[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is the best Star Fox so far
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: Star-Fox-Zero-02_feature.jpg (431 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Star-Fox-Zero-02_feature.jpg
431 KB, 1280x720
This is the best Star Fox so far
>>
>>336328153
That's how Star Fox should have looked. but even then, it would still feel irrelevant in this day & age. Star Fox was definitely a product of its time.
>>
You're gonna have to wait a few years until the memeing has calmed down to have any sort of discussion about this game.
>>
Zero is not a good game.

Sure the dev team listened to the things playtesters were saying. How it doesn't feel like a star fox game and how branching paths are cool and they should be in the game

but they were so lazy with following the feedback.

And there's so little content too for how long they delayed it. Which leads me to believe they were mostly just tightening up the engine and graphics rather than adding more content. Which is no fucking cool. Had they dropped the duel screens maybe they wouldn't have had to struggle for 60 fps with a shit gimmick. It's cool in star wolf fights but that's fucking it. Everywhere else it's lame as hell. But I understand, at that point it was too late. They had to stick with the concept since they had shown it off and everything.

Perhaps someday we'll have a game as good as the first three star fox games.
>>
Star Fox 2 ≥ Star Fox > Star Fox Zero > Star Fox 64 >>> Assault >>>>>> Command
>>
>>336329398
>star fox 2
>anywhere near the top of the list
but it's mediocre, really easy, and really short
>>
>>336329603
>mediocre
Nah.
>really easy
Expert's difficult if you want to actually do well and not just survive, and all the Star Fox games are pretty easy anyway.
>really short
All of the Star Fox games are really short.
>>
>>336329821
>Expert's difficult
if only, it's still easy as balls

>all of the star fox games are really short
star fox and sf 64 take like 70 minutes to beat, but star fox 2 is like barely 30 minutes long, and much much easier to boot
>>
>>336328153
Maybe if it's the only one you've played
>>
I dunno about any of you but I think 64 is slightly overrated. I'll just compare it to Zero as to explain my reasoning.

>better level structure, encouraged replayability with branching paths, getting all the medals, and short playtime, easily beatable in less than an hour.
>A nice balance of on rails and all range missions
>finding branching paths takes a decent amount of skill
>However, because of the mission structure, you are forced to go through a route instead of independently choosing your own planet to traverse at your own pace, which sometimes can put you through missions that you don't want to go through (ex: Aqua, Bolse, this is all subjective)
The major problem of 64 is how limited it is
>Controlling your Arwing is simple yet restrictive compared to Zero's controls
>Your boost meter takes a while to reuse once you use it, and it can take a little while for it to recharge, making it feel like a drag
>The brakes are absolutely worthless, since it's a hassle to brake and shoot at the same time and the fact that you don't slow down enough.
>This is especially apparent in all-range mode sections/missions, since more often than not you are flying in a pretty cramped space where you are bound to be hit by enemies or your own teammates

I think 64 is the better game compared to Zero, but I don't think we should put it on such a high pedestal.
>>
File: Kirby Planet Robobot.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Kirby Planet Robobot.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
Honestly, pic related is a better Star Fox than Star Fox Zero.
>>
>>336331543
>Controlling your Arwing is simple yet restrictive compared to Zero's controls
How is it restrictive? What can you not do in 64 that you can in Zero?

>Your boost meter takes a while to reuse once you use it, and it can take a little while for it to recharge, making it feel like a drag
The game is designed around that so I don't really see why that's a problem.

>The brakes are absolutely worthless, since it's a hassle to brake and shoot at the same time and the fact that you don't slow down enough.
Uhhhh, did you miss all the obstacles that you need to slow down before you fucking ram into them? Or the enemies behind you?

>This is especially apparent in all-range mode sections/missions, since more often than not you are flying in a pretty cramped space where you are bound to be hit by enemies or your own teammates
Somersault? Turnaround? And also, your team literally can't hurt you in 64.
>>
>>336328153
Yes. I hope they patch regular controls, so casuals and lazy fuckers don't have a reason to complain anymore.
>>
As much as like love the universe of starfox quirky animal races fighting in space star fox is aniquated shit, shame on you nintendo for not making something special of the franchise that originally broke so many barriers.

Notevenhating
>>
>>336332175
The controls are the least of the games problems.
>>
>>336328356
StarFox was good at feeling as though the game reacted to your choices and bad at making your teammates feel worthwhile rather than nothing. A real sequel would improve on the good parts and rethink the bad parts.
>>
>>336332241
Controls are the only thing people bitch about in reviews.
Everything else is like 64, actually an improvement over 64 in some cases.
>>
>>336332363
>Controls are the only thing people bitch about in reviews.
You need to actually read those reviews.

>Everything else is like 64, actually an improvement over 64 in some cases.
>Less routes
>shorter levels
>less overall levels
>no alternate end boss
>too many all-range mode segments
>gyrowing
>barrel rolls now mapped to a stick, making it way more finnicky to actually pull off multiple times
>infinitely worse bosses
>no multiplayer
>an improvement
>>
>>336330239
>if only, it's still easy as balls
Again, to merely survive, sure. If you want to actually do well though, it's a bit challenging.

>star fox and sf 64 take like 70 minutes to beat, but star fox 2 is like barely 30 minutes long, and much much easier to boot
It's more like 40 minutes for a fast Expert playthrough, which is about the same as a single fast non-speedrun playthrough of Star Fox or Star Fox 64 (and in the original, a non-negligible chunk of that time is due to slowdown, which is much worse than it ever is in 2), and I think you're seriously overestimating the difficulty of the original and 64. They aren't hard. The only thing that comes close is Sector Z in the original.

2's a different kind of game altogether anyway, it's really not even the same genre.
Star Fox and Star Fox 64 are arcadey and have lives and shit.
If you die in Star Fox 2, that character is gone for good and you have to play as your single remaining character. If you lose that character, that's it, game over.
It makes sense for it to be easier to survive in 2, given the length of a playthrough and the more severe consequences for dying.
In place of survival, the difficulty is in doing things quickly, preventing damage to Corneria, and getting a good rank.

Star Fox 2 also has minor roguelite elements. Playthroughs aren't all exactly the same.
Different enemies, bosses, missiles, etc. will be sent your way, planets will be attacked in different orders, and so on, never mind the differences caused by the order you choose to save planets, destroy battleships, and fight enemies and missiles, or how efficiently you are able to do any of those things since everything happens in real time.
Plus the layouts and sometimes even the objectives for every area are different for each difficulty. Titania on Normal, Hard, and Expert are different things.

You don't play 2 once on one difficulty and you've seen all the content and are done. That's simply not how the game is designed.
>>
>>336332710
All range mode is a LOT less shitty than it is in 64 though.

>infinitely worse bosses
I can't agree with this. The majority of 64's bosses range from poor to mediocre.
>>
>>336328153
Zero>64>2>Command>1>>>>>>Adventures>>>>>>>>>Assault.
>>
>>336334773
>Command that high
>higher than the original
The fuck is this?
>>
>>336332710.
>Less routes
might well be the case
>shorter levels
Some are short most seem notably longer
>less overall levels
No there are more
>no alternate end boss
There wasn't one in 64 and there are postgame boss.
Subjective, the all-range stuff is also a lot better than in 64
>gyrowing
Used in one main stage, is optional in another stage and can be used in 2 brief optional score attack stages that aren't counted among the main 20
>barrel rolls now mapped to a stick, making it way more finnicky to actually pull off multiple times
This is fair.
>infinitely worse bosses
No, if anything this has the best boss in the series, still not up to plat best but way above average.
>no multiplayer
Fair
>an improvement
yes
>>
File: star fox approved.jpg (571 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
star fox approved.jpg
571 KB, 1920x1080
The most refreshing Star Fox yet, for sure.
Still adjusting to the controls. Starting to feel it.
>>
>>336335415
>There wasn't one in 64
Not that guy, but yes there is. You get either robot Andross that dies in like 2 shots, or that Andross brain fight, depending on the Venom you visit.
>>
File: 1442550649917.gif (57 KB, 74x98) Image search: [Google]
1442550649917.gif
57 KB, 74x98
>only 270K units sold
Yup. Starfox confirmed dead
>>
Motion control is needed for piloting vehicles, sure

But this is fucking garbage

Nintendo is fucking retarded thinking a shitty gyro touchscreen is innovation and still totally fucking ignoring VR

Seriously are they only fucking doing these shitty control gimmicks so people cant emulate and pirate it on PC?

Because by now i can see literally no other reason, they are just shooting themselves in the foot
>>
>>336336226
>gyro is a dumb gimmick, fuck that
>WHY AREN'T THEY DOING VR?????
Holy shit, kill yourself.
>>
>>336336428
>everything new is a gimmick

Its ok kid bernie will give you free money and you can stop being poor soon huh
>>
>>336335872
>only 270k
that's pretty good for a dead console
>>
>>336336510
My offer to kill yourself is still on the table.
>>
>>336336226

how is the VR meme STILL not dead? fucking hell
>>
>>336335784
Wait, sorry your right, I guess I could argue that you just get a shorter version of the same boss, but yes there are two variants.
>>
>>336329398
Wasn't the DS one just a remake of 2 with a story mode?
>>
>>336336579
because not everyone is underage, jobless and addicted to moba's like they are in highschool
>>
>>336336664
I fucking wish. I would have enjoyed it if that were the case.
>>
>>336336731
>Chasing Missiles
>All range mode all the time
>Reach the goal of a level once all positions are safe

Other than 2 having walker mode and DS having a fanfiction tier story, they were pretty similar.
>>
>>336328153

Speculative buyer here

How does the aiming compare to, say, Splatoon? (Or the 3DS Zelda remakes)

I found that those games motion control is extremely accurate and ultimately more sensitive than analog sticks.
>>
>>336328693
>And there's so little content too for how long they delayed it
THIS
Where are the rest of the planets in the lylat system?
>>
>>336336607
Again though, it really needs to be stressed that THIS not being in the game is what people are complaining about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-qSt5d6YEs&t=2m8s

This is the "major content" missing from the end of Star Fox Zero that all these retards are bitching about.

Just look at this shit.

Just look.

An alternate final boss like this not being in the game is apparently a huge mark against Star Fox Zero.
>>
>>336329398
>Liking Star Fox more than 64

You're my nigga. Your list is pretty much how I would rate the games.
>>
>>336336794
Not really. The few things they have in common are:
>all-range mode all the time
>different characters have different ships
>a strategy element is present (though implemented entirely differently)

Star Fox 2
>normal controls, what you expect from Star Fox
>real time strategy with action segments when you run into anything of interest
>focus is on being being fast and efficient since everything happens in real time (missiles and shit approach Corneria to fuck it up while you're taking too long figuring out where to go in some battleship or whatever)
>entire playthrough takes place on one map
>enemy AI that will do a variety of different things like try to run away from you, try to swarm or flank you, fly as fast as possible to their destination on the map, break formation and try to waste your time being hard to hit, etc.
>light roguelite elements

Star Fox Command
>touch screen controls with weird shit like barrel rolling for extended periods, importance of things like tilting your ship to change the orientation of your hitbox and how fast you can turn all but removed
>turn based strategy with action segments at the end of turns
>focus is on drawing good lines on the touch screen that run into the most shit, action segments have minimal pressure to be fast or efficient
>playthrough broken up into multiple small maps where your mistakes don't have time to compile on one another and hurt you down the road
>enemy AI doesn't do anything special
>branching story paths
>>
File: Anim03.gif (434 KB, 224x190) Image search: [Google]
Anim03.gif
434 KB, 224x190
>>336337187
Out of interest, what makes you prefer the original to 64?

I prefer the original for it's greater challenge, better music, greater amount of levels and bosses, more creative level ideas, all the content it does have being Arwing rail shooter content, the Arwing having more heft to its movement, having alternate rather than branching paths so I don't have to start with the same first level and end with the same last levels every time, and for making me feel more like I'm a badass ace space pilot rather than like I'm watching a science fiction B movie.

If only it didn't run like shit and in a tiny resolution.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.