same problem with its pacing, it sorta makes you feel that you need to go do the next part of the main story immediately
>>
File: g4eerg.jpg (123 KB, 721x353) Image search: [Google]
g4eerg.jpg
123 KB, 721x353
>>336355287
>/v/ grammar spastics playing thread police

wew laddie, you sure told him.

bet he's learned his lesson
>>
>>336356453
'...' is grammatically acceptable, but is frowned upon here on /v/. How fucking new are you, kid?
>>
>>336354627
Literally same shit that was happening in books
>>
>>336353357
That's every open world videogame ever, bruh.

If you can't abstract yourself from that factor you should play more linear games.
>>
>>336356421

Not really. OPs issue is that Geralt is an established character and that dicking around while Ciri could be real danger goes against his character.

Meanwhile in Skyrim you can have your character not give a flying fuck about Alduin, never talk to the folks in Riverwood, which means you don't ever go to Whiterun about the dragon problem, and then proceed to play the game your way. And it will never conflict with your character.

My cousin has a Skyrim character who's level 53 and hasn't even talked to the fuckhats in Riverwood. Because his character saw Alduin, said "fuck that noise", became Thane of every hold, became master of the Thieves Guild, kicked some vampire ass, and built his own dream house.
>>
it's a video game

suspend your disbelief for a few hundred hours
>>
Passage of time, especially in an RPG, is a hard thing to nail down.

Most games don't attempt it at all and most of the ones that try do it in a "you now have 5 minutes to defuse the bomb". But even then the passage of time doesn't make sense because right before you're given that objective you can putz around indefinitely and the bomb will never go off.

It's worse for RPGs because RPGs are expected to have side content which often fucks with the perception of time and the significance, or lack there of, it has on the story. (As OP pointed out)

>>336359423
Skyrim and the Witcher are apples and oranges. One is heavily story driven, where the path(s) are set and you must simply walk them. The other is lightly story driven, where that path(s) are not so defined.

The freedom you have in Skyrim comes at the cost of story telling.

It's the same reason why people got upset over Fallout 4 regarding the plot with you and your family. By giving the game more story they stripped more freedom away from the player.
>>
>>336353357
That's a common problem is modern open world games. Almost every Bethesda game has it to some degree (I have to find my son! Better build this guy a house first though). The Witcher isn't quite a bad as Fallout 4, but it has a lot of the same flaws.
>>
>>336353357
This has been a problem in so many RPGs.
>>
Vidya are written by the bottom of the barrel writers, so this should be of no surprise that there's always a disconnect between the story and the gameplay.
>>
>>336359423
Nail on the head
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.