[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me /v/ Why was the game good, but why was the movie more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 14
File: RatchetandCLUNKED.png (221 KB, 796x334) Image search: [Google]
RatchetandCLUNKED.png
221 KB, 796x334
Tell me /v/

Why was the game good, but why was the movie more of a "clunk than a clank" ???
>>
One Ratchet and Clank movie clanked
>>
I refuse to believe it's this bad
>>
>>335869915
Because in the game you interact through gameplay. In a movie, cutscenes and character action drive the movie.
>>
>>335869915
>>335872962

Let me continue. I saw the movie and I played the game. While I, a person familiar with the lore and backstory, enjoyed it, many newcomers (which aren't many since my screening was empty as fuck), are going to be totally lost. Qwark feels more like the main character than R&C do and whatever development R&C do have is far and forgotten. There's nothing really here that separates it from any other generic CGI fest. Surprisingly, the GAME told the story better than the movie did.

Shit happens, anon. Better to just let it go.
>>
Making movies based on video games is an inherently bad idea.
>>
$8-10m projected opening and I thought that was really bad until I learned the budget was only $12m to make the movie. It's clear Sony didn't give a single fuck
>>
>>335873163
>lore and backstory
>>
>>335869915
The critics didn't play the game before seeing the movie, and it's kind of a requirement. You get the story through the lens of Qwark retelling it, and then the movie is "what actually happened"

Like I had a lot of unanswered questions in the game and seeing the movie, I understand the game better now. Everything is explained pretty well.

The second half of the movie is worth sitting through the lame first act.
>>
>>335873961
that's fucking retarded

the movie should be able to stand on its own as an independent story
>>
>Make video game movie
>Video game is less entertaining than just watching the cutscenes of one of the games on YouTube

How do you fuck up this bad?
>>
>>335874082
Well it doesn't. And since the credits list this as "A PlayStation Original", and there are references to Daxter and Sly in one scene, you can be sure there are more like this in the pipeline

it also ends on a super blatant cliffhanger.

The weird thing for me is that the game and movie have completely different endings.

the only explanation i can think of is that qwark's telling of the story is supposed to be inaccurate and the movie is "the real story"
>>
>>335869915
Movie was ok. really, any problems it have would have to do with the writing by TJ Fixman. he's written the Future games, which always had mixed results in humor, and the stories were fairly tropey. while, for the most part, the story could be given more slack since the gameplay worked so well, removing it and youve got pretty much what the new movie is: hit and miss humor, trying too hard to be quippy and snarky in alot of respects, and some of the edge from the other games is dulled to appeal to a younger crowd. ultimately, to me it isnt a surprise that the new movie isnt being loved by critics. but, seeing it as a fan, it had its moments, it had some funny lines. the voice acting was pretty good. if you arent a fan, or really anyone who has played the PS2, what charms it has is lost on you.
>>
Sony wasn't committed to make anything more than standard kiddy fodder. The budget, I'm assuming, must be non-existant since it looks like shit and has C grade actors as marketing pulls.
>>
>>335869915
I wonder if the user reviews will be any different.
>>
>>335869915
The game was OK at best
>>
File: bored-girl.jpg (118 KB, 600x407) Image search: [Google]
bored-girl.jpg
118 KB, 600x407
>>335869915
>kick some asteroid
>>
>>335875375
k
>>
File: 1423376118061.png (416 KB, 616x616) Image search: [Google]
1423376118061.png
416 KB, 616x616
>See one review
>Says it was an 8/10 and fans will love
>Come to /v/ to celebrate
>First thread I see is this
>Mfw

Is nothing sacred?
>>
>>335869915
It's a little sad, and ironic, that one of the most diverse and expansive universes in Sony's roster of IPs is being called "run of the mill" and "generic".

I am like 99% sure Sony had something to do with the film playing it INCREDIBLY safe. no adult jokes or anything for someone older than 15 to appreciate (honestly? hardly any actual jokes until the 3rd act)

i think it speaks volumes that i almost got excited when qwark pulled out what looked like a Suck Cannon... only for it to be some weaksauce ice beam gun

like really, they have SO MANY weapons in Ratchetverse and they picked all the most boring ones.

even the newest RYNO is so "meh", especially since you can see a bunch of better RYNOs in the Museum
>>
>>335875692
It's just a crack in time's ryno with the ryno IV skin
>>
>>335869915
There's no such thing as a good video game movie.
At best you can hope it's entertainingly bad.
>>
>Sony studios

All of their movies in the past 2-3 have been terrible
>>
>>335869915
The game was good gameplay wise but the story was garbage so its no wonder the movie is getting panned
>>
File: 1460204263412.jpg (233 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1460204263412.jpg
233 KB, 500x750
>>335874773
This exactly.
>>
>>335869915
Reminded me of the new Archer season.

There are scenes that build up to a 'punchline moment'... with no punchline, or just a generic comment with no inherent comedy to it. And then it screen wipes like this is supposed to be Star Wars-esque and it totally isn't
>>
>>335874773
I'm okay with this. If real ratchet fans can get some enjoyment out of it then I don't care what some critic/non-fan has to say about it.
>>
File: 1436457440925.png (481 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1436457440925.png
481 KB, 1920x1080
>>335869915
Did you like the games? Are you a huge fan who loves nods towards your favorite characters/parts of the series? Then you'll love the movie despite the awful story.

Did you not give a shit about them? Then it's a waste of a ticket and 1 1/2 hours of misery and constant eye-rolling.

I saw the screening with Insomniac Games in NC, and the whole event was pretty magical. Got to go through a fun QnA and find out why some worlds were cut and why the game was a lot shorter than the first original one.

I got blueballed as fuck when Clank used that rain maker gun. I thought it was the Rift Inducer with a new skin.
>>
Because video games have lower standards.
>>
>>335869915
It's more of a generic kids movie with a Ratchet skin rather than a Ratchet movie.
>>
>>335874773
Actually it was so bad that even TJ Fixman wanted nothing to do with it
>>
>>335875692
Why couldn't Sony get the Cloudy with a chance of meatballs team to make the movie?
>>
File: x5.png (360 KB, 734x614) Image search: [Google]
x5.png
360 KB, 734x614
STILL ON TOP

1 BILLION SALES HERE WE COME BABY
>>
>all those bad reviews crying about how the movie doesn't have a message like Pixar or Animated Disney movies

basically the movie doesn't take itself too serious and that's bad.
>>
>>335879423
I dunno. The sad thing is that Insomniac held off for years on making this movie because they wanted to make sure it had a good script and a competent team making it.

I mean visually it sure looks good... too bad it literally never goes any deeper than its shiny graphics
>>
>>335873695
>I learned the budget was only $12m to make the movie
I think more people should do this, I really dont see why the money hungry entertainment industry wastes so much time on frivolities that every flick costs a hundred million to make before marketing
>>
>>335879612
Lol, they got the Barbie team and writers so bad that TJ Fixman deserted them.

Honestly Ratchet was the worst for a movie though. Sly could make a nice Oceans 11 ripoff and Jak works for a childsafe epic adventure, but Ratchet relies too much on short levels and killing
>>
>>335879454
i saw this movie. there's good torrent copy that just released.

it was pretty bad.
the Bunny who happens to be a cop is a REALLY bad role model for kids.

she overlooks crimes if it helps her out.
she befriends the Mafia.
she uses torture method on one of the animal.
she plants evidence inside a private property just to make the fox get in,so she can get in without a warrant.

the list goes on ....

1 and 40mins of shit just to tell you that everyone is a little bit racist.
>>
last year i worked in a movie theater.
they screened this movie around February.
the only reason i remember is because they gave out swag bags to the people who attended and i got one.

i talked to one of the people who saw it and he said it was very faithful with the game story and character arcs.
>>
>>335879763
>muh role models
I could not even begin to describe to you how little anybody with a functioning brain actually cares about this shit.
>>
>>335878557
I was hoping for more references than we got honestly. I was struggling to understand what audience this film was made for the whole time.

A few of the retcons in the film that weren't mentioned in the game made me groan

why the fuck does nefarious have to be "the guy who made every single gun and gadget" like fuck

not every gadget needed its own backstory, and honestly nefarious didn't need more backstory either.

compare the movie's convoluted profile of Nefarious (former ranger?? why???) and the hasty robotization at the end to his original backstory: being bullied in high school by qwark (who was held back multiple times), became a robot after qwark defeats him bam done
>>
>>335874082
and yet so many people praise star wars 7 huh
>>
>>335880017
because all the reviews says the movie has a good message for kids. and that they should take their kids to see it.

my niece and nephew fell for that trap because Schools made the kids see this movie.
>>
>>335879763
>role models

Lmao

Bet you actually think it's the media that makes girls act like sluts
>>
>>335880193
Reviews are stupid. You are stupid.
>>
>>335873163
literally the most well thought out and straight to the fucking point post. just read this
>>
>>335869915
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

J U S T
U
S
T
>>
>>335880230
>go to Twitter
>see kim Ks page
>20+ million followers
>most of them Teens 14+
>she post pics of he naked
>working out like those instahoes
>Sister Kylie does this too
>media says it's empowering

gee,I wonder how these girls will grow up to be...

can't wait for them to be in STEM field jobs.
>>
So a half-assed game and a mediocre movie to go with it. I'm not surprised at all that the game turned out the way it did but that's too bad about the movie.
>>
>>335869915
The Flanderization of Ratchet reached critical levels in this movie. I don't care if Asshole Ratchet wasn't their original intention for him, at least then he had some emotions

Remember the face he made in the original when he found out Veldin was Drek's next target? Clank even asks like "dude are you okay"

nothing like that in the movie
>>
File: Sly-Cooper-Movie-600x300.jpg (42 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
Sly-Cooper-Movie-600x300.jpg
42 KB, 600x300
>>335869915
Ratchet and Clank movie nails the visuals and ends up a shitty movie.

Sly Cooper movie departs from the games' visuals. Does this mean it'll be good? Please tell me this means it'll be good.
>>
>>335880017
It's a kids movie sure, but it tries very hard to present a moral to the story, so it is a pretty bad oversight
>>
what if Warcraft gets a lower review?

from what i heard from people who have attended the Screenings,the movie is not that good. and it only serves to set up a sequel.
>>
>>335880595
some would argue Sly hasn't been good since PS2 anyway
>>
>>335880595
Murray actually looks okay from the side, he just needs some patchy body hair on his armpits and back
>>
>>335880676
I liked Sly 4. Doesn't do anything special, but it's good enough.
>>
>>335880613
So, par for the course. Stop the presses.
>>
>>335869915
Because Ratchet and Clank's story fucking sucks and doesn't have enough meat on it to make a fucking movie. Remove the gameplay from the video game and you're left with shit.
>>
>>335869915
Ratchet and Clank's cut scene writing has always been extremely poorly written, filled with completely unfunny attempts at "humor".

If the games hadn't existed and a Ratchet and Clank script landed on a producers desk in Hollywood he would have laughed himself to tears (at the script, not with the script) before dropping the pages into a trashcan. And they don't exactly have high standards in Hollywood.

The games were only good because they were fun to play. The attempts at telling a story, or character dialogue or whatever was always an embarrassment to the gaming industry.
>>
>>335875563
We are just /v/
Enjoy what you enjoy anon
Go watch the movie then come tell us what you thought about it you bipolar little rascal you :)
>>
This doesn't bode well for Sly Cooper.
>>
>>335879696
because with a peasly $12m they obviously spent it all on the star-studded voice cast, none of which sound like they care about their roles at all outside the original cast. and none of that money goes toward what I would argue is the most important fucking part of making a film: THE SCRIPT

the best way i can describe the script of this movie is "rice paper in music form" that dissolves almost the moment it reaches your ears.
>>
Fuck movies
>sit there for 2 hours
>literally gain nothing
Play vidya
>sit there for 2 hours
>have fun
>>
>>335881153
k
>>
File: dcasuals on suicide watch.png (773 KB, 1476x609) Image search: [Google]
dcasuals on suicide watch.png
773 KB, 1476x609
>>335879454
Can anybody stop Disney's rampage?
>>
>>335874874
I wouldn't call Stallone "C-grade", he is still pretty expensive to hire I'd imagine, not that he made any effort whatsoever with Victor Von Ion.
>>
>>335881526
>BvS defenders try to paint MCU as silly quipfest and paint BvS as serious and thought-provoking
>Civil War gets praised by critics as being serious and thought-provoking while BvS gets blasted by critics

Huh.
>>
>>335880271
Welcome to stupidland. Stupid.
>>
I never saw a trailer for it. Didn't even know they were making a movie. It's bad because its obviously made for kids, and they didn't care to waste expenses in hiring actual talent to make it.

The theater release is odd though. You'd think they'd go straight to home video for a clunker like this.
>>
>>335881865
pretentious people like zack snyder think it's okay to do dumb shit if you claim theres some deeper meaning to it. even if the entire movie is just depressing fight sequences that make no sense, with horrible editing and wooden actors, they can say "you just don't get what I was going for, idiot"
>>
>>335880661
Because WC3 is the only one people want to see.
>>
>>335879729
Sly movie is already being made
>>
>>335871941
Anon I...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYkQxojtTG0
>>
>>335881316

Maybe Sony will fire them and get new writers
>>
>>335880130
>Nefarious (former ranger?? why???)

you can't be serious
>>
>>335883046
i am, sadly. they just casually reveal that nefarious used to be a techie working for the Rangers, and in that time he apparently made ALL their guns and gadgets. they hastily give him motive by saying he went insane working for the rangers, and became evil because they wouldn't give him a nicer office/lab

it's even less exciting than it sounds

also the game itself doesn't even bother to tell you any of the character's motives. that's why it feels like you are meant to play the game and hear the story as Qwark spins it, then see the movie and get all those missing details filled in. unfortunately even with the plotholes filled in, it's not a terribly interesting plot to begin with. the fun and excitement of the original PS2 game is basically gone, all teeth removed
>>
File: emojimovie.jpg (69 KB, 1102x620) Image search: [Google]
emojimovie.jpg
69 KB, 1102x620
>tfw the Emoji movie will have better reviews and make more money than R&C
Is this the end of Playstation Originals movies?
>>
File: 1461194552526.png (281 KB, 535x466) Image search: [Google]
1461194552526.png
281 KB, 535x466
>>335875563
> Come to /v/ to celebrate
>>
>>335879423
>>335879612
Too Expensive. Despite all the Sony circle jerking on the internet, Sony still has a long way to go before they reach their former glory. I don't say this to start a fight, realistically though, this movie began when Sony was making massive transitions similar to what Nintendo is doing now.
>>
>>335874773

TJ dropped from the project 2 years ago. He only provided the first draft
>>
>>335881526

>Posting Civil War
>Not Jungle Book
>>
>>335885096
coincidentally the last time i looked at the writing credits.
>>
File: image.jpg (181 KB, 1232x1405) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
181 KB, 1232x1405
>>335879763
>>
>>335883489

>Man, Warner killed it with The Lego Movie
>Let's do the same thing but completely miss the point
>>
The PS4 game has great gameplay but is tied down to the story of a shit film
>>
>>335881426
> they obviously spent it all on the star-studded voice cast
Holy fuck this, nobody gives a shit that a celebrity is doing a voice for a character in a film
>>
>>335869915
>Why was the game good
It wasn't. It's a garbage remake with 1/3 of the game cut and worse humor.
>>
File: 1458540397492.jpg (8 KB, 215x234) Image search: [Google]
1458540397492.jpg
8 KB, 215x234
>>335869915
>anything Sony related
>good
>>
>>335885779
And shit weapons
>>
>>335885713
the worst part is that the stars they hired for the movie don't even do a particularly good job.

zed felt like they reskinned Sigurd from Crack In Time and put him on the bad guy side instead of being a good guy. in the game their voices sound almost identical
>>
>>335882893
Holy shit that was fucking unbearable. I dont even hate children's movies, I thought zootopia was enjoyable, but that was fucking cringe worthy
>>
>>335885908
The only thing worse than that clip are it's YouTube comments.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.