[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Playstation 3 games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 9
File: ps3.jpg (19 KB, 620x337) Image search: [Google]
ps3.jpg
19 KB, 620x337
I'm finally getting a PS3 because I haven't played a single console game in the past generation. Name some good games that I must play, no matter the genre.
>>
>>336328837
lolipop chainsaw
>>
>>336328837
Demon Souls
Under night in birth
other weaboo shit
>>
>>336328837
I always wanted to get a PS3 to play Last of Us, Uncharted, God of War, etc. Play the exclusives, have fun. Still like my 360 better.
>>
no games

a good ps3 exclusive movie is mgs4
>>
>>336328837
As someone who owns a ton of PS3 games, my advice is to ONLY buy the games that interest you. Otherwise, you'll be wading through Sony's shitty first-party lineup and overrated garbage like The Last of Us.

Multi-plats on the PS3? Absolutely!
>>
MGS4, Bayonetta and Catherine, the hot ass triumvirate.
>>
OP here, thanks for the recommendations.

Also, I'm getting the fat 80 gig model (the guy selling it barely played it, he played fifa and GTA IV). Is it true that they die quickly? There's no alternative but to get a brand new super slim for twice the money, and everyone shits on it for being unreliable, laggy etc.
>>
Vanquish
Red Dead Redemption
>>
>>336329205
Buy an SSD and use it with the PS3 for extra storage. You will not regret it.
>>
>>336328837
just hack it and get all the games for free.
>>
>>336329205
Before even playing anything, check to see if there is dust around the fan area, then elevate it off a flat surface. All PS3s are mini-ovens. Yet they aren't built to withstand heat.
>>
>>336329362
>from sites that track your activity and are building a case against you
Learned my lesson from Comcast.
>>
>>336329474
no idea what you are talking about also i believe that if op not an americlap he shouldn't give two shits anyway.
>>
>>336329391
>Get a hot water bag.
>Put ice and water in hot water bag.
>Put PS3 in top of ice water bag while playing.
>>
Demon's Souls
Vanquish
Ni No Kuni
Yakuza games
Bayonetta
Catherine
>>
>>336328837
journey
little big planet 2
vanquish
warhawk was good but it's dead now so ignore this
>>
>>336329205
I have owned a used one for about 2 or so years and it hasn't shit out on me yet knock on wood just clean the fan and vents once every week with some duster. You will find there are some great games on the PS3 but some of them aged quite poorly. I would have suggested a Wii because its really REALLY easy to hack and you get more exclusive games, plus access to the entire gamecube library, AND virtual console games.
>>
>>336329205
Make sure it never YYOL'd once its done that it has a good chance of happening again.

Couple other things you can do for it is to make sure it has a 19 blade fan(better airflow) and an aps 226 power supply(better efficiency= less heat).

Best fix for any fat ps3 is to install a manual fan controller like the EZchill. Being able to control the fan directly means you can have it set at a constant level where enough hot air is exhausted. The software fan curve is shit which causes overheating. The downside to this is that your ps3 will be loud 24/7 but it will last way longer.

Last thing is if you buy it make sure to put new thermal paste on the heatsinks. Doing all this will ensure the ps3 will last a long while.
>>
I for one lost track of my backlog in the PS2 era so the PS3 was great for catching up with all those HD remasters and collections. Many of them are amazing value if you've missed a couple of games or even if you just like them.

God of War Saga has five and MGS Legacy fucking eight games and you can get them awfully cheap since there's no region lock.
>>
>>336329881
Meant YLOD*
>>
>>336328837
Ignore people saying uncharted and resistence, bought both trilogies and even though I paid about 5-8 bux per game I kind of rue it.
>>
I bought a used cheap super slim (after my 3rd 360 broke), then put in a 250gb WD blue. Works good, though haven't had as much time to play as I would have liked.
>>
File: 5_f.jpg (163 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
5_f.jpg
163 KB, 1200x1600
I also just ordered a PS3 and it's supposed to arrive tomorrow.. The seller included something like this, is heat really that much of a problem?
>>
>>336329972
It'a a shame some of the hd remaster trilogies are awfully ported, like Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell
>>
File: yotsuba.jpg (29 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
yotsuba.jpg
29 KB, 300x300
Thanks guys, for the advice and games. Are there any good quality Nippon onry games that I should import?
>>
>>336330292
>my 3rd 360
I wonder how many sales would 360 have if they only counted one per customer.
>>
>>336330357
One third obviously
>>
why do ps3's break a lot?

is there a genuine common problem that can be easily fixed by looking inside one?

i want to use my old one again
>>
>>336330437
it can be fixed, but it will break again
>>
>>336330437
>i want to use my old one again
Why? They are less than $100 used for a super slim.
>>
>>336330437
Heat is the entire problem. They jammed a shitload of circuitry into a tiny space with one fan to cool it. If you manually set the fan to a high speed it completely solves the issue. You probably are thinking "why didnt sony just set the fan speed higher?" Its because they didnt want their customer bitching that their console sounds like a jet engine.

>>336330295
Fan attachments are snake oil, they dont have enough cfm to generate pressure in order to suck the hot air out.
>>
>>336328837
Demon's Souls
MGS4 or go all out and get the legacy collection
Vanquish
Ni No Kuni
Anarchy Reigns
Bayonetta (if you don't have a WiiU)
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (If you don't have a capable PC)
Nier
Drakengard 3
Lollypop Chainsaw
Shadows of the Damned
No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise (though I personally prefer the Wii version)

enjoy my shitty taste, OP
>>
>>336330776
>If you manually set the fan to a high speed it completely solves the issue.
how do you do this
>>
File: all smiles.png (2 MB, 1014x759) Image search: [Google]
all smiles.png
2 MB, 1014x759
Assuming you have a PC here are some of my favorite games.

MGS 1(ps1 classic), MGS2-3 HD, MGS4 Stealth action
Yakuza 3,4,5(1 and 2 are on ps2 and 2 can be expensive) Beat em up adventure
Catherine puzzle
Fist of the North Star Kens Rage - dynasty warriors with moves based on the anime/manga
>>
>>336330790
Looks good to me nigga, will enjoy.
>>
>>336329328
Is there a specific type of SSD to use for the PS3? Got a 500 GB Hard Drive for it, but sometimes the hardrive won't be read and I have to restart it until it does.
>>
>>336328837
Demon's, anything else is hot garbage.
>>
>>336330886
If youre an electrician/computer geek its pretty easy to hack a fan controller in it. Fortunately for people who arent theres been a kit flying around called EZchill that works just as well. The fan controller is also hidden yet accessible, keeping your psfat all shiny and chrome. I used to fix ps3s a few years ago and recommended this to customers.

http://ps3ezchill.com/
>>
>>336328837
catherine & lolipop chainsaw
>>
File: bitch.gif (1 MB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
bitch.gif
1 MB, 852x480
>>336329881
>aps 226
Actually I believe the aps 231 is the one you want to get as the ps3 fat uses only 210w of power at most.

Source: My Launch Fat
>>
>>336331256
Eh I dunno man, its been so long that ive forgotten which model is which. You might be correct.
>>
I've heard mixed things about Disgaea 3 and 4, though it was from someone who didn't understand the charm of the shitty voice acting in the series, apparently mechanics-wise they're also not particularly great?
>>
>>336330776
>Fan attachments are snake oil, they dont have enough cfm to generate pressure in order to suck the hot air out.

But spinning is a good trick!
>>
>>336328837
Nier.
>>
>>336328837
I don't remember what I used to play on my PS3, which is a bit sad. I know I had fun with it, but I guess my games weren't particularly memorable. I enjoyed Heavy Rain quite a bit, though. It's not much of a game, but the story is really brilliant.

The Ratchet and Clank games were fun, as usual, and I also enjoyed playing the HD Sly Cooper Collection.
>>
>>336331097
Ive never tried SSDs on either my ps3 or 4. Theres probably a compatibility list out there made by people in the same situation as you, try Googling it.
>>
>>336328837
ps3 has no games
>>
>>336328837
Resonance of Fate was a good one.
>>
File: BAD THING.png (313 KB, 387x310) Image search: [Google]
BAD THING.png
313 KB, 387x310
To all those recommending an SSD.
Does it really make a difference? Isnt the PS3 sata 1 because of how old it is? Im sure SSD wouldent be that much fast on a ps3.

Also I have a 60GB Fat PS3(launch) and Red Dead redemption always fails to play for me

Either intro never loads or I get to the first cutscene and the voice fucks off half way through and then I get stuck in a infinite loop of john standing there.
>>
>>336331756
Maybe it's your game disc that's damaged.
>>
>>336331862
I doubt it since its the same disc I used on a Super Slim.

Got rid of that due to the HDMI port breaking and bought myself that 60GB Fat.
>>
>>336331915
About super slim... Did you own the 500gb version? And did you notice any stuttering or any other crap? Honestly the only thing stopping me from buying one is people saying it performs worse and fails in a matter of months.
>>
>>336331975
Mine was 500GB and no, it did get really hot but other than that I had no Functional problems. Carrying the thing in a bag however opened the disc cover easily.

I just gave it to a friend with component cables and got the Old Fat due to liking its design alot more.
>>
>>336332110
Which one would you personally recommend and why? Seems like you lean towards the fat one based on your liking of the design. I personally don't care about design, but more about reliability and functionality.
>>
>>336331975
Theres no doubt about it, super slims are built like total shit. The psfat wasnt built like shit, it was actually built well. It was just designed to not exhaust enough heat, shit design.

They had to cut costs somehow to bring that $599 machine down to $200. PS3 superslim is bottom of the barrel in that regard. Youre better off buying a used slim or fat.
>>
File: yeah.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
yeah.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>336332210
Honestly seeing my buddies regular slim(2010) version it doesn't get too hot and still looks nice.
Can even CFW it unlike the slim.

Just be warned you wont have PS2 disc compatibility but all models have PS1 disc compatibility.
>>
Reminder to buy a 2nd gen slim that's been downgraded to 3.55.

Lowest failure rate and heat output, plus you get all the fucking games for free.

They're a little more expensive, but when you factor in the cost of picking up even a couple of titles, it's worth it. The Playstation move is also pretty cheap these days, and lets you play a few arcade light gun ports you won't find elsewhere and galgun.
>>
>>336332236
>>336332327

I guess I'll just get a used fat. Thanks!
>>
>ps3
>games
You must be new here.
>>
>>336329205

Been using a 60GB since launch. Still trucking. You've just got to take care of them.

They'll become lint collectors in no time. You should elevate it because the bottom gets lava hot (or just use it vertical).

19 blade fan. aps 226(or 227 regional variant) and REPLACE THE FUCKING THERMAL COMPOUND.

Treat her right and you've got best model. Install CFW and enjoy PS3,2,1,PSP games for free.
>>
All of the Sony games are fucking amazing. Go play Shadow of the Colossus HD. Go play all of the Resistance games. There is a lot of originality in most of the PS3 games. You have to dig through a lot of them to find why people love them. Go for the exclusives. They always seem rough on the outside but know how to toy with you without being mean.

There's a reason people love the Souls games. Daemon's Souls literally represents the diamond in the rough kind of games Sony has produced through this last generation
>>
>buying a console with built-in defects
Unless you're willing to pay some crazy fee to get it reballed, don't get a PS3. The system is an absolute joke.

The thermal paste will decay after a few years, but I bet you're saying "I can just replace it", right? Good fucking luck removing the heat spreaders placed on top of the chips and getting to the baked on crap below a layer of glue.
>>
>>336329028
>I always wanted to get
>Still like my 360 better

So you like something you own more than something you don't own?
>>
>>336332831

Is it true that there's a self clean mode that lets the console blow out dust on its own? Something about holding the eject button.
>>
>>336332463
>ancient goddamn memes
I think you're the new one.
>>
Why did they name it ps3?

Because it took them 3 tried to get it right.
>>
>>336332859

I got mine since 2008 and it still work perfectly senpai
>>
>>336333094
Looks like you were pretty lucky desu
>>
>>336331256

Wrong.

The aps231 is known to have issues with early models (PS3 shuts down) due to not meeting power requirements. It might work but it's been known to not.

aps 226 is the safe bet. 227 is even more efficient but only for 240v regions.
>>
>>336333201
I've also got a 2008 fat and it's served me well even though I've treated it pretty badly. How do you even get lucky in these sorts of issues? It's not like one in three consoles is assembled by a dying hobo.
>>
>>336328837
Alice Madness Returns
Vanquish
Red Dead Redemption GotYE
El Shaddai
Folklore
DMCHD
BioShock 1 & Infinite
Resident Evil Revelations
Shadows of the Damned
Tales of series
>>
If you like weeb games I suggest
Lost Dimension
Tales of Graces/Xillia1
Eternal Sonata
Yakuza 3-5
Resonance of Fate
Valkyria Chronicles
Atelier
Ni No Kuni
Catherine
Disgaea 3&4
Dragons Crown
Nier

other good games
Binary Domain
Singularity
Bayonetta
Ninja Gaiden 1-3
Demon Souls
Deadly Premonition
Fist of the North Star
Folklore
Red Dead Redemption
Shadows of the Damned
The Darkness
Vanquish
Uncharted 1-3
>>
>>336332831
Amen senpai. Ive had an original ps3 for a while too. Havent used it in a few years though. Thinking of installing cfw and catching up on the missed games. Not trying to be spoonfed, but do you know of any reliable guides to install cfw?
>>
>>336333741
First of all, pray that you never updated firmware above 3.55, otherwise it becomes a whole lot more complicated.

Then, for all your console piracy needs go to GBAtemp forums.
>>
>>336333874
Shit, complicated enough to brick it or just a huge pain in the ass?
>>
>>336334008
Complicated enough to need professional help, it's hardware fuckery and people charge for downgrading the console for you.
>>
>>336332973

There is yeah. You hold down the eject button when the console is off and the fans will go into high-speed reverse mode.

It does not apply to the very first gen 60GB though. Only the 80GB and later.
>>
>>336334208
What about 40 gig consoles? And does it actually work?
>>
>>336333741

60GB guy here. I just used this guide a week ago to take mine from first gen cfw to the latest stuff (so I could get proper PS2 ISO support making use of the BC hardware).

If you've updated past 3.55 you're going to need to buy a hardware flasher. Have fun with that. Read the PS3hax forum for information.

http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=56205
>>
>>336329675
>PS3 version of Bayonetta

You madman. Did they ever fix the menu loading?
>>
>>336333429
>Bioshock on ps3

jesus christ no, it looks so fucking awful compared to pc
>>
>>336334362

Yeah. 40 and 80GB were released at the same time iirc.

It does work. I used to have an 80GB before I traded up for a 60GB BC. The PS3 will blow out a bunch of dust when you do it. That's a pretty good sign.
>>
>>336330437
>why do ps3's break a lot?

They don't? YLoD is in single digit percentage. It's just that, you know, when it rarely happens you hear people bitching about it so it stands out more.
>>
>>336334548
Alright, thanks anon. You've been very helpful.
>>
File: folklore_screen.jpg (118 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
folklore_screen.jpg
118 KB, 1280x720
>>336333429
>Folklore

Overlooked as fuck game. People also bitched about DLC because that was back before it became the norm.
>>
>>336333874
about how along ago was 3.55?

i might be able to try it.

how would I even connect my ps3 to my computer to install the software?
>>
File: 91BHO3wnMFL._SL1500_.jpg (421 KB, 1296x1500) Image search: [Google]
91BHO3wnMFL._SL1500_.jpg
421 KB, 1296x1500
If you're modding it and you're into JPGs get the translated version of Tales of Vesperia. It still remains beyond me why they never brought the PS3 version outside of Japan.
>>
>>336328837
Catherine
Demon's Souls
RDR
Ratched and Clank games
Tekken Tag 2
Uncharted trilogy
TLOU
Folklore
Infamouses
>>
>All this talk about heating and fans
Got my fat 60ps3 in 2008, never had a problem except with new vegas
>>
>>336335017
It all depends on airflow, dust, how much you play in unbroken blocks of time, etc. There's really no constant.
>>
>>336335079
I never cleaned it, it's probably filled with dust.
Always kept it vertical though.
>>
>>336334791

Awhile. Just boot up the ps3 and check what system software it's running.
>>
>>336334916
Fuck yeah, Folklore. GOd I loved that game.
>>
How do you clean the fan of old phat models? should I replace the thermal paste as well?
>>
>>336336002
Heard of this gane befoe. Can you anons sell it to me?
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.