[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok anons, I need some vidya titles with real, soul shattering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 2016-03-24 13.53.01.jpg (126 KB, 720x477) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-24 13.53.01.jpg
126 KB, 720x477
Ok anons, I need some vidya titles with real, soul shattering emotional power in them (existential fear and dawning dread preferred in the story, but not necessarily the scariest of games - take Soma). Any language is fine, any style, as long as the aesthetic is good
>pic symbolic of existential dread when meeting a nihilist
>>
>>336105586
You should read a book instead, you fucking neckbeard
>>
Dota 2.
>>
Fuck off weeaboo jones
>>
Unteralterbach.
Main character battles his inner demons throughout.
Gets real emotional when he failed to uphold the law as a police and goes back home to his family.
>>
File: THEVOID.jpg (45 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
THEVOID.jpg
45 KB, 800x600
>>336105586
The Void
Pathologic
Silent Hill 2
Shadow Of Colossus
Bastion
Cryostasis
The Cradle

Arguably SpecOps The Line
I've also heard good things about Brothers and Journey, but I've played neither.

I think The Void should be the very first one to check out for you, as it's quite literally a game about existential dread, it's woven even into the game mechanics.
>>
>>336105907
Sounds great friendo, I'll check those out when I have time. A friend of mine loves horror games as much as I do, and I'm trying to pick out some good ones for him to play
>>
>>336106067
Outside of SH2 and Cryostasis, none of those games are really horror titles. The Void is a surreal game about existential dread and the awareness of one's inevitable death.
Pathologic (by the same people as The Void) is a magical realism survival game about finding ways to survive in a plagued pseudo-russian town for twelve days.
SotC you probably know, and Bastion is a seemingly very cheerful and colorful game with some really dark undertones. The Cradle is a short bizarre Ukrainian sci-fi / distopia world about world where depression literally kills people.
>>
>>336106361
Horror isn't a necessity. I really enjoyed NaissanceE, and there wasn't a single scary moment in the game. It's more for the themes and artistic spectacle
>>
Dear anon, does it have to be something existential in theme or can it just be emotionally powerful?
>>
>>336106815
Just realized Persona 3 checks out either way
>>
>>336106626
>tried playing NaissanceE
>got stuck less an hour in because I physically couldn't see where to go next and groping the walls just led me in circles
>>
>>336106815
Emotionally Powerful, like "To the Moon"
>>
File: 1zgtgl0.jpg (71 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
1zgtgl0.jpg
71 KB, 1024x640
>>336106626
Well, if you want artistic spectacle, I think you'll be satisfied. The Void and Pathologic in particular are probably the most "artistic" games ever made, if we consider "artistic" as a serious appraisement and not an insult. They do require quite a lot of patience and are about as accessible as a brick, so be warned.
>>
>>336106918
>open game
>bloom flashbangs me
>stumble back from desk
>trip over dog
>fall down stairs
>break spine
>play the rest of the game alternating from flashbang bloom to the darkness of the void
>have a seizure
>can't control character's breathing
>die
>die
>game was decent and haunting, 7.5/10
>>
>>336107019
Soul Sacrifice Delta
Persona 3/4 (haven't played the first 3 games, P2 is a duology)
Zero Escape in particular endings
Umineko
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.