[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's impressive how Toby somehow managed to create a game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 16
It's impressive how Toby somehow managed to create a game that's literally impossible to be disliked by anyone once you actually play it.
>>
>>336099465
I played it, didn't like it, found it boring.
>>
>>336099512
I played it, found the battle system amusing but ultimately uninteresting, cringed at the "but you were actually bad" and dislike it overall.
>>
I don't like it simply because of the annoying, cringy fanbase.

It's on par with the MLP fanbase.
>>
>>336099591
meant for op but whatever
>>
I like cocks
>>
>>336099465
I played it. Beat it in 5 hours. Fucking CoD campaigns are longer and this is an RPG. Disgusting. I do not understand the praise.

>but you can be nice to demons xD
It's a fucking game, they're not real, that's the beauty of it, you can kill anything.
>>
>>336099512
>>336099591
That's likely because you went in with the mindset that you were going to not like the game no matter what due to the fanbase. Therefore, you didn't give the game a fair chance.

>>336099596
Then you don't like the fanbase. The game and the fanbase are not the same thing. You don't have to hate the game to hate the fanbase.
>>
>>336099913
I played it on release because I didn't want to get influenced by mass opinion. For what it's worth, I thought the demo was neat but the game wasn't able to keep it going consistently and as I mentioned earlier, you would have to fucking suck at low tier bullet hell to find almost any battle sequence hard.
>>
>>336099465
Played it, beat every route in just 6 hours. It's still shit.
>>
>>336100105
And then you have people like this who blatantly lie about playing the game.
>>
File: 1461064337487.png (438 KB, 604x388) Image search: [Google]
1461064337487.png
438 KB, 604x388
>>336099848
>It's a fucking game, they're not real, that's the beauty of it, you can kill anything

The beauty of a video game is that you can do whatever the fuck you want especially when it comes to RPG. For instance Planescape: Torment is praised for being an RPG where you don't have to engage in combat at all

Plus I highly doubt the point of Cluefinders is to kill everything despite it being a videogame
>>
>>336099465
simon's quest is also pretty cool and innovative
>>
>>336099848
>that's the beauty of it, you can kill anything
No one on /v/ is this unironically edgy. Work on your believably next time
>>
>>336099465
undertale fandom < sonic fandom

CRINGE
>>
>>
File: Micro-Flirting.png (1 MB, 1280x1663) Image search: [Google]
Micro-Flirting.png
1 MB, 1280x1663
>>336100284
>Blatantly lie.
I played Pacifist, Genocide and a few Neutrals, It's still a shit game, the only thing that kind of redeems it, is the Battle Sequences and Mettaton.
>>
>>336099465
I would have found it far more impressive if the neutral route, and genocide for that matter, wasn't such shit. It gives you the opportunity to kill and spare whoever you want, yet does nothing of any significance with it.
Also, the gameplay in general is shallow and rather dull outside of a few boss battles.
>>
Music was poor
Graphics were ugly and lazy
Writing, Story and Characters were all garbage
Combat was repetitive outside of boss battles, inside of boss battles was pretty nice.

How people actually like it is beyond me, but then again the people who funded it and shilled it homestuck fans and generally the worst kinds of people, and the people who brought it from the shilling are idiots.
>>
File: le blank anime face.jpg (75 KB, 647x647) Image search: [Google]
le blank anime face.jpg
75 KB, 647x647
I played the demo for 5 minutes and it gave me a headache so I stopped
>>
>>336099465
I mean it was alright
>>
>>336100449
Absolutely correct.
Personally I thought i t could never be done but here we are.
>>
>>336100904
>Music was poor
You can not like the music, but don't blatantly lie
>>
>>336099796
dude same
>>
>>336101190
He's completely right though. Just because you like the game doesn't mean you have to pretend everything about it was great.
>>
>>336101190
>Chiptune with Synth is good
>Chiptune with Synth is "music"
No.
You're objectively wrong, and anybody who isnt some shitter who listens to chiptune or video game soundtracks exclusively knows you're a shitter.

Go listen to "A song that might play when you fight sans" and tell me its not just ripped MegaMan X chips smashed together. And before you complain "but it wasnt in the game", it was made when he made the rest of the music.

Honestly every song in Undertale doesnt compare to his old work, its depressing. Its like he forgot how to make shit that wasnt garbage.
>>
>>336101374
The graphics were shit, I'll give it that. But it CAN be passed because it was the only way the dude could make his game on his budget.
>>336101458
>Shop bad
>Bonetrousle bad
>It's Raining Somewhere Else bad
>Hopes and Dreams bad
It's your opinion, but it's shit
>>
>>336101458
>Go listen to "A song that might play when you fight sans" and tell me its not just ripped MegaMan X chips smashed together. And before you complain "but it wasnt in the game", it was made when he made the rest of the music.

It was made to preserve Meglovania so hackers wouldn't think that it was the music for the sans fight
>>
>>336099913
I played it before I knew what the fanbase was like. I thought it was boring.
>>
>>336101642
>The graphics were shit, I'll give it that. But it CAN be passed because it was the only way the dude could make his game on his budget.

Dust an furry tail was made by one dude and it looks better.
Cave Story was made by one dude and it looks better.
Toss the turtle was by one dude and it looks better
>>
>play game
>its ok
>don't even finish it
It seems to be beloved by losers who project onto the characters.

Sans and Papyrus are not your friends and this game is not an "emotional experience". Fucking go outside
>>
>>336101786
Those dudes were artist, Toby is clearly not.
It's not about being one dude, it's about what you can do. Toby can't draw, so he worked with what he got.
>>
>>336101642
>One dude
Wrong.
>>
I literally do not get the hype.
>>
>>336101873
ZUN isn't an artist and the Touhou games looks much better than Undercock
>>
its lame
>>
>play game on release because interesting concept

it was strictly okay, i really don't think it's anything special and i'm actually baffled it has such a fucking giant following instead of like... any other random indie game.

why couldn't everyone fall in love with guacamelee? memes aside i thought that was more fun than undertale.
>>
As someone who watches Steven Universe and Adventure Time you just have to learn to ignore the fanbase for these sorts of things. Stop browsing /v/ for a while and maybe you will like games again.
>>
>>336102046
There are people who are better at drawing than other people. Your point?
>>
>>336102205
And who are better with spritework
>>
Why is it that people who are obsessed with media that deals with tolerance, acceptance and love such ugly fucking losers?
>>
I wonder if I should play it, however based on discussion I have seen I simply do not believe it's a good game or even interesting.

My friend really hyped it up for me, I played it a bit at his house for about an hour or so but didn't get in to it, it didn't pander as much as I think it would but it wasn't really that great either.
>>
>>336102268
and music
and writing
and character design
>>
>>336100904
>Music was poor
I agree. The only memorable track for me is the first few seconds of the battle theme. I don't know where people are getting this god-tier ost idea from
>>
File: 1460611399240.jpg (110 KB, 1171x540) Image search: [Google]
1460611399240.jpg
110 KB, 1171x540
>>336099848
>It's a fucking game, they're not real, that's the beauty of it, you can kill anything

way to miss the entire point of the game
>>
>>336099465
It was pretty good as far as indies go, but nothing more. It's certainly not even remotely close to being the best game ever as some claim.
>>
>>336102397
And Toby isn't good with either
>>
File: Undermeme starter kit.jpg (105 KB, 1650x397) Image search: [Google]
Undermeme starter kit.jpg
105 KB, 1650x397
>>
File: whatever.jpg (122 KB, 986x1378) Image search: [Google]
whatever.jpg
122 KB, 986x1378
I thought it was really well written and well thought out. Granted the combat wasn't that great, but combat wasn't really the focus of the game. The focus was on the character interactions and exploring the world.

I got invested in the characters and genuinely felt for them when things happened

The music was great and I really enjoyed the meta aspects of the game.

GOTY for me
>>
>>336102678
I have more empathy for characters in videogames that don't explicitly emphasize that I ought to have empathy for its pretentious and poorly-written characters.
>>
>5 hour long rpg
>30 fps """"bullet-hell""""
>crazy high system requirements despite it being a retro-looking game
>looks like absolute shit
It has plenty wrong, only good thing are sone of the songs
One of the worst things is how absolutely horrible it looks, just plain ugly
>>
>>336102979
Fucking this
It should be my choice, don't beat over the head with it and I might actually consider being a good guy instead of it being a chore like it is
I mean holy fuck the battles are boring when you try to spare everyone and the bosses drag on forever
>>
>>336103252
It's a parody of RPGs. Where killing monsters is bad because monsters aren't JUST for EXP gain. They are people in their world. How do people not get this?
>>
>>336102397
Anybody who doesn't use fruity loops
>>
I'll be honest with you guys, I try not to let the fanbase for a game color my perception of it, and until now I've never turned down a game SOLELY because its fans are insufferable cunts. But Undertale fans seem to take almost perverse pride in making their adulation of the game as sickeningly obnoxious and sophomoric as possible. It seems awfully counterproductive. What's the deal?

And don't blame it on shitposters or bait, because well-reasoned moderate viewpoints are few and far between.
>>
>>336099465
I've played it and disliked it.
But then again, I'm a 28 year old man and not a teenager who uses tumblr.
>>
>>336103484
its not really a parody. I kinda saw it like spec ops did with military shooters. driving home the question "why are you enjoying killing people?"
>>
>>336103652
Parody isn't the right word. But Not-RPG didn't sound right, either, though I've heard it used before.
>>
>>336103571
when people like something, and someone else bashes it, it makes people defend the thing harder
>>
>>336103484
Why should I feel truly and legitimately guilty for killing monsters in a fucking videogame simply because they are granted context for their existence and don't need to be killed to complete the game? Their "world" is a cutesy hokey thing, a part of the "parody of RPGs".
>>
>do genocide
>have to use fucking insta-encounter cheats because the spawnrate of enemies is incredibly low it turns into a tedious walking simulator around the same area
>Finally kill all of the enemies in the area
>Encounter rate shoots back up to regular just to say no one was there
>>
>>336103571
>But Undertale fans seem to take almost perverse pride in making their adulation of the game as sickeningly obnoxious and sophomoric as possible
>he can't tell this is a false-flagging thread made by a false flagger OP
i remember when i was this new, good times
>>
>>336103484
Except it's wrong
In this game monsters are sentient in most games monsters aren't or are outright evil
Say I'm playing an rpg and I go into a dungeon filled with zombies, what should I do? Not kill them all? Talk to the zombies?
>>336103652
And spec-ops was shit
Gameplay was really subpar, how do you ripoff GoW and not put in a slide or dodge-roll?
Also it was super short and while I love Jimi Hendrix's Star-Spangled Banner it's really trying to drill it into your head that "WAR IS BAD DUDE"
It's preachy
Not to mention who gives a fuck? Ok, I killed a bunch of civvies, shit happens, imagine if in WW2 people started breaking down like like little-girls
>>
>>336103731
That's not how you do it though
MGS2 is you properly deconstruct an idea
>>
>>336103928
That's the point. The narrative of the game's story is that, to them, they are more than just characters in a game. This is their whole world. With the people they love. That's how it's written.
You going out of your way to be a murderer, you're gonna be treated like one
>>336103969
This is the path you chose
if it bothers you so much, just use Flowey's Time Machine
>>
File: 1462070396976.jpg (155 KB, 700x714) Image search: [Google]
1462070396976.jpg
155 KB, 700x714
>>336104062
> imagine if in WW2 people started breaking down like little-girls

because grown men have never broken down at the sight of the horrors of war, because grown men have never fallen to their knees at the sight of a bombed out building with the remains of a child and sobbed their fucking eyes out

look up empathy, you might learn something autist
>>
>>336103786
That happens all the time and it rarely turns out praise and adoration that is so 110% hyperbole. We've got another case right now with Star Fox Zero, and even fans who won't admit anything is wrong with it don't make claims like "it is literally impossible to be disliked". It doesn't matter if the OP is bait or not because this stuff swung into Poe's Law territory months ago.
>>
>>336104323
Empathy is not for soldiers
>>
The game itself is quite good, but there are better things, though.

However, no game, show or any other work of fiction deserves this fanbase.

Nothing.
>>
>>336104053
>"don't blame it on shitposters or bait"
>blame it on that anyway
>>
>>336104447
but its for humans, something soldiers happen to be
>>
>>336100620
Those tags are basically /v/
>>
>>336104515
Self-control is for humans too
>>
>>336104447
You know nothing of war.
I've never posted anything like this in the ten years of visiting 4chan, but I was conscripted into the amy. It is not a pleasant experience. Don't run your mouth about shit you don't know anything about.
>>
played with cheat engine, shitty game
>>
>>336104264
>You going out of your way to be a murderer, you're gonna be treated like one
Treated like a murderer...in a videogame. You haven't answered why I should actually be emotional about it. The writing doesn't support it. It actually undermines the whole effort by hammering on it with no subtlety and no room for the player to form legitimate attachments to characters.
>>
>>336103252
>kill someone
>they die

>figure out the way to spare them
>get more jokes

what sort of faggot doesn't want to flirt with a plane?
>>
>>336104631
Where did I say it was pleasant?
But if you're a professional soldier you should do your job like a professional
Imagine if a doctor started getting dizzy at the sight of blood, or gore in general
>>
>>336104750
>kill someone
>they fade out and you exit the battle

>spare them
>they fade out and you exit the battle

The jokes are mildly entertaining the first time, and worse than grinding after that, because you gain nothing.
>>
>>336099596
>I don't like it simply because of the annoying, cringy fanbase.

And people like you are even more cringey than the MLP fanbase.
>>
>>336104062
> it's really trying to drill it into your head that "WAR IS BAD DUDE"
>It's preachy
>Not to mention who gives a fuck? Ok, I killed a bunch of civvies, shit happens, imagine if in WW2 people started breaking down like like little-girls

you are some kind of dolt, aren't you?
>>
>>336104735
You don't have to feel anything. But in the game, they are treated as people. You don't have to feel bad for them at all. Be the Chara you want to be.
It's only seen as a bad thing to do because, in the game, you're a human who can control time and should never actually have to kill anyone with such power.
>>
>>336104946
Are you?
>>
>>336104979
no, i actually paid attention to what i was playing with
>>
>>336099512
That's becuase you're jaded and dead inside, lad
>>
>>336101642
>But it CAN be passed because it was the only way the dude could make his game on his budget.
This is never a valid excuse. Judge the game, not the circumstances.
>>
>>336104401
This. Couldn't have said it any better myself.
>>
File: tumblr_o1qi7kQqx31tneq7do2_540.png (247 KB, 540x652) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1qi7kQqx31tneq7do2_540.png
247 KB, 540x652
>>
Wow I haven't been on this board in 3 months and tumblr is still shilling this crappy flash game
>>
I fucking hate Undertale fans more than pain itself
>>
File: 1459714795101.jpg (17 KB, 350x277) Image search: [Google]
1459714795101.jpg
17 KB, 350x277
I love it, come at me

no I don't care about the """"fanbase""""
>>
File: Pap.jpg (95 KB, 307x307) Image search: [Google]
Pap.jpg
95 KB, 307x307
>>336100449
>>336101142
lel, retards don't know how to use > and <
>>
>>336108407
Nothing wrong with that. People's ire stem from those going around claiming it's the greatest game ever and impossible to dislike.
>>
>>336099796
same
>>
Admit it /v/ you only hate it because it got popular.
>>
File: 1444479914774.gif (2 MB, 400x250) Image search: [Google]
1444479914774.gif
2 MB, 400x250
>>336108631
>from those going around claiming it's the greatest game ever and impossible to dislike
I hate repeating myself, I don't care about that

only autists get triggered by other autists online, if it's something that bothers you and you think you need to keep bumping the threads and argue about it then you play a bigger part of the problem than the """fanbase""" does
>>
>>336108775
People shit on it because of people like you.
>>
>>336108872
Wasn't implying that you were?
>>
>>336108896
he's right though, if it wasn't popular it would be essential /v/-core and part of the board culture (in a positive way, that is)
>>
>>336099465
It's okay, played through it once and yeah, it's okay.
Just stop praising it as the coming of christ, you're embarrassing yourself.
>>
The problem with the fanbase is that they went full retard with praising the game, comparing it to the classics and becoming REALLY obnoxious - then the association with tumblr and feminism and shit did the rest

It's a really good indie game and the meta aspect is REALLY interesting, BUT it's still an indie game, with many flaws
>combat gets repetitive after you find the strategy for each mob
>the puzzles are a joke
>generally piss easy (part of its success) outside of 2 fights
>the artstyle is inconsistent and generally pretty shit

>>336108775
/v/ loved it until tumblr also loved it
>>
>>336100449
shit < piss
>>
homestuck > undertale
Agree?
>>
>>336109020
Popularity has nothing to do with it, nor was it ever universally praised by /v/ at any point like I've seen many try to claim. Nothing is ever universally praised by /v/. If someone believes a few threads relatively free of shitposting means /v/ loves something, then they're delusional. All that means is a few people who liked it talked about it while the rest who didn't know and didn't care let them be.
>>
>>336099465
nah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe3j5qnCcoU
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQe9YF9zXWk
>>
>>336109119
Spot on.
I fully agree with everything in this post .
(damn shame though, game had loads of potential)
>>
>>336109434
Eeh, it's the same shit
>>
>>336099913
>>336099465
>It's impossible to dislike it! You didn't not like it!
Anon...
>>
File: 1440661624386.png (121 KB, 257x183) Image search: [Google]
1440661624386.png
121 KB, 257x183
>>336099465
>tfw unapologetically use undertale ringtones
oh yeah and the game was ok too i guess whatever the music is the only thing anyone actually cares about and the only reason this game is popular
>>
File: 1386306859085.jpg (18 KB, 373x519) Image search: [Google]
1386306859085.jpg
18 KB, 373x519
>>336111715
>the game was ok
FUCK OFF!
>>
>>336099465
the last single player game I enjoyed..
>>
>>336099465
Game's okay, literally everything else surrounding it (fandom, memes, forcing it into other IPs) is pure weapons grade fucking cancer.
>>
>>336101642
>Bonetrousle
you mean unfounded revenge?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ5W6k6NXvY
does this remind anyone else of flowey's theme?

precisely the part 10 seconds in
>>
>>336112876
Wow I can't believe Nintendo would blatantly rip off Toby like that. Despicable.

It's not the only one btw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FidRseJqy-8
>>
>>336114629
im in the "undertale is unoriginal" camp but that video is autistic and clearly being viraled here
>>
File: objectively.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
objectively.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>336101458
Composer here.

Your opinion is pretty shit. Not "my opinion is uninformed" shit. More like "my opinion stems solely from the fact I'm a braindead 12-years old who just started listening to music" shit.

>You're objectively wrong
>>
+10 rupees
>>
>>336114629
>Pretty much exactly the same

Does this retard even know the BASICS of composition?
>>
>>336099465
It's impressive how such a weak bait still manages to get replies.
>>
>>336115850
How is it bait when it's very clear sarcasm?
>>
>>336099465

>bait this obvious
>121 replies

one of these days i'm leaving this godawful place forever and finaly reach happiness
>>
>>336115850
>>336116227
It's not BAIT!
>>
>>336116227
Don't be a pussy with an exit bag. Jump off a building like a man.
>>
You can tell who hasn't played Undertale, based on their arguments. Just like you can tell who has been brainwashed by the MSM, based on their arguments against Trump.
>>
>>336099512
>tags
Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.