[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the most memorable and atmospheric boss in any soulsborne
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 13
File: gwyn lord of cinder.jpg (398 KB, 1390x787) Image search: [Google]
gwyn lord of cinder.jpg
398 KB, 1390x787
Is this the most memorable and atmospheric boss in any soulsborne game?
>>
>>336338419
>Parry

So memoriable

Hes literally the worst End game boss (Ill also accept Nashandra)

Allant > Soul of Cinder > Gerhmahn > Nashandra = Gwyn
>>
>>336338419
Gwyn was cool, but Allant and Soul of Cinder are better.
>>
>>336338557
>implying you knew about how easy he was to parry on your first run
fuck off memelord.
>>
File: 1449119062448.jpg (1 MB, 1442x1614) Image search: [Google]
1449119062448.jpg
1 MB, 1442x1614
nameless king was probably my favorite boss
best boss atmosphere wise was the pontiff though.
>walk into this big church
>he's walking up to me
>swords lighting up different colors
>rolling all around his cathedral, everything breaking and flying around
>wrecks my shit s few times
>finally get him down to half health
>FUCKING WINGS
>>
>>336338557
>being so obssessed with finishing you spoiled yourself with parrying
Gwyn without parrying is almost as good as Artorias.
>>
>>336338687
>implying I was a faggot casul who didnt parry
>>
File: King_Allant_wall.jpg (60 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
King_Allant_wall.jpg
60 KB, 1280x720
>>336338419
Allant is miles better
>>
File: 1428142247420.jpg (285 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1428142247420.jpg
285 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>336338739
>use a skill to 2shot the last boss
>call others casuals
>>
>>336338557
>gehrman
lol, the moon presence is the final boss, you didnt get the true ending

also allant is worse than gwyn because he has literally one short range attack, he's a worthless mutant who poses no harm to anybody

if you meant false king allant, that's not a final boss, but is a fantastic fight
>>
>>336338759
Holy shit I loved when that fucker would scream as he charged at you.
Made me shit myself every time.
>>
>>336338838
>False King Allant isn't the final boss
By what logic? You consider the fucking blob Allant fight to be the final challenge? Are you a retard?
>>
>>336338739
>every shitposter like you on /v/ pretends they parried perfectly their whole first playthrough but nobody actually did.
just shut up about it.
Yes Gwyn is way easier on repeat plays when you know how to beat him. But 99% of people didn't know that the first time through.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (65 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
65 KB, 1280x720
My favourite boss, and one of my favourite characters, in the entire super franchise.
>>
>inb4 that one butthurt autist who hates the term 'soulsborne'
>>
>>336338725
>you spoiled yourself by using a mechanic in the game

Maybe they shouldnt have made him so easy to parry...or unparriable like Soul of Cinder.
>>
>>336338932
it's.... the last fight in the game, so yes, you absolute fucking mental midget

thats like saying gwyn isnt the final boss of dark souls, it's artorias or manus instead cause they were tougher!

just because you don't like the quality of the last fight doesn't mean it somehow isn't the last fight anymore.
>>
The whole series has pretty great last bosses, except maybe Dark Souls 2.

Gwyn and Old King Allant/Allant are tied for me. Gwyn's music gave me chills. I was expecting some crazy orchestral score and you just get a really melancholy piano piece.
>>
>>336338934
>Dark souls was his first game

Parrying was a mechanic in demon souls too.
Not everyone went into Dark Souls some uneducated new player.
>>
>>336338725
He's really not, Hollow Gwyn feels like a stronger regular Hollow, he has a third of the moves as his Soul in 3. The only reason he's even a challenge is because he's hyper aggressive which by now everyone can easily handle.

Gherman>Soul of Cinder=Allant>Gwyn>Nashandra
>>
File: 19988.jpg (64 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
19988.jpg
64 KB, 750x750
TONIGHT
>>
>>336339027
The fight plays out in an infinitely better and more challenging, less anticlimactic way if you don't parry. I think you can parry him as a concession for expediting repeat playthroughs because most people are unlikely to find out about the parry strategy beforehand.

Unfortunately though it's far too easy to beat him with parry spam, it's just an unfortunate design oversight of the boss.
>>
>>336339063
He's not a boss. He's basically a cutscene.
>>
Gehrman>Gwyn>Soul of Cinder>False King>Nashandra
>>
Prolly dem niggas Maiden Astrea and dat bitch ass Garl Vinland to be quite honest family.
>>
I don't like Soul of Cinder much. It's neat that he swaps between weapons to represent the different huge cities of the game, like a saber for Carthus and a staff for Vinheim, but he's just boring. You roll and you stab and that's it.

And fluff wise he's the combined entity of all who have linked the flame in the past. An Ermac sort of guy. That's boring. We're just fighting some bland humanoid enemy with basic attacks.

I sure hope the game doesn't have the true final boss locked away on NG+5 or something.
>>
File: 054.png (114 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
054.png
114 KB, 300x300
>>336338759
>tfw if you don't kill the dragon first by shooting 300 arrows into his head he will constantly make the screen shake during the fight because biorr takes years to die
>>
Why is everybody talking about Gehrman like he's the final boss again?
>>
I think Gehrman would win in a fight with all the final bosses, since he's the only one who can force a parry.
>>
>>336339213
Gehrman joins the cunt
>>
>>336339332
Because "boss" carries a connotation of difficulty.
>>
>>336339306
well you could Biorr instead
>>
>>336338419
depends what you mean

just purely memorable for mechanics etc. is s&o
try argue there is a more iconic soulsborne fight

most memorable because of atmosphere etc. is astraea
>>
>>336338983
joosten?
>>
>>336339306
Those dragons were the worst thing ever.
>>
>>336339297
This, the Soul of Cinder fight is fucking DS2 levels of boring and going through the motions. Literally zero unique moves, the piano riff when he does his big combo is cool but that's about it (also getting caught the wrong way by that shit is infuriating)
>>
>>336339258
He's a boss. Not all bosses have to be hard.

>Fool's Idol
>Dragon God
>Adjudicator
>Maiden Astraea
>Pinwheel
>Moonlight Butterfly
>Congregation & Prowling Magus
>Witch of Hemlock
>Deacons of the Deep
>>
>>336339306
That fucking dragon at the end of Boletaria is my biggest problem with Demon's Souls.

I got the timing down now to run past him but what a pain in the dick.
>>
>>336339394
I don't feel like Gehrman is significantly harder than Moon Presence especially considering you can visceral him. Wet Nurse is probably harder than both and you can technically fight it as the final boss as well.
>>
I just noticed that even though I beat Dark Souls about 5 or 6 times, I have never actually fought the moonlight butterfly. I couldn't even tell you where it is.

Slightly off-topic, but there. I also never beat Quelaag without cheesing here (summoning Mildred, jumping up to that platform she can't reach) except once where I got her on my first try, but was so piss horse drunk that I fell asleep afterwards while wondering around Blight Town not being able to find a way back up. I couldn't remember much of the fight when waking up, only that I beat her first try.
>>
>>336339258
let's not forget you can go kill allant after a minimum of 6 other bosses:

2-1 through 2-3 to open the archdemon fog gates, that's 3 bosses
1-1 through 1-3 is 3 more, so your 7th boss can be allant without even touching worlds 3, 4, or 5. he's nowhere near the final boss, you can have him easily be a midgame boss. he is just a great fight.
>>
>>336339520
It's really a shame how so many interesting, atmospheric, and more story-focused bosses catch shit from everyone because they aren't the hardest thing in the game. People see a boss health bar and think it has to be like O&S or it's shit, doesn't help that the elitist retards who only play these games because they're supposedly some fucking badge of honor are now a substantial majority
>>
>>336339520
He's literally designed not to be a challenge. He's practically helpless. He has one attack which is incredibly slow, and he can only crawl.
If you want to argue semantics, then he is a boss but not a fucking boss fight. For fucks sake.
>>
Ludwig
>>
File: 0652714828522.png (46 KB, 635x1544) Image search: [Google]
0652714828522.png
46 KB, 635x1544
>>336339958
If you're gonna use a tripcode, then produce meaningful original content like the tripfags of the original 4chan years, like 3 Angled Blue, pic related.

Filtered!
>>
>>336339079
This. The way the music starts and Gwyn begins slowly walking towards you...he's tired, so very tired and he's ready to finally rest, but he knows he must still fight one last time.
>>
>>336339213
I'M GONNA HAVE MYSELF A REAL GOOD TIME
>>
Orphan of Kos
>That intro
>That sad music
>The fact that he can and will smack the everliving shit out of you
>>
>>336339227
Thats like sayong the fight is a lot more intense and rewarding if you only use your fists.
>>
>implying
Nigga, how can any boss even compete?
>>
>>336338838
Moon presence is a secret boss. You can go to NG+ without ever seeing it.

Thats like sayin Aldia is Dark souls 2s final boss
>>
>>336340156

>!

>>>/lgbt/
>>
File: LOLvegeta.png (332 KB, 633x468) Image search: [Google]
LOLvegeta.png
332 KB, 633x468
>>336340704
>Filtered post: Anonymous (ID: G9hM0aZp)
i love this fucking script, apparently you have been a retard before.
>>
Lamest, least memorable, uncool boss fights in Soulsborne. Go

>Curse-Rotted Greatwood
>Ancient Wyvern
>Yhorm (storm ruler only works on him, not on any of the other giants in the game)
>Grundyr (I really thought that dark bloodborne shit would be a whole lot more prevalent in DS 3, but it was fucking nothing)

>Moonlight Butterfly
>Iron Giant at Sen's Fortress
>>
>>336338557

>Allant.
>Cast firestorm.
>He dies in one hit.

Awful really.
>>
>>336339442
Juiced In
>>
>>336341238
>casting firestorm on allant
and then you get dashed and soulsucked
>>
>>336338557
nashandra is the worst. unlike most of /v/ i like most of dark souls 2 , but that final boss was just a huge disappointment. no other final boss in the series can be cheesed with throwing knives. what a shamefur display
>>
>>336338557
>Allant

I think it's retarded that people count False King as the real final boss just because the actual one is some ebin story non-boss. You might as well count the last bosses of any of the worlds as the final then, and if that's the case why should we count Gwyn/Nashandra/Soul of Cinder?
>>
>>336341238
Just because you can oneshot kill bosses with magic when overleveled doesn't mean that's how everyone plays the game
>>
>>336341187
>Yhorm
>Cool as fuck Giant
>Great theme
>Relentlessly attacking you in fiery explosions
>Not even you can truly defeat him, you have to steal a weapon he fucking giften humans

He's easy but saying he's least memorable is absurd.
>>
>>336341578
>Not even you can truly defeat him, you have to steal a weapon he fucking giften humans
scrub detected
>>
>>336339213

SOME FAGGOT WHO'S EASY TO KILL IS GOING TO DESCEND FROM THE MOON AND BE THE FINAL BOSS INSTEAD
>>
>>336341420
>Reach the end of the game
>SURPRISE SKELLINGTON
>She... has curse robs around, they deal a bit of damage
>If you stay behind her she's inpotent
>"W-watch me... S-senpai... I'm shooting a lazer!"
Holy shit. Her sister in DLC1 wasn't exactly better.

>>336341642
>Scrub detected
I am not saying you can't kill him without storm ruler, but it's obviously implied you are not supposed to. But if you feel like nibbling at his ankles for 20 minutes, feel free, I won't stop you.
In any case, he's cool.
>>
File: Gwyn.jpg (1 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
Gwyn.jpg
1 MB, 3840x2160
>>336338419
His eyes were so empty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLBybw-IJ5U
>>
>>336341704
>Holy shit. Her sister in DLC1 wasn't exactly better.

Elana put up a hell of a lot more fight than Nashandra did. There's a reason people consider Nashy the worst final boss fight in the series. She makes Moon Presence look like a masterful fight by comparison.
>>
File: dark-souls-3.jpg (4 MB, 2768x1557) Image search: [Google]
dark-souls-3.jpg
4 MB, 2768x1557
>Soul of Cinder

My favorite fight in all the souls/borne series. I dunno, it must struck a chord with me. At first, it was Gehrman,but damn this fight was
>>
>>336341873
>Elana put up a hell of a lot more fight than Nashandra did
Not Her, she's basically Nashandra, only with an added teleport. The only thing in that fight that was putting up a fight was Velstadt.

I like how the fact they recycled fucking Velstadt in the dlc is never accounted for when people say "Oh, Dark Souls II was shit but MAN those dlcs were GOOD!"
>>
>>336338419
It's not Maiden Astrea
>>
>>336338419
Father G
>>
>>336341963
Dark Souls 3, although clearly rushed, is Miyazaki trying to redo what he did badly in the past. In interviews, he always spoke about how bosses like Pinwheel and Gwyn weren't as he envisioned them. How bed of chaos was supposed to be a moving tree and so on.

And what do we get in DS3?
A moving tree boss.
Pinwheel, done well.
Congregation, done well.
Gwyn, done immensely better.

And so on. It's easy to bitch how derivative DS3 is, but it's an amazing swan song. At this point, I'm burned out on the series, I've played them nonstop for more than 6 years. But this was amazing fanservice for me, and will not call it pandering because it's good fanservice, unlike Dark Souls II's half assed attempts.
>>
>>336341578
He's a gimmick, like Bed of Chaos only without any trickery or cool factor. He's just s giant guy with a giant weapon, except that there's an obvious item in the room that just so happens to kill him easily. The real challenge of the fight is accessing your inventory to read it and equip it while not dying. Except that only lasts for the first go because then you have the sword and it's just a joke.

Also he's not at the end of an area. You reach the profaned capital and it's just a ladder and a few drops. Then there's the boss. There's almost no setup for him.
>>
>>336341983

Because the level design itself and most of the rest of the DLC bosses were great. Sinh, Fume Knight, Alonne, and Burnt Ivory King were great fights Blue Smelter Demon was fun too, but a pain in the ass to get to and basically just a recycle too. The only really shitty ones were gank squad and lmao2cat.
>>
>>336338419
Gwyn is not the strongest by far but the whole game builds up to the fight so much that it still delivered. Combined with the music it gives the whole event a different spin if you actually don't have a hard time defeating him. He almost feels pathetic in his hollow form.

Although it is known that Miyazaki intended for gwyn to pose a challenge but be beatable with any fighting style.
>>
>>336342169
>pinwheel, done well
What, the Crystal Sage? It's okay I guess. Nothing really special about it.

I don't get why all the crystals appear each time he fades out. They don't do anything.
>>
>>336342338
breaking the crystals reduces the number of fake adds that spawn
>>
>>336341578
I didn't even know you could take the weapon before killing him.
I fought him with Siegward. Awsome fight.
>>
File: 1461541949620.gif (92 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1461541949620.gif
92 KB, 500x281
>>336339836
>If you want to argue semantics, then he is a boss but not a fucking boss fight. For fucks sake.
>he is a boss
>not a fucking boss fight
>boss
>not boss fight
>>
Lady Maria is probably my favorite fight, visually. Music during that fight is amazing as well.
>>
>>336342503
I felt so sad about Zeegvurd, having to kill his old friend like that. And Yhorm too, damn this game. I felt a bit watery eyed when I found Sirris' corpse on the grave, I wanted to give her a burial. Why and how did she die? Finding Greirat and Orbeck in Lothric was upsetting. The only death that I was happy for was Yoel's, cause he wanted to die so bad.
>>
>>336342734
>Have you seen Horace?
>*Tell her about the lake*
>Oh! Oh yes, thank you! To think a giant lake was underneat the catacombs! I will head down, thanks for your help friend"
>*Rings of the evil eye*
PLEASE STOP

Is there a way to save Horace?
>>
>>336338557
You didn't actually beat the game if you parried Gwyn, you do know that right?
>>
>>336342891
Not like you need to parry him, all the lords are such huge pushovers it's hard to die at them unless it's stuff like cutting Seath's tail.
>>
>>336342876

Nope. Everything and everyone is fucked again and dies just like in 1. But at least you can give Siegward peace in the end by helping him redeem his friend's soul.
>>
>>336338716
Soul of Cinder > Gehrman >>>>>> Allant > Gwyn > Nashandra

The whole "story fihht that is purposely weak" got old after DeS
>>
>>336342891
You didn't actually beat the game unless you SL1 fist only'd the entire game, you do know that right?
>>
>>336343053
Why does my waifu die though? She left me her talisman and armor. Is there any explanation on this? Oh well, atleast I can cheat on her with a Rosaria's Covenant
>>
>>336342891
That doesnt somehow make Gwyn not a shitty

Even as the soul of cinder he's easy as shit despite not being able to be parried, the first phase was much better and had a better theme
>>
>>336343053
>Reedeming his friend's soul
I can't help but think we are the king of assholes in this game. I know some people know that they felt "forced" to kindle the flame in Dark Souls 1, but I always thought in the end all Lords of Cinders did their own thing, and linked it because they wanted to.

Instead we find out that a giant did link the flame out of frustration, another was a crazied cleric that was forced to. A prince will be forced to do the same. And I'm pretty sure the Watchers had better things to do rather than burn.

And what do you do of course? You kill them alla again and you force to burn even more, although their fires are long spent. Even Ludleth, no matter how much he is proud of who he is, is horrified (or so he truly seems) at the idea of pain.

Dark Souls 3 is the most depressing of them all, fuck.
>>
>>336343107

>Counting Gehrman as the final boss

The final bosses are True King Allant, Gwyn, Aldia, Moon Presence, and SoC. Because they are the FINAL FIGHTS IN THE GAME.
>>
>>336343302
ok SoC then
>>
>>336343254
>Even Ludleth, no matter how much he is proud of who he is, is horrified (or so he truly seems) at the idea of pain.

That's because he's not actually Ludleth and he never actually linked the flame. Read the description on the ring he drops.
>>
Why do you have to fight Soul of Cinder, again? What's he doing there?
>>
>>336341684
Just think how powerful your fucking guy is by that point though.
>>
File: 1448722742445.jpg (3 MB, 2827x1473) Image search: [Google]
1448722742445.jpg
3 MB, 2827x1473
This and AHH YOU WERE AT MY SIDE ALL ALONG
>>
>>336343404

Guarding the flame. Considering you can just as easily snuff it out or usurp it as shown in some of the endings. If you can beat it then you're strong enough to link it, or you at least deserve to stomp it out.
>>
>>336343378
>"Skull ring, One of Courland's transposed wonders. Derived from the soul of a Soulfeeder. Easier to be detected by enemies. The Soulfeeder was a beast that insatiably absorbed souls to feed its own power. Even after its accursed corpse was burned, it is said that the pungent stench of souls left the air permanently stained."

Are you implying that the actual lord of cinder was the Soulfeeder?

Nah, I don't believe it, it'a farfetched and I don't see anything really sustainingi. I know lots of people thing that "Ludleth is not who he seems" but he still is a Lord, otherwise he wouldn't be fit to be kindling. I know Ludleth was more akin to a smith since he knows the art of transposition and if anything this proves he is the one that killed the Soulfeeder and then used his soul to craft himself a ring.
>>
>>336343501
Why didn't he appear in Dark Souls 2?
>>
>>336342576
Is stepping on an ant a fight?
>>
>>336343779
Yes, obviously. An easy one, but a fight.
>>
>>336343757
Because Dark Souls 2 is so separated by the lore that they had no idea how to make any sense of it. For some reason, the Kiln in Dark 2 is the Throne of Want (or the throne is somehow linked to it, whatever), and even if we do link the flame we never see it in action.

Dark Souls 3 basically tries to retcon it by saying that all Lords just had a really amazing throne or some shit, but the Kiln is the Kiln.
>>
>>336344150
Why would the Flame even make you fight this Soul dude before you even make a choice? What if the Ashen One isn't actually strong enough to beat it?
>>
>>336344289
Basically it did what Gwyn did. If you are someone strong enough to have access to the Kiln (A Satiated Lordvessel, The Giant Kingship, Permission from the FireKeeper) you are also strong enough to put the fire away. So if a previous guardian is still present (Gwyn for example) you fight him, otherwise the Flame can self-defend itself. I like to think that nobody ever fought the Soul of Cinder before, it's a last measure because it's been so long since someone linked the flame that the previous Lord just turned to ash or left.

Just theorycrafting really, nothing of this is really explained in game. You can either call it a plot hole or a fascinating way to write your own book.
>>
>abyss watchers

i just got done with those guys and holy fuck was it a great fight.

also, didnt we fight "the last giant" in dark souls 2? why are we fighting all these giants now?
>>
>>336338419
Roll roll attack
>>
>>336338419
Gehrman is possibly my all time favourite boss for setting and atmosphere. The way he stumbles through the flowers, and his scythe swipe launches petals in to the air for them to fall down around you. He isn't a mindless husk, he isn't something that's born of evil desire, he's a man that fucked up and is suffering.
All while one of the best OSTs in the entire franchise is playing. The sharp rise, the low hums, the burning dream in the background. Ending the game in what felt like home was damn good.

Gwyn is probably my third favourite, after Orphan of Kos. It probably helps that I refuse to parry them to death.
>>
>>336340416
And it would be, no? If there's a way to defeat a boss easily, and you do it, it's a shame. Gwyn is better without parrying, and harder just using your fists. The best possible thing they could have done is have Gwyn counter your parries, just as a final "fuck you", until he's down to the final 1/8th of his HP, where a parry can kill him.
>>
>>336345037
how would they make him counter your parries without making it look stupid?
>>
>>336338739
>uses parry or shields at all
>calls others casuals

wew lad.
>>
>>336346456
By changing the animation. Make it the usual animation when he's in a position to be properly parried.
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.