[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>finish blind no summon Dark Souls 3 playthrough >decide
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 11
File: ds.jpg (499 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ds.jpg
499 KB, 1280x720
>finish blind no summon Dark Souls 3 playthrough
>decide to play pic related
holly shit this is hard, die a lot, phantoms start to appear in the world. Dark Souls 3 is really casual tier babby shit.
>>
>>336000849
so far i have played DeS DaS and DaSII. i see no significant difficulty difference in them. except for SotfS, which had bad enemy placements.
>>
>>336000849
I don't know if I'd say Dark Souls 3 is just plain easier, but I think Demon's Souls is less straight forward. Your equipment and items matter a lot more, it's got item burden (I don't care what anyone says, item burden worked fantastically in DeS), level design and exploration have a more significant role, with the individual quirks of areas and their inhabitants requiring a little extra attention. Plus the tendency mechanics and such.
>>
>>336000849

I think you just need to get used to the way DeS plays and forget some of your DaS3 reflexes. I don't think it's significantly harder, it just plays a bit differently.
>>
>>336001218
what if we had a souls game with dark souls sense of isolation (no warping, risk and reward pushing forward) and demon souls equip load (how much can you hoard shit until you get to bonfire?)
>>
>>336001390
inventory management is shit
>>
File: lie.png (1 MB, 1166x676) Image search: [Google]
lie.png
1 MB, 1166x676
>>336000849
>>
>>336001390
Needlessly arduous and difficult to balance.
>>
Demon's Souls has the easiest bosses of the series. And the only hard area is the cliffs of the storm shrine area, with the crazy skeletons.

Of course, if you manage to get black tendency everywhere then it's pretty challenging.
>>
>>336001390
It would require a lot of balancing to work, but in theory would make for some tough decisions and choices it it works well.

I want one of these games with the variety of 2 and 3, the isolation of 1, the burden of DeS and the batshit insanity off BB. And make poise a visible bar under stamina in yellow or something. It doesn't increase with stats but gear only and when it runs out you stagger, and it regenerates slower than stamina.
>>
>>336001475
inventory management may be a chore when done wrong, but it is a core element of role-playing. i don't say role-play is the most important thing in souls but they certainly try to immerse you into the world.
>>
File: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).jpg (11 KB, 508x201) Image search: [Google]
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).jpg
11 KB, 508x201
>>336000849
I completely disagree. Playing DeS blind, I only died to two bosses once to Old Monk being played by a twink, twice to False King. Some of the areas were pretty harrowing at times - Latria, stereotypical poison swamp that's in every Souls game, latter areas of the Boletarian Palace - but it doesn't have shit on DaS3 in terms of difficulty, generally speaking.
>>
>>336001390
I'd probably like it.
I just love that Demon's Souls felt a bit more "survival" and a bit more "rpg" because you had to basically manage your inventory, and you had to be more careful when exploring. Not only because the level design was perhaps a bit more treacherous in general, but also because you wouldn't necessarily be able to pick up a big new armor, and of course, the penalty for dying was generally worse than in the DaS games.
DeS' mechanics just felt more true to its world to me. It felt like they designed the world and the mechanics were mostly just incidental things that came from that.
To be honest, DaS3 and Bloodborne just feel kind of like weirdly-structured action games to me. And that's really cool on its own and all, but after experiencing DeS, since the games are all very similar in many ways, it just feels like shit's missing from them as game experiences, and I can't bring myself to feel as compelled.
>>
I have never finished this game.

Should I? Do people still play online?
>>
>>336000849
I replayed DeS right before DaS3 hit, and Demon's is still my favorite in the Souls series so many years later.

I still much prefer not having an epik second form pop about halfway into every boss fight. Champ Gundyr getting serious halfway into the fight is lame as shit
>>
>>336002049
DeS had many small elements that made it feel more like a rpg. mana bar, luck stat, equip burden. big thing is the different and unique sounds of the worlds that build up the atmosphere. wind in 4-1, that pumping sound in 5-2, fire always burning somewhere in 1-1, ect.

dark souls had pretty much big dead silence.
>>
>>336001647
No, it's a chore and nothing more.
>>
>Play Demon Souls a year ago and never beat it
>Beat armor spider first try
>Play again now
>Can't beat Armor Spider
I don't even know what the fuck is going on with me. I've got an enchanted weapon, a good shield, what I think are good stats too but the fucker just destroys me.
>>
>>336002385
>I still much prefer not having an epik second form pop about halfway into every boss fight.
I'm not sure. It makes redoing the fights more tedious but it's also more interesting than a boss with just one moveset that does not change.
>>
>>336000849
You're just a little faggot aren't you? Have fun. Have fun sucking all those cocks, you faggot bitch
>>
>>336001218
> it's got item burden (I don't care what anyone says, item burden worked fantastically in DeS)

No. It's shit.

> Carrying around my stuff, not even hoarding just my equiped armour and a couple spare weapons plus consumables.
> Oh hey an item!
> "cannot pick this up because it would over burden you"
> Drop some stuff I don't really care about.
> still can't pick it up
> oh well
> Go back to Nexus, give Thomas everything I wasn't using at that exact moment.
> Return to level
> No item
> it's gone for the entire playthrough.

Defend that system, I never even picked up the item yet it vanishes if you don't take it the first time you attempt to pick it up, and there's no way of knowing if you can carry something until it's too late. If over burdened items were sent straight to Thomas it would be a good system, but it's not.

Same with World Tendancy, it's cool in theory but in reality it's terrible. Playing in human form is just not worth it because every accidental death fucks your world Tendancy and could result in locking you out of an NPC (and items) for a playthrough. And having it be affected by the sever average is completly ridiculous. World Tendancy should not have been tied to NPCs and secret areas, it should have just affected difficulty and added black phantom enemies.

I love Demons Souls, but it has some TERRIBLE design choices and is blatantly unfinished.
>>
>>336002385
Eh, every boss fight in DeS is even lamer than the first phases of DS3 boss fights. Boss fights that changes are fun and interesting, makes it more than just memorize the same 3 step pattern.
>>
>>336002461
Oh man, I know. The ambient sound design in DeS was great, and I felt it was seriously lacking in all of the subsequent games. There was some nice tonal ambience in BB, but it's ubiquitous, I'm pretty sure you hear it quietly everywhere, and so it loses its significance.
In general, I think DeS themed its areas perfectly. There were 5 unique, cohesive atmospheres, all very strong. Each area had its distinct color schemes, its distinct ambience, its distinct enemies, distinct level design (each world required a different sort of navigational mindset). In the other games that stuff feels a bit more arbitrary, a bit more homogeneous.
>>
>>336002697
>> "cannot pick this up because it would over burden you"
That means that you were hoarding a shit ton of stuff. Items vanishing when you can't pick them up is bullshit and I won't defend it, but you prbably were a little retard in this situation.
>>
>>336002697
only items that disappear are the enemy drops. you can always get them again. i don't remember if there were many important items tied to enemies that permadeath.
>>
File: 1461717730884.jpg (207 KB, 840x567) Image search: [Google]
1461717730884.jpg
207 KB, 840x567
>>336002808
DeS remaster with 6th archstone when ?
>>
>>336002860
No, I just had fairly low vitality (which was a dumb stat to tie Item Burden to) and was using fairly heavy equipment.
>>
>>336001647
It was shit in Demon's Souls.

>pick up item
>turns out it's a heavy weapon/armor set and you don't have enough space to carry it
>instead of going back to the corpse it just gets dropped so if you don't make room for it at that moment it'll disappear when you die/leave the area
>>
>>336002957
No, if you attempt to pick something up but can't, and then leave that item is gone.

Whatever was down the ladder in 1-1 is gone forever because apperently it weighed a ton.
>>
>>336003030
I guess you shouldn't have used heavy equipment.
>>
>>336002697
No, you're right in that case. The fact that items that you tried to pick up disappeared was bad. It's because of an oversight of the generalization of code, when you try to pick something up and can't, it counts it as you picking it up and (once it realizes you can't carry it) dropping it, and items categorized as "dropped" disappear when the level resets. It could have been fixed by simply checking your weight BEFORE it tries to pick it up, so it never has to "drop" the item, and it'll still be there when you come back. I can't defend that problem and I guess that would be a reason to say that item burden didn't exactly work fantastically in DeS, per se...
I think tendency and soul/human form could have been done better, but I like that they're there.
Also, the biggest incentive for me to play in human form wasn't a gameplay one. It was because in soul form you don't have footstep sounds and general armor sounds (which are very satisfying to me), and large weapons don't shake the screen and don't have big dust particles when they hit the ground, and are also missing a few sounds. So it's just a lot more satisfying and fittingly solid-feeling to play in human form. I'm not sure if I like that exactly as a design choice but I did think it was an effective incentive, for me.
>>
>>336003140
oh shit now i know what you are talking about. yeah it is totally gay. every run i have the problem in 3-1 when i try to pick up that gay ass armor or whatever downstairs. i don't get it why i can't remember that i never have the capacity to pick those fuckers up.
>>
I much prefer the Demons Souls approach to boss fights, where each one feels totally unique in the way you have to fight them. A couple of them were shit sure but on the whole I was looking forward to every encounter.
>>
>>336001595
You're supposed to get black world tendency anon, there are barely any events for white tendency compared to black.
>>
>>336004412
Its ironic how some will say the bosses were shit when in Dark Souls 3 many bosses, characters and items are direct references. Storm ruler and morion blade anyone?
>>
>>336000849
I don't get where this Demon's Souls is hard outlook comes from.
Maybe it's because I could run the game blindfolded by this point, but once you know where to go there isn't really any huge challenges.
There are a grand total of two bosses who're actual threats. The rest are just a matter of knowing how to approach it.
The only difficult part DeS has over the DaS series is Black Phantoms.
Black Phantoms are fucking horrifying in a way no other game captures.
>>
File: 1461993226443.gif (140 KB, 379x440) Image search: [Google]
1461993226443.gif
140 KB, 379x440
>>336000849
>beat DaS3 blind no summons
>then 100% it
>decide to play Demon's Souls
>beat it easily in 11 hours, didn't die once to man eaters or flamelurker
>go to NG+
>get fucking destroyed
Why does everything do so much damage in NG+? 2-1 on NG+ is way harder than 1-4 or 5-2 on NG which makes no sense.
>>
>>336004609
You mean like the black phantom versions of normal enemies? Like the black phantom mindflayers in 3-2?
>>
>>336004609
>Maybe it's because I could run the game blindfolded by this point

I think that just might have something to do with it.
>>
>>336002808
DeS is the best Souls game by a significant margin. Characters, sound design, music, art, and lighting were all better than the following games.
>>
Quick, post your favourite method of proceeding through the game!

> 1-1
Duh
> 1-2
It's really easy and gets you a reliable grass farming spot if you need it.
> 2-1
It's not bad if you have a pierce weapon (or magic) and gets you tons of upgrade materials.
> 4-1
It's pretty hard, but you get lots of good stuff and the boss is easy.
> 4-2
Asshole of a level, but with Thiefs Ring it's not bad. Easy souls and important NPC. Boss is trivialised with thief ring.
> 4-3
Gimmick boss that is pitifully easy. No level, just a boss.
> 2-3
Long and annoying level (but you can skip almost the entire thing), but has loads of crystal lizards. Boss is super hard, but he has to be killed at some point.
2-3
Easy gimmick fight, no level just a boss.
3-1
Mimdflayers are annoying but otherwise a pretty straightforward level. Very important NPC (come here much earlier on magic build).
> 3-2
Best level in the game. Not too tough because of Gargoyle AI, but centipedes will fuck you up and the boss is incredibly annoying.
> 3-3
For once a level before the arch demon, sadly it's just a staircase filled with annoying enemies. Boss is easy if it's an NPC, if it's a real player it's fun.
> 1-3
Fairly tough level, lots of important NPCs (Come here much earlier if you want The Witch). Boss is not too bad.
> 5-1
Annoying level, but not too bad. Boss is hilariously easy.
> 5-2
Most annoying part of the game. Especially if you trying to get all the items. Boss is again really easy.
> 5-3
Pretty much just a boss unless you want to tread Plauge-Baby swamp for items. Boss is really easy but really cool nonetheless.
> 1-4
Dragon is bullshit and is very hard to reliably avoid. Once it's dead level becomes empty though. Boss is fantastic but also very hard. Good "final" boss.
> Finale
Duh.
>>
>>336004609
A lot of the difficulty of DeS comes from having a lack of knowledge and punishing the player for it.
It has always been a staple in jap gamedesign that games, levels and systems are set up so that you will fail the first few times when playing tha game blind, but once you learned the levelayout, the different mechanics, movement patterns, etc. a lot of games only take minimal to medium skill in execution.
The souls series is no differnet, though the games have progressively become less and less punishing and less focused on this aspect of fucking over a non-knowledgeable player and gotten conversely higher in a demand for skill of execution.
TL;DR
Basically your first time playing DeS will be hard as balls, but after a while it becomes piss easy.
DaS3 on the other hand might start out a lot easier and friendlier than DeS, but the decline of difficulty when your knowledge about the game rises is not as steep as in DeS.
>>
>>336004990
Through the arch stones from left to right.
>>
>>336005294
>not going to the level with the best starting weapon for your build instead
>>
>>336004990
it depends on build i'm going for. most of the time i'm immediately going for 2-1 and 2-2 to upgrade my weapon to full raw. (the one that scales with str, i think it was raw in this game)

if i use some specific weapon i may want to get that first too, like i once ran to get lucrene from 5-2 and then went to world 2 to upgrade it.

that is the fun thing in DeS, you can chooce whatever route you wish. DaS is more interconnected but there are only one path you are supposed to go really. it opens up later on though and with master key you can do few tricks.
>>
>>336004586
Yeah. I think Dark Souls 3 is the best Dark souls and had a good DeS vibe to it. I don't understand people saying yhorm was shit. It wasn't hard but damn was it cool, just like Storm king
>>
>>336005319
Wouldn't that mean picking up the crescent falchion on every first playthrough?
>>
>>336005510
Pretty much.
>>
>>336000849
>play magic or faith build
>cheese the whole game

DeS is easy as fuck even world tendency are piss easy if you know what to do.
>>
What's the best weapon to use for pure PvE? I thought the Meat Cleaver would be great due to it's S/S scaling but apparantly it's worse than the Halberd.
>>
>>336000849
I did the same, so far I think its pretty easy except for the dogs which have clear stunlock/camera jank issues.

I really like the level design but man that first boss (slug shield thing) is retarded, they couldn't just do a normal fucking fight, it has to be a multi enemy, experimental, camera jank, healing, attack clipping through walls heap of shit.
>>
>>336005768
They literally give you items that makes that boss fight a joke throughout the entire level
>>
>>336005826
Yes it is a joke, you are correct, that was my point, was it not?
>>
>>336005619
>>play magic
you're a fucking casual.
>>
>>336005294
Literally the worst possible thing you can do.

>>336004990
>1-1
>2-1
>some of 5-1
Just until I reach the Blessed Mace. I love 5-1, though.
>4-1
Gotta open up dat grinding spot in 4-2. Also, Crescent Falchion.
>1-2
>3-1

And the rest really just depends.
>>
>>336005894
>not playing magic at minimum Vitality and in Soul Form permanently so that you can't get hit at all and have to git gud

Did it for NG+++ in DeS. Hard as shit, about as far from casual as you can get.
>>
>>336005209
That's true. In DeS things tended to be challenging through certain gimmicks and "idiosyncrasies" if you will, as opposed to a being solely skill based.
But I actually think that it works for Souls to be initially a bit unfair to the player, and to punish them for not having certain knowledge instead of skill. That's what made the messaging system so significant. I think that style of gameplay helped reinforce the idea that you were one among many, venturing into a really dangerous place and truly exploring it together in a way. It may at times come off as cheap or too easy or unfair but I think that design approach positively contributed to the game.
>>
Man I really hate the fact you need to start the level all over again when you die, or maybe I just never made it to the first checkpoint. It just really grinds my gears to have to go trough a gazillion enemies that are easy just to get to the part where I am having trouble.
>>
>>336006389
This is really why DeS is harder than Dark and BB.

Most of you probably don't remember, but when Bonfires were announced for DaS, we were crying Souls was casualized because levels now had checkpoints.
>>
>>336005894
magic/faith is the only viable build for ng+ since ng is so much harder.
>>
>>336005487
>I think Dark Souls 3 is the best Dark souls
Me too. The DeS flavors really improved the game. Fromsoft needs to rebalance the dark sword and estoc though.

Actually you know what. It shows that by making the game somewhat like DeS in speed, you can take down the Bloodborne-like but not quite bosses in Dark Souls 3.
>>
>>336006465
DeS has the shortcut system though. It depends on the area but you're usually rewarded at the end of the level. Only BB did the same though
>>
>>336005991
Anon, that's not hard. This is how people speedrun the game.
>>
>>336006465
DeS is the easiest souls game however.
>>
>>336006561
You have literally never played NG+ in DeS.

Enemies hit like fucking trucks in anything past NG, even if you have 40+ Vitality.
>>
>>336006534
Weren't straight swords rebalanced in the latest patch ?
>>
>>336006646
>those red eye skeletons in ng+
fuck me
>>
>>336006649
Patch notes on 1.04 only say "Greatsword". So I assume only greatsword class weapons of just the Greatsword itself was changed.
>>
>>336006646
Yeah it almost feels like you're a NG character hit by first level mobs, it's crazy
>>
>>336006776
Ok. I had heard about the straight swords being in the patch but I guess it was bullshit then
>>
>>336006813
So you didn't play the game? You can easily take 5+ hits from the miners on NG with 10 vit but in NG+ you die in 2-3 hits from them with 30-40 vit
>>
>>336006930
No bully. It's been a while since I played. I remembered the NG mobs being worse than that.
>>
>>336002808
>that first time you realize your footsteps don't have sound when you're dead

Man that game was fucking awesome.
>>
>>336005619
You don't even need to do that, DeS is the easiest game in the series. The only thing that makes it a challenge as a whole is that it has by far the most trial and error in the series
>>
>>336001012
Depends in your playstyles. I felt in Demon's Souls you're far squishier and that enemy placement in the more confined, linear levels made it more difficult.
>>
>>336001012
>SotfS, which had bad enemy placements.

No you just suck at rolling.
>>
>>336007167
>trial and error

Outside of 4-2 invisible chucklefucks in the cave, what do you mean?
>>
>>336006168
I actually do as well and my analysis wasn't meant to be criticism.
I actually really enjoy that eastern design philosophy where the game get's progresively easier the more you learn about it and thus incentivises you to learn the game.
Of course it's always a balance act and DaS3 has this declining difficulty as well - just not as steep of a curve that DeS had. It's always a balance act.

A thing about messages thogh. I am kind of dissappointed this time around. In DaS1&2 messages were helpful, but at release only showed me a portion of secrets.
In DaS3 there basically only was one secret I found myself without messages guiding me to it and that was because I was offline at that time.
I kind of feel that the staggered release coupled with streaming culture still killed a lot of the discovery about the game for those who actually tried to avoid watching streams, simply because the community as a whole had about a month time to learn where everything is, before we actually got to play the game.
I blame Bamco
>>
DeS had some cool shit but the worst bosses in the series by far.
>>
>>336007310
Nothing can be worse than bed of chaos.
>>
>>336007351
Dragon God says hello
>>
>Soul arrow will never look as pretty in Dark Souls games as they did in Demons Souls
>You will never see a more beautiful miracle animation in Dark Souls as Anti-Magic Field.
>You will never "send" invaders and phantoms back to their home world in Dark Souls games with the "Banish" Spell as seen in Demons Souls.
This could solve all the gank squad problems.
>Oh shit 3 sundorks and a host.
>Cast banish and hit the phantoms
>Sent back to their homes
>Now PVP in Dark Souls 3 is balanced.
>>
>>336007351
Dragon God is worse than bed of chaos, atleast if you die in bed of chaos the fight doesn't reset and you can abuse that fact aswell by quiting the game during the fight. Dragon God you have to wait and wait and it's boring as fuck.
>>
>>336007404
Oh boy, I almost got baited.
>>
>>336007351
Dragon God
Storm King
Maiden Astreea (not even a boss, just an NPC fight with Velstadt Junior)
>>
>>336007553
kill yourself
>>
>>336006554
Some levels didn't have shortcuts though, which was pretty annoying. I think an elevator that bypassed the cliff face in 4-2 would have really helped, same with 5-1 which also didn't have a shortcut I think.

1-4 didn't have one either, the level want hard at all once the dragon was dead (Litterally 2 Knights and 2 fat officials) but having to run all that distance every time Allant killed you was just annoying.

2-2's "shortcut" was actually just a skip and didn't need unlocking which was weird, you could b-line straight for Flamelurker and skip 90% of the level.

1-1, 1-4, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2 and 5-2 all had cool shortcuts though.

Bloodborne had the best level level design in the series, it followed DeS conventions of a single Lamp with shortcuts, but levels were much bigger and sometimes we're very complicated (Central Yharnam best map in series, large, multiple paths, 3 shortcuts, very vertical, one lamp). Dark Souls 3 had some good levels but WAAAAY too many bonfires, Cathederal of the Deep was the only one that felt like a DeS/BB level.
>>
>>336007613
Sorry for dropping truth bombs on your bubble of fantasy.
>>
>>336007264
1-1 dragon
Pill bugs or whatever they are in 2-2
The safe way down the shaft in 2-2
Fighting the wardens in general in 3-1/3-2
Simply finding your way through 5-1 and 5-2 without status effects draining all your health and resources
Those hyper armour fuckers in the swamp in 5-2

I'm not saying the other games don't have trial and error, but DeS excelled at fucking you over with it the most. When you finally do get to a boss, it's often a relief because they're usually way easier than the level to get to them.
>>
I beat the game a few times and I still don't understand World Tendency.
>>
Play nioh fagget
>>
>>336007642
what the fuck are you talking about with these lamps

is a lamp bbs bonfire equivalent?
>>
>>336007694
DeS also punsihed you much harder for errors than the later games, further contributing to the trial and error kind of difficulty of older 8-16 bit style games.
>>
>>336007825
Not him but yes, lamps are bonfires in BB.
>>
>>336007694
>pill bugs
Do you mean when they explode? Because they have a "detonation" animation.

>wardens
?

>5-1/5-2
Giant club fucks make sense to have near infinite poise. They're slow as fuck though, so it balances out.

Buy grass if you have trouble with 5-1, you can hold 99 on your person
>>
>>336007243
>adaptability
KEK
>>
>>336007642
5-1 seems to have a shortcut but I have no idea how to access it. (it's right before the first giant depraved one)
>>336007694
No shit if you go to two dragons you are going to die.
The bear bugs are slow as shit
You can clearly see where you have to drop down
How are they trial and error?
The way to go is pretty obvious however.
Giant depraved ones are pretty tough but they aren't trial and error.
>>336007825
Lamps are literally the same thing as the DeS archstones
>>
File: 1456589309323.gif (137 KB, 173x241) Image search: [Google]
1456589309323.gif
137 KB, 173x241
>>336007857
>that random rock that fall on your head in 5-1 near the boss that only happens the first time you cross the bridge
>>
>>336000849

But, demon's souls is by far the easiest in the series
>>
>>336007887
All attacks in the game can be successfully rolled at level 1 deprived, you just need milisecond perfect rolls.
This has been already shown in a ton of SL1 run videos.
>>
>>336007984
>all attacks in the game can be dodged if you're an autistic robot

great game design from
>>
>>336008192
Not an argument.
>>
File: stebenbolynu.jpg (103 KB, 728x843) Image search: [Google]
stebenbolynu.jpg
103 KB, 728x843
>>336008231
get outta here
>>
>>336008231
>defending essentially frame perfect roll timing

for what purpose?
>>
>>336004445
Too bad the only way to get black tendency is to die a lot (which would be on purpose considering it's the easiest souls game). I miss the Halloween event.

The tendency thing was flawed but a very cool concept, I wish they had brought it back with some fixes.
>>
>>336007281
>In DaS3 there basically only was one secret I found myself without messages guiding me to it and that was because I was offline at that time.
That was basically the same with me. DeS to me felt like an exploration game in a way, with all its mechanics coming to support that exploratory experience, and it ended up working perfectly with the community of the game too. I feel BB and DaS3 specifically decided the action was the central focus. And to have the action be the focus while still having the base of DeS really dilutes the things left over from DeS, in my opinion. Especially in BB. To me I appreciated the complexity of some of the level design but it felt so arbitrary when the focus of the gameplay was on the action and exploration was only a means of killing more enemies.
Plus the community is a lot bigger. I'm really not sure how much of it is the design and how much of it is just the different, expanded community.
>>
>>336008493
One shot doesn't mean what you think it means
>>
>>336008278
It's not frame perfect, otherwise a human would not be able to do it.
It's just a slightly smaller window of invincibility - 8 iframes instead of 12 for DS1's midroll and 15 for fast roll.

You just have to learn to roll very late and you'll never get hit once you get the timings down even at SL1.
>>
>>336008604
>It's not frame perfect, otherwise a human would not be able to do it.
If you gave me one cent everytime a speedrunner said: "that's a frame perfect jump" I would be a fucking millionaire by now.
>>
>>336008419
>Too bad the only way to get black tendency is to die a lot

Don't forget you have to do it every fucking time you start the game if playing online.
>>
>>336007887
literally git gud
>>
>>336002168
You still see ghosts around but it takes forever to try and invade someone. It was my first souls game and while i absolutely love every game in the series, it is the one of which I enjoyed the most playing trough it the first time. It's a bit rough around the edges however, and I do find it somewhat difficult to return to after playing the other games. If you had never played a souls game before I would definately recommend you start with DeS, but having played the newer ones first chances are that you might not enjoy it as much as the rest. If you're really into souls you should play it though
>>
File: 1461973520796.png (166 KB, 645x580) Image search: [Google]
1461973520796.png
166 KB, 645x580
>>336008493
Grass was broken if you farmed for it.
>needs to abuse healing to beat bosses
>complains it's easy
Makes sense.
>one shot
smdh
>Am I the only fucking sane person
You're pretty dumb desu.
>>
>>336008721
Yeah that too, trying to manage your world tendencies to get certain loot was a pain in the ass
>>
>>336008670

To be fair, most speedrunners at least acknowledge that level of precision in timing is very luck based and they aren't guaranteed to pull it off every time. It's a little different from someone claiming they can consistently do frame perfect rolls in a Souls game.
>>
I was probably doing something terribly wrong but when I was playing DeS, I got helplessly stuck on Firelurker. Still have a lot of respect for that game, even though I played through all the other SoulBornes.

Demons Souls music is so damn good, a good 60% of the DaS OST is just frantic orchestra and DeS slow music still stands out from it.

Seeing all the recycled ideas and references that stem from DeS in all DaS games just shows how much of a creative accomplishment that game was when it came out, even when there are Berserk excerpts for almost any of them aswell. Which is totally cool and fine.
>>
File: 1442033685702.jpg (15 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1442033685702.jpg
15 KB, 320x240
>>336000849
>mfw I made the grave mistake of going through world 1 and 2 first so everything else was too much of a cakewalk in comparison
>>
>>336004990

1-1
1-2 use the souls from the boss and buy a shitton of arrows and kill the dragon
2-1 Cheese the armor spider with my bow
2-2 Either cry like a bitch at Flamelurker or use magic to make him my bitch
2-3
4-1
3-1 Roll through the volleys
3-2 Sometimes cheese the fight by shooting the maneater through the fog
3-3 Honorable duel
4-1 Dragon-something weapon
4-2
4-3 Either duel or snipe depending on how I feel
1-3 SO DEEP IN MY ASS
1-4 Bravely slay the dragon by shooting him in the chin
>>
>>336009654
>shooting him in the chin

FOR BIOOORRR
>>
>>336009521
>I got helplessly stuck on Firelurker.
Fast rolling helps a lot with that boss, DeS mostly encourages you to use a shield but flamelurker is the boss where fast rolling is pretty much needed to win.
>>
>>336004627
>Kill the Maiden in black to get the beast soul
>Use it to get 300k souls
>Holy shit this is awesome !
>Forget you can't spend souls until you finish the 1-1
>Get fucking destroyed by NG+ difficulty

It was one of the most intense moments of gaming in my life when I playd to get back my souls knowing that mistakes aren't allowed.
>>
>>336009762
He's really easy once you learn how to roll, still the best fight in the game though. If you want to make him even easier, the spell that ups fire resistance a lot doesn't require a lot of investment.
>>
>>336004990
>start at SL1
>finish 1-1
>get the Crescent Falscion
>finish the game with only a few death to Fake Allant and Maneaters

The DeS SL1 run took me like a quarter of the time the ones from DS1 and DS2 took me.
>>
I played 1 leading up to 3 on the PC for a few weeks.

Bosses in 1 are harder overall. O&S being on another level entirely compared to all in 3.

I've found standard enemies to be harder in 3, though. They move around a lot faster, and they'll stagger your ass to death.
>>
>>336008419
>which would be on purpose considering it's the easiest souls game

It's the most difficult souls game I've played and I've played them all except for BB.
>>
>>336009886
Besides world 4, DeS is piss easy even without the existence of poise. Also garbage bosses.

The only way DeS is "hard" if you don't find the cling ring and end up with black tendency everywhere.
>>
>>336009886
How? The only challenging enemies aside from NPCs are the red eyed skeletons. The only hard boss is False King. I think the difficulty in Souls games is very overrated, but Demon's difficulty is the most overrated.
>>
the main difficulty (annoyance) of demon's souls is running a long way to every fucking boss.
>>
>>336005356
> DaS is more interconnected but there are only one path you are supposed to go really
What. Since the start there are two paths (one for each bell). Then Anor Londo and then you have 5 different paths to choose from, without including DLC.
>>
>>336008419
I don't think the concept itself is flawed, just the execution of it was bad.
Having levels shift around adding new enemies or traps the more you die could be really cool.
The problems stem from the fact that you have a very limited amount of ways to move toward white tendency (especially since coop is pretty much ded) and that it reset everytime to the server median you played a new session online.

I also dislike the heavy gating of quite a lot of items, spells and especially upgrade materials, behind the system, though if it was easier to manipulate tendenicies that would not be as big of a thing.

I kind of feel like the bonfire ascetics were a try at emulating that system without having it broken like in DeS.
They changed part of the levels, added new enemies and made existing ones stronger, while granting additional treasure.

Though the ascetic system felt a lot more static and boring compared to tendencies.

For me I'd probably like a tendency like system, but without resetting to server median, every death counting towards it (so you can't cheat the system ba constantly being in soul/hollow/whatever form) and the abillity to easier control it via an NSC.
Maybe let you pay X amount of souls or even special currency like humanity/insight/menstrual blood in order to either move it up or down on the tendency scale.
Also let the system change the world more than it did. Especially more/less traps and shortcuts in darker/brighter tendencies would be awesome as fuck.
>>
If you die does world tendency update or does it only update when you go back to the Nexus?
>>
I've played DeS first and I honestly don't understand how anyone finds it to be difficult. Nothing in the game deals any damage and the level layouts are the most forgiving.
>>
>>336011034
I think it updates after a nexus trip.
>>
>>336011246
Alright, just wanted to know since the black phantom and primeval demon in Boletarian Palace are so far away from each other.
>>
>>336011242
People just can't logic that your first encounter with a souls game can be your hardest because you're shit, not because the game is hard.
>>
>european server tendency for boletarian palace is pure white
god dam it
>>
>>336011643
>tfw miralda fell to her death and the primevel demon didn't drop a soul
fuck this game
>>
>>336013765
The primeval demon shit is my biggest gripe with the game probably.
Though you can cheat the system by immediatly shutting down the console if it does not drop anything since the auto saving takes quite a while and it does not save regularily.
YOu could even do the same with crystal lizards if one wanted to, but it shouldn't simply be theis way and those colorless demon's souls should be 100% drops.
>>
>>336000849
The only thing that fucks me a lot besides the RNG on the maneaters is how the roll is more clunky than in DaS.
>Want to roll back
>Joystick is not completely in the down direction
>Character rolls on the side, falls to his death

That's really the only thing that keeps fucking me up in this game. The rest is more vicious than on DaS (there's no excuse for the giant ghoul two-hit combo instant death in the valley of defilement) and the game wasn't thought to be played with a pure melee character.
>>
>DeS
>Brought the series into the modern era, really innovative for its time
>DaS
>Basically the same game but with minor improvements
>DaS2
>Bloodborne
>Brought the series into current gen, innovates the gameplay and has unique story/lore
>DaS3

Conclusion: DeS and BB are the only games that really stand out

Inb4 mad PCucks
>>
>>336015763
Yeah it's really weird how when you lock on you can only roll in 4 directions
>>
>>336015996

DaS put the series on the map, DeS wasn't nearly as popular or widespread.
>>
File: DON'T.jpg (22 KB, 299x213) Image search: [Google]
DON'T.jpg
22 KB, 299x213
>>336015996
>DaS
>>
>>336016093

>DaS brought all the casuals in

Not helping your argument
>>
I recently bought DeS, but I can't get into it. I don't like that it's level by level compared to Dark Souls I and Bloodborne (and to a lesser extent III), how do I get over this and just play the game?
>>
>>336016590
Just fucking get over it.
>>
>>336016590
I felt the exact same
Once you complete the game you'll look back on it and realize how good it was
>>
File: 20160428195652_1.jpg (327 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160428195652_1.jpg
327 KB, 1920x1080
sigh
>>
>>336000849
I don't understand how anyone could have this opinion. DeS is only hard when the would tendency is black. Bloodborne (and to a lesser extent DaS3) are far harder due to the enemies having the ability to always be next to the character when they attack. In the new Souls games placement means nothing and the games over rely on last second dodging which does make them harder games but I would argue worse as well.
>>
>>336016734
>the game isnt even good until its over

Holy fuck...
>>
The way they cut off his sword by the stairs at the bottom makes it look like he's a giant resting
>>
>>336000849
Demon's is the pinnacle of the series... it's downhill from there -- starting with a subtle slide at DkS and ending up in an uncontrollable careen at '2' onwards
>>
>>336017375

>That garbage reading comprehension

Holy fuck...
>>
>no greatsword has ever came close to DRAGON BONE SMASHER
why? this shit had the perfect GS moveset and every other GS has been less powerful and less interesting
>>
>>336017549
Bloodborne>DaS>DaS3=DeS>>>>>>DaS2
>>
>>336000849
Some Black phantoms and NG+ were 2hard4me.
>>
>>336007553
>Dragib God
>Storm King
>Maiden Astraea

But those are among the best bosses of the series anon, you might just suffer from shit taste.
>>
>>336000849
Dark souls 3 is by far the easiest game. With dark souls 2 being the 2nd easiest.

Demon souls is the hardest and dark souls is the second hardest.
Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.