[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dune has a better universe than warhammer 40k and is more adaptable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 4
File: Dune-Fan-Art-06082015.jpg (336 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
Dune-Fan-Art-06082015.jpg
336 KB, 970x545
Dune has a better universe than warhammer 40k and is more adaptable to fun games. Also, dune 2k is better than dawn of war2.
>>
okay
>>
>>335934090
You are ok anon
>>
>>335933670
Too bad that dune wouldnt be acceptable today
>>
>>335934506
Why not ?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLVX-qlqd7k

Is this the most memorable RTS track ever?
Nothing else comes to mind
>inb4 some generic C&C wubwub
>>
Dune and 40k are two different things so why even bother comparing them
>>
>>335934506

I disagree. It's just politically charged enough to get some critical acclaim.

However I doubt anyone will touch its license again until it goes free
>>
>>335934712
Dune 2k had some legit songs as well
https://youtu.be/bQ2mUSz-8W0
>>
>>335934647
They would make a fuss about the drug use in he lore and probably fuck the entire lore up
>>
>>335933670
>We'll never get the amazing Dune RPG the world deserves
There is no god
>>
>>335934506
only female army, because it is "better"

bruh the books reek of feminism
>>
>>335934869
Yeah frank herberts son or whoever is a real dick about it actually

>>335934816
They are both Sci fi universes, what's so different that you cannot compare ?
>>
Lets change the topic a little bit
Wich one was your favourite book
Also thougths on the prequels
>>
>>335934957
The best.
>>
Planetside 2 style dune FPS.

As fremen you can attempt to summon a great maker however it takes skill to ride one effectively and draws a lot of attention so it's a massive gamble.

Game revolves around harvesting from and controlling spice fields.

Carryalls and harvesters are both player controlled and need to act in carefully orchestrated manuevers to avoid enemies and sandworms
>>
>>335934978
You don't think the world is ready for more fremmen ??
>>
>>335935068
god emperor of dune
>>
>>335935014
They would say the are used as sex objects and I dont want any sjw near my dear dune pls
>>
>>335933670
fuck no, unless you mean grand strategy / political games dune would not make for a better setting
>>
>>335933670
They both have extreme hatred towards machines (Abominable Intelligence Edict / Butlerian Jihad), both are grimdark edgelord ground, the rest is vastly different, and it is more like comparing apples to oranges.
>>
>>335935098
Now THIS I can stand behind. If you do 3 factions which you choose ? Fremmen harkonen and atredies? Maybe one of the mercenary factions ?
>>
>>335935173

Just spin it that they use sex as a weapon to manipulate and control the galaxy, add some inter-bene gesserit action and they'll be appeased
>>
>>335935262
Machines would be better for gameplay
>>
>>335935206
What setting is 40k better for? Rts games dune easily takes the cake. 40k is too imbalanced and full of bull shit
>>
>>335935230
>both are grimdark edgelord ground

How the fuck is Dune grimdark?
>>
>>335935378
Because muh emperor, muh spice barons.

He has no idea
>>
>>335935042
Dune is more nuanced and philosophical, everything about it serves its greater themes

40k is all about overpowered bullshit killing each other with some decent stories on the side
>>
>>335934506
>>335934647
Try publishing anything about (space)Muslims if you're not a Muslim.
>>
The spice... must flow.
>>
>Dune has a better universe than warhammer 40k
Almost everything is "better" than 40K.
>>
>>335935468
It's true, and as a result we have no good dune games. Fuck
>>
>>335933670

You can't because as part of the canon the superiority of certain units is determined by planetary factors and treated as objectively true by the narrative. This makes the emphasis on the political decisions easier to digest as you know what would happen in a conflict objectively. You couldn't keep to the Dune canon and make a balanced game.

Their's a much stronger emphasis on the combat in the W40K universe. The units are balanced somewhat by the narrative to create tension in the story. Obviously, characters important to the plot have some serious plot armour but that doesn't change the larger scale of conflicts and the expectation of the weakness's and strengths of certain units and races.
>>
>>335935378
>>335935454
Dunedrones, explain to me how God-Emperor Leto is not literally EMPRAH, also explain to me which of the factions/houses/call them whatever, and the setting are not grimdark.
Could it be that when I read some Dune books I just got the vibe of grimdark? Did I simply misunderstand the setting, then?
>>
>>335935262

The mercenary factions fight for you , and you can use their tech, if you control their regions on arrakis

Getting vehicles stems from using spice credits at space ports, need to defend the transports as they break orbit.

Vehicle hijacking mechanics so that you need foot soldier/armor coordination to avoid getting overrun and your vehicle stolen.

Constant worry of wormsign in the back of your mind, having to track it constantly. With the worms themselves being advanced AI that goes so far as trying to herd your troop movements.

It's the game I've always wanted
>>
>>335935587
Dune 2k did a good job of balance the game around the factions, even if they made one up
>>
I only read the first one and I hated it. Paul is a Gary Stu piece of shit. The Harkonens are at least entertaining for how laughably evil they are. The problem is the book tries to make Paul look like the good guy by making his enemies completely batshit evil instead of actually making him a likeable character. At least in 40k I get the feeling you're not really supposed to like anybody since they are all assholes, but I don't really know much about it. All I know about 40k is what people talk about here.
>>
>>335935784
In order to make the game palatable to the Dune fans the "good guys" fremen won the conflict. They had to, as the narrative demands that as the only possible outcome or the entire canon of the Dune universe fall apart.

In W40K losing a planet happens as part of some stories. That would simply be impossible with the Dune canon.
>>
>>335935704
EMPRAH

what does that even mean?

the setting is pretty desprate or at least it seems so, I give you that.
But there is a lot of love and hope too.
>>
>>335935468
isnt 40k about men vs himself and neccessary evil? the reason the setting get so contrived is because it is a tabletop game, not a book franchise.
>>
>>335935726
Don't tease me like this anon please...
>>
File: 1454071096715.png (426 KB, 871x686) Image search: [Google]
1454071096715.png
426 KB, 871x686
>>335935158
My nigga.
>>
>>335936025
Does it have to be that way even if the game was an on going conflict Ala planet side 2 as anon above was suggesting ?
>>
>>335936336
When did Piccard play this ? Was this the dune movie ?
>>
>Dune
>Paul is constantly shitting his pants about the jihad, trying to beat the harkonnens without inspiring mass genocide
>he ends up saying fuck it and becomes a fucking god head ditactor, even his mom says he's lost his father's compassion and is now just his brutal grandfather
>Dune Messiah
>Paul is currently murdering billions of people and trying to get out of it
>He evades getting assassinated and becomes the ultimate immortal matyr by exiling himself to the desert, becoming the fremen figurehead for eternity
Holy shit what a cunt. I don't even want to keep reading.
>>
>>335936438
Yes
He's gurney halleck
The Dune movie is...interesting?
>>
>>335936628
I watched it so long ago I don't even remember it. Wasnt spike in it too?
>>
Dune II is the mother of all RTS and still better than 90% of those that came after it. I still fire up dosbox and play that shit all the time.
>>
>>335936697
>spike
You mean Sting? He's Feyd
>>
>>335936697
I think you mean Sting
>>
>>335936013
Paul isnt really a Gary Stu, he's engineered to be a genetic freak and just wants to prevent having too much destruction. It dosent really make him look like a good guy either, he does some really suspect shit in both parts 2 & 3 of the first book.
>>
>>335935158
Literally the only correct answer.
Dune is also acceptable.
>>
>>335936359

Dune is all about being born for a specific purpose. The first book is essentially a coming of age tale for the emperor of the universe.

The Fremen live on the harshest planet for life, they are therefor born to survive against the odds, in the story this makes them unbeatable soldiers when given their leaders "voice".

Dune might make a decent civilization game, like galciv, but not an rts. Theirs no tension in the story and anything where the fremen look like losing with equal numbers is laughable to the canon.

They're very different story's which follow similar dystopian themes.
>>
>>335936628

The art direction was fucking amazing but they blew all their budget on a handfull of amazing scenes, but then had to stick some semblance of a narrative together between them with what money they had left.

Not to mention the actors were god awful.

Visually stunning, very memorable, but leaves a person with a really bad taste in your mouth and a constant craving for what could have been....
>>
>>335936816
>>335936884
Sting lmao yeah

Man thats funny, I really need to watch it again
>>
>>335936190
EMPRAH is how Emperor in 40k can be mockingly referred as, seeing as to how people scream out his name.
>>
>>335935352
>machines
Fuck off Brian
>>
>>335936938

The existing dune RTS's solved this problem by taking place much earlier in the canon, as ancient disputes between the great houses for the control of arrakis, before paul was even a twinkle in the bene gesserit's eye
>>
>>335935158
>liking Idaho and Noree smut

Even Renegades was better.
>>
>A dune thread
>Reminder that STILL have not finished children of dune

Better start reading
Also post that dune smash bros pic.
I main Paul all day every day, he is basically Shulk with dark hair and no eyes
>>
>>335936540
>he ends up saying fuck it and becomes a fucking god head ditactor, even his mom says he's lost his father's compassion and is now just his brutal grandfather
This does not happen in the movie or the book but okay.
>>
>>335936784
i agree brah, the dune universe just has so much substance and depth. I'm genuinely surprised there isn't a mmorpg around it.

>instead of different provinces and kingdoms you travel around the universe to different factional planets
>classes based on different factions
>factional wars similar to Aion(?)
>guilds can be like space conglomerate like what they have in EVE, with special ties to specific factions.
>basically Star Citizen but infinintely better because dune.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
>>
>>335937143
I mean Heretics, it's been a long time.
>>
>>335937034
Really only boreale.
>>
>>335936784
Did you enjoy dune 2k at all? More red alert ish but still very fun to me. I liked the life cut scenes, even a different ending per faction
>>
>>335935173
letho 2 is literally a cuckold
it is very hard not to see how this would not fit right into modern nu male and feminist mentality
>>
>>335935704
Dune isn't really grimdark desu, Leto was basically a belevolent tyrant and his death causes a massive diaspora which ensures mankind's survival (one of the major themes of the franchise)
>>
File: guild-navigator.jpg (106 KB, 1277x543) Image search: [Google]
guild-navigator.jpg
106 KB, 1277x543
fuckin' spacing guild freaked me the fuck out.

I thought that the metaphor was for programmers or even the large modern day corporations, but speaking to someone about it I realized that the guild and the slugs basically represent the apathy of the first world.

We're all the slugs.
>>
>>335937034
bruh nearly everybody hates/despises leto 2
he is a tyrant and that on purpose
>>
>>335937687
Wasn't this attempted to be shown in dune 2000 with the "ordos" faction
>>
>>335937184
yeah none of that shit happened

it was more like Paul trying to avoid a Jihad but knew there was no way to contain the energy of his new religion. He basically chose to forsaken his prescience (and the dangers of taking a prophesied choice) by taking action that is outside of what he predicted in his vision.

All the events precipitated in the birth of Paul II who decided to channel the religious energy to give birth to an entirely new kind of empire.
>>
>>335937775

never played 2000, the difference in aesthetic between it and 2 were too uncanny valley for me
>>
love how the op tried to bait w40k people but instead everyone's just talking about how cool dune is.
>>
>>335937775
no, ordos was mentioned in the books as a minor house; not a major political player like the atredies or the harkonnen.
>>
>>335937875
It was the same engine as c&c red alert used iirc

They had ordos, harkonen, and atredies, but Fremmen could be built by atredies. So they were kind of merged. Ordos was creepy space guys. Just Google "dune 2000 cinematic" and watch. The general of atredies was even the same guy who played "gimli" in lotr. All star cast
>>
>>335937910
Rly, I don't remember them even mentioned in the books, I assumed they were made up or supposed to represent some other mercenary faction
>>
>>335937910

I always wondered why they moved to make them a major playable house in dune 2. Why not just have it as a harkonnen vs artredies thing.

I guess they really wanted a 3 house dynamism thing in the campaign.

Also, homeworld deserts of kharak fueled a deep seated desire for a good dune RTS built on a modern engine.
>>
>>335937687
I kinda agree with the apathy thing, but I saw it as the slug being different from us. An extraordinarily powerful "person" who is literally different to us. It doesn't have apathy it just sees us in the same way we see an ant, just a single number of trillions and we see it as a big, disgusting,... thing that's only technically human.
>>
>>335938212

I can see that, but the slug is also the ideal. If we're the guilders, then the slug is the pinnacle we all strive for. And honestly this is exactly how corporate CEO's are, and they're heralded as our modern day idols
>>
>>335937910
Ah I Google it, they weren't even mentioned in the books it said, but were in the non-Canon dune encyclopedia, from planet sigma draconis IV
>>
>>335938456
>And honestly this is exactly how corporate CEO's are, and they're heralded as our modern day idols
no...they're not. Athletes, actors and musicians are worshiped far more than CEOs

and being a CEO isnt some glamorous thing, its a shitload of work and decision making, if you dont have your shit together your company wont make it and you've cost alot for yourself and the people around you
>>
>>335938814

So you've never heard some asshat say they want to be the next steve jobs?
>>
>>335938976
Asshats say alot of things, but do you understand why Steve Jobs is so renowned?
>>
Daily reminder that Emperor Battle for Dune has one of the best and most underappreciated soundtracks ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxi3YwNxVpc
>>
>>335939081
Because he was Buddhist?
>>
>>335936025
>That would simply be impossible with the Dune canon.
confirmed for literally never having read the dune novels
but then again
>40k fans
>proper reading
>>
I've not played the Dune games, and I blow ass at RTS, but I've been trying to get into some RTS games for a few days now. Should I give it a shot? How beginner friendly is it?
>>
>tfw you'll never turn into a giant worm and have your best bro Duncan cuck you because you can't satisfy the woman you love

Why even live?
>>
>>335943045
its not very steep at all if you're good at understanding some basic RTS strats

some advice for dune 2k:
>static defenses are good for buying time, almost useless in the event you get rushed.
>mobility is your god; quads with a few trikes + cheap infantry wins almost every engagement
>unique units (sonic tanks, devestators, etc.) are practically useless; use them sparingly unless you have the time to amass them.
>the main battle tanks is the best bang for your buck outside of infantries; cheap to build and easy to spam. You will win several difficult missions just by building nothing but battle tanks.
>>
>>335933670
Warhammer 40k is garbage.

We need a proper Dune action RPG, give the IP to CDProjekt Red. They'll sort it out.
>>
>>335943045
Dune 2 is pretty good but a bit dated, you might not be your cup of tea. DuNE 2k Plays just like red alert or the old c&c games.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.